PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : A new version of 1.0.4.6 ??

GerardNL
29-09-2006, 21:01
I just checked the ASUS web site and noticed that they have published another 1.0.4.6 version.

See this page:

ASUS Support Website (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=WL-700gE&SLanguage=en-us)

Looking at the URL of the download link, the file name is different then the original 1.0.4.6 version:

WL700gE_1046n (ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-700g/WL700gE_1046_n.zip)

I don't know yet where the "n" stands for, but maybe it's a little bit newer?

I am trying to download the 17mb file, but as usual, the ASUS web site is slow slow slooooowwww.

I am using the build-in download manager of the router. Maybe a bit optimistic, but it looks like it can at least download the file.

25 min later, the file is already there ! What a supprise this is much faster then expected. Maybe download manager is not working that badly?

I've compared the old and the new 1.0.4.6 nas files and they don't have the same size. To see what is inside, I used the program "AsusTrxExtract.exe" and have a little look.

These are the difference:
the "n" version is build on 19th of September
the plain version is build on 31st of August.

However, they are both called version "1.3.0 RC1"

Looking at the Flash Image size, it is the same size in both cases. Someone did notice this between other versions as well, so that is not very supprising.

The Disk image size is a bit different. the "n" version is 100 bytes smaller. This doesn't sound like a totally new BT client, but maybe a bit updated version of BusyBox or something like that.

I will try to flash this new firmware and see if I can find any other differences.... I just hope this will not kill my machine and give me hours of off-line ...

Perkouw
29-09-2006, 22:35
great that you noticed this little thing i dind't noticed it!
hope that it will be much better or atleast improve the p2p stuff on the wl-700gE

i'll keep checking this topic hope there are improvements!

GerardNL
29-09-2006, 22:54
I have the slightly newer firmware running on my router and it seems the same. I haven't seen any changes yet.

Did the telnet-hack again to have a look at the internal bit, but that seems the same as well. The BusyBox version is at least still the same.

So, based on this, I would certainly say it's not a "must have". Maybe I find something significant. I will try a simple BT file and see if that bit is working, but I'm 99% sure that is still the same.

(During the upgrade process, I noticed a little step missing in the manual, so I have rewritten the upgrade manual v2)

Bunny Rabbit
29-09-2006, 23:14
GerardNL you are a star! You should work for ASUS:p :p :p
Maybe this way someone knows what they are doing can resolve ASUS issues :D :D

Feed us more news as soon as you get it :)

Greetings

Perkouw
29-09-2006, 23:23
what a fast reply, great!

what do you guys mean with ''telnet-hack'' and ''busybox'' i just don't know :(
hope this isn't a big n00b question :o

will definitly check this topic often :D

GerardNL
29-09-2006, 23:30
what do you guys mean with ''telnet-hack'' and ''busybox'' i just don't know :(
hope this isn't a big n00b question :o

will definitly check this topic often :D

The telnet hack is a simple hack to get a telnet service running on your router. With this telnet service, you will be able to logon to your router with a command-line client and execute Linux commands.

I didn't find the hack, but just have it bookmarked:

Link to Telnet hack (http://wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=5762)

Busybox is a special version of a number of general Linux commands rolled into 1 program specially for small sized machines like our router.

Just throw the word "BusyBox" in google and you'll find all about it.

Guru
30-09-2006, 01:41
1.0.4.6n is a new firmware?
WoW Asus hit a new time low.

I didn't have a clue this was a new firmware until I choose to download it and notice the N version.
How hard is it to post that on the main download page with a description of the new features if their any?
Last night I choose to Download a 700mb/s file that took 1 hour on my main computer, the 700GE finished after 18 hours, the Download speed was 12kbs and upload 35kbs that's bs:mad: .
My apology to all community members, I lashed out on another forum page on all the problems that the router has mainly the BT feature but it's very frustrating as im sure you all know.

Thanks GerardNL for your info on the firmware:D

Perkouw
30-09-2006, 09:26
I'm downloading it now the 17 mb file ofcourse

and it is going with 200 kb/ps i always have fast downloads from the asus website :s