PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Wl500gp!

Sebastian78
03-09-2006, 21:20
Router :Asus WL-500g Premium
FW : 1.9.6.9
Internet : 6000 kbit/s down
House : 2. story house w/basement, all wood, router on 2. floor, office/computer in basement.

THIS IS A LONG ONE.....................

I'm sitting here with my laptop, feeling like I have wasted money and time. Only getting aggrevation in return. I'm no wifi WIZZKID, but ever time a friend buy's something wireless, guess who has to set it up? ME!

I have had 3 routers in 3 years. Two Philips routers and one Belkin. The Belkin was the cheapest and the one woth least functions (Wireless G Router). But it worked with ok speed and signal strength,easy setup. The first Philips (CPWS54) was a piece of cookie to set up and worked flawlessly. But I wanted more functions, so I sold it to a friend. I wanted something "fancy" and ordered the Asus WL-500GP. (In the meantime, I bought a new Philips router (SNB6500) as an interim solution. A shop in Norway has a 30 day return policy on all products, even IF you have used it, eh abused their generosity).

NOW, I have set up the Asus router, everything basic worked and was easy to set up. But I bought it because it had usb ports for HDD and printer. You could also use a webcam. It looked like a bargain....................

I have now spent an entire saturday and sunday trying to get this piece of JUNK to work. Printer is not printing, webcam doesn't work. I have spent my entire weekend, wasting time, trying to get it to do what it says it does. I finally gave up and set up everything in standard mode and went to my office. Downloading from an FTP was slow, browsing seemed slower. I started using several speedtest on the internet.

I noticed I got over 50% REDCTION IN SPEED then compared to the Philips router. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. I have a 6mbit line in to my house. Before I got between 5500 and 6200 down. NOW with my NEW IMPROVED router I ONLY GET 2700 to 3200 kbit/s. WTF....WTFFFFFFFF

So I intsatlled Nettstumbler to monitor everything and what do I find? Moving away from the router, I loose about 50% of signal strength and same amount of noise. When I'm 2m from the router I get 6200 kbit/s down, 1. floor I get 3700 kbit/s and in the office I only get 2500-2800 kbit/s. THIS IS 50% SLOWER THEN WITH A PHILIPS ROUTER HALF THE PRICE.

So, I pay 50% more for a router and get a 50% reduction on wlan speed. AND I CAN'T GET THE F'ING PRINTER TO PRINT, THE WEBCAM TO WEBCAM and I'm starting to really REALLY HATE ASUS.

WHY GOD, WHY? This is just NOT good enogh......I have tried several different setting, I have tried with afterburner on and off......

Basically, IT SUCKS...................................

Oleg
03-09-2006, 21:25
Have you tried changing wireless chanell from auto to 1, 6 or 11?

Have you enabled Frame Bursting?

Have you installed latest dirvers for your laptop wi-fi card?

Does it support 802.11g? I'm getting 25-35 mbit/sec via wi-fi and up-to 90 mbit/sec using wired connection.

Sebastian78
03-09-2006, 22:56
Appreciate the fast respone Oleg. I have been "cruising" this forum for a long time before buying a new router and as far as I can tell, you are "The Goto Guy" as they say in old mafia movies.

Laptop : Toshiba P100
Wireless card : Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG
Driver : 10.5.1.59
Range laptop/router : 0m horisontal, 5-6m vertical (Direct line)
Connection: Excellent
Current T Power : [I]~32 mW (100%)[/I

Downloaded the newest drivers from Intel a month ago, even updated the driver when they released a new one fixing memory management problems a week ago.

Everything seems in order, singnal is good. But the speed is terrible.:mad:

Another thing is that the speed varies a lot. Sometimes I get 900 kbps and then I get 2900 kbps. (On the stationary connected to the WL-500 I always get over 6000 everytime).

I have tried every channel, there are only two other wifi networks in the area with very low signal.

Framebursting and Afterburner is enabled.........I don't have a microwave, no other wireless equipment. I have tried with Bluetooth on and off. All speed test is done with local/Norwegian sites so it should be accurate. Just got 911 kbps ON A 6000kbps line.... HORRIBLE. I have WPA-2-TKPI enabled, so no one is using my line.

This is the Submler info:

First couple of minutes is in basement
The peak is just next to the router and I gett 6000+ kbps
Then I spent some time in 1. floor
last couple of minutes is in basement again

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/6296/testsf0.jpg

Tomorrow I will bring an wifi card from work and try again...

A Philips router delivering better speeds then an Asus router....sounds strange to me.

Later

dakua
04-09-2006, 07:18
I bought this router too because of bandwidth manager and it doesn't even work as I expected to.... I tried it with wireless laptop but didn't test it for too long time. I am very suprised to hear that WL-500GP has problems with this too, I think I bring it back to the shop, where I bought it because I have had a lot of problem with it since I use....
With asus fw 1.9.6.7 (which was factory default fw in my router) I couldn't even UPLOAD to ftp!!!! what the hell, never heard about such a big bug....

This router is a shame, I am very disappointed

Pedro83
04-09-2006, 09:48
hi sebastian, I had similar problem (not quite, but some similarity is there) but then I was checking web through google and I have found that intel wifi modules may not work properly with some AP. they recommend to upgrade firmware in your AP, but as an temoprary solution they recommend to turn Power management of your wifi card to Highest. (Connections->wifi adapter->properties->advanced->configure->power management->highest) I also noticed I had no problem with mi wifi card until I installed newest drivers for my intel wifi card. Finally I replaced them with older and set power management for highest vale... now it is working (I will also try to lower that value to find out whether it is fault of new drivers)

Just give it try.

edit: I forgot to mention that I had no troubles connecting with other notebook with intel wifi but without the newest drivers and also no problems connecting wih iBook

Sebastian78
04-09-2006, 11:42
Looks like you have found out the same thing as me. I've spent some more time with this issue, searching the web (Since we are not allowed "to Google" stuff any more........). This is what I found out on the Intel web:

" Symptom(s):
If the wireless access point / wireless gateway does not properly support the PSP feature, intermittent loss of wireless connection, inability to initiate a wireless connection, or poor wireless connection data performance could result. The symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:
In a mobile environment, power save polling mode is a feature for extended battery life for mobile stations. The capability requires coordination between the access point and the laptop's wireless adapter for proper operations. Intel has discovered the feature may not be implemented correctly or completely in some wireless access points or wireless gateway devices.

Solution:
Contact the access point vendor for an updated software which corrects the problem.

As a temporary workaround, manually set the adapter to CAM (continually aware mode), which disables the PSP capability. To do this, in either Intel® PROSet for Wireless Software or the Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA), in the power management section, uncheck the DEFAULT / AUTO selection and set the slider for HIGHEST / MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE "

The thing is, I found almost every feature of the WL-500gP a "hassle" to set up and I still haven't been able to make it "work like it should". SO even if I get it "up to speed" there are quite a few boogeys in the box.

I tried with an 3Com Wireless USB dongle and I got 6300 kbps in the basement with it, it worked like a dream. The Intel chip still only gave me 1800-2500 kbps. I'll try turning off the power management feature and post the results after work today. SO is it Asus or Intel's fault?

In my opinion, Asus SHOULD make their devices work with one of the major manufacturers of onboard/internal wlan. Especialy power saving modes, because this is very important for most of laptop users.

martin72
04-09-2006, 12:27
Looks like you have found out the same thing as me. I've spent some more time with this issue, searching the web (Since we are not allowed "to Google" stuff any more........). This is what I found out on the Intel web:

" Symptom(s):
If the wireless access point / wireless gateway does not properly support the PSP feature, intermittent loss of wireless connection, inability to initiate a wireless connection, or poor wireless connection data performance could result. The symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:
In a mobile environment, power save polling mode is a feature for extended battery life for mobile stations. The capability requires coordination between the access point and the laptop's wireless adapter for proper operations. Intel has discovered the feature may not be implemented correctly or completely in some wireless access points or wireless gateway devices.

Solution:
Contact the access point vendor for an updated software which corrects the problem.

As a temporary workaround, manually set the adapter to CAM (continually aware mode), which disables the PSP capability. To do this, in either Intel® PROSet for Wireless Software or the Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA), in the power management section, uncheck the DEFAULT / AUTO selection and set the slider for HIGHEST / MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE "

The thing is, I found almost every feature of the WL-500gP a "hassle" to set up and I still haven't been able to make it "work like it should". SO even if I get it "up to speed" there are quite a few boogeys in the box.

I tried with an 3Com Wireless USB dongle and I got 6300 kbps in the basement with it, it worked like a dream. The Intel chip still only gave me 1800-2500 kbps. I'll try turning off the power management feature and post the results after work today. SO is it Asus or Intel's fault?

