PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Firmware v1.7.5.9 CR4

Oleg
14-08-2004, 19:05
New custom firmware (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-1.7.5.9-4.zip) available which is based on "old" 1.7.5.9 series. Sources, including kernel patches and rootfs is here (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/).

The changes are:

Added QoS (and wondershaper) support
Added Telstra BigPond support (intergrated to the web) (credits to rwhitby)
Recompiled dropbear ssh daemon for RSA/DSS support and pubkey authentication
Updated squashfs to 2.0
Source tree adjusted to rebuild kernel and it's dependencies
Australian timezones patch
Workaround ASUS bug in dynamic dns code (wlanutil nslookup empty output)

For details on wondershaper & updating ssh instalations please read this page (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/).

rwhitby
14-08-2004, 22:59
The changes are:

Recompiled dropbear ssh daemon for RSA/DSS support and pubkey authentication
Updated squashfs to 2.0
Source tree adjusted to rebuild kernel and it's dependencies

Oleg also incorporated my Australian timezone patches.

Also, the BigPond support in this release will not work because rc.bpalogin was incorporated at the top level of the source tree instead of in extra/init/rc.bpalogin (and it also needs to be ugo+x). I'm sure Oleg will release a -5 today to fix this :-)

Oleg, I also submitted a patch which makes the /init/rc.dnsmasq script append the contents of /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf to /etc/dnsmasq.conf before starting dnsmasq. This is useful for adding additional options for dnsmasq (like static IP addresses based on something other than the MAC address, or turning on DNS logging). Could you incorporate it in -5 please? I've attached it to this message.

The new dropbear support is working perfectly for me :-)

-- Rod

Oleg
15-08-2004, 08:56
Oops... BPA users should wait for the 1.7.5.9-5...

Phantome
15-08-2004, 10:22
i can't get wondershaper to start, seems like there is something wrong in the
config file. I'm using 1.7.5.9-4 rootfs

running /init/wshaper start gives me this error

Cannot find device "root"
Error: Qdisc "1:" is classless.
Error: Qdisc "1:1" is classless.
/init/wshaper: 69: Syntax error: 9*/10

adar
15-08-2004, 12:20

example:
/init/wshaper start "eth1" 1000 220

"eth1" => device name wl500g contains br0 , eth0 , eth1 ,eth2
1000 => DOWNLINK rate
220 => UPLINK rate
above is what I know.

And I also have some questions ,too.
for example:

I don't understand what the different between br0, eth0,eth1,eth2?

When I set "eth1" 10 10 ,it works on the 4 port lan and the wireless.

but I set "eth2" 10 10 ,it only works on the wireless.

And I set "eth2" 1000 10 , but my wireless device do FTP download with 10 Kbits/s,
and when I set "eth2" 10 1000 ,the wirless do FTP download with 1000 Kbits/s
Is it normal case?

I try to study the wshaper's setup.
anyone have good sample?
thanks!

forgive my bad English.

And thanks Oleg so much.

lexi
15-08-2004, 17:44
I have some problems rebuilding Oleg's firmeware. I followed the instructions at http://wl500g.dyndns.org/. Patching the kernel sources went fine without any errors, but make linux gives (after a while) me errors:

make[4]: Entering directory `/ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/drivers/net/et'
rm -f et.o
mipsel-linux-ld -r -o et.o /ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/../../et/linux/et_linux.o /ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/../../et/linux/etc.o /ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/../../et/linux/etc47xx.o /ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/../../et/linux/etc_robo.o /ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/../../et/linux/etc_adm.o
mipsel-linux-ld: cannot open /ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/../../et/linux/et_linux.o: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [et.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/drivers/net/et'
make[3]: *** [_modsubdir_et] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/drivers/net'
make[2]: *** [_modsubdir_net] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux/drivers'
make[1]: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ASUS/ASUS/WL500gb_1.7.5.6_GPL/release/src/linux/linux'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Note that the kernel was built fine, only building modules gives errors. Any hints how to resolve my problems?

Oleg
16-08-2004, 12:04
I have some problems rebuilding Oleg's firmeware. I followed the instructions at http://wl500g.dyndns.org/. Patching the kernel sources went fine without any errors, but make linux gives (after a while) me errors:Note that the kernel was built fine, only building modules gives errors. Any hints how to resolve my problems?
Seems you've missed et patch...

Oleg
16-08-2004, 12:29
I try to study the wshaper's setup.
anyone have good sample?
thanks!

eth0 is LAN ports, eth1 is the WAN port, eth2 is the WLAN port. shaping eth1 & eth2 results in args for download & upload being swapped, it's normal.

Oleg
16-08-2004, 12:32

Read wl500g.dyndns.org page first.

mr.destroyer
16-08-2004, 13:23
Is the Implementet WonderShaper controlled by Commandlines for GURU users, or is it in the Web-page config ?

im not to happy by controlling stuff via cmd lines...

would be gr8 if it was Webpage configured..

so... is it ?

if not.. will it be in future releases...?

Antiloop
16-08-2004, 14:25
Is the Implementet WonderShaper controlled by Commandlines for GURU users, or is it in the Web-page config ?

im not to happy by controlling stuff via cmd lines...

would be gr8 if it was Webpage configured..

so... is it ?

if not.. will it be in future releases...?

no.. someday it will, or you could fix a webconfig for it and mail it to Oleg, so he will integrate it

Phantome
16-08-2004, 19:37
Read wl500g.dyndns.org page first.

got it working :) but was misslead by your $1 (/init/wshaper start "$1" 1000 220) , after changing that to eth1 it's up and running.

Oleg
16-08-2004, 19:43
If you read carefully, $1 supposed to be in post-firewall script, so it will be "substituted" by WAN interface (either eth1 or ppp0) automatically.
Regards, Oleg.

shopping
17-08-2004, 02:41
anybody who can explain how to use these two in 1.7.5.9 cr4?

-- i didn't found directly setting in firmware

-- what 's that thing? any reference i can read?

Antiloop
17-08-2004, 08:08
anybody who can explain how to use these two in 1.7.5.9 cr4?

-- i didn't found directly setting in firmware

??? where can you find directly settings than?
you probably mean webconfig, no it isn't added yet

-- what 's that thing? any reference i can read?
the firmware sources maybe ?
anyway a search on the word 'bigpond' would have given you the answers, and that's that those are incorperated and thus in the source and that you can get those from rwhitby

pipos
17-08-2004, 08:50
Hi

I want to ask if it's possible to make a per IP shaping with this firmware.
for example, i want to shape user with ip 10.0.0.1 to 64kbit/32kbit,
user with ip 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 to 128kbit/64kbit....etc.

Could you send me config for this example if it's possible..

Thankx

Oleg
17-08-2004, 09:54
Hi

yes. Do it youself, firmware already includes everything you need. :D

Styno
17-08-2004, 15:11
Hi

Could you send me config for this example if it's possible..

Thankx
I'll try to spend some time on it this evening (except when its good weather) and make a WIKI page for it. So please check back in a coupple of days :)

Styno
17-08-2004, 22:40
Wiki page is up here : http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/PackageWondershaper. Everybody is invited to add his/her knowledge here. :)

All Questions and remarks on Wondershaper can go here (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752)

Thorz
18-08-2004, 05:55
Wiki page is up here : http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/PackageWondershaper. Everybody is invited to add his/her knowledge here. :)

All Questions and remarks on Wondershaper can go here (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752)

Thanks for the WIKI page and thanks to Oleg for this firmware.
I don't understand something:

You speak on the WIKI about "For old BootCmd users" and "For post-boot users". I don't know which one I have to use. I have been forwarded by Oleg to Wondershaper from other thread because the problem related to WAN port dying. ATM the only configuration that my router has was made in the web admin interface http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp :

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full"
nvram commit

I guess that the Wondershaper activation commands can be inserted in this web admin interface as well right?

Questions:

1. Will these commands be permanently configured to execute automatically at boot time as the ones above?
2. My configuration is ADSL DHCP only (no PPPoE) 2048/256. These the values that I have to use, right?

Looking my previous commands I guess that I have to use (please correct me if I am wrong):

nvram bootCmd1="/init/wshaper eth1 2048 256"
nvram commit

But you say that this "is now obsoleted by post-boot script". I am not sure how to use the thing in "post-boot script" way.

I apreciate the help. It would be nice to explain this topic with a little more detail for clarifying doubts. There are many of us that like to try Wondershaper for solving issues like the WAN port dying one, but the thing looks a little complex to use, and I am sure it is not.

Styno
18-08-2004, 09:17
Okay, fair question. I try to simplify the tech talk in this forum on the WIKI page in order to assist newbie's (NOFI) in using as much functionality as possible. It seems there are still a few blind spots here and there :). I'll try to fill in some in the WIKI page...

For now: You are really close to the answer. BootCmd's are the way Asus lets us save configuration options between reboots. Since Oleg added squashfs to the firmware, there is some room left for a configuration partition in the flash of the router, by implementing flashfs. This partion is by default empty but you can add post-boot configuration files there, hence the 'post-boot users'. The post-boot method is cleaner, more efficient and more flexible then the bootCmd's. However, there is still a drawback: you have to do the configuration using telnet on the router itself using an editor like vi.

Hope this helps :) Oleg has also some info on the post-boot stuff here (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/).

PS. Read the first post and the content of its links, they are very useful!

Thorz
18-08-2004, 10:15
in order to assist newbie's (NOFI)!

No offence m8 :) I consider myself less than a newbie for Linux, my first contact with Tux was after buying this router :).

You are really close to the answer. BootCmd's are the way Asus lets us save configuration options between reboots.

and I preffer to continue using them for now if they provide the same functionality and don't have any drawbacks or performance hits, I understand the structure of these commands already and I have a ton of things to do ATM that make virtually immpossible for me to dedicate the time for learning the post-boot method. I will wait for your updated version of the WIKI and then I will maybe try the other method. Probably in the weekend I can dedicate myself to study the post-booting way that looks very interesting and flexible.

However, there is still a drawback: you have to do the configuration using telnet on the router itself using an editor like vi.

Exactly this is what I am speaking about :D This is the first time that I hear about "vi". The thing sounds like a radioactive stuff, "dangerous in the wrong hands" :D

Anyway: Can I use safety the commands that I posted up? How low must the speed values be compared to my total down/up speeds? If I have 2048/256 can I use something like 2012/220, leaving a free 36k channel up/down for the use of QoS? Or is this too much and I could go to lets say a 16k channel up/down? My main use is: Heavy downloading / uploading using P2P (bittorrent with Azureus), at the same time surf and mail (the usual stuff)

Thanks for the answers.

Styno
18-08-2004, 13:30
Anyway: Can I use safety the commands that I posted up? How low must the speed values be compared to my total down/up speeds? If I have 2048/256 can I use something like 2012/220, leaving a free 36k channel up/down for the use of QoS? Or is this too much and I could go to lets say a 16k channel up/down? My main use is: Heavy downloading / uploading using P2P (bittorrent with Azureus), at the same time surf and mail (the usual stuff)

Thanks for the answers.
You can use:

nvram bootCmd1="/init/wshaper eth1 2048 256"
nvram commit
to setup the QoS service AFAIK.

The comments in the script state you should 'play' with the upload/download speeds for optimal performance, but a 16k headroom should be a good starter. Good luck.

PS. Further Wondershaper questions here (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752) please.