PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : File size limited to 2GByte ???

Hobi
03-11-2006, 21:53
Hi !

I tried to download FC-6-...DVD.iso on the wl700ge which is something like 3.8GByte size. Unfortunately all download methods fail when reaching the size of 2147483647 Bytes which is exactly 2GByte.

Is this weird behaviour acceptable for a newly purchased device like the wl700ge? Do I make a mistake? Has anyone of you managed to store larger files on this device?

I must admit, I'm quite upset that the underlying file system (reiserfs) seems to be limited this way.

Try this:

cat /dev/zero > /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/zero-file

after exactly 2147483647 Bytes the command fails with signal 31 :-((

Hobi

Guru
04-11-2006, 05:17
Hi !

I tried to download FC-6-...DVD.iso on the wl700ge which is something like 3.8GByte size. Unfortunately all download methods fail when reaching the size of 2147483647 Bytes which is exactly 2GByte.

Is this weird behaviour acceptable for a newly purchased device like the wl700ge? Do I make a mistake? Has anyone of you managed to store larger files on this device?

I must admit, I'm quite upset that the underlying file system (reiserfs) seems to be limited this way.

Try this:

cat /dev/zero > /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/zero-file

after exactly 2147483647 Bytes the command fails with signal 31 :-((

Hobi

Do you have the latest firmware 1.0.4.6?
I'm downloading a 18.6GB File so no I dont have the same problem as you do.

MaxCorvette
04-11-2006, 19:21
Downloading with the download manager [build-in torrent client] or an external download [from PC] to the WL-700?
Because I can't download anything bigger than 2GB with the buildin torrent client also.
I'm not sure but I don't think the reiserfs has a 2GB file limit, only the download manager...If it is possible with the download manager then please explain how.

MoD
04-11-2006, 20:03
Downloading with the download manager [build-in torrent client] or an external download [from PC] to the WL-700?
Because I can't download anything bigger than 2GB with the buildin torrent client also.
I'm not sure but I don't think the reiserfs has a 2GB file limit, only the download manager...If it is possible with the download manager then please explain how.

according to http://www.namesys.com/faq.html#reiserfsspecs reiserfs v3.5 has limitation 2GB

Hobi
04-11-2006, 20:44
Hi!

I figured out that the file size of the file system ist not limited to 2GByte, rather than the capability of many installed software components on the WL700 box. This includes busybox, wget and the download manager, which I didn't get to handle larger files than 2GByte. With samba (Windows shares) I can write and access files with more than 2GBytes.

Anyway that is not the way I expected to work with this device. One of the reasons I bought this thing was the download feature, that promised to allow large, slow downloads with the PC turned of.

:-(

Guru
04-11-2006, 23:29
Whatt???
Ok im not sure what limitation you guys are talking about but like I've said in the first post i'm downloading a 18.6GB file plus another 3 other torrents 2gb+ in size, its slow but im at 9% on the large file.

Guru
04-11-2006, 23:31
on the WL 700GE router at night while my computer is off.

fireflash
05-11-2006, 01:22
according to http://www.namesys.com/faq.html#reiserfsspecs reiserfs v3.5 has limitation 2GB

This would all make perfect sense if you couldn't put a file larger than 2gig on the HD via Samba, but I have, so it's not the file system's fault.

MaxCorvette
06-11-2006, 10:05
Reiserfs 3.6 doesn't have this limitation, I'm not sure though wich version is running on the WL-700 router...

Ok im not sure what limitation you guys are talking about but like I've said in the first post i'm downloading a 18.6GB file plus another 3 other torrents 2gb+ in size, its slow but im at 9% on the large file.
I also was able to start downloads of over 2GB but they never finished and data was corrupted :(
I hope all goes well with your downloads, wich firmware version do you have running? I have the first 1.0.4.6 version, not the 1.0.4.6n.
it's not possible with the version I have running, at least not on my router...

I'm still hoping for a modded firmware, but not much going on with this router's firmware, at least I haven't seen it yet.
So far it doen't deliver what it promised, maybe in the distant future..

