PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Running Giftd on wl500g

DeF
26-07-2004, 12:45
For the people who don't want to leave there noisy and energy eating pc's on for downloading. I've made a package of giftd (http://www.giftproject.org) downloading deamon for the WL500g router.

Download (home.wanadoo.nl/imhoff/WL500g/giftd_0.11.6-1_wl500g.zip)

How to use it?

Just extract the zip file to the highest directory of a external usb media(eg. zip disk, usbpen, usb-hd(not tested with multiple partitions))
If you want you can configure the deamon using the files in the .giFT direcorty, but this is not necesary.
connect the external usb media to your router. (if you use ext2 fs you have to mount the partition manualy:( )
Now issue the /mnt/usbfs/giftd.sh command.
You should now be able to connect to the server using a giftd client (http://gift.sourceforge.net/clients.php)

The giftd contain's plugins for the OpenFT, Fasttracker and Gnutella network.

I'm still looking for a sollution for downloading files through bittorrent but there isn't a giFT plugin avaible and i couldn't find a good C client. I've also tryed MLdonkey, but because there isn't a native compiler for the mipsel platform it use's a virtual machine which utilized 100% cpu and 100% mem. so that wasn't usable.

The source code of the different program's/library's used are unmodified and are available on the following site's :
http://gift.sourceforge.net/download.php
http://gift-fasttrack.berlios.de/
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html
The rest of the library's are copied from the Asus cross-compile toolkit GPL_1756.zip (http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=11&l2_id=2&l3_id=0&m_id=4&f_name=GPL_1756.zip~zaqwedc)

Antiloop
26-07-2004, 13:22
nice work, do you maybe know if there is any program that works with ftp too? to download a whole bunch of rar's ofcourse..

for the people who can't read
find a client for windows here: http://www.runestig.com/giFTwin32.html
another client for windows: http://www.kceasy.com/ (kazaa alike look)

see attached pics as example

Antiloop
26-07-2004, 13:23
and second example

DeF
26-07-2004, 16:44
nice work, do you maybe know if there is any program that works with ftp too? to download a whole bunch of rar's ofcourse..

A long time ago there was a download manager for linux that used a server client model. i believe it was called something like darx but i can't find it anymore:(. But you could always use wget.

Styno
26-07-2004, 18:10
Very nice and a very ingenious way of saving power! I'm certainly going to give it a go.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to run a better FTP server in the same way as this application? I cetainly would appreciate better user/group/directory support, APPEND and better directory caching support from an FTP server.

Styno
26-07-2004, 20:19
I am unable to move the gift files into a seperate subdirectory (to tidy my /mnt/usbfs directory up) because the binary isn't able to find the libraries anymore after the move. I did edit the giftd.sh script though, so I guess you've hardcoded some of the paths?

DeF
27-07-2004, 09:20
I did edit the giftd.sh script though, so I guess you've hardcoded some of the paths?
Yes, the library path for gift plugin's is hardcoded in the binary to /mnt/usbfs/giftd/lib/giFT just like the location of the mime.types file. For the plugins you can give the full path in the config file, so this must not be a problem. But i can't find a way to tell giftd to use a different location for mime.types. So i fear you have to recompile if you want to move the giftd directory.

But the lib directory can be moved. just move all library's into the /mnt/usbfs/giftd/lib directory and it should still work. the .giFT directory can also be moved to an other directory. but if you do this you have to change the HOME variable in the giftd.sh file

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to run a better FTP server in the same way as this application?

Ofcourse. And if this doesn't work you could always build a chroot environment. I did this with a debian mipsel installation to test mldonkey. I don't think it's the most beautyfull sollution but it works.

bramfm
27-07-2004, 14:51

Looking at your picture I can see you have Gnutella running, I cannot connect. I tried to change the gnutella config file but no success. I am doing somethoing wrong, panic :eek:

Styno
27-07-2004, 15:46
The screenshot which Antiloop posted was copied from the giFT website :p

The Gnutella plugin does not work because the nodes file is empty (it doesn't search for nodes initially). So you have to find some nodes and copy them to the config file (I believe in /mnt/usbfs/.gift/gnutella, but I'm not sure).

Rom666
27-07-2004, 18:24
After installing and running the gitf daemon during an hour, i lost the connection to website , i can't see anymore webpage but MSN , Bittorent or any over appz still runing without any problems.
Does somebody have the same problem ?

