PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How-to: updating the firmware (v2)

GerardNL
29-09-2006, 21:43
Based on comments and experience, I have adjusted the manual. Forget about the web interface of the router, but follow these steps. It has proven that these settings work better for most (with thanks to DaNawq and other users for their help and comments):

1. Before you do anything to your router, first give your desktop computer a static IP address like 192.168.1.50 (Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0). This is needed to be able to do the steps below. (From experience: Stop all the background programs like anti-virus of wirewall if the below steps don't work. Worse case, you need a clean Windows install), If you have more then 1 network card, it may also be usefull to disable the other cards. This way you will ensure the tftp server will attach it self to the network card with the above network address.

2. Now unplug the power cord of your router for about 10-20 seconds

3. Hold the orange EZSetup-button while plugging power on

4. Once the blue Ready LED is blinking unhold immediately EZSetup button.

5. Wait 10 seconds (so the router can start up)

6. Start the Firmware-Restore tool on your desktop computer to upload a
working firmware (do not start it before any of the earlier steps).

7. Press the Browse button to select a firmware file. E.g. "WL700gE_1.0.4.2.nas" and then press "Upload"

8. After selecting the .nas file, the window will first look like that:

http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=980&d=1158609811

It is now running a tftp server server on your machine. The tftp server is anounceing itself on the subnet mask.

Then the window will change once the router notices the tftp server:

http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=981&d=1158609818

You can now see the IP address of the server as well as it's name. You can also see that the Restoration software copied the .nas file to the root of your C-drive. (It doesn't delete it afterwarts, so you can do that yourself later)

And you see the that the router is downloading the firmware.

After about 1 min the window will change again and should be something like this one:

http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=982&d=1158609825

As you can see the transfer is successfull and the program will shutdown on your PC.

9. Do NOT turn off the router now, but wait for 1 or 2 minutes and you will notice that your router is still working even if in previous step the window automatically closed. The blue IDE LED will blink showing that your manchine is still processing some stuff and after a while the blue Ready LED and also the blue AIR LED will shine.

10. Do NOT !!!!! NOT Press the Reset button !!!!! If you would do this, the router will become useless (untill you repeat step 1 again)

11. Wait for the router to boot. After about a minute or so, the "Ready" light will come on.

12. On your PC, change back the static IP number to DHCP setttings.

13. Now you can press the EZSetup-button for a few seconds until the start button starts blinking to configure the router with the EZ Setup Wizard software.

Good luck.

LeperKing
17-12-2006, 18:56
I'm probably missing something....but what's wrong with using the asus webpage for flashing the firmware?

LK

markc
20-01-2007, 09:19
I'm probably missing something....but what's wrong with using the asus webpage for flashing the firmware?

I'd be very interested to know the answer to this too if anyone can spare a sentence or 2 to explain why it's better to use these instructions compared to simply uploading via the web interface?

GerardNL
20-01-2007, 15:31
At the time I wrote the how-to, the flashing via the webpage did not work for me or several other people at the forum.

Someone came up with this solution and I've just made it into a how-to for easy reference.

If the upgrade via the webpage works for you, great. If it doesn't, you have this solution as a alternative.

markc
22-01-2007, 13:34
If the upgrade via the webpage works for you, great. If it doesn't, you have this solution as a alternative.

Thanks, it is as simple as that. Not knowing any better I tried the web upgrade from my original WL-700gE v1.0.4.1 firmware to the official ASUS v1.0.4.6 and it worked. I use a linux desktop so I can't use the EZsetup windows utilities.