In my opinion, Asus SHOULD make their devices work with one of the major manufacturers of onboard/internal wlan. Especialy power saving modes, because this is very important for most of laptop users.

It is indeed not quite simple to get this device working as it should, but I still don't see many alternatives that I can set up as wireless router, print server, web server and network storage. Right now it all works fine to me (the distances in my house are limited), so the advise not to buy this device is a bit overstated I guess. Maybe I'm just so happy because I used to have some really old crap that only one in a while really worked, but I still think it is very useful and a nice value for money.

BR
Martin

Oleg
04-09-2006, 12:48
Well, guys, Intel WiFi cards are the crap. Really. The power management issue is well known too. As for access point software - the wi-fi stuff is written by Broadcom and it's widely tested for sure. I've no problems with Prism54g/Prism2/Orinoco/Atheros/Broadcom cards. The only problem is Intel!

Linksys/Bufallo/etc... use the same wi-fi software as ASUS, as it's closed source and Broadcom redistributes binaries. For me it looks like Intel ignores something in wi-fi specs or treats this differently. Perhaps Intel guys just fighting with Broadcom... This issue is about 3 years old...

As for printers: cheap printers are requiring firmware to be uploaded before they would work. Some are requiring direct access from the host. No print servers is able to do so, except native ones. So, if you bought a cheap Windows Only printer, don't blame print server.

r0kanon
04-09-2006, 13:49
I am not very happy about the ASUS original firmware and its web interface, but the thing is - after you set it up step by step (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=35340#post35340) - everything is working. I just do not know any other router at this price which would be able to offer all the options:

-> ssh access
-> complete firewall configurability
-> ipkg installable packages
-> USB HDD
-> downloads as you please (torrent, ftp, http)
-> print server
-> I probably forgot something ... :)

Sebastian78
04-09-2006, 13:55
Have a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and an old HP Deskjet 970c printer.

The 7660 is connected to the router
The 970c is connected to a Dell desktop computer
My laptop is conneted via Wlan
My dell is connected to the router with lan

The router recognises the 7660 and it's online, but I can't get it to print. (YES I have done what Asus tells me to do, to the point. But it seems like it requires something thats not listed from Asus.

I am btw able to print to the 970c when the Dell is powered thru the router. My laptop automatically found the 970c and everything worked flawlessly.

Another thing is that I can't find the webcam "list" Asus is talking about.

Question : Why didn't my "old" Philips router have any problem with m Intel wifi card?

My opinion is that Asus makes good hw but LOUSY SW...

Sebastian78
04-09-2006, 14:01
YES, it is a bit harsh to say "DON'T BUY ASUS" but I have now set up 3Com, Belkin, Philips, Netgear and Linkys routers. Every one was less hassle then this Asus one. It's perhaps because of the added features, BUT it SHOULD work as stated on the box it came in (AND Asus marketing). If it doesn't, it's breach of marketing.

This box, if it would work as Asus SAYS it work, would be the most amazing thing since Oreo's......seriously, it would be amazin.

r0kanon
04-09-2006, 14:11
As I said - the ASUS software is not polished at all. By far not the way NETGEAR soft/interface is for example. The reason why I think ASUS is worth buying - it is because you can replace that software.

The point is - you are not limited with what NETGEAR or other vendor has provided - you can put in all you want. So far ASUS seams very reasonable hardware that will do its basic functions out of box. As you said - for more advanced things - it sucks. But then there is Oleg's firmware, openwrt and guides created by people like you and me on how to set up these functions.

...enough said, keep it real...

EddieZ
04-09-2006, 14:53
YES, it is a bit harsh to say "DON'T BUY ASUS" but I have now set up 3Com, Belkin, Philips, Netgear and Linkys routers. Every one was less hassle then this Asus one. It's perhaps because of the added features, BUT it SHOULD work as stated on the box it came in (AND Asus marketing). If it doesn't, it's breach of marketing.

This box, if it would work as Asus SAYS it work, would be the most amazing thing since Oreo's......seriously, it would be amazin.

Well, as far as I experience all feature work like promised. Nothing more, nothing less. Only issue is that the router takes a lot of time to restart or update and that the internal pages sometimes are not to be reached.