Styno
27-07-2004, 21:35
After installing and running the gitf daemon during an hour, i lost the connection to website , i can't see anymore webpage but MSN , Bittorent or any over appz still runing without any problems.
Does somebody have the same problem ?Nope, I have giFT running for about 24 hours now, and apart from a few crashes of the daemon (which seems to be caused by my client (KCeasy)) everything works fine.

bramfm
27-07-2004, 23:13
Nope, I have giFT running for about 24 hours now, and apart from a few crashes of the daemon (which seems to be caused by my client (KCeasy)) everything works fine.

I do not see any problems with the application either, it runs flawlessly! I realy love this application.

:)

DeF
28-07-2004, 17:09
Looking at your picture I can see you have Gnutella running, I cannot connect. I tried to change the gnutella config file but no success. I am doing somethoing wrong, panic :eek:
I've got the same problem my self. The only sollution i can find on the net is to update the gwebcaches file, but i haven't found a new one yet:(

Does somebody have the same problem ?

nop, haven't had a single crash so far.

Pirat
28-07-2004, 17:45
Cool!
There is only one thing I need: eMule/eDonky/KAD-Network-Support AND import eMule-Files.

By the way: incomming files are saved in public_ftp NOT in public_ftp/incomming!!!!

Rom666
28-07-2004, 17:50
What are you config for wl500g ? I try update to Firmware v.1.7.5.9 CR3 [Oleg] abd have the same problem. Actually I've configure ftp, my isp, wifi connection , telnet and ssh connection and that all. No configuration of samba and firewall.

Styno
28-07-2004, 18:34
Cool!
There is only one thing I need: eMule/eDonky/KAD-Network-Support AND import eMule-Files.

By the way: incomming files are saved in public_ftp NOT in public_ftp/incomming!!!!The temporary files are store in ftp_pub/incoming and the completed files are stored in ftp_pub (or was it ftp_pub/completed :confused: ). If you don't like this behaviour you can change this by editing your .gift/giftd.conf file.

Styno
28-07-2004, 18:39
I've got the same problem my self. The only sollution i can find on the net is to update the gwebcaches file, but i haven't found a new one yet:( I found a recent one in the CVS: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gift

Updating the gwebcaches file doesn't solve the problem of not connecting to the gnutella network for me though. This is what the giFT plugin writes to the logfile:

[17:31:42] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[17:31:42] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[17:31:52] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
Does anyone have an idea about what's causing this. Google has found nothing for me yet. I don't have a firewall running so that should not be the problem here...

DeF
29-07-2004, 00:02
Does anyone have an idea about what's causing this. Google has found nothing for me yet. I don't have a firewall running so that should not be the problem here...
If hacked a little bit around in the source code and found that the gnutella plugin doesn't properly resolve hostname's of gwebcache's. It's one of those mystyrious C problem's couse gethostbyname return's NULL but the h_errno is also set to 0. I'll try to fix it when i'm back from vacation.

A simple sollution is to just convert all domain name's in the gwebcaches file to ip adress's. After this gnutella should find some node's. but I haven't been able to test if giFT really connect's to these node's(I see an afull lot of DISCONNECTED message's in my log:( )

DeF
29-07-2004, 00:06
What are you config for wl500g ? I try update to Firmware v.1.7.5.9 CR3 [Oleg] abd have the same problem. Actually I've configure ftp, my isp, wifi connection , telnet and ssh connection and that all. No configuration of samba and firewall.
I use giFToxic and giftwin32 as clients. on my router i have Firmware v.1.7.5.9 CR3 [Oleg] the only noteable thing in my config is that i disabled upnp. Appart from that i didn't change very much in the factory default's.

Styno
30-07-2004, 10:49
A new gwebcaches file is in CVS now. Also, there is a new Perl script for generating an up-to-date gwebcaches file.

These can be found here (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gift/Gnutella/data/)

GJAman
30-07-2004, 12:31
I just converted all domain name's in the gwebcaches file (from http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gift/Gnutella/data/) to ip adress's, see attachment.

