PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-500gP with 3G USB Modem and Oleg's Firmware

[Lamas]
25-08-2006, 00:40
Hello,

I'm new in this land, but i want to question if someone nows if exist any firmware with CDMA to ASUS WL-500gP, and where I can find it.

Thanks,
JF

Mektub
25-08-2006, 20:44
;34977']Hello,

I'm new in this land, but i want to question if someone nows if exist any firmware with CDMA to ASUS WL-500gP, and where I can find it.

Thanks,
JF

Hi, I am using the ASUS WL-500gP ith the firmware I found at this site:

http://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download/162/

and it works perfectly with my CDMA USB modem.

The firmware is in english, but since the site is in Check and I dont understand
this language it was kind of trial and error.

Bur so far so good.

Mektub

calaba
11-10-2006, 20:15
The firmware is in english, but since the site is in Check and I dont understand this language it was kind of trial and error.
Mektub

Check that this site is in "Czech" ;)

int
27-10-2006, 15:42
WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre5-CDMA-1.62.trx work well for me too, but this firmware are secure? I don't want my wl-500gp dead.. :p

And with the problem about the range of 500gP? my 500g have more that twice range that 500gP.

And in the box say it more that 300% range..

int
27-10-2006, 16:22
This cdma fw have some bugs that it need to be fixed :)

I can't use Dynamic DNS Say:

ddns update: could not resolve ip address for vlan1.

It seems easy to solve..

Morcegolas
06-12-2006, 13:19
Hello, I want to buy a 3G USB Modem to have internet everywhere but when I am at home I have another computers and I want to share my connection without having one computer turned on to share the internet! I looked for intensively in the Internet and finnaly I found one router called Asus WL-500g deluxe with 2 Usb Ports that works with one ISP from Portugal called ZAPP, so my awnser is if this works with the Vodafone USB 3G Connection Box.

Here you have a photo of it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/3719-2.jpg

Hope you can help me!
Thanks!

drazvan
06-12-2006, 19:39
Yes, the Asus WL500g Deluxe works with that dongle (I'm assuming you are talking about the Huawei E220 - a.k.a. Vodafone SmartModem). But it doesn't work out of the box, you need to load the usbserial module manually (or in /usr/local/sbin/post-boot) and configure the dialup settings. Other than that it works (don't expect HSDPA speeds though, that won't happen until someone recompiles the usbserial module for the WL500g with the extensions suggested at http://www.junxion.com/opensource/linux_highspeed_usbserial.html - there's another thread I opened on the subject earlier).

Razvan

engy
07-12-2006, 05:32
Try this http://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download.

drazvan
07-12-2006, 11:30
That's the one I'm using and it doesn't help much. The USB Serial module is still the same slow one, they're using the acm module for the EVDO modems. I'm in Romania and we have a CDMA 450 EVDO network here so I was able to test. You still need to insert the module manually and you still get slow speeds.

int
29-12-2006, 14:22
A new release with the last and final firmware of OLEG, and with the bugs I reported fixed.

http://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download/163/

The changes 1.62 to 1.63:

* priprava uzivatelskych scriptu v /usr/local/sbin
* moznost zadani username/password/apn pro IP Wireless (T-Mobile 4G)
* podpora GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA modemů Zadacom 2G a 3G+
* opravy spravy DNS v zalohovanem spojeni
* funkcni DDNS (dyndns) pro vytacena spojeni se zjistovanim skutecne vnejsi ip adresy
* Changes of OLEG:
* Switched to Busybox 1.1.3
* VT6212 USB 2.0 patch (10-15% speedup)
* USB sticks without MBR should be also now mounted
* Storage devices are using async options by default
* WL500g Premium support (MirrorBit Flash support, nvram validation, 32mb enabled) !!! The firmware is totally different from the stock one: no DM, different FTP server and Samba! Do not flash if in doubt - you would miss some features !!!
* Additional pppd options field is now 255 chars long
* PPP now defaults to unlimited number of connection attempts
* PPTP connections now use MTU 1400 by default
* DHCP+PPTP (0.0.0.0 gateway support in the MAN routes, DNS and default gateway options now could be acquired from DHCP too, symbolic PPTP name support, PPTP client now adds route to the server)
* Fixed MAN->LAN firewall issue (be sure to enable WAN to LAN filter and set default action to DROP!)
* Fixed some firewall defaults (WAN->LAN is now enabled and DROPs)
* "Apply to routing table" option is now in effect
* Default gateway is no longer appears in the nameserver list in the AP mode
* SIGALRM is no longer blocked in the post-mount
* Minor bugs...

yapit
04-01-2007, 13:00
Hi Mektub,

May i know what CDMA Modem do you use with WL-500gP ?

