PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : 1.0.4.6 is out :)

AverySimonsen
15-09-2006, 20:37
Yay.. Finally an update from Asus. Doesn't look like they are adressing very many of the serious problems. They do claim to have fixed the problem with torrents disappearing when the router is shut down. Still .. they're not taking as long to send out updates as I had feared.

Let's hope they update the source distribution as well.

aslepet
16-09-2006, 10:46
where can i find the new firmware? ive had a look at Asus own website, but the latest firmware there is 1.0.4.2

too bad if the new firmware doesnt fix the bug with download master that makes all downloads stop every minute. That bug makes the bt part of the router useless. also the filesize problem should be fixed.

anyway...does anyone have any experience with custom firmware for this router? ive tried to find some custom ones, but i can only find for the wl 500g router.

regards

aslepet

joop3
16-09-2006, 10:55
Hmm, I had the same, where is the firmware, but it's there, click on the tab "all". And there you will find it.

I'm downloading it now, but it takes a while, Asus site is quite slow.

About the custom firmwares, on openwrt there was some thread about someone trying to install openwrt, but I believe he had some problems activating the hdd inside.

Let's hope soon there will be a custom firmware, so we can use the potentials of this thing.

JaJoah
16-09-2006, 15:56
Hmm, I had the same, where is the firmware, but it's there, click on the tab "all". And there you will find it.

I'm downloading it now, but it takes a while, Asus site is quite slow.

About the custom firmwares, on openwrt there was some thread about someone trying to install openwrt, but I believe he had some problems activating the hdd inside.

Let's hope soon there will be a custom firmware, so we can use the potentials of this thing.

Lets hope so, because the standard firmware on this thing is crap :mad:

GerardNL
16-09-2006, 18:33
I've just spend an hour trying to install 1.0.4.6 but didn't get it to work.

First I've upgraded the "official" way via the admin client. Then the installation failed and after the reboot the "ready" light never lite up on the router.

Then I've downgraded it back to 1.0.4.2 via the Firmware Restore software. Then the router was working again.

To make sure that the upgrade via the admin client was not the problem, I've tried again to upgrade to 1.0.4.6 with the Firmware Restore software. But the same problem: The server never finishes starting up and the "ready" light never goes on.

So, I am back to 1.0.4.2 :(

Does anyone has this same problem or is 1.0.4.6 just working fine on your router?

DaNawq
16-09-2006, 20:35
Updated from 1.0.4.2 to 1.0.4.6 via Webinterface without any problem.

aslepet
16-09-2006, 20:39
i tried just the same, to upload new firmware through the web interface.(as i have always done before).
Except this time it didnt work..and after 15 min or so i had to reboot the router by taking the power.
Then the ready light never came up as the fellow above me described, And im not able to get in contact with the router again. it provides me wired internet connection, and thats all...so now i feel rather frustraded...as i dont know what to do :confused:

anyone know what i can do?

ive tried the device discovery application in the utility program, but it doesnt find any devices. i also tried to restore router without luck.

thxs for helping

regards

aslepet

joop3
16-09-2006, 21:04
Hmm, I downloaded the firmware, but didn't try to upgrade yet.
I will first print out the restoration procedure :)

b.t.w. a link to the forum thread on openwrt, although last post was on the 5th...

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=7147

aslepet
16-09-2006, 22:04
i managed to get it back up and running...wouldnt have been able to do it without the great tutorial by GerardNL.
http://wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=6266

Now im running router on the latest firmware.

aslepet

BlueEye
16-09-2006, 23:24
Update from 1.0.4.2 to 1.0.4.6 in ~3 Minutes without any Problem.

fraho
17-09-2006, 08:45
Update from 1.0.4.2 to 1.0.4.6 in ~3 Minutes without any Problem.

the same with me :)

IMM22
18-09-2006, 17:34
If you reset de wl700g with the new firm, the router wont boot any more.

You have then to made a firmware restoration.

try it

GerardNL
18-09-2006, 21:27
My router is now running 1.0.4.6. There was an error in the manual. (sorry).

Please have another look at that thread.

After that, I didn't have any problems anymore.

But I also didn't notice any changes.... (as in improvements) with this Firmware.

AverySimonsen
20-09-2006, 16:55
I too had some difficulty upgrading to 1046, but managed it in the end with the firmware restoration tool. Upgrading firmware is really fast using that tool!

I haven't noticed any great improvements either, except perhaps that the BT client does appear to have a slightly better average throughput. This may be just my imagination though. It still runs way way slower than it should. I really wish they would make it possible to monitor/limit bandwidth usage per application in stead of per port. Bittorrent is impossible to limit as far as I can see. For one thing you have to limit BT one port at the time and the standard port range spans several hundred ports. Secondly the router only allows me to limit 8 ports. Completely useless. If anybody can see what I am missing, please let me know :)

In my opinion it is really bad business for Asus not to have somebody read and participate in forums like this. They would have so much happier customers, if we knew that things were being done to improve the 'crappy firmware', as somebody fittingly put it.

pvklink
21-09-2006, 21:20
I have the same problem!
Routers continuely keeps flashing!
I tried reset etc.
Also tried a firm restoration, but this doesn't seems to work, i get no reply.
I can ping the router, that's all!
Somebody an idea?
DHCP does not seems to work anymore on the router and when i define a hard ip-adres, ezsetup screems that that is not allowed!

I going to search my old draytek....... 5 years old , never a problem

e-motion
21-09-2006, 21:43
Hi,

found the solution to get the thing up and running. Look at :
http://wl700g.info/showpost.php?p=36417&postcount=9

DaNawq
26-09-2006, 16:13
I've just compiled the new 1.0.4.6 GPL sources and replaced the old busybox with the latest one. No problems so far...

GerardNL
26-09-2006, 20:26
I've just compiled the new 1.0.4.6 GPL sources and replaced the old busybox with the latest one. No problems so far...

How about uploading such a custom firmware? That way we can test it?

(I guess you don't need any suggestions on what to change.....)

LeperKing
27-09-2006, 11:59

Are you able to compile with the latest samba?

LK

DaNawq
27-09-2006, 13:26
The sources seem to be very very unstable. By only activating vi in busybox for example they still compile successfully but the device won't boot up anymore.

My Progress so far:
1.0.4.6 GPL - works
+ Busybox 1.2.1 with exactly the same options like in 1.00pre2 - works
+ Dropbear (SSH-Server) - works with Login
+ Twonkyvision 3.1 Trial - works

But imho it's a far better aproach to get openwrt running instead of patching asus' unstable sources.

I think I spend the next day adding the serial adapter as mentioned in this great tutorial by Eric on this site.

Perkouw
27-09-2006, 18:59
don't understand much of the things that you have tested and that works properly :P

but are you able to add utorrent ???!!! in it!
and ofcourse only when it works etc. would be great!!!

MoD
10-10-2006, 19:22
The sources seem to be very very unstable. By only activating vi in busybox for example they still compile successfully but the device won't boot up anymore.

My Progress so far:
1.0.4.6 GPL - works
+ Busybox 1.2.1 with exactly the same options like in 1.00pre2 - works
+ Dropbear (SSH-Server) - works with Login
+ Twonkyvision 3.1 Trial - works

But imho it's a far better aproach to get openwrt running instead of patching asus' unstable sources.

I think I spend the next day adding the serial adapter as mentioned in this great tutorial by Eric on this site.

Hi! I was and I am still busy with my own projects but because of I installed Linux on my Win2000 box by using vmware, I was able to take a look at 1.0.4.6 firmware version. To my big surprise, the /rc.asus folder is almoust empty. there is no even services_ex.c file

Do I have a wrong GPL source version? Or asus has changed things a lot?

DaNawq
10-10-2006, 21:15
You're absolutly right ;(

They changed a lot (about 200 MB).

Wasn't able to autostart telnet yet.

MoD
12-10-2006, 06:24
You're absolutly right ;(

They changed a lot (about 200 MB).

Wasn't able to autostart telnet yet.

Hi:)!

can you tell us what did you discovered what has been changed?