PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Change the MiniPCI card??

lexxdark
27-10-2006, 00:06
Has anyoned tried changing the MiniPCI card of the 500gP?? It may be posibble for another MiniPCI card to have a larger radio range? Or is it something related to the power the board gives to the card?

I can easly find a Intel 220 BG in my country (but from what I understand it's not that good)
What card should I search to have a big radio range??

EddieZ
27-10-2006, 15:16
If you want to change the card you'd better buy a router based on that card. Senao for example. Firmware will not work on another card I assume.

lexxdark
27-10-2006, 23:23
Well it's linux and you can basicaly change anything about it... :) In the worst case you can switch to openwrt and set up the card there :) The ideea was wich cards are recommended and wich have the most powerfull signal for example (even over 100mW); from what I have read around I understand that the 2200 bg isn't very apreciated ...

simfun
18-11-2006, 08:08
So, what is the answer? Can we change the miniPCI card and use a 5GHz (non Broadcom) miniPCI instead?:)

EddieZ
18-11-2006, 11:27
Answer will depend on someone willing to take it apart. Any volunteers? :-)

Antiloop
18-11-2006, 12:28
you can change minipci cards, the driver stuff won't change automatically so you have to do this yourself

the WL500w is practically a WL500gP only with a different mini-pci card

astudent
20-11-2006, 00:52
If you're just looking for better radio range, it would be a lot easier to just get a better antenna.

simfun
20-11-2006, 06:54
If you're just looking for better radio range, it would be a lot easier to just get a better antenna.
I am looking for more than that :) I want to connect as client to a 5Ghz AP.

lexxdark
24-11-2006, 03:31
I'm taking it apart but still I need a miniPci card.... The problem is I don't even know the miniPci type inside it... I don't think I can count all those pins to find out if I have a type III card... (leasy and not patient enough)

simfun
24-11-2006, 07:02
According to this http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/11-1117-111701/item_detail-0db2-7ab4ad9415d3a515300d0e44c466733d.jhtml
it must be type IIIB

simfun
27-11-2006, 22:48
Did you make any test?

lexxdark
29-11-2006, 02:24
for now I don't have any money.. I'll post first thing when I do the test (and if it works out of box with openwrt firmware...) .. that will probably be next year after tenth...

astudent
03-12-2006, 05:45
Has anyone anyone at least gone as far as removing the card that's in the wl500gP? I'm trying to remove mine and maybe I'm just retarded, but I can't get the thing to budge. Of course, I'm being a bit gentle since I'm not in the business of breaking routers in 2 pieces, but it seems like the card is firmly stuck. Looking underneath the card there seems to be a black padding that is in contact with both the card and the main router board... I'm thinking there may be some adhesive that's keeping it all together.

Anyway, another reason for replacing the card:
With the 2.6 kernel the bcm43xx drivers seem to be somewhat unstable. So, if you try running an Openwrt 2.6 kernel firmware on this board, the wireless will likely not work.

astudent
03-12-2006, 06:14
OK so I got a little more aggressive and was able to remove the card. However, I was right about the black padding having an adhesive on it. I used a flathead screwdriver to try pushing the padding down and away from the card, but found that it was definitely stuck to it. I had to use the screwdriver to help separate the padding from the card before I could get the card out of the slot.

simfun
04-12-2006, 23:31
OK so I got a little more aggressive and was able to remove the card. However, I was right about the black padding having an adhesive on it. I used a flathead screwdriver to try pushing the padding down and away from the card, but found that it was definitely stuck to it. I had to use the screwdriver to help separate the padding from the card before I could get the card out of the slot.

You can use a razor (paper cut tool) and gently separate the pad from the card. The bad thing is that when you insert a new card it stucks too:mad: