PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : BT's

joolzg
03-09-2006, 14:15
New user, just got my 700ge online and been playing with it, nice except

1. 50% of torrents seem never to connect and download, i then try with uTorrent and it starts within seconds. Am i doing anything wrong?

2. Seems to drop the connection a lot, maybe just me but its worse that my old router

joolz

GerardNL
06-09-2006, 10:36
I've noticed the same thing. Once of the reason for me to buy this router was the BT support, but with constant dropping of the connection downloading takes much much much longer then with a normal client on my PC.

The most current firmware version (1.0.4.2) doesn't solve this problem either, so I hope that ASUS will do something about it, since I'm sure there are plenty of people that want to use the BitTorrent part of this router.

joolzg
06-09-2006, 14:07
well just did a test again today

uTorrent - 2 hours and 17 minutes for complete download on my home connections (uk)

WL700ge - .04% after 2 hours 17 minutes on a 24Mb connection in sweden?

Does anybody have a good email address to complain about this as this was one of the reasons for getting this was to set the router to download and then FTP it to myself

joolz

GerardNL
06-09-2006, 15:20
I have simular experience, but it seems that it download for 10 seconds and then falls asleep for 1 minute to continue again. That way, the download would take easily 6 times longer then via a normal client on the PC.

I've installed the ash shell on the router as described in an other post so I could do some pooking around under the hood. I used to be able to compile the kernel and things like that. But it's been a while, so I am a bit rusty.

Anyway.....

For BitTorrent they are using a command-line BitTorrent client called "ctorrent".

This seems to be from this site: http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/

But as you can see on the site, the project is basically been in coma for the last 2 years.

When I do a "ctorrent -h", the program reports: "ctorrent-1.3.4.700gE.8.n"

On the mentioned web-site, the last version released on 09-07-2004 was version 1.3.4, so the version on our router sounds like a ported version without any improvements based on the 2 year old code.

So, this is not really promising. BT has gone quite a bit since then. Maybe the guys that are working on a custom Firmware could include something newer like "Enhanced CTorrent" on http://www.rahul.net/dholmes/ctorrent/ . With some luck this is command line compatible and could be replaced with minimum effort.

Talking about command-line: I've tried to start a new BT download via the command line, but I haven't been able get it to work yet. Have to do a little bit of testing.

So, for now I would say: Stick with BT on your PC and wait for the next (custom) release....

joolzg
06-09-2006, 16:12
it looks like i will have to remove the router and bring it home with me next week so i can get into this linux programming stuff, i currently write embedded software which usually has a small rtos or none at all. (professional satellite receivers etc)

joolz

joolzg
06-09-2006, 16:14
one other thing, cant we ask Asus to add the new "enhanced ctorrent" for us?:D

joolz

GerardNL
06-09-2006, 16:29
one other thing, cant we ask Asus to add the new "enhanced ctorrent" for us?:D

joolz

Yes, that would be nice, but looking at the ASUS web site and the community around the WL-500 series router, I have a feeling that ASUS is not really that active in providing cutting edge updates. And since they have release the source code of this router, it just seems more likely that some kind of custom build would make us happy soon (wishfull thinking...)

joolzg
06-09-2006, 16:38
so give me a heads up on what i need to build the source code.

can it be done on a windows machine, i ask cause this is all i have as all my dev tools are based on windows.

joolz

GerardNL
06-09-2006, 17:37
The best tip would be: reading, reading, reading. There is plenty about compiling etc in the WL-500 forums.

For the WL-700, have a look at this post: http://wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=5748

You'll need to have a Linux machine running to compile the sources. But as I read it, there are quite a few people that have tried it and have not succeeded yet.

But assuming you will be able to get the standard package to compile and install on your router, the first thing you probably want to do is build in the telnet service, so you don't have to use the telnet hack everytime you reset the router and then have of course a proper telnet service with password protection. SSH would be even better, but Telnet would already be something.

The next thing would be to work out how the webpage works where you can upload the torrent file and starts the ctorrent program. Those are CGI scripts and don't look to complicated, but I haven't been able to work it out yet.

Once we know how the ctorrent program is started (and with which parameters) it should be possible to replace it by something else.

And to be able to use a different torrent program, you'll need to compile those for this router. But if you figure out how to compile the firmware, this shouldn't be to hard.

So, I'm afraid that the above will take quite a bit of time and probably works best as a team effort. I will set up a Linux machine as well and see if I can get a firmware version to work.

joolzg
06-09-2006, 22:47
Well i have a week or two before i can get back over to do anything with it, will put a virtual pc on my machine,

which linux should i choose?

cant do anything this weekend as the wife is flying over to go and see Robbie williams so i am a chauffeur.

Maybe next week i will get some time to have a play.

joolz

GerardNL
11-09-2006, 21:16
I am not sure. I think either would work.

Maybe other forum members have a preference/experience with a specific Linux?

nitzer
17-09-2006, 11:12
After many different setups of the firewall of my Dlink router and the WL700g (used as an AP), I'm able to use Btorrent with my WL700g. However I have a main issue... I would like to limit the upload speed to 15KBps!!!! Most of the time my upload goes up to 30KBps and it slows down significantly my download speed and in the mean time i'm almost stuck to browse webpages. I have a 3000/300 internet connection. :confused:

FYI :

1) I have upgraded to firmware 1.0.4.6 (took me quite a long time to do it by the way).
2) On WL700gE in the Applications - Basic Config screen, I chose a BT Port Range 49600 - 49601. I also set to Get IP Automatically in the IP Config - LAN screen (on my Dlink I set the WL700gE to be a Static DHCP Client by giving him 192.168.1.1 as IP address)
3) In my Firewall of my Dlink router I setup the following :

[Action] [Name] [Source] [Destination] [Protocol]
[Allow] [X11111] [WAN,*] [LAN,192.168.1.1] [TCP,49600-49601]
[Allow] [X22222] [WAN,*] [LAN,192.168.1.1] [UDP,43600]
[Allow] [X33333] [WAN,*] [LAN,192.168.1.1] [UDP,49600-49601]

Don't ask me why in the second line of the Firewall Rule list the protocol is UDP, 43600. I figured all these rules out by noticing that azureus installed on my Mac was setting up all these parameters automatically on my Dlink (DI-624) router firewall.

If someone, or Asus people, could give us a solution to limit the upload speed, I think the WL700gE would start to be really usefull for the purpose we bought it for ;)

nitzer
17-09-2006, 11:31
In my previous reply to thread I mentionned in the second line of my firewall rule list [Allow] [X22222] [WAN,*] [LAN,192.168.1.1] [UDP,43600] and that I was not quite sure why this had to be setup.

In fact since I added that rule to my firewall, I noticed that I'm not losing peers anymore like described in some other posts in this forum. Maybe someone with some knowledge in firewalls and btorrent could explain..???

Conclusion : Btorrent is working fine now. I got really good download speed performance, except when the upload speed becomes to high... it's slowing down my download speed (as explained in previous reply). So Asus team, you know what you have to do to improve your machine... add a download and upload speed interface. :)

GerardNL
17-09-2006, 12:00
It's a bit of a guess here, but I am assuming that that UDP port is for the Distributed Database. (That's a feature of the Azureus client to find peers even when the tracker is not working (well)).

GerardNL
17-09-2006, 12:02
1) I have upgraded to firmware 1.0.4.6 (took me quite a long time to do it by the way).
I couldn't get my router to upgrade (see other thread) and I understand that you had some problems as well. Could you explain it a bit more, specially how you find the solution.

nitzer
17-09-2006, 12:51
Hi GerardNL! Yes, this time I really thought that my WL700gE was fucked up. :eek:

So please find hereafter the steps which worked for me :

1) unplug the power cord of your machine for 20 seconds
2) hold the EZSetup button while plugin power on
3) once the blue Ready LED is blinking unhold immediately EZSetup button, wait 10 seconds...
4) start Firmware Restoration on your pc and select last firmware, press upload.
5) a box will appear where you can see the router is being found and the firmware being uploaded. After some seconds, the window will automatically close...
6) Last Important step!!!!! Don't press reset button, but wait for 1 or 2 minutes and you will notice that the WL700gE is still working even if in previous step the window automatically closed. The blue IDE LED will blink showing that your manchine is still processing some stuff and after a while the blue Ready LED and also the blue AIR LED will shine.
7) Now you should try to browse a webpage on your PC or Mac.

Hope it will work for you as it did for me :)

nitzer
17-09-2006, 14:06
In fact something I would like to add concerning issues with BT on the WL700gE... Download Master seems to no recognize files larger than 4Gb as I have a torrent which for example is 7.2Gb and it's showing in Download Master 4GB/7.2GB in the column size... even if the torrent is completed. :confused:

IMM22
18-09-2006, 09:12
Hi,

When I try to make a download HTTP files using "download manager" in the router or using the windows tool, I get allways the same error with all king of files.

Invalid URL
Type: UNKNOWN
Error: sock error

Does any one knows why I get allways this error? Is there any solution?
Can some one Help Me? :confused:
Thanks

GerardNL
18-09-2006, 21:53
Running 1.0.4.6, I've tried the BitTorrent client again to see if they made any improvements in it, but to my supprise, it was getting worse:

Now the download didn't even START downloading. It did connect to 5 pears, but not a bit was getting into my direction.

It was not the hottest file in town, but with at least 5 pears there shouldn't be any reason for the download to stay in "Queued" state (according to the Download Master) or in "Processing" state (according to the Download Master).

Does anyone have this same experience?

Perkouw
19-09-2006, 15:38
Running 1.0.4.6, I've tried the BitTorrent client again to see if they made any improvements in it, but to my supprise, it was getting worse:

Now the download didn't even START downloading. It did connect to 5 pears, but not a bit was getting into my direction.

It was not the hottest file in town, but with at least 5 pears there shouldn't be any reason for the download to stay in "Queued" state (according to the Download Master) or in "Processing" state (according to the Download Master).

Does anyone have this same experience?

Running on 1.0.4.2
my problems with download master are now
when you first load the torrent >> File Name says : Invalid Url
than when you press refresh it changes to the file name!
and than it works wel actually it works on h33t and torrents i grab from mininova but first it worked also with torrenttrader lite trackers based on that script but i guess that is history
i got connected to some friends but it wasn't uploading/downloading so verry f*cked up!!

i hope there will be a GOOD new firmware upgrade soon!
someone got contact with asus or something ?
i'm getting so tired/mad of this situation why i ever payed € 250,- inc shipping
for a thing that isn't doing his job :s!

gerardnl: consumentenbond iets om te bellen o.d dat zij kunnen helpen ??!!

infoanarchy
20-09-2006, 07:04
i hope there will be a GOOD new firmware upgrade soon!
someone got contact with asus or something ?
i'm getting so tired/mad of this situation why i ever payed € 250,- inc shipping
for a thing that isn't doing his job :s!
i haven't yet grappled with the unit's BT bugs, but i too am getting a bit angry. i want at the very least acknowledgement by asus of these many bugs and a pledge to fix them.

i'd suggest we get organized, compiling bugs and splitting up into teams to document, test and submit them via the asus technical inquiry form. if asus is unresponsive we shd escalate our tactics to contacting electronics/hardware review sites in advance of their reviews (perhaps incl. those that have already awarded asus for the wl-700ge (http://www.asus.com/search.aspx?searchitem=3&searchkey=WL-700gE)).

we might also take the time to post cautionary notes to vendor sites such as newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16822320001) (where i got mine) to let buyers know to beware, and put a flame under asus' butt.

$250 is a lot of dough for me (and i'm sure for many of you) + i really need a baseline of reliability and features to justify this expense. i would be a lot more patient if i saw some public assurance by asus that this product cannot yet fulfill what they promise. instead i see a lame duck, slow-as-molasses, 'user-to-user' forum on their site, minimal documentation, and few options for support.

rrrrrr. sit ubu sit

IMM22
20-09-2006, 08:52
Nery nice. I'm intereted in parcitipating.;)

infoanarchy
20-09-2006, 19:55
Nery nice. I'm intereted in parcitipating.;)
See this thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=36488) about encouraging asus to make the wl-700ge firmware a priority. Post your own list of concerns; what you pledge to submit to asus.

power to the people, er, consumers!

GerardNL
21-09-2006, 17:36
I've emailed ASUS and after 2 weeks I got a reply regarding my message about the disconnecting downloads.

In the reply, they say it's due to lack of clients and not problem with router. I guess my original message to them was not to clear. So I've replied and with more details and also asked them to visit this forum for more information from other forum members as well.

Hopefully ASUS will wake up and make our router a super BT client :-)

joolzg
21-09-2006, 19:46
i also been in touch with asus and with information from GerardNL i explained in simple english that the torrent engine was out of date and even gave them the link to the new one.

The reply was this WAS being passed on to the relevant people so lets all hope.

Anyway I am home in sweden so I will have a look this week at my 700ge.

joolz

GerardNL
22-09-2006, 20:10
Today I already had a reply from ASUS regarding my more detailed follow-up of the start-stop downloads in BT.

This was the reply from Ramon Meems:

Hello,

Unfortunately we don't have a solution for you at this moment.
I would like to advice you to keep an eye on the website and check for the latest firmware update.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Asus TSD Team

So, that was pointless. The fact that it doesn't include any bit of technical information, make it sounds like a standard-insert-a-polite-rejection-email

I hope others have more luck