Thank you ..

Mektub
04-01-2007, 13:52
Hi Mektub,

May i know what CDMA Modem do you use with WL-500gP ?

Thank you ..

The modem comes in a pack when you subscribe to ZAPP, a company that operates in Portugal and several other countries. They call it Z010, but I think it is a 'Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM'.

They now deliver another modem called Z020 but I suppose those are internal names from Zapp.

They look like this:

int
05-01-2007, 03:33
The modem comes in a pack when you subscribe to ZAPP, a company that operates in Portugal and several other countries. They call it Z010, but I think it is a 'Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM'.

They now deliver another modem called Z020 but I suppose those are internal names from Zapp.

They look like this:

I use the same modem Z010 from Zapp Portugal.

--Usb Adaptor--
P: Vendor=05c6 ProdID=3196 Rev= 0.00
S: Manufacturer=Qualcomm, Incorporated
S: Product=Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM

-------
Firmware : AA3.3.30 NM20RM3026 ^A
Power state : 85% (battery)
Signal : -0dB
Hybrid mode : CDMA+HDR

---=== Details ===---
Software Version : NM20RM3026A
Compile Date : r 12 20051
Compile Time : :14:29*
Station Class Mark : 0x06
Mobile CAI Revision : 0x5F
Mobile Model : 0x04
Firmware Revision : 0x0102
Slot Cycle Index : 0x00
Demodulator ID : 0x0100
Decoder ID : 0x00
Interleaver ID : 0x6B
Rx Automatic Gain Control : 0x
Tx Automatic Gain Control : 0x
Tx Gain Adjust : 0x
Pilot Strength (Ec/Io) : 0x
Current Sleep Signal : 0x
PN Offset Array :
HDR Connection : ???

KyRT
12-01-2007, 20:44

Z020 == AnyDATA ADU-E100A(?D) (h**p://www.anydata.com/PRODUCTS/adu100.html OR h**p://www.anydata.com/PRODUCTS/adue100d.html)

Does it work with 500gp? I heard, that it badly works in Linux.

Mektub
13-01-2007, 21:53
Does it work with 500gp? I heard, that it badly works in Linux.

The z010 with the software mentioned above by Int works very well.

And in fact I use Linux. Linux only sees the 500gp, it is unaware of the z010. The 500gp handles the dialing and normally i leave it connected several days on a row.

Mektub

Arlindovsky
27-01-2007, 20:44
last week i brought a asus wl-500g Premium.
I flashed with firmware h**p://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download/163/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-USB-1.63.trx
my usb modem Huawei e200, is recognized but can't establish a connection.
I need help, please!

dimensionone
06-02-2007, 15:26
Hi,

I have the same problem. Firmware from mentioned website is only for ZADACOM modems and will not support HUAWEI modems. I contacted people around the project, if there is a possibility to create firmware, that will support this modem, but had negative answer. They did not have that modem, it is quite expensive to get it. Without having the modem physically at their site, they cannot develop the firmware update.

Now, waiting for some developer, who will have the modem and will modify the firmware by loading appropriate usbserial modules, that will support HUAWEI modem.

ct3fq
09-04-2007, 18:55
Hi,:)
Please uninstall the zadacomm drivers with the rmmod command and execute insmod usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003
Then use pppd and chat to make the connection.

Hope this helps..
Cheers

gianly1985
16-12-2007, 14:27
I can buy the Deluxe version for a few euros, is it customizable like the Premium??? Will I be able to use it with Huawei e220 usb modem at full speed??

thank you

ps: first post :D

pps: I discovered yesterday this fantastic router and I am very happy because I can save a lot of money! In fact, I thought that I would have to buy the super-expensive Linksys WRT54G3G-EU to share a 3g connection!! Instead I found this beautiful router wich cost only 70euros! A lot of people out there DON'T KNOW that you can use a 3g usb modem attached to these cheap routers and they buy the linksys for 170+ euros!! (to use it with a pcmcia 3g modem)

newbiefan
16-12-2007, 18:06
Definitely yes!

But read carefully http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7318&highlight=Huawei+E220&page=2

So it means you have to install 3rd party firmware and follow tutorials.

