PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Wireless: Limited or no connectivity

ChroMe
14-11-2006, 18:59
Hey there,

Up till now, my Asus WL-500g has been working perfect - without a glitch. Untill yesterday, when it went totally wrong for some odd reason. I had bought a USB2.0 external disk, connected it to my router & made a FTP server...this worked perfect besides the fact that I couldn't reach it outside my network. I toyed around a bit, scrolled through these forums, read tutorials etc...all in vein, since I ended just where I started: FTP-server couldn't be reached from WAN. I decided to upgrade my firmware, and I went for Oleg's firmware, version: 1.9.2.7-7f (I have no idea if this is relevant to my problem though).

At first sight Oleg's firmware was perfect (and I'm sure it still is, alot of new options...I am impressed) but a new problem came up which up till now I can't get fixed: I can't seem to make a wireless connection to my router anymore. Everything is fine when I connect my PC to my router by cable, but going wireless just won't work. Windows/Intel ProSet-wireless keeps on giving me the error message: Limited or no connectivity & that my PC did not get a network adress. I have tested this on 2 computers.

I have DHCP enabled on my router, hence DHCP gives me an IP when I connect through UTP but it fails to do so when I try to go wireless. I have downgraded/upgraded my firmware like +10 times (each time a different firmware version). I have restored my router to factory settings also +10 times, either in the control panel or pushing the 'restore'-button on the backside of my router. I have made wireless networks totally unsecured (open) or WPA-PSK+TKIP. Result: my problem is still not fixed.

Anyone here who can help me? I have no idea what I can still do to fix this, it's starting to annoy me since I have spent hours and hours testing and still I can't get it fixed :(

UPDATE:
A small update concerning my problem. It seems now that I can somtimes get an IP when connecting to the wireless network, but for example surfing the internet does not work. I can't even open the WL-500g control panel (192.168.1.1), hence, if I ping to 192.168.1.1 it usually gives me several time-outs, and sometimes I get a reply.

max2950
15-11-2006, 07:34
First i would deactivate "exotic feature" in the Wireless advanced tab.
I had troubles with a Marvell Libertas based WLAN adapter and activating Frame Bursting and WMM....

I can see that you are using an Intel adapter, i had one and changed it for a Ralink. I had lots of trouble with this adapter, not only with the Asus...
For example with a netgear acces point the speed suddenly dropped to 1Mbps whereas i was sitting 1 meter apart from the acess point....

Dis the 2 computers you've teste have the same WLAN adapter ?

ChroMe
15-11-2006, 07:59
First i would deactivate "exotic feature" in the Wireless advanced tab.
I had troubles with a Marvell Libertas based WLAN adapter and activating Frame Bursting and WMM....

I can see that you are using an Intel adapter, i had one and changed it for a Ralink. I had lots of trouble with this adapter, not only with the Asus...
For example with a netgear acces point the speed suddenly dropped to 1Mbps whereas i was sitting 1 meter apart from the acess point....

Dis the 2 computers you've teste have the same WLAN adapter ?

At the moment I have Frame Bursting & WMM enabled, but I will disable these functions as soon as I get home (@school now). I do wonder though, don't these settings get reset once I restore my router to factory settings?

The 2 computers I tested it with do not have the same WLAN Adapter as far as I know. 1 computer is a laptop (Centrino with Wireless embedded - 2200BG, using Intel ProSet/Wireless 10.5.0.1) and another computer is a desktop using the Asus WL-138g wireless networkcard (I manage my wireless connections through the Windows Wireless-utility on this computer). Both worked splendid before, wouldn't it be weird if they wouldn't all of the sudden?

Thanks for helping, I'll keep you updated ASAP. :)

max2950
15-11-2006, 12:02
At the moment I have Frame Bursting & WMM enabled, but I will disable these functions as soon as I get home (@school now). I do wonder though, don't these settings get reset once I restore my router to factory settings?

The 2 computers I tested it with do not have the same WLAN Adapter as far as I know. 1 computer is a laptop (Centrino with Wireless embedded - 2200BG, using Intel ProSet/Wireless 10.5.0.1) and another computer is a desktop using the Asus WL-138g wireless networkcard (I manage my wireless connections through the Windows Wireless-utility on this computer). Both worked splendid before, wouldn't it be weird if they wouldn't all of the sudden?

Thanks for helping, I'll keep you updated ASAP. :)

Did you try to change the channel ? Maybe some other device (other AP, cordless phone...) is causing interferences....

ChroMe
15-11-2006, 21:40
Did you try to change the channel ? Maybe some other device (other AP, cordless phone...) is causing interferences....

My problem has been solved.

My solution? I unhooked the power cable, went grabbing some food, put the power cable back in to start some testing...and voila, the darn thing did what it should have done all this freaking time. Me, to be very honest, sees no logic in this but I'm glad it is solved.

Hours & hours of searching/reading/testing only to find out that pulling the plug & putting it back in would fix this...Oh god.

Thanks very much for the help max2950 ! :D

max2950
15-11-2006, 21:54
Thanks very much for the help max2950 ! :D

You're welcome !;)

SeverusSnape
13-12-2006, 10:55
Hello TS

I still have the same problem like you, last week I purchased a new notebook because my Asus A2500H became slow for me, and my dad decided to take it with him abroad.

The notebook has an Intel wireless adapter, and I experience the same problems as the TS. My network is found with 5/5 signal thingies, and even my neighbours network is found (Thats how I am typing this message now, thank you fool-without-security)

I Tested the connection with another pc, and I also have the problem, so I decided to look at the router. Renewed the antenna (after 3 or 4 years) and updated the firmware. But still I have troubles with a stable wireless connection (while my neighbours connection can be online for hours..but thats 128Kbit/128Kbit so not my kind of internet, when you are used at 15Mbit/2Mbit and 100/100Mbits)