And if you think the interface is hard to work with you might do some soul searching....(or take a wireless networking class) :D

Oleg
04-09-2006, 15:20
Question : Why didn't my "old" Philips router have any problem with m Intel wifi card?
Perhaps it's Atheros based and perhaps Intel guys does not fighting with Atheros? Perhaps Atheros ahs added some hacks to make Intel users happy.

Look, Broadcom is establishing wi-fi standards. Broadcom is offering most complicated solution with bunch of features, which is requiring strict standard compliance. Yes, it's very annoying, that Intel SW still has problems with 802.11g certified access points.

I'm not a Broadcom advocate, but Intel is "no name" in the wireless networking. Really. Yes, the customer should not care about compatibility, but the reality is different. Intel is aware of these problems, but have not changed anything.

Yes, ASUS firmware is the piece of crap too (for about 3 years already), but mostly we need right hardware to make a silent router, not the whole-in-one-wonder-machine. So, if you need plug-and-play thing, just buy another less complicated device.

Sebastian78
06-09-2006, 13:57
Here's my "WHY not buy the WL-500gP" :

Asus has lousy firmware!

It's GREAT that we have people like Oleg who tinker with sw for products like this, but it should be for people who want extra features or wants to do something special with their routers and want to learn more about networking. Not because the FW supplied doesn't work. People buy this product and can't get their head arround it. Wifi is hard enough for "ordinary" people, we don't need a product like this for the "mainstream". I know quite a bit about networking, but not enough.

There are a lot of small bugs in the FW!

Aaaah, it's hard to love something that sucks this much. What can I say, just take a look around this forum and you can see people having more problems then an insecure teenager at her first day of school.

Updates are few and far between

They don't come when we need them and they don't fix what they say they do. Just look around on this forum....people are getting fed up.

Hardly any webcams work with the "Webcam" function

I can't find the "Supported Webcams" on the Asus site and it's not easy looking thru here to find one that does. It's a function that is mentioned so that people by the router, so it should "just work" and Asus should be the one to tell you which webcam it works with.

It not easy to set up a printer

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrgggggrevation

Transfer speed with a HDD connected to the USB port is slow

It's not recomendable to use ut as a media hub or large files. So why do you need a 160GB wlan HDD?

It's not 100% compatible with the majority of internal wfi cards sold (Intel)

Oh well, don't you just love a good thing. Throughput is not constant, speed bounces up and down. Sometimes I get 6300 kbps, then the next second I get 600 kbps. This is with powersaving mode TURNED OF GUYS AND GALS!!!

ASUS support is probably the WORST of any company at the moment...

This forum is amazing, BUT PEOPLE SHOULDENT HAVE TO USE THIS FORUM FOR PROBLEMS THAT ASUS SHOULD HELP YOU WITH. They sell you a faulty device, then they don't help you with it afterwards. It's like "It doesn't work? Oh, sorry there is nothing we can do for you"

Basically, It does not do what it says on the box....

I hate, I HATE ASUS AT THE MOMENT. IT'S THE WORST ROUTER I HAVE EVER USED.....Off course, some people will have fewer problems, BUT NOT MENY WILL GET IT TO DO WHAT IT SAYS IT DOES without a lot of searching this forum....

I am only talking about the standard FW in this post, because that's what counts for MOST people.

Do NOT under ANY circumstance BUY this product, because you WILL get dissapointed...

Sebastian, Norway

EddieZ
06-09-2006, 15:47
Man, you really don't know sh** about computing at all...

In short:
1. If you want to learn: get some books
2. Software (firmware) without bugs: first bugfree program is still to be written.
3. Firmware comes when they are finished making it: And yes, we would all like 'the perfect firmware' on the day we buy the thing.
4. WEBCAMS: Direct your remark to the webcam manufacturers. Or just buy a webcam that costs more than $20
5. If you can read you will have your printer setup in under two minutes. For illiterates you are right: the pictures are not clear.
6. Connecting HDD to a router has always amazed me.: Why??
7. Wireless compatibility: The most sold isn't always the best...
8. Support: Buy a KiSS DP600 and try support. You'll be happy with Asus afterwards.
9. GET OVER IT, PATHETIC LITTLE MAN. And stop being a troll (look it up in a wiki) :eek:

Sebastian78
06-09-2006, 22:14
How did you know I wasn't tall........hmmm

AAMP
07-09-2006, 17:11
I've ordered the 500g Premium router, mainly because there's nothing else like it. I've also got a 250Gb USB drive at the same time, for music etc.