Edit: Premium is a bit better, faster cpu 266mhz instead of 200 mhz and
8MB flash instead of 4MB. Ram is the same= 32 MB.
Premium costs about 70 Euro.

gianly1985
16-12-2007, 23:41
Thank you.
I knew I would have to use "custom" firmwares and to follow tutorials for both the routers.
Maybe I can get the deluxe for less than 40euros (used), that's why I was wondering whether to buy the deluxe or the premium...the deluxe is half the price....I don't know...maybe I'll get the premium eventually....
Meanwhile I think I should learn a bit of LINUX because most of those tutorials are non-sense to me! :o

Anttu
05-03-2008, 10:41
I have a problem to get Huawei E220 co-operating with WL-500 gP.

I have Oleg's 1.68 in my WL-500gP and I installed the user dial up files for Huawei seemingly OK. The Asus menu says it is using Huwei E222 and the dial settings are the same that work with Zadacom modem.

Anyway, I cannot get connected. When I plug in the modem, I have the system log:

Jan 1 02:01:57 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:03.0-1, assigned address 2
Jan 1 02:01:57 kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-145)
Jan 1 02:01:57 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:03.0-1, assigned address 3
Jan 1 02:01:57 kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-145)
Jan 1 02:02:18 pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'

Any ideas what I could do to make this work? Thanks in advance.

newbiefan
13-03-2008, 19:12
Install fw again resp. use 1.68 and this howto:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwl500g.info%2Fshowpost.ph p%3Fp%3D78789%26postcount%3D1&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

have fun.....

Anttu
14-03-2008, 05:18
One step forward: I updated the firmware of the E220 and now Asus recognizes it - as a CD ROM! :eek:

So I have now a Huawei CD-ROM in my WL-500, and the "dial script failed" in my system log .

newbiefan
14-03-2008, 16:00
Ok, use this one.....http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=88053#post88053
my E220 modem works perfect.

xipbox
18-03-2008, 10:05
hi friends,

I have this problem with a vodafone connect box E220 with the last firmware and all the howto and oleg firmware version

When I plug in the power in Asus Wl 500GP it don't detect usb /dev/usb/tts/0ports of the modem E-220.

Jan 1 02:01:57 kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-145)
Jan 1 02:01:57 kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-145)
Jan 1 02:02:18 pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'

If i reboot the router WL-500GP it already detects de usb tts/0 off E-220 and make the connection to internet

Conclusion :

if i power on the router, it dosen't detect the ports of Hauwei E-220 and don't make the connection to Internet

If i reboot the router without disconnnect the power of it, it will make the connection to the internet

can anyone help me ??

I try everyting

xipbox
18-03-2008, 10:06
hi friends,

I have this problem with a vodafone connect box E220 with the last firmware and all the howto and oleg firmware version

When I plug in the power in Asus Wl 500GP it don't detect usb /dev/usb/tts/0ports of the modem E-220.

If i reboot the router WL-500GP it already detects de usb tts/0 off E-220 and make the connection to internet

Conclusion :

if i power on the router, it dosen't detect the ports of Hauwei E-220 and don't make the connection to Internet

If i reboot the router without disconnnect the power of it, it will make the connection to the internet

can anyone help me ??

I try everyting

newbiefan
18-03-2008, 20:39
Just add to your post-boot a 'sleep 30' at the end (or if optware is installed, before calling rcunslung)
And check out USB vendor/device ID (12d1:1003)

have fun

newbiefan
20-03-2008, 22:14
Add a 'sleep 30' to your post-boot

Anttu
21-03-2008, 08:53
Thanks for your support. I did all again from scratch including post-boot sleep etc. I also flashed the E220 to the newest Vodafone SW.

I still have the same notice in the system log like xipbox, but the difference is that I cannot connect in any combination of reboot, POR etc. I even tried a powered USB hub in between thinking of power problems that E220 is often having.

The Oleg's version is now 168a, should this work as well?

Could some firmware other than Vodafone version work better?

And what is this stuff about "USB device not accepting new address"? Can anybody tell?

Anttu
21-03-2008, 09:31
Oh yes! It works now!

The reason - you may not believe this - was the USB cable! I replaced the Huawei USB lead with one from my USB hub and it works great now.

Very weird indeed. I even got the log writings when connecting to the router, the flashing blue light on Huawei and everything. And the log writing about the "address not accepted" is not appearing anymore.

(I also had problems with the same cable when connecting to PC, and the new one works great there too.)

newbiefan
21-03-2008, 14:59
Glad to hear your system works.

Take the longer cable (usually delivered with your E220) with 2 usb-connectors, maybe it helps......

