PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Bittorrent Not Working

jfletcher
05-10-2006, 18:56
I have just acquired WL700ge. I have connected it to Netgear DG834 ADSL modem router and configured it (WL700ge) as access point. I can access the internet OK but when I try to download using the Bittorrent client it just says 'queued' the whole time. What am I doing wrong?

fireflash
06-10-2006, 02:43
I have just acquired WL700ge. I have connected it to Netgear DG834 ADSL modem router and configured it (WL700ge) as access point. I can access the internet OK but when I try to download using the Bittorrent client it just says 'queued' the whole time. What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. the BT client is really shoddy. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for the day either a custom firmware is developed by some nice soul who knows waaay more about this stuff than I do, or Asus fixed it so it doesn't suck so bad. Heck I'd settle for a BT client someone compiled to work with the router. :)

jfletcher
06-10-2006, 05:43
I had a feeling that might be the answer - thanks.

Gregoire.Favre
19-10-2006, 10:14
Just to be sure : you set the BT ports right in the 700g and your modem/router have the ports opened for it ?

fireflash
19-10-2006, 16:24
The BT client that comes packaged with the wl700g is called ctorrent, which is an open-source command line client that's been out of development for a few years. It was probably modified a bit to work with the router's firmware and hardware, but it's still pretty crappy.

I give Asus an E for effort on trying to give us all these great bells & whistles in this router, I just wish they would have done a bit more QA on it before shipping it.

karlunge
20-10-2006, 10:09
there is a client called enhanced-ctorrent. This is a de"Bug"ed and little enhanced ctorrent. (no 2 GB limit, ...).
install this one instead of ctorrent! how you can do this is described in the forum.

for me it is working fine!

MaxCorvette
20-10-2006, 13:40
enhanced-ctorrent for the WL-700ge?
That would be nice.
I searched the forum but no mention on how to do this for the WL-700 only for WL-500.
Can you give us the link?

fireflash
20-10-2006, 17:09
THIS IS AWESOME! Now, how the heck do we install it? Do we need to compile it for mipsel or is there a mipsel version floating around somewhere?

jfletcher
20-10-2006, 18:34
Just to be sure : you set the BT ports right in the 700g and your modem/router have the ports opened for it ?

No, I didn't - sorry, I'm not very techie - what do I need to do?

jfletcher
20-10-2006, 19:50
OK, I configured ports 6881-6889 to be forwarded to the wl700ge, and configured the wl700ge to use those ports, but i didn't make any difference.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

fireflash
20-10-2006, 22:12
It also depends on what you're downloading, and how many seeders and such the particular torrent has. Combine a low seeder/leecher count and a buggy client, and you could be downloading for quite a while.

My weekend project is gonna be trying to figure out how to replace ctorrent with enhanced-ctorrent. I've done some checking around and it looks very possible, but I'm at work right now so I can't tinker with it. :(

It may also require some modification and recompiling of the router's firmware to enable some additonal features in busybox to really do it good. If I have any luck I'll post a small tutorial, provided I can remember what I did to get it working in the first place. :)

jfletcher
21-10-2006, 16:51
What is interesting is that in the Download\Incomplete folder I have found the downloads corresponding to the last few torrents I've run. Each has the correct name and appropriate filesize - but none of them run properly - it's as if they've been corrupted during download.

karlunge
21-10-2006, 16:53
Hello fireflash,

i don't think, that the wl700ge is very different from wl500gP. All is Mipsel...
i used the tutorial with the iPkg install-stuff:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5909
just change the ipkg install ctorrent to ipkg install enhanced-ctorrent!

i have a wl500gx -> an old version of the Premium one but almost everything worked fine. i ever tought that the wl700g is like a wl500g with an internal harddisc. so maybe the tutorial should work for you too....

greetings

fireflash
21-10-2006, 20:14
Hello fireflash,

i don't think, that the wl700ge is very different from wl500gP. All is Mipsel...

i have a wl500gx -> an old version of the Premium one but almost everything worked fine. i ever tought that the wl700g is like a wl500g with an internal harddisc. so maybe the tutorial should work for you too....

greetings

But there's no ipkg program within the 700g. and there's no oleg version of the firmware.

Antiloop
21-10-2006, 21:00
Hello fireflash,

greetings

wl700ge does differ from all other versions, it does not have IPKG nor Telnet/SSH enabled (by default) firmwares yet

it is possible to enable telnet using a simple 'hack' but this does not help you much further in the beginning

the WL500g with an internal harddisk is the WL-HDD

karlunge
22-10-2006, 00:59
ok - seems, that i was wrong.
but i think all devices are based on the same processor-technology.

you should have a look on this site:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage
maybe here you can find some information or precompiled packages you can use without ipkg.

or maybe you can make ipkg work for the wl700gE, because there is other good stuff available too.

ipkg was not on my wl500gx from the beginning - i had to start a ipkg.sh-Script which installed the ipkg i think. (i don't really know - i simply followed the instructions) i'll try to upload it. maybe it helps you...

greetings

fireflash
22-10-2006, 05:00
awesome! that's the "old" version of ipkg which was written as a shell script. With a minor modification, it attempts to run. However, I can't download a package because it's looking for ipkg.conf in the /etc directory, which I happen to have a copy of from a mipsel compiled version if ipkg, even tho it refused to run. Unfortunately, anytime I try to write a file to anywhere outside the /shares/ directory, I get Permission Denied, so I can't copy the file to /etc on the router, nor can I symlink it. If I can find a way around this annoying little problem, this might actually work.

Thanks for sharing the file though, you've made my day. :)

adams
22-10-2006, 16:16
fireflash, the default bittorrent client is really buggy..i am desperately looking for a replacement..would really appreciate if u post here any success that u have in installing another client..

fireflash
22-10-2006, 17:57
My goal right now is to get enhanced-ctorrent working, which is an improved version of the bittorrent client Asus packed with the router. If I can get the router to let me put a file in it's /etc directory, then I might have some luck.

It never fails, I start to make progress, and something silly gets in my way. :)

karlunge
22-10-2006, 23:15
i've found this line in the script.
you either should change /etc to soomething you want or start it with the $IPKG_CONF_DIR-param....

if [ -z "$IPKG_CONF_DIR" ]; then
IPKG_CONF_DIR=/etc
fi

the ipkg.conf on my wl500g is like that:
---------------------------
src wl500g http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg
dest root /
it's looking like it's made for the wl500g only.
but i think you can use this source too because, because it should run on the very same processor-architecture...

maybe one change has to be made:
my harddrive is mounted on /opt/ .. and so the binaries are installed to /opt/bin....
maybe you can either change the dest-location or you can create a 2nd mount point for your harddrive...

greetings...

fireflash
23-10-2006, 04:08
i've found this line in the script.
you either should change /etc to soomething you want or start it with the $IPKG_CONF_DIR-param....

if [ -z "$IPKG_CONF_DIR" ]; then
IPKG_CONF_DIR=/etc
fi

the ipkg.conf on my wl500g is like that:
dest root /
it's looking like it's made for the wl500g only.
but i think you can use this source too because, because it should run on the very same processor-architecture...

maybe one change has to be made:
my harddrive is mounted on /opt/ .. and so the binaries are installed to /opt/bin....
maybe you can either change the dest-location or you can create a 2nd mount point for your harddrive...

greetings...

Excellent find. I've changed the .conf location, but it's trying to install itself in /opt/, which it can't create because something in the router's permissions are keeping me and everything else from writing to the root partition. Probably a protection mechanism to keep it's core system safe from anything bad happening. I'll parse through the script later and see what I can do about point it to another location, probably in the /shares/ directory, since I can write files there. Once I dance around the write-permissions hassle, then with any luck this should run perfectly.

karlunge
23-10-2006, 09:44
try to change ipkg.conf:

dest root /
-----------------
into :
dest root /share/
-----------------

dest root sounds like destination root. then i hope it will install all the stuff to /share/opt/ instead of /opt/...

greetings

fireflash
23-10-2006, 14:16
I tried that already, but it didn't work. It kept insisting on installing it in /opt/

fireflash
24-10-2006, 04:00
I've managed to get the ipkg.sh script to run, and it attempted to download a package, but unfortunately the current compile of busybox was missing a few key commands necessary for it to unpack the package. I've enabled the needed commands, and am currently recompiling the firmware, with the latest version of busybox (yes, I'm crazy). So provided everything takes, I should have more info tomorrow.

Update: Busybox 1.2.1 started asking some weird questions (for me anyways), and it had a bunch of errors, so to be on the safe side I put the old version back in. I'll recompile it tomorrow night and see what happens.

fireflash
25-10-2006, 14:51
Well, I've got good news and bad news.

Good News:

With some modifications to the busybox config file (to enable a few more shell commands), recompiling the firmware and modifying the ipkg.sh script karlunge was kind enough to upload, I finally got ipkg to run and unpack a file.

Bad News:

My test dummy package was the enhanced-ctorrent client.. While it unpacked just fine, when I go to run it, all I get from the shell is:

./enhanced-ctorrent: file not found

and sadly it doesn't go into specifics. I'm executing it from the directory it's installed in, and that's all I get.

So close, yet so far. :(

karlunge
25-10-2006, 21:42
Hello fireflash,

the system does not find the executeable.

could you do a "ls -Al" from this directory?
i don't understand this. where is it installed to?

greetings...

fireflash
26-10-2006, 01:39
Hello fireflash,

the system does not find the executeable.

could you do a "ls -Al" from this directory?
i don't understand this. where is it installed to?

greetings...

Here's a step-by-step screen dump of my attempt to run enhanced-ctorrent:

# ls
apps etc mnt shares var
bin foreign_shares proc tmp www
dev lib sbin usr
# cd shares/MYVOLUME1/
# ls
MYSHARE1 data1
__share_MYSHARE1_vars.txt etc
__share_list.txt opt
bin shares
# cd opt
# ls
bin doc lib tmp
# cd bin
# ls
enhanced-ctorrent
# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 88 Oct 24 21:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 144 Oct 24 21:04 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 226288 Sep 12 18:14 enhanced-ctorrent
# ./enhanced-ctorrent
./enhanced-ctorrent: not found

As you can see I'm in the directory it's installed in, it just won't run. As I'm sure you can imagine, this is very confusing and frustrating. :)

karlunge
26-10-2006, 22:04
hello fireflash,

maybe the original asus-shell does not support executing unknown programs.
maybe you can try "bash", "sh" or somethings like that, in order to run a full/real shell instead of the minimized asus-shell. but i don't know if this is part of the original asus-firmware. just give it a try....

my feelings are with you :)

greetings

xvibe
26-10-2006, 22:23
Anyone here knows how to edit a .torrent file to select only the files that you want to download? Like you do with uTorrent where you select the files you need.
thanx!