PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Intersil nitro not connectable

justwords
27-12-2003, 14:37
I tried to connect a Notebook with built-in Intersil nitro chip (802.11g) to my asus - but the notebook will not find the router. I tried every setting 802.11b, 54g, with or without WEP - no signal! I also switched off nitro mode on the notebook. Any hints? (The notebook is the autumn model of the german discounter ALDI)

frank
27-12-2003, 20:07
do you mean the medion md40100 notebook? i had evrything on default on the router and win xp and it works perfect, donīt forget to activate the wlan by the special wlan button above the keybord, the most right button. I had some more troubles installing the encreption, but get it in the end. did you connect with other routers?

justwords
27-12-2003, 20:20
Really? Yes it is the medion md40100. Windows XP shows the wlan card as working - could it be that you still need to activate wlan? My father-in-law (who bought the medion md 40100) said he found no hint about a wlan button.

frank
27-12-2003, 20:29
ithe wlan needs to be activated, with the most right round button above the keyboard, above the button is a dot with 2 1/4 circles the most left ligth underneath the screen is the same symbol when activated this light is orange

justwords
31-12-2003, 14:37
Yes, the button has to be pressed. Now the card sees my network ssid, but cannot connect. Strangely if i disable WEP, the notebook cannot see my network anymore. Tried with various settings.

frank
02-01-2004, 18:53
ifyou set evrything to default at your w500g dwz open system, and no block of sending ssid adn evrything on default on winxp so no wep no network verification it should work with no problem

Antiloop
02-01-2004, 21:03
Originally posted by frank
ifyou set evrything to default at your w500g dwz open system, and no block of sending ssid adn evrything on default on winxp so no wep no network verification it should work with no problem

FYI, with defaults for wlan I was not able to connect to the wl500g... (especially the broadcast ssid (enabled) gave me problems)

Snigel
07-01-2004, 05:28
Before you make a thread like this you should really think over things like:

Does my computer work with other wlans?
If so at what speed, 11/54?
have you changed anything to make the other lan work, maybe you need to restore the settings or make the same changes for your home wlan.

Does other computer works with my wlan?
If no, check your router out, have you changed something in the settings? restore
Update the firmware.

If any other computers work with your wlan without changeing any settings, do they work with the other wlan your computer can connect to?

This is by the way a technical question question, have you seen the sticky stating "Do Not Post Technical Questions Here " ?

justwords
07-01-2004, 08:00
Hm, what i really asked about was a detailed "how to" regarding this specific medion notebook (i should have included the model number in the topic maybe), not a technical question about nitro chipsets - in theory, this connection should work but it might be little details in the way how you handle settings etc.. So i think it should be the right forum to post the question.

Thanks for the suggestion about trying out. I am sorry i only have one wlan i can try out - however, it works with airport extreme 802.11g (broadcom chip in iBook G4) and a old 802.11b intersil prism pc-card in a windows xp-notebook. In fact the network showed up in its present setting (54gLRS, 54g-protection, only 11 mbit, WEP 128 open and shared key) on the nitro-notebook, but i could not connect. But strangely enough as soon as i switched off WEP and changed other settings, the notebook could not even see my wireless network. Maybe this is a problem of XP/XP-drivers as well.

Antiloop
07-01-2004, 12:43
Originally posted by Snigel
Before you make a thread like this you should really think over things like:

Does my computer work with other wlans?
If so at what speed, 11/54?
have you changed anything to make the other lan work, maybe you need to restore the settings or make the same changes for your home wlan.

Does other computer works with my wlan?
If no, check your router out, have you changed something in the settings? restore
Update the firmware.

If any other computers work with your wlan without changeing any settings, do they work with the other wlan your computer can connect to?

This is by the way a technical question question, have you seen the sticky stating "Do Not Post Technical Questions Here " ?

smart post... didn't notice that this question was in the howto section.

to exclude misunderstandings, the HowTo forum is intended to post HOWTO's not how you do something (that's a question -> technical)

i'll move this post to the right forum

Snigel
08-01-2004, 06:05
Hmm, intersil worked a bit for you, on your the same laptop?

What are the exact differences between intersil and nitro cards?
are both 11mbit for example?

Have you tried seeing the lan with netstumbler? www.netstumbler.com (the program is mainly for orinoco card but may work for some other chipsets while running xp)

At what distance from the router are these problems, try to be very near when you are searching for the problem.