password: test
host: my.router
port:21

you can use www.flashfxp.com as FTP program

http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/setup/usb-ftp_server.jpg

czech
08-04-2004, 05:57
Hi
I tried to setup (like is showed on your pic) my 500g to be used as FTP server and it didn't work. I used 2 different USB disks - 256 MB memory stick and Toshiba 40 GB. Both of them are USB 2.0 (maybe that's the problem). If I conect them directly to comp, they work properly. But If I conect them to ASUS and I try to open ftp://192.168.1.1 I can't connect to the FTP - WIN showed message, that "server is prolly not working or I don;t have a permission to access the server).

Have you an idea, what's wrong?

thx

Antiloop
08-04-2004, 08:10
please see first if the devices are supported at all

if not or not sure, please search the forum to see how to check if a hd is recognized at all (ie. upgrade to 1.7.5.6 CR1 and check the system log should be enough)

refering to http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=229 isn't a bad idea i think

yanism
18-04-2004, 19:08
Antiloop, you explain how to configure the ftp server for local network (i've the same config) but is this configuration work also to access ftp from internet ?
Or it's necessary to forward 20:21 port ?
Because my ftp work in local but not from outside, my ftp client access to ftp server on port 21 and when it try to do -LIST command it stop.

Technik
19-04-2004, 00:12
Did you try to connect in passive mode as well?
To understand how the FTP connection works check this site: http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Antiloop
19-04-2004, 02:53
indeed.. passive needs to be on.. (isn't this always on by default? flashfxp does it..) also you need the latest firmware (1.7.5.6CR2) in the official 1.7.5.6 you can't use ftp from wan due to a bug

yanism
19-04-2004, 12:32
thank you, i've updated my router with your custom firmware and i will test if it work from wan.
but now i 've this new firmware, the port 23 is open, there is a risk of intrusion ?

chrus
21-04-2004, 11:19
I have found an interesting link how to map a FTP-account as drive in Windows:
http://www.law.drake.edu/technology/docAccess-WebDrive.html

the product site is here:
http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/index.html

Anyone know similiar products (to map a drive)?

Styno
21-04-2004, 16:00
I assume you allready know you can (by standard) create shortcuts in the explorer of Windows 2000/XP?

If not:
- Get the properties of 'My Network Places' (Right mouse button)
- Choose 'Map Network Drive'
- Choose 'Create a shortcut to a Web folder or FTP site'
- Type the appropriate FTP address and the new shortcut is listed directly under 'My Network Places'

NB. You can even supply an username/password by supplying an URL like this:

ftp://user1:password@my.router

So, no need for a commercial package...

yanism
21-04-2004, 19:20
So, no need for a commercial package...
yes but with your solution you can't take a drive letter on your ftp.

chrus
21-04-2004, 19:33
yeah yanism. that feature is needed if you want comfortably load for example MP3 files from various programs.

Styno
22-04-2004, 08:48
Originally posted by chrus
yeah yanism. that feature is needed if you want comfortably load for example MP3 files from various programs. Media player can handle streams from an FTP server, but e.g. Winamp does not.

Mymelody
17-08-2004, 05:33
Dear All,

I'm using 1756 (Asus original firmware).

My case is as same as "Yanism", my ftp server can access by local network very fine but not for outside from Internet.

Since I know nothing on Linux, if I change to use Oleg firmware, I don't know how to type the command sets for this USB-FTP function (access from internet).

Does anyone help to post some step-by-steps?

Thanks! :o :o

Oleg
17-08-2004, 08:15
1.7.5.6 contains bug preventing ftp server being accessed from WAN. Upgrade to 1.7.5.9 or 1.8.1.7 or try 1.7.5.9-5.

Mymelody
17-08-2004, 15:40
Dear Oleg,

I confirm that the USB-FTU (access from Internet) work very fine with
1759-5 firmware and no need any external commands.

Thanks! :) :) :)

lassetyr
08-09-2004, 14:29
I have found an interesting link how to map a FTP-account as drive in Windows:
http://www.law.drake.edu/technology/docAccess-WebDrive.html

the product site is here:
http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/index.html

Anyone know similiar products (to map a drive)?

Haven't tried this yet - but it seems to do the same thing - only it's free...

http://www.mathematics.jhu.edu/help/netuse-webdav.htm

/L

Driek
15-10-2004, 23:33
Hello

I've connected a externel harddisk to the usb.
And when i use anonymous login it seems to work.
But when i try to upload something it doenst work. Downloading does work.

second problem: when i use users to login the ftp is unreachable.

