PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [newbie] Which Firmware ??

yilias
17-07-2004, 21:01
Hello All,

I got my wl 500g yesterday and was monitroring this forum for quite some time before that. So that i can make my choice in which (wlan) router model I wanted to have. So the choice was hard (not at all) and the wl 500g came on top of my list.

When i got mine the first thing i did was update to the newest Asus firmware 1.7.5.6. All ok and no problems in the updating part. I took a while and the wl 500g did not come up after the flash so i rebooted it the hard way. Still all ok :)

Next thing.. Lets look at the hidden features. So nice of Asus to put in a page to access the Console. Like all people i would love to get the most out of my little toy and want to put other firmware on it with more functional features, and here comes the hard part.

The firmware part of this form is super! A lot of posts about firmware releases, a lot of replies about bugs etc. But i realy can not figure out which one is stable and which one is better then the one i have at the moment (asus 1.7.5.6). I love features but it must be stable ones and the firmware sould be fully functional in the security part.

What I would love is support for my Wbecam pcvc 720 but i can't see that anywhere. ssh / Telnet would also be nice as long as telnet keeps on the lan and ssh on the wan / lan side.

I also see some port mapping pages in the router that do not show up in the admin menu. Can I use these pages in my router?

so a resume :)
- Which firmware is stable and extends the features of the latest asus firmware (1.7.5.6)
- Is the portmapping page (that is hidden in router gateway mode) usable when it is not accessible form the admin menu?

Could anybody shine some light on my questionmarks?

Thanks.

i-beast-a
18-07-2004, 11:20
Same question here.

What firmware should I use is stability is the main issue..?

yilias
18-07-2004, 14:05
I think that stability and security is the main goal of a firmware version.

Does nobody have any idea wich version is the best then?

Technik
18-07-2004, 20:35
I am still using Oleg's old 1.6.5.3-2 on my wl-500b - it's stable as a rock!
But I can also recommend latest customized 1.7.5.9-2 from the same Author which has a lot of unique functions integrated and many bugs fixed.

yilias
19-07-2004, 18:57
Tanks for your reply Technic I realy apriciate it. I will look at the firmware you named.

Maybe it's a good idea for the forum to make al list of firmwares and there ups and downs and maybe a marker for stable versions.

Technik
19-07-2004, 23:10
Check the customized firmware Author's website as well : http://wl500g.dyndns.org. AFAIK all versions available for download are stable. Newer versions always has some bugs fixed and/or some additional features implanted.