Anttu
22-03-2008, 08:12
No, actually the *original*, two-headed Huawei cable is the failing one.

One more question, what would be the best solution to see the modem 3G signal level with WL-500?

In Windows I can start a terminal session to E220 and use AT+CSQ command, but how can I use AT commands with Asus? Or is there some other way to monitor the signal level?

newbiefan
22-03-2008, 09:25
No, actually the *original*, two-headed Huawei cable is the failing one.

One more question, what would be the best solution to see the modem 3G signal level with WL-500?

In Windows I can start a terminal session to E220 and use AT+CSQ command, but how can I use AT commands with Asus? Or is there some other way to monitor the signal level?

Well, there are several linux tools under development, so it will take some weeks - but useful stuff is always ported fast to often needed systems.
Hence it's the best to wait a few days/weeks.

As I know from experience, the signal level does'nt tell you anything, because the speed depends much more to the local cell, I've been at places with full signal and very low speed and with low siganl with high speed. Further, you must consider, that there is just one bandwidth - maybe you have to share the bandwidth with others - without any possibility of getting influence.

Dante_
23-03-2008, 01:12
Add a 'sleep 30' to your post-boot

I've got the same problem:

If I power cycle (after power failure, moving to another place, etc) the router I get the folowing error:
pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'

If then I rebbot the router with a software command ('reset' on telnet, or 'Save&Restart' in the web interface) everything works.

It's becoming very anoying to restart the router by software everytime, and if i'm not at home it doesn't self restart after a power failure so that I can access my fileserver at home.

P.S.: I don't have any "USB device not accepting new address" problemes and I've tried to cahnge the cable too and add sleep 30 and even sleep 60 to post-boot and enabled flashfs, but it doesn't make any difference!

newbiefan
23-03-2008, 09:56
1.) use user defined and upload the attached file 'dial.huawei.tar.gz'
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13480
2.) check out vendor=0x12d1 and product=0x1003
3.) if it doesn't help, let me know
(check output of 'lsmod' and post result)
In any case keep a sleep 30 in your post-boot.

Anttu
29-03-2008, 05:57
Here is several points to the earlier thread...

Dante, I have the same behaviour with my WL-500 and Huawei E220: Power down, removing/replugging the modem or such keeps the connection down until a software reboot.

As a solution I made a "WAN watchdog" script that pings a known address, and if there is no response, the router is rebooted. Originally I thought to place this in post-boot, but ended up to make a script into 5-minute cron. Thus it may recover from modem freezing other than router power downs too. There is also a log where you can follow if there has been restarts.

Here is the script:

#!/bin/sh

# WAN watchdog. If WAN interface is down, reboot.

ping_resp=`ping -c 1 yahoo.com`
if [ "$ping_resp" = "" ]; then
echo "Rebooted by WAN watchdog:" >> /opt/etc/cron.5mins/wan-watchdog.log
date >> /opt/etc/cron.5mins/wan-watchdog.log
echo "--------" >> /opt/etc/cron.5mins/wan-watchdog.log
reboot
fi

Newbiefan, I kind of disagree with you about the signal level topic. Of course it may not matter in a good coverage area, but definitely it matters in the the marginal areas. I am importing/selling 3G external antennas (http://poynting.siptune.fi/en) and there is quite a bunch of people definitely believing in signal level. Especially those a little outside the coverage without an antenna.

The third issue was the AT commands from WL-500 to a modem. I discovered a trick to do that, but I think I put it as an instruction to another thread.

Anttu
29-03-2008, 08:00
Has anybody got Option iCON 225 modem working with WL-500gP + Oleg's FW?

I can well use Huawei E220 and ZadaCOM 3G+, but the iCON does not work. The modem does not appear at all to /dev/tts/, so it is not an APN or dial script issue.
The system log shows the modem recognized OK, but the log writing familiar from other modem problems is there: Mar 29 09:52:34 pppd[376]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'. The file /dev/usb/tts/0 is not created at all.

webwolf
30-03-2008, 19:14
Hi all, my boss bought an assus500gp and asked me to try to connect an huawei E220 modem. Followed the great tutorial from "newbiefan" and excelent firmware from Oleg and Engy and..it almost works. The blue modem light is flashing, witch indicates poor signal.Following the tutorial, i make a telnet connection to the assus, enter user and pass but can't go to /tmp/local/sbin/post-boot with vi to add 'wl antidiv 3'. I dont know much of linux but can anyone help how to work with telnet to make this changes???
Thