PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to format wl-700

idomeneas
20-09-2006, 10:17
hello everybody
i have a problem with wl-700 and i canot erase some this i put on hard disk
as a windows user
does anyone now how to do it or how to format it?
has it happen to anyone else?

joop3
20-09-2006, 17:25
I too had it before that some files are not writable/erasable. I believe this happens when using different ways of uploading data (ftp/nfs/samba).
The permissions/owners are different in these ways (I use the share methode, not on user base authentication).

A way to edit/remove the files is to use the telnet option (edit some file, see somewhere else how-to in this forum) and manually tag files to be read/write.

I know this is not the way it should work, but he, what can we do about it, since asus isn't properly implementing a bugfree firmware...

GerardNL
20-09-2006, 22:31
I have been using SMB and FTP between the router and some other devices, but didn't notice this problem.

That might suggest that the problems are related to NFS. Which sort of makes sense since at that level the current permissions are copied to the router, but those have a different impact then on the source.

For example, on the source, you are in the group "ABC" that have R+W rights. On the router, the group "ABC" doesn't exist, and then the the router will look at the WORLD right that maybe just R or maybe even nothing.

I guess this is something you can verify. What happens with the owner, group and permissions when you copy files? Do they get modified or do they stay the same?

joop3
21-09-2006, 04:55
Ok, tried it:

copy by nfs gives me:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 500 500

copy by samba:
-rwxrw-rw- 1 guest users

so indeed here's the difference...

GerardNL
21-09-2006, 17:26
Maybe you could make a group with number 500 on the router by logging in via the telnet-hack. You need to make "guest" a member of this group.

I am just not sure if the router "remembers" this group when you reboot since some things (like the telnet hack) gets overwritten with every reboot.

But it is worth a try.

joop3
21-09-2006, 18:01
Maybe you could make a group with number 500 on the router by logging in via the telnet-hack. You need to make "guest" a member of this group.

I am just not sure if the router "remembers" this group when you reboot since some things (like the telnet hack) gets overwritten with every reboot.

But it is worth a try.

It isn't a big problem when you just use one way to copy files, I just chown and chmod the files to become r/w, so it isn't a big deal.

At least, when telnet is enabled that is..

Still it's a workaround for a bug (or unwritten feature :)) in the firmware.