If it doesn't mostly work with the latest firmware it may be going back. Depends whether I expect the faults to be fixed or not (Oleg or Asus, I don't mind, but hardware/design faults shouldn't be tolerated.

I suspect Sabastian is partially right (although a bit picky :) ) but I'll find out for myself (and I have an AMD notebook not Intel :) ). This router has 4 features that are the sole reason for buying it instead of the Linksys Linux router:

1. NAS: Network attached HDDs have a whole industry built around them and an extremely large market. It means I can access the same files from any machine on my network.

2. Print Server: Won't be using this function yet.

3. Webcam: This is a big feature that should work out of the box. Although I WILL buy a webcam from the 'supported webcams' list.

4. Download Manager: Leaving my main machine on to download torrents is too noisy. This thing says it can do it. I hope it can.

I've read a few reviews and forum posts and reckon that the user interface isn't that bad. But it should do all the things advertised or it's a con.

Question: Why doesn't ASUS support this website and the contributors. They could use the mods on this forum to make the product better but also add their own updates..... It probably clashes with their bottom line I guess....would be nice to have a partnership (like Rockbox.org and Archos).

And really Eddie, your comments are personal. Why flame the guy for reporting facts. If you can prove him wrong you should. He's only putting newbies off, not the kind of people who don't mind playing with Linux scripts!

ASUS is a trusted name. If they release shoddy hardware they'll only be hurting themselves.

Gerry Boland
07-09-2006, 17:29
Just like AAMP, I've ordered this model & am eagerly awaiting the postman's ring tomorrow. Hence my first post on these forums!

I was aware of the problems that people were having with this series of routers before I ordered, but I think that the benefits outweigh the effort that appears to be necessary to get it working properly. It has a fantastic feature list, I can't wait to have my external hard disk connected to it & stream movies off it to my iBook anywhere in the house. Download managing sounds handy too, if it's implimented alright, I'll have to see.

Certainly it is a bad show by Asus if the firmware is buggy, but I'm willing to try out Oleg's firmware if necessary - actually I more than likely will as I'd love to be able to access my hard drive from work.

You'll be hearing from me if I've problems anyway. But I'm not planning to be disappointed:)
-Gerry

EddieZ
07-09-2006, 22:09
I've ordered the 500g Premium router, mainly because there's nothing else like it. I've also got a 250Gb USB drive at the same time, for music etc.

If it doesn't mostly work with the latest firmware it may be going back. Depends whether I expect the faults to be fixed or not (Oleg or Asus, I don't mind, but hardware/design faults shouldn't be tolerated.

I suspect Sabastian is partially right (although a bit picky :) ) but I'll find out for myself (and I have an AMD notebook not Intel :) ). This router has 4 features that are the sole reason for buying it instead of the Linksys Linux router:

1. NAS: Network attached HDDs have a whole industry built around them and an extremely large market. It means I can access the same files from any machine on my network.

2. Print Server: Won't be using this function yet.

3. Webcam: This is a big feature that should work out of the box. Although I WILL buy a webcam from the 'supported webcams' list.

4. Download Manager: Leaving my main machine on to download torrents is too noisy. This thing says it can do it. I hope it can.

I've read a few reviews and forum posts and reckon that the user interface isn't that bad. But it should do all the things advertised or it's a con.

Question: Why doesn't ASUS support this website and the contributors. They could use the mods on this forum to make the product better but also add their own updates..... It probably clashes with their bottom line I guess....would be nice to have a partnership (like Rockbox.org and Archos).

And really Eddie, your comments are personal. Why flame the guy for reporting facts. If you can prove him wrong you should. He's only putting newbies off, not the kind of people who don't mind playing with Linux scripts!

ASUS is a trusted name. If they release shoddy hardware they'll only be hurting themselves.

Ofcourse, my response lacks finesse. But his way of showing personal discontent or lack of knowledge about the product is not very civilized.
I do not intent to defend Asus, I don't give a rat's ass about them. Any other brand will do.

But, more important, discussions on the forum should be correct and informative for newbies and Linux-nerds (:D ) alike. The use of grand capitals and the unsubstantiated showing of personal ignorance/lack of knowledge belong on other fora. Who wants shouters in a library?

Sebastian78
11-09-2006, 09:44
Don't recall "shouting", but off course you have a point. Shouting isn't very intelligent. But that is a totally different discussion, the thing that I wanted to get across was that the router isn't 100% as it should be. When buying a product from a reputable manufacturer like Asus, you shouldn't have to be a "Linux Nerd" to get something to work........it's should "just work".

I am picky, I know, my friends know.......I think it's called "analy retarded" hehe, I just want things to be perfect (at least almost...)

Right now, I get full speed on the router sometimes. But it's not stable at all. If I load a webpage, i might get over 6000 kbps. When I reload it, I can get anywhere from 980 kbps to 2800 kbps. It's not constant and it's very annoying.

My point is that:

A product should work as stated
The produer should show interest in upgrading and fixing bugs rather quickly
Advanced features, requires advanced knowledge....BUT should work rather "hassle free"
It could (or rather SHOULD) be THE best router out there, but at the moment, it is NOT....

At least the design looks kinda nice.....

r0kanon
11-09-2006, 17:55
I guess shouting in text mode is using bold, caps and size increase to draw attention to your point. I personally find your latest exclamation:

Do NOT under ANY circumstance BUY this product, because you WILL get dissapointed...

plainly misleading. The product works very well - if you do what is recommended on the forums. Most of the features - firewall, wifi, hdd, samba, download master did work out of the box. With less control you would get from using the command line - so not perfect, but still working.

However the point is - it works really well if you upload customised firmware and operate through command line. I guess it works also via web interface then, but cl is much more convenient.

Most of the people here discuss firmware customization to make the router work well. I wonder if this really is the target audience where you want to moan at length how something is not working exactly how it is supposed to? If everything was working and nothing could be changed - would there be such a forum in the first place?

Bye

EddieZ
12-09-2006, 08:12
Don't recall "shouting", but off course you have a point. Shouting isn't very intelligent. But that is a totally different discussion, the thing that I wanted to get across was that the router isn't 100% as it should be. When buying a product from a reputable manufacturer like Asus, you shouldn't have to be a "Linux Nerd" to get something to work........it's should "just work".

I am picky, I know, my friends know.......I think it's called "analy retarded" hehe, I just want things to be perfect (at least almost...)

Right now, I get full speed on the router sometimes. But it's not stable at all. If I load a webpage, i might get over 6000 kbps. When I reload it, I can get anywhere from 980 kbps to 2800 kbps. It's not constant and it's very annoying.

My point is that:

A product should work as stated
The produer should show interest in upgrading and fixing bugs rather quickly
Advanced features, requires advanced knowledge....BUT should work rather "hassle free"
It could (or rather SHOULD) be THE best router out there, but at the moment, it is NOT....

At least the design looks kinda nice.....

AFIK the machine perfectly out of the box. Full speed, fast wireless videostreaming without hickups and problemfree configuration thru webinterface and comandline. But I know what I'm doing...

Firmware updates do appear on a regular basis, I have had the WL500gP for one month now and upgraded the firmware 2 times already, immediately when it came out.

And for the price you pay for it, it should not be the best router out there. If yu wanted the best (consumer) router out there, you should have gotten yourself a larger budget to spend...:cool:

For your speed problems, you might broaden your view to the rest of your network setup or ADSL/cable stability.

Sebastian78
12-09-2006, 11:02
THIS IS SHOUTING......THIS is just MAKINg a point or putting attention to certain words, no?

When I connect to the routers LAN port, I always get from 6000 to 7000 kbps. With my stationary pc, I get the same speed. The low speed is ONLY with WLAN.

There are no other wlan in the area (Network Stubler)
I don't have a microwave
No power lines "in air" for over 20 km
No mobile transmitters close by

Oh and from what I can gather, most of Asus's new laptops comes with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wlan card.......NOT Atheros......

If THIS is shouting, I WONT do it any more......btw you are just sidetracking the discussion. My guess is that only 10-15% of users here get the darn thing to work without a lot of hasse and most of them have deep knowledge about routers and wlan....most others, ask stupid questions like me.....

EddieZ
12-09-2006, 14:51
Well, I just turned it on and it worked flawlessly...

With WLAN there can be some other fators that influence speed:

Obstructions walls, different floors, a lot of solid concrete walls with steel, steel doors
Channel: Some channels just do better. Preffered ones are 1,6, 11 (middle of each spectrum)
Encryption: encryption is designed not to slow down traffic, but it does sometimes
NIC driver: Use the most basic settings. If reception is < 80% set the NIC steady on the B band. Unstablity is kiling for a good G connection; it keeps switching speeds and that takes milliseconds. Perhaps try to enhance the packetsize and tweak windows/ Intel driver.

In short, I'm 90% convinced that your problems do not originate frome the Asus router.

And I'm sorry that demanding the most out of computers/networks without having too much knowledge is a rare combination. It's like getting myself into a Ferrari F1 for one time and wanting to have the fastest laptime right away..

Printing: Configure the right port and protocol (LPR) and firewalls and every HP should work (generic printerlanguage)

kokoro
13-09-2006, 20:49
Hi,

I can not solve your problem, this is just a intel user report.

I have a laptop with internal wifi card Intel Pro 1450 802.11 a/b/g bands.
I bought a wl500g 2 years ago, i never had such problems, so for sure i do not use all the BW, i'm using it at work as a nomad and at home.

It happened i used it with ten wifi people with AES 128b, from 1m to 150m and more. I had no remark about wifi but only about external WLAN internet speed ;)
I was very glad to switch from 1mW to 99mW the Tx PW, to adapt range and slow down radio emissions when unuseful.

So i would like you to make a objective benchmark, with various configurations before posting in big capital to not buy this or this.

I can not say "do not buy a Philips router", because i had only Asus for the moment, i quite satisfied for the moment with its features, and sorry guy i recommended it to IT friends, for instance one who wanted to share its printer with parallel port (funny but true, and i did it also at work with ten people).

The main reason i bought it was HDD FTP and webserver and related stuff with customized FW, and i think it is the step ahead, and so surprised that Asus and competitors did not already officially developped them in order to make them accessible to common people (not fond of as yours (ours ok:))

Van harte
:cool:

Sebastian78
22-09-2006, 14:32
Still having problems with slow speeds, then suddenly no problems, then extremely slow speeds the next second. I Still think "ordinary" people shouldn't buy the Asus WL500gP....

If it's Asus's fault, Intel's, Toshiba or anybody elses fault doesn't matter really, I'm just telling people that if you have a Intel internal wifi car, don't buy an Asus router because at the present time, they don't talk to eachother very well.

Off course there will be sw updates, but not right now.....

People are going to hate me for this, but I think Apple's "It just works" campain is a very good thing. You can say a lot of bad things about Apple or even (gosh) Microsoft....but it seems Apple tests their prodctucts with whats available in the market at that time, making sure it works.......no matter who is to blame for any issue that pops up.

Oleg
22-09-2006, 16:30
FYI, Apple uses Broadcom chips for Airport products. :) And they would work fine with WL500gp for sure.

EddieZ
22-09-2006, 18:55
Still having problems with slow speeds, then suddenly no problems, then extremely slow speeds the next second. I Still think "ordinary" people shouldn't buy the Asus WL500gP....

If it's Asus's fault, Intel's, Toshiba or anybody elses fault doesn't matter really, I'm just telling people that if you have a Intel internal wifi car, don't buy an Asus router because at the present time, they don't talk to eachother very well.

Off course there will be sw updates, but not right now.....

People are going to hate me for this, but I think Apple's "It just works" campain is a very good thing. You can say a lot of bad things about Apple or even (gosh) Microsoft....but it seems Apple tests their prodctucts with whats available in the market at that time, making sure it works.......no matter who is to blame for any issue that pops up.

Considering the fact that you see yourself as an ordinary guy with no knowledge of networking I bet the speedlapses are caused by
something else than your WL500gP.

Sorry m8, just get yourself another forum to release your anger. You don't want advice, you only want to shout at the world. Reember: the human mind is like a parachute: it only works when it opens up...

Sebastian78
22-09-2006, 19:49
Ah yes, the wrath of "locals"....I'll shut up now, but at least when some other piece of fresh wifi-meat strolls into this forum, at least he'll now that it's sometimes a hassle getting this thing to work. (I'm not the only one posting problems here.......)

AND when they do release better FW, it'll do what it says on the box......because it should be an amazing product.

EddieZ
23-09-2006, 00:30
Ah yes, the wrath of "locals"....I'll shut up now, but at least when some other piece of fresh wifi-meat strolls into this forum, at least he'll now that it's sometimes a hassle getting this thing to work. (I'm not the only one posting problems here.......)

AND when they do release better FW, it'll do what it says on the box......because it should be an amazing product.

Everybody is proud of you :p

Oleg
23-09-2006, 17:35
Finally, topic closed.