PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Can WL-700gE access Romnode newtork?

wsardar
27-09-2006, 14:38
I am not sure whether this router can access my university network. Please could somebody who knows about these things have a look at this site and let me know? I would be very grateful indeed.

http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/teaching/computing/Instructions/roamnode/MacOSX.cfm

Thanks!
Billy

GerardNL
27-09-2006, 23:26
How the router works is that the WAN port is the gateway from your local network out to the internet/bigger network.

The local network is both the Wireless and the 4 wired ports.

To achive what you want is using the wireless network as the WAN connection and the 4 wired ports as local network.

With the current software I don't see how this would be possible to achive it.

If you want something like this, you will need to wait for a custom software where you can define what is local network and what is the WAN.

So, sorry not better news, but at least you have an answer...

nickpdx
27-09-2006, 23:47
Doesn't the 700gE have a bridging mode? I thought this was the whole point of bridging mode - the wifi network is the access point, you just want to bridge its network to a smaller lan run off the 700gE. Or get a cheap wifi bridge, set it up to connect to your university's wifi network, and run a cable from it to the wan port on the WL-700gE.

wsardar
27-09-2006, 23:53
Specification

WAN
Ethernet Port Support Both Ethernet and 802.3 with Max. Bit Rate 10/100 Mbps with auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
Connector RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT
LAN
Ethernet Port Support Both Ethernet and 802.3 with Max. Bit Rate 10/100Mbps with Auto cross-over function (MDI-X), 4 port switch
Connector 4 x RJ45 for 10/100BaseT
Antenna Support 2 (One internal Inverted-F PCB antenna and one external dipole antenna)
Connector Reverse-SMA antenna connector
IDE Port 1.
USB port 3 x USB 2.0
EZS button Push for 5 seconds to enter easy setup mode
Auto Copy button Push for coping data from USB disk to internal IDE disk.
Reset button Push for above 5 seconds to restore factory settings otherwise perform H/W-reset.
RTC 1
Application UPnP Media Server
Download Machine
Management Web-based manager
UPnP Internet Gateway Device
UPnP Media Server.
S.M.A.R.T for Disk Monitoring and Report
USB RAID with Raid 0, 1, 10.
Firewall NAT and SPI
Can built extra one firewall to protect Internet traffic and another one for wireless
DC Power Adapter AC Input: 100V~240V(50~60HZ); DC Output: +12V with max. 3 A current
Emissions ETS; CE Mark; FCC Part 15
Size TBD
Weight TBD
Operating Frequency 2.4 - 2.5 GHz
Spreading Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum
Modulation OFDM, CCK, DQPSK, DBPSK
Data Rate 802.11g: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54Mbps
802.11b: 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
Operation Channels 11 for N. America, 14 Japan, 13 Europe (ETSI)
3 (non-overlapping)
Range Indoor 130 ft (40 m), outdoor (LOS, Light-Of-Sight) 2000 ft (600 m) at 11Mbps
Indoor 80 ft (25 m), outdoor (LOS, Light-Of-Sight) 500 ft (150 m) at 54Mbps
The range may vary by different environment
Output Power 18~19 dBm (at normal temp. range)
Encryption 64/128-bit WEP
TKIP, AES, WPA, WPA-PSK
Authentication MAC address, 802.1x, MAC Filter
Utilities Device Discovery: Discover WL700g in network and help user to invoke Web Configuration page.
Firmware Restoration: Restore firmware while system enters rescue mode.

I copied this from the Pics and Specs section of this forum. Notice it says under the WAN heading that it has 802.3 support... isnt this the wireless part? Also as nickpdx said its a bridge so it should be fine. This aside, I have an Airport Express already so I shouldnt have any troubles.

nickpdx
28-09-2006, 00:40
Also as nickpdx said its a bridge so it should be fine.
Well I wouldn't say all that... I was only saying that I *think* the 700gE has a wireless-bridge mode and that what you want, is my understanding of what bridge mode can be used for.

wsardar
02-10-2006, 11:55
Its not possible. The WL-700gE can't connect to a wireless network in any way.

houli-mouli
03-10-2006, 07:41
Well I wouldn't be so sure about it. Everyone who knows ASUS is sure about that new firmwares will come out. However it will take some time.
I am quite sure they will make a WIFI bridge mode as well as in previous routers.

b.r.
Aldi