PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : PC can't get thru to net

roryok
06-10-2006, 16:13
Just bought a WL-500G Premium, went through the quick setup about 40 times but no luck. tried setting up with static IPs/DHCP, Firewall on/off and lots more things.

Status page says I have a net connection, and I can ping to the IPs assigned by the router, and I can ping to the routers external connection.

But so far, no internet.

What am I missing?

EddieZ
06-10-2006, 20:54
Could you give some details about your PC and network (routers etc)?

roryok
07-10-2006, 10:55
Could you give some details about your PC and network (routers etc)?

very small home network, its basically just my one pc, one router, and the net connection. The purpose of buying the router was to
a) allow me to DL thru bittorrent and turn off the PC
b) occasionally hook up my xbox to the net without having to unplug things

but right now i'd be satisfied just getting thru to the net

PS: it works fine just putting the ADSL modem connection straight into my PC, obviously or i wouldn't be able to post here!

PC is about a year old, came with nvidia firewall which I know often causes problems but I have that sorted out.

EddieZ
07-10-2006, 19:29
Did not know that Nvidia also made firewalls....

what kind of ASDL/Cable router do you have and how is it configured? Is ity configured as bridge or gateway?

roryok
07-10-2006, 21:06
Did not know that Nvidia also made firewalls....

what kind of ASDL/Cable router do you have and how is it configured? Is ity configured as bridge or gateway?

the nvidia firewall is part of the forceware drivers for the motherboard, its actually a hardware firewall.

the cable router is just a generic one, can't see a brand name on it. I have wireless broadband so its connected to a dish/antenna outside. Its only got two ports, one for the dish, which also provides power, and one for the PC. I'm set up to use DHCP to connect to the ISP, and when I hook up the router it seems to pick that up just fine. Status says 'connected', and its gone and got its own DHCP assigned IP. It also assigns one to the PC, and the PC can connect to the router no problem. just, no net. of any kind.

EddieZ
07-10-2006, 21:59
humm, tried all the 4 options to connect? Automatic IP etc (press finish to reboot)

roryok
08-10-2006, 01:40
humm, tried all the 4 options to connect? Automatic IP etc (press finish to reboot)

All 4? you mean, all four types of ADSL connection?

if thats what you mean, i've only tried the automatic IP one, since I wasn't given an IP to use by my ISP, so i've none to put in the fields to try the other options.

EddieZ
08-10-2006, 13:56
From my side I can't see why the router does not work. The only issue might be that your internetmodem is on the same subnet as the Asus. You might change the subnet in the Asus (Subnet is the thirs number in the IP address.

Go to IP Config -> LAN IP settings. the default subnet is 192.68.1.1. Change that to 192.168.0.1. The Asus will tell you you have to change DHCP parameters too. Say yes to let the Asus do it automatically. Restart the Asus by pressing 'Finish' and 'Restart'.

See if this helps

Antiloop
08-10-2006, 14:41
is your ADSL-modem acting as a router or a modem?

if it is acting as a router just setup your WL500gP as Access Point

if it's a modem, what kind of IP/netmask/Gateway do you get assigned?
perhaps the gateway is out of range

roryok
08-10-2006, 15:19
is your ADSL-modem acting as a router or a modem?

if it is acting as a router just setup your WL500gP as Access Point

if it's a modem, what kind of IP/netmask/Gateway do you get assigned?
perhaps the gateway is out of range

I'm not sure. I guess its acting as a modem, the router would be at the ISP HQ. Not sure how to tell! :confused:

I will try setting up the WL500gP as an access point, see if that works.

I'll also try EddieZ's idea about changing from 1.1 to 0.1

the netmask I get assigned is 255.255.255.192.

roryok
08-10-2006, 16:11
ok, i got it working.

sort of.

It works, but it shouldn't, technically.

I saw the DHCP assigned IP that the router was getting was very different to what my PC was pulling from the ISP.

Plugged back in my PC cable
wrote down the IP/Mask/Gateway
plugged back in the router
assigned a static IP the same as the dynamic one assigned to my PC
and bingo - it works!

but AFAIK, the ISP changes my IP from time to time, right? is this only a temporary solution?

and why was the router picking up such a different kind of IP? Even the netmask was different - 255.255.252.0

EddieZ
08-10-2006, 23:02
You'll notice soon enough. Till then, enjoy internet.

Maybe it is wireless internet standard to use that netmask, just to seperate it from the ISp's wired network? Maybe expert can tell you that. Anyway, DHCP should have done it for you, unless your connection is checking the NICs MAc address before issueing an IP. Is the NIC also supplied by the ISP?