1. Download "gwebcaches.txt"
2. Rename "gwebcaches.txt" to '"gwebcaches"
3. Save it in the directory "/mnt/usbfs/.giFT/Gnutella"
4. Run Giftd and see how it connects to the Gnutella network :cool:

Have fun! :)

Styno
01-08-2004, 21:54
I tried several gwebcaches:
- The original by DeF
- The updated and converted to IP addresses by GJAman
- The latest from http://gcachescan.jonatkins.com

and nothing helps me connecting to Gnutella.

I'm not using the firewall normally, but when I enabled it, it didn't work too.

Styno
02-08-2004, 08:58
OpenFT 0.2.1.4 has been released! Not much is new, mostly just
bugfixes. However, this release is noteworthy in being the first not
to have been made by jasta; we'll see how it goes...

From the ChangeLog:

* Fixed a signedness bug that could cause problems with non-ASCII
characters on some platforms.

* Fixed a packet handling bug that could cause an infinite loop.

* Minor networking tweaks.

* Fixed clipping of the nodes cache.

Get it from the usual place:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34618&package_id=89836&release_id=257474

Enjoy,

Tom.
Hopefully, the threadstarter can compile us a new binary :D

Styno
02-08-2004, 16:52
People who are willing to share us their knowledge are invited to drop a few lines in the giFT Wiki page @ http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/PackageGift

WlanMan
04-08-2004, 17:06
Hi

Itīs Just imazing that this realy works, my dreams come true :).
But whatīs about the memory usage ?

For the Edonkey Network, what is about Cdonkey (http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdonkey/) ??
Im not sure about the Projekt state and its compatibility to the currend clients, but it compiles to a 1,2MB binary so use on the 500g seems possible ...

Btw, my Router is now ordered, i can hardly wait :rolleyes:

Styno
05-08-2004, 09:03
CDonkey is a eMule core network project. It was not designed for use as a pluging for giFT. But nobody is stopping you from writing a giFT plugin wrapper for CDonkey.

Please let us know when you have it working :D

Styno
06-08-2004, 10:36
While giFT, in theory, is great for use on the WL-500g, there are some issues with it which make it inferior to a WIN32 desktop counterpart.

Consider the following situation:
I want to download a certain video file (non-copyrighted ofcourse :)). I do a search and on the KaZaA netwerk and some ppl are sharing it so I start the download. After that I shutdown my desktop and check again a few days later, expecting to find a downloaded file on the USB HD. But, to my ashtonishing, giFT hasn't downloaded a single byte :mad:. So I give giFT the command to search for additional sources and the application starts downloading the file. 'Whohoo that's great' I thought and I shutdown my client again. After a few day's I check how far the download is progressing: and again (you can guess what happenend) only a few hundred kilobytes have been dowloaded. This is weird because when I give the command to find additional sources, it starts downloading from several sources with speeds approaching my ADSL bandwith. This time I started watching its behaviour and notice that after a few minutes everything is quiet again and I need to give the 'find additional sources' command again.

This behaviour is totally unwanted for a standalone application. As the name allready says: the application should do its work 'stand alone', I shouldn't have to be on the controlls all the time :(

KaZaA however works much better in this respect, it does its own 'find additional sources' once in a while and completes downloads much, much faster then giFT. So the conclusion: It's not all sunshine using giFT...

Styno
09-08-2004, 10:44
I found some news on the Gnutella connection problem:

From the giFT mailing list:

By the way, gnutella 0.0.9.2 has been failing to connect for most
people. You probably want to use the 0.0.10-rc1 pre-release, which
is not on the sourceforge site, but which can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/2mtus

HEx
13-08-2004, 22:35
While giFT, in theory, is great for use on the WL-500g, there are some issues with it which make it inferior to a WIN32 desktop counterpart.

(valid complaint snipped)

There's a tiny program called giFTwakeup in the giFTcurs distribution which does nothing other than initiate source searches for stalled downloads every few minutes.

Get the source from http://www.nongnu.org/giftcurs/, configure, then do "cd src; make giFTwakeup".

Hope that helps.

WlanMan
14-08-2004, 00:22
Sounds like a realy Dirty Hack :D
Sadly cdonkey and Gitf seem to have low development at the moment ...

Styno
14-08-2004, 12:53
Sounds like a realy Dirty Hack :D
Sadly cdonkey and Gitf seem to have low development at the moment ...
I don't think so, KaZaA Lite also has a download accelerator which does nothing more then a 'seach for more sources' for every download every x seconds. Which is, I think, exactly the same method as this plugin. So hack or not, it's common to other applications as well.

I was allready thinking I should write such a plugin myself...but it seems I don't need to anymore :)

WlanMan
14-08-2004, 17:28
Hi Styno

If you realy can code, implement a Bittorrent client in C or C++ with low memory foodprint :). The protokoll is set on http, simple and stright forward.
All implementations are ploated script,java or other solutions.

Greets

Styno
15-08-2004, 11:07
Hi, yes I am a professional C/C++ coder, mostly GUI-less cross-platform applications for industrial automation. Because I'm allready coding at least 8 hours a day, I feel reluctant to do more coding in my free time.

I will look at the BitTorrent protocol and if I decide to try and code a gift plugin, it will take long before there is even an beta version. On top of that I don't have much Linux experience (even though many of my apps are designed to work under Linux/Windows). I've never setup a build environment under Linux, I usually deliver the code developed in Windows which other ppl compile under Linux. Thus someone else has to do the compiling at least...

Two other things:
- Can someone post a built giFT Wakeup here?
- A pre-release version with fixed Gnutella plugin is out, can someone build it please?

HeX, DeF??

HEx
16-08-2004, 22:42
Two other things:
- A pre-release version with fixed Gnutella plugin is out, can someone build it please?

HeX, DeF??

Not me, alas. I don't have the hardware in question, and am unaware even what OS/architecture it uses.

Having said that, it should be pretty easy to build assuming it's linux or *BSD.

DeF
22-08-2004, 12:39
back from vacation :cool:

For the Edonkey Network, what is about Cdonkey ??
Im not sure about the Projekt state and its compatibility to the currend clients, but it compiles to a 1,2MB binary so use on the 500g seems possible ...

I just came across this client and i'm planning to try to compile it in the feature. but first i want to have the giftd running good.

I will look at the BitTorrent protocol and if I decide to try and code a gift plugin, it will take long before there is even an beta version. On top of that I don't have much Linux experience (even though many of my apps are designed to work under Linux/Windows). I've never setup a build environment under Linux, I usually deliver the code developed in Windows which other ppl compile under Linux. Thus someone else has to do the compiling at least...

I've also looked in to the posiblility of coding my own bittorrent plugin. But i'm also to busy with my normal life to start a project like that. but if someone want's to code a bittorrent plugin i'm willing to help.

Two other things:

Working on it. hmm... i also see that a new giftd is released yester day :) so there is enough compiling work for me :D

Styno
23-08-2004, 11:47
If you realy can code, implement a Bittorrent client in C or C++ with low memory foodprint :).

I've found a small C bittorent client which should easilly fit onto the WL-500g. We might convert it towards a giFT plugin, but you can run it stand-alone as well so why bother?!

Homepage of CTorrent (ctorrent.sourceforge.net)

I don't have a linux box you willl have to compile it yourself.

DeF
23-08-2004, 12:35
I've found a small C bittorent client which should easilly fit onto the WL-500g. We might convert it towards a giFT plugin, but you can run it stand-alone as well so why bother?!
yes i already found that one... problem is that, unlike the name suggests, it is moostly writen in C++. and the standard build environment from Asus doesn't include g++.

But if been reading on the gift mailing list that implenting bittorrent/emule in the 0.11.x version is kind of difficult because of the design of giFT. but they want to change some things in the 0.12 version to make this easyer. so it probably smart to wait for giFT 0.12 before starting with a bittorent plugin.

Styno
23-08-2004, 12:44
yes i already found that one... problem is that, unlike the name suggests, it is moostly writen in C++. and the standard build environment from Asus doesn't include g++.

You are sooo right, I completely overlooked that. I am so used to reading/writing C++ code that i just didn't notice.

*hits-himself-with-a-hammer-on-its-head smiley*

DeF
24-08-2004, 17:14
I'm finished compiling the new giFT 0.11.7 and a new OpenFT and Gnutella plugin.

Gnutella now works, the problem wasn't in the Gnutella plugin but there were two library's missing. Strangely enough Linux didn't report that:(.

For the adventures under us I also included the SoulSeek plugin, which is very beta. I manage'd to connect to the soulseek server but haven't been able to search. But maybee someone with more SoulSeek experience can make this work.

I also updated the wiki page with the compile commands and the new version.(Thanks Styno for making this page;) )

You can download the new version here:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/imhoff/WL500g/giftd_0.11.7-1_wl500g.tar.gz

for people who are upgrading from the last version... i suggest you back up your config file's and move them back over the new one's. I also changed the default incoming location to unfinished, i think this better reflexts what it does. If you also decide to use this path and still have unfinished downloads you can simply move the state file's to the new directory to resume them.

Compiling the giFTwakeup program wasn't a succes.... it depends heavely on glib. and i don't feel much for compiling glib for the WL500g.....

Styno
24-08-2004, 20:01
Thumbs up DeF! I will try it immediately :)

Its a pitty the giFT Wakeup plugin won't work, because without it my giFT daemon is so lazy, I wonder why I use it anyway... :D

Edit:
Two remarks until now:
- The .tar.tar file cannot be extracted using tar on the router
- The content of the first extracted .tar file is named `[content]` without .tar extension

Technik
24-08-2004, 21:58
Thumbs up DeF! I will try it immediately :)

Its a pitty the giFT Wakeup plugin won't work, because without it my giFT daemon is so lazy, I wonder why I use it anyway... :D

Edit:
Two remarks until now:
- The content of the first extracted .tar file is named `[content]` without .tar extension
Just rename ...tar.tar to ...tar.gz ;)

DeF
25-08-2004, 08:32

Don't use the tar on the router.... i have'nt been able to extract a single tar archive with it. Just extract on an other machine.

Styno
25-08-2004, 14:07
I've been looking at the client interface of giFT in order to decide how difficult it would be to create an 'Auto Search More' module.

Have they ever heard of documenting code or what? Damn! Not a word on how to implement their client interface :eek:

Anyway it seems to me it won't be hard work to get such a client up and running. As I've stated before: I'm not very experienced in Linux and don't have a compile environment available, someone else has to do the compiling. Anyone interested in helping me when I produce the raw code? If so, we can start a new topic on this item...

DeF
26-08-2004, 15:11
hmm.. I hope you haven't gone through a lot of trouble already to make that client Styno. because I took a charge at giFTwakeup yesterday and removed al glib specific funtions from it. On the moment i've got a working version, but it isn't very stable especialy when a download has lot's of source's.

here (http://home.wanadoo.nl/imhoff/WL500g/giFTwakeup.zip) is the source and a compiled version. you can just run it directly from the commandline, it doesn't need any additional library's. I would be glad to here what your experience is with it.

Styno
26-08-2004, 15:16
hmm.. I hope you haven't gone through a lot of trouble already to make that client Styno. because I took a charge at giFTwakeup yesterday and removed al glib specific funtions from it. On the moment i've got a working version, but it isn't very stable especialy when a download has lot's of source's.

here (http://home.wanadoo.nl/imhoff/WL500g/giFTwakeup.zip) is the source and a compiled version. you can just run it directly from the commandline, it doesn't need any additional library's. I would be glad to here what your experience is with it.
Okay, this is great! I only reviewed the client interface until now. I was planning on doing some coding in my holiday (next week) but I will suspend that.

I'll try this package tonight and let you know...

DeF
26-08-2004, 20:25
If found the bug in giFTwakeup that was bugging me... seems realloc didn't work as i tought it would. Which caused a segfault when a package bigger then de original buffer was received.
I've updated the package on my ftp, it should be a lot more stable now.

WlanMan
26-08-2004, 22:30
Hi

I think the auto search more is a funktion which should be done by the core, not as a add-on to everythink. maybe you can patch something similar to the gift daemon ? i better dont shout too loud, but shouldnt it bee somethink like call the search sources funktions all xx secounds, maybe depending on the currend sources connected ??

Greets, and thx for your work! :D

Styno
27-08-2004, 08:32
If found the bug in giFTwakeup that was bugging me... seems realloc didn't work as i tought it would. Which caused a segfault when a package bigger then de original buffer was received.
I've updated the package on my ftp, it should be a lot more stable now.
Thanks, will try it. The first release crashed after a few hours, but uptil then it worked like a charm!

I think the auto search more is a funktion which should be done by the core, not as a add-on to everythink. maybe you can patch something similar to the gift daemon ? i better dont shout too loud, but shouldnt it bee somethink like call the search sources funktions all xx secounds, maybe depending on the currend sources connected ??

In the TODO of giFT the developers state they will make an auto-search-more function in the future. Just use this one until a new release where its implemented in the giFT core.

sesamebike
14-09-2004, 12:14
Hi,

Regarding the possibility to write a bittorent plugin to giftd, has anyone looked at BTLib, - a C library implementing the core BitTorrent protocol (http://libbt.sourceforge.net/)?

Cheers!

Styno
02-10-2004, 20:45
Today I received the following error:

user.err klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1049 (ld.so.1).
user.err klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1049 (ld.so.1).
user.notice klogd: VM: killing process ld.so.1

This occurred when I was downloading some 30 files and uploading 5. Looks like the kernel killed it because it ran out of memory...

I have added 32 Mb of swap space and all swap space was consumed too (http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=5483&postcount=5).

I'm going to look into this further...

DeF
04-10-2004, 18:22
memory is indeed a problem. I don't think giftd has a maximum mem usage. It just depends on the amount of download's and the amount of results from a search. I have also noticed that if you have just one download with 40+ sources the WL-500g get's extreeeeeemly slow. and sometime's its just automaticly rebooted, probably by the wachtdog.

but currently i'm more busy with getting a bittorrent client working caus that's what i'm using most of the time now. I've ported ctorrent to C, but is fail's to run.. and it is programmed realllllly crappy. zo no fun to work with. But past weekend i tryed libbt(thanks for the tip sesamebike :cool: ). i've already downloaded a 50 mb file with it succesfully. But this morning i tryed a 4 gb file and after an hour my router just hang. Kernel was still reacting to ping commands but non of my daemon's responded and routing was down to... so i fear it's also a memory problem. I hope to have an other test run tonight with all unnesecary deamon's killed and no ramfs.

Styno
07-10-2004, 13:06
Are you running the Bittorrent client as a standalone app or as a plugin for giFTd?

WlanMan
07-10-2004, 13:22
Hi

I strongly think itīs independant.
Hell, if this works quite well and even gets integrated into the web frontend ... :eek:

Nice work DeF, do you have some preview binary ??

Greets

Styno
07-10-2004, 14:07
Whehe, I have an independant FTP client running as well....

wget :eek:

Works like a charm, only no userfriendly interface :D

Styno
07-10-2004, 21:41
I've been looking into the excessive memory problem some more. It happens when some 150 - 200 connections are made for around 15 - 20 downloads. I've allready set the memory usage parameter of the gnutella client to around 1 Mb, but to no avail. The giFT daemon is still unusable when having a decent amount of connections for a moderate amount of downloads...

I think we need to run giFT on a regular pc with some kind of analystic tool to see whats causing the excessive memory usage... But that won't be easy I guess.

DeF
16-10-2004, 15:10
Finally i have some time to post the result of my test of libbt. I was downloading a file of ~2700 mb. To get enough memory free for libbt to work( somewhere around 2-3 mb according to the libbt website) i killed every deamon running on the wl-500g except telnet, dhcp, dns and syslogd and routed all ramdisk directory's to directory's on my HD. I used the btget example program supplyed with libbt for downloading.

btget runs without real problem's. finding good download node's was a bigger problem.. only two download node's where found and downloading didn't go faster than 3 kB/s*. after it ran for a long while i managed to download 100 mb. Big problem was that btget quited everytime due to tracker error's of some other undefined error's**. Verry anoying was that everytime you restart btget it check's all downloaded parts against the sha-1 hashes which took an awfull long time(as expectable with sha-1). But on a certain point btget kept reporting that the tracker was unreachable(couldn't check if that was true on that moment:( ). Around that point my adventure with libbt ended because i hard reseted(with the powercable:P) my router+hd and the filesystem on the hd became corrupted to a point that btget didn't want to run any more:(

Conclusion:
It is possible to run a libbt client on the wl500g router but you'll need to free a lot of memory. So untill a version of the wl500g with more memory come's out it will probably be hard to implement a bittorrent client in the wl500g without lossing any of its feature's or stability.

btget as client wasn't really usable because the bad error handeling and the hashing of the file at start up. its probably a good idea to write a new client that uses libbt but has a good error handling and return code's so it can be used in scripts and that uses a file to account the correctly downloaded piece's so it doesn't have to hash the whole file on startup....

On the moment i personnally don't have any time and need left do to any programming next to all the programming i do for my work. and the lack of memory in the wl500g isn't motivating either. but maybee someone with some time would like to try... if zo... i would be pleased to help by compiling, testing or just providing idea's.

(*) for comparison... on the moment i'm downloading the same file with a speed of 22 kB/s
(**) could be because i had to close my telnet client from which is started btget in the background (stdout/stderr was routed to file).

DeF
16-10-2004, 15:13
Are you running the Bittorrent client as a standalone app or as a plugin for giFTd?
stand alone. i don't think using it with gift is a good idea. that only take's memory. Plus i already made a much easyer interface with bash script's to add downloads by just dumping .torrent file's into a specified directory...

reddevil
28-10-2004, 21:53
Hi,
I have a problem when i try to install gift on the wl500g (firmware 1.8.1.7)
When i try to run giftd.sh i get the following error message :

./giftd.sh: 18: /lib/ld.so.1: not found

Is it possible to run gift on the 1.8.1.7 firmware?

Styno
29-10-2004, 09:23
I haven't tried running giFT on 1.8 series firmware, because I stopped using giFT all together. This is because giFT will run out of memory rather quickly which in terms will corrupt my HDD.

So there are now two people who reported corrupted HDD's after using giFT, therefore I suggest NOT using giFT on the router. Perhaps the WL-500gx (Deluxe) will be more suited for running giFT.

I'm now using wget as an FTP client on the router which works great. Right now I'm in the process of developing some remote management for wget.

reddevil
29-10-2004, 20:02
I haven't tried running giFT on 1.8 series firmware, because I stopped using giFT all together. This is because giFT will run out of memory rather quickly which in terms will corrupt my HDD.

So there are now two people who reported corrupted HDD's after using giFT, therefore I suggest NOT using giFT on the router. Perhaps the WL-500gx (Deluxe) will be more suited for running giFT.

I'm now using wget as an FTP client on the router which works great. Right now I'm in the process of developing some remote management for wget.

too bad :( I like gift very much because all the plugins that are available for it. It is a nice solution for running gift on the router because for money and noice saving. :)
But... ok. i can live with that. Thanks anyway.

xlephant
03-11-2004, 19:51
anyone who run giFT with 1.8XX[OLEG] Firmware?
i 've the same problem as reddevil... :(

just want to run giFT on a 512MB USB Stick (don't think that it can be damaged by running out of memory ;-))

xlephant
15-11-2004, 11:40
*push**push*

WlanMan
19-12-2004, 12:00
Hi

Any new News about the ctorrent porting ?? C++ compiler should now be avaliable, crapy source or not :).

Greets

ezhikov
15-02-2005, 19:17
I use gift-0.11.8.1 with 1.9.2.7-3c Oleg's firmware, compiled with uclibc, it's quite stable but all plugins except FastTrack segfolts .....
This way i use only FastTrack .... maybe someone made it stable with other plugins ????

zonax
01-03-2005, 21:59
Hi!

I've successfully compiled giftd, gift-fasttrack and openft, and it seems to somewhat work.

The only problem is, giftd 'includes' a reference to /lib/ld.so.1 which my firmware doesn't have (1.8.1.7). But I hacked this, putting an ld.so.1 from the GPL sources into /tmp and then binary rewriting /lib/ld.so.1 in the giftd to /tmp/ld.so.1.
(There must be a nicer way, though.)

The giftd wiki page (mentioned in the forums) is not bad, but it's not up-to-date, I'll try to work in it later.

zonax
02-03-2005, 11:19
Hi,

Yes, it is possible :-)
I've spent an hour or two getting the pieces together (compiling stuff), and I still only have FastTrack working, but hey, it works!

I'll try to edit the Wiki page, because that's a bit obsolete, but nonethless, VERY useful.

The /lib/ld.so.1 problem is because giftd 'expects' /lib/ld.so.1 to be there. I don't have a solution yet for that, other than binary (HEX) editing the file to say /tmp/ld.so.1 instead of /lib/ld.so.1

If I get through the final few obstacles (some libs installing into wrong places), I might even post a ZIP file!

DeF
03-04-2005, 14:30
Hi,

No, not with the current package.

The error is caused by the fact that the script uses ld.so.1 to preload other library's. This doesn't work in the new firmware's because they don't have (the right) ld.so.1. Sollution to this problem is simple: use LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

but the main problem is that i built giftd against the normal libc and the newer firmware's only have uclibc available.

I already tryed to build a new version but ofcourse i ran into trouble with the verry anoying libtool again. And because of the fact i don't have a spare harddrive left(donations of old hd's are always welcome*grin*) and gift on a wl500g has some trouble with performance i didn't really try anymore.

But if there are people who still would love to use gift on there wl500g just drop me a message and i give it an other try. And maybee some one want's to try gift on a wl500g deluxe for me, cause the extra 16MB should yield much more stability....

Oleg
03-04-2005, 14:36
gift is available as one of the unslung installable packages.

DeF
03-04-2005, 15:57
gift is available as one of the unslung installable packages.
Nice:) But does it run stable on the WL-500g? isn't it eating a lot of memory with the extra library's as libogg linked to it?

Oleg
03-04-2005, 16:00
Nice:) But does it run stable on the WL-500g? isn't it eating a lot of memory with the extra library's as libogg linked to it?
Have no idea, as I never used it. The only thing I've done was adapting it for wl500g. It should work fine with wl500gx, as it has the same amount of memory as nslu2 has.

wilco02
06-09-2005, 21:23
i extracted the files to opt/share/samba1/giftd
i did nano and change the giftd.sh

#!/bin/sh
export HOME=/opt/share/samba1/giftd

# Create download directory's
if [ ! -d /opt/share/samba1/ftp_pub ]; then
mkdir /opt/share/samba1/ftp_pub
fi

if [ ! -d /opt/share/samba1/ftp_pub/incoming ]; then
mkdir /opt/share/samba1/ftp_pub/incoming
fi

# setup firewall rules
if [ ! -f /tmp/giftfw ]; then
iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --syn --dport 1214 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --syn --dport 1666 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --syn --dport 2555 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --syn --dport 3444 -j ACCEPT
touch /tmp/giftfw

maar als ik dan giftd.sh intoets dan krijg ik dit.
ben een lunix noop, en nu

[wilco@wilco02 giftd]$ giftd.sh
-sh: giftd.sh: not found

thanks.

unaiur
07-09-2005, 16:43
Usually, the current directory isn't in the path. You should write:

./gift.sh
or

sh gift.sh

wilco02
07-09-2005, 21:59
sh giftd.sh
is working something more but
./giftd.sh: 18: /lib/ld.so.1: not found\
I see more people have that problem is there a solution?

i also did ipkp list and saw,

gift - 0.11.8.1-3 - gIFt is a multi-platform multi-networks peer-to-peer client. gIFt runs as a daemon on the computer. It can be controlled using

and did ipkg install gift
then i tried.

[wilco@wilco02 bin]$ sh gift-setup
gift-setup: 22: use: not found
gift-setup: 23: use: not found
gift-setup: 24: use: not found
gift-setup: 28: my: not found
gift-setup: 29: my: not found
gift-setup: 33: Syntax error: ";" unexpected
[wilco@wilco02 bin]$

And can somebody help me.

thanks.

wilco,

OlegI
08-09-2005, 18:09
i wonder ipkg's gift too. It is completely broken.

unaiur
08-09-2005, 19:20
sh giftd.sh
is working something more but
./giftd.sh: 18: /lib/ld.so.1: not found\

It seems that gift isn't compiled for Oleg's firmwares.

then i tried.

[wilco@wilco02 bin]$ sh gift-setup
gift-setup: 22: use: not found
gift-setup: 23: use: not found
gift-setup: 24: use: not found
gift-setup: 28: my: not found
gift-setup: 29: my: not found
gift-setup: 33: Syntax error: ";" unexpected

gift-setup isn't a shell script. It seems a perl script, so you will need to install a perl interpreter. Then, execute this:

chmod +x gift-setup
./gift-setup

OlegI
09-09-2005, 17:51
miniperl from ipkg can not be used with gift-setup:

Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.9 .) at /opt/bin/gift-setup line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/bin/gift-setup line 22.

I think, it is needed to remove broken ipkg packages like gift and man (depends on groff, wich is unavailable).

wilco02
09-09-2005, 18:21
Oke, thanks.
But what to do know?
Or is there a other program that works,

Bye bye,

Wilco,

ck500
17-04-2006, 12:57
Gentlemen, ladies,

I'd like to learn from your experience what I should use and where should i get it if I want to download torrents with the wl-500gx to a USB drive ?

Is the "macsat" tutorial on ctorrent for wl-500g any good ?