Guru
06-11-2006, 18:36
Reiserfs 3.6 doesn't have this limitation, I'm not sure though wich version is running on the WL-700 router...

I also was able to start downloads of over 2GB but they never finished and data was corrupted :(
I hope all goes well with your downloads, wich firmware version do you have running? I have the first 1.0.4.6 version, not the 1.0.4.6n.
it's not possible with the version I have running, at least not on my router...

I'm still hoping for a modded firmware, but not much going on with this router's firmware, at least I haven't seen it yet.
So far it doen't deliver what it promised, maybe in the distant future..

I'm using firmware 1.0.4.6n, I finished files over 3gb in size 1 hour ago, DvD movie(works great):D
The 18gb file was cancel last night when my router was unplug by my brother, i did kick his ass
Many of the files in the 18gb folder(music videos) worked with no problem even do the download was cancel at 16%.
This is one big problem, if you power down your router all the files in Download Master will be cancel and you have to start from 0%:( .
The biggest problem for me is the upload speed, I download with 20kbs and upload 30kbs and that kills my bandwidth, if you DL 4-6 torrents all of them will have speeds of 5-10kbs because of the upload speed, surfing the net while downloading it's out of the question, I have to pause all my Downloads when doing so:(

fireflash
06-11-2006, 23:27
The 2gig download limit IS a problem with the current BT client packaged with the router. Perhaps with the 1.0.4.6n update they did quietly they may have fixed it. There is a different version of the client called enhanced-ctorrent which has also fixed the 2gig limit and they did some other enhancements to it. Unfortunately I'm still having issues getting it to compile. In fact I can't even get it to compile normally under Fedora Core 5 to run on an x86 based system, let alone trying to cross-compile it for mipsel.

As a test I started two different downloads, each around 5 gigs each, and neither one of them has made any progress. Another DL I'm running is 848 megs and as been going for almost 24 hours and is only 42% complete. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in it's overall ability to handle Bittorrent downloads. FTP/HTTP works great though. :P

Lyf
07-11-2006, 17:59
As a test I started two different downloads, each around 5 gigs each, and neither one of them has made any progress. Another DL I'm running is 848 megs and as been going for almost 24 hours and is only 42% complete. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in it's overall ability to handle Bittorrent downloads. FTP/HTTP works great though. :P
This is my experience with downloads over 2G as well, if they start at all, they stop after a fraction of the total file size.

MaxCorvette
11-11-2006, 12:14
I can now confirm that in the 1.0.4.6n Firmware version the bittorrent client CAN! download files bigger then 2GB.
I'm downloading a file now and already it's over the 2GB so now it looks like it's working.
I'll come back to write if the download finished well or not.
Looks like the main difference between 1.0.4.6 and 1.0.4.6n is the 2GB limit...
Well it's a start, on to the next firmware :)

Guru
11-11-2006, 20:44
I can now confirm that in the 1.0.4.6n Firmware version the bittorrent client CAN! download files bigger then 2GB.
I'm downloading a file now and already it's over the 2GB so now it looks like it's working.
I'll come back to write if the download finished well or not.
Looks like the main difference between 1.0.4.6 and 1.0.4.6n is the 2GB limit...
Well it's a start, on to the next firmware :)

The problem is we cannot go back to 1.4.0.2 to use the custom firmware that Motd release, If i go back to that version my internet won't even work, it will stop after 15 min.
Will have to wait on a custom firmware for 1.0.4.6n:D

MaxCorvette
12-11-2006, 11:08
Download hasn't finished yet, but is well over 4GB now.
So downgrading isn't possible...that's good to know, before I ever try and waste a lot of time on figuring that out.
Seems that the 1.0.4.6 Firmware contains a lot of compiled code instead of the seperate packages that where put into the 1.0.4.2 firmware.
That seems to explain the big difference in file size.
This also means that it's even harder to make a custom firmware for the 1.0.4.6 version, if at all possible.
For now I can live with the Asus Firmware as the router does what it was intended to do now and no more 2GB limit.
[I'm not using the media server or Photobook option].