Anyone have a slution for this?

thnkz

kingjolly2000
04-01-2005, 21:34
Hi...
I can connect the disk by LAN.. but not by WAN....
Whats wrong with my configuration???

Antiloop
05-01-2005, 09:14
Hi...
I can connect the disk by LAN.. but not by WAN....
Whats wrong with my configuration???

perhaps you are the problem ?

what should we answer here? you do not supply ANY information at all

how are we supposed to give you a reasonable answer? or are you expecting someone will answer your question at all ?

first GO and READ the FAQ, then USE the search or GOOGLE as written in the FAQ and you will find the answer (chance of 90% the answer is in front of you)

lukie
06-01-2005, 00:15
Perhaps these two folders have to be created manually on the USB drive:

ftp_pub
ftp_pvt

Stingray
11-04-2005, 18:15
Here's a new problem to solve.

I can acces de USB FTP server, but i can't write to it.
I can download from it.

Does anyone got an answer? :confused:

tekmic
26-06-2005, 18:45
I've put a 200 Gb FAT32 formattet disk in the USB. When I login anonymously I'll see the default folders. I cannot upload to the disk.

Then I created a user. The user logs ind OK, but there are no folders visible, and the user cannot upload either.

Can anyone help?

Best regards,
Michael

jclaudej
02-08-2005, 20:26
In fact I have the possibility to access at my ftp file when I am in local network.
But I don't know how to access at my HD USB via the FTP server Asus when I am over Internet.

For exemple :
-ftp://user:password/adressWAN.adressLAN/21

Tha,k a lot for your help :)

loum
07-08-2005, 13:03
It seems that default iptable rules (set when firewall is enabled on the web interface) prevent passive connexions from external network to the router. If you disable the firewall on the web interface, you should get acces to your ftp server.

Nevertheless, this is not a satisfying solution to this problem which seems to be frequently raised on this forum.

If I'm right, the problem is that stupid-ftpd assigns a random port to receive incoming passive connexion and this port must be opened in iptable. Maybe a solution could be to force the server to use a specified range of ports and open them in the firewall.

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong ?

Thanks for your propositions and solutions.

Antiloop
08-08-2005, 01:33
It seems that default iptable rules (set when firewall is enabled on the web interface) prevent passive connexions from external network to the router. If you disable the firewall on the web interface, you should get acces to your ftp server.

Nevertheless, this is not a satisfying solution to this problem which seems to be frequently raised on this forum.

If I'm right, the problem is that stupid-ftpd assigns a random port to receive incoming passive connexion and this port must be opened in iptable. Maybe a solution could be to force the server to use a specified range of ports and open them in the firewall.

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong ?

Thanks for your propositions and solutions.
are you using port 21 or an alternative port?

Antiloop
08-08-2005, 01:34
In fact I have the possibility to access at my ftp file when I am in local network.
But I don't know how to access at my HD USB via the FTP server Asus when I am over Internet.

For exemple :
-ftp://user:password/adressWAN.adressLAN/21

Tha,k a lot for your help :)
use it like this:

ftp://user:password@adressWAN:21/

loum
08-08-2005, 07:10
are you using port 21 or an alternative port?

For security reasons, I'm using an alternative port. I'm not sure to see what kind of problem this could raise since there's no problem to connect on the ftp server on this port, but only when establishing data connection on passive port from external machine.
That's why I was thinking that it could come from the ftp-server/firewall configuration for passive ports.

Thanks for your propositions.

Antiloop
08-08-2005, 09:30
For security reasons, I'm using an alternative port. I'm not sure to see what kind of problem this could raise since there's no problem to connect on the ftp server on this port, but only when establishing data connection on passive port from external machine.
That's why I was thinking that it could come from the ftp-server/firewall configuration for passive ports.

Thanks for your propositions.
yes it is in the FAQ Known Bugs (http://wl500g.info/faq.php?faq=asus_wl_x#faq_knownbugs) issue 21

jclaudej
15-09-2005, 07:31
use it like this:

ftp://user:password@adressWAN:21/

Thank a lot for your help :)
I have always the same problem (impossible to read my USB Key and I tried several key) :confused: perhaps is my firmware 1.9.2.7.
Coudl you give me advice another firmware ?
I use WL500G :)

jclaudej
16-09-2005, 18:55
Thank a lot for your help :)
I have always the same problem (impossible to read my USB Key and I tried several key) :confused: perhaps is my firmware 1.9.2.7.
Coudl you give me advice another firmware ?
I use WL500G :)

After install the firmware 1.9.4.0 I have any problem. :)
But my WL500G refuse the version 1.9.2.7-6b the led PWR flash all the time ??? :confused: