PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Limited right on usb disk from OSX

Eelco
12-10-2006, 19:49
Hello,

Excuse me if this a newbie question. I tried searching the forums with a number of keywords, but no relevant topic came up. My problem is as follows:

I use the lower usb port to attach a WD external 250 g harddisk. From windows xp everything works great: i can read/write/delete and do anything I want, including moving/copying files from the pc to the usb disk.

However, this doesn't work as flawlessly from OSX. I can read/write/delete and save documents from within applications. However, i cannot move or copy any file from my Mac to the usb disk. Ater trying to move the first file, OSX reports that I do not have enough rights/permissions to perform this action.

My firmware is standard asus 1.9.6.7. Read/write acces is enabled for the login/password i use to access the disk. The disk is FAT32 formatted. The mac has all the latest updates. On the router only the media server is enabled.

Does anyone know how to make my mac move stuff to the usb disk?

Thanks!

Eelco

Gerry Boland
13-10-2006, 13:57
How do you connect to the router?

Do you do Go->Connect to Server, smb://192.168.1.1 and enter username and password?

If you mount the router using ftp, you get only read access by default. Above the smb:// tells it to mount using samba so it should behave just like windows.
-G

Eelco
13-10-2006, 20:33
How do you connect to the router?

Do you do Go->Connect to Server, smb://192.168.1.1 and enter username and password?

If you mount the router using ftp, you get only read access by default. Above the smb:// tells it to mount using samba so it should behave just like windows.
-G

I access it through network> workgroupname/wl.500g.premium/part0

same problem occurs when i access it by typing smb://192...... in 'connect to server".

FTP Server is inactive on the router.

Gerry Boland
17-10-2006, 00:17
I'm confused:(

Try what I said above, Conenct to Server, etc so that the hard drive is mounted on your desktop. Try control-clicking it, selecting Get Info and seeing what permissions you have.
-G

grifu
17-10-2006, 01:13
Have a 250Hd in lower usb shared drive, for windows xp no prob, osx i can copy but appears an error message "the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items".
Now the STRANGE or WIERD thing is that when im using Disk order for osx (a file utility like the oldie norton commander for pcs) i can copy and move and delete with no problem and no error message. More strange is when im editing a text with text edit i can save it in the hd, but when im using word i cannot save the document word says "disk maby full or write-protected" but it creates a file "word work file d_" with 0 kb.
i use a smb://workgroup to connect.

Nobody knows why ?

Gerry Boland
18-10-2006, 13:57
Must be a Finder problem. Did you try a Repair Permissions in the Disk Utility? Are there any better error messages appearing in your Console log?

grifu
31-10-2006, 14:30
If the hd is connected to the wl500gp i canīt have access from the disk utility.
Connecting the hd to the mac i only have access to verify disk and repair disk, the permissions options are disable.
I tryed to verify the hd and it reported an error. Now im repairing the hd - "hope not to damage the disk" :)

But Gerry, you are right, it must be a finder problem....

anthonywoo
08-11-2006, 07:00
I get the same problem, has it resolved? and how?

gamerhk
24-10-2007, 16:21
I have the same problem, please help if someone has any clue.

nisse
26-02-2008, 21:31
same here..
nobody knows?
by the way i even have problems accessing the HD from my PC.
from the MAC no problems except the "privilegies" one.. from the PC.. DEAD!
can't find it.. i try to explore my network but under workgroup it says nothing is there..
can't understand what i'm doing wrong..
tips?

relaxer
28-03-2008, 18:15
I have the same problem with OS X leopard.
Latest official firmware.
I agree to that it must be a finder problem since it works if I download some files directly to the external HD using Transmission.

Any one found a way around this?

relaxer
18-04-2008, 16:57
I'm confused:(

Try what I said above, Conenct to Server, etc so that the hard drive is mounted on your desktop. Try control-clicking it, selecting Get Info and seeing what permissions you have.
-G

Ok, tried that.. I got read and write access.. So I tried to copy over 30 pics (fast and easy).. after 15pics I got the usual error "you don't have permission" and copying was aborted and all files removed from the USB HDD

Melicous
19-04-2008, 15:38
I think I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it

Go into the SWAT globals (192.168.x.x:901/globals) and enable "encrypt passwords"
This also enable my vista machine to finally get access

Hope this works for you guys

edit:
On winxp/linux this wasn't a prob

nisse
10-06-2008, 13:43
Hi Melicous!
are you using Asus firmware or something else?

i got a tips that maybe it's possible to fix the problem by formatting the HD in osx.. but i'm quite sure some of you already did that.
i also have read somewhere that asus assumes OSX is not supported with their router. sounds strange to me.
i also have both "read and write" access under the info but the problem still persists.
has anyone tried to mess around with "directory access" in osx? i just thought maybe the answer lies there somewhere but i don't really know how that works..
sorry for the many questions and no answers.. hope it can help in some way.. anyway..

nisse
03-08-2008, 21:38
ok.. i now changed the "encrypt passwords" thing as Melicous wrote.
no success..
maybe the problem is in the "smb.conf" file i have.
don't really know what to change, exepct for the "encrypt passwords".
hope someone has fixed this cause i'm soon gvng up :(

pisto
15-10-2008, 03:34
I have the same problem. On the asus vip forum there was a poster who suggested it was a problem in the samba configuration. I have no idea what to do this is very irritating

sashabe
22-10-2008, 23:05
Same problem. Mounted USB flash, writing works on WinXP/Ubuntu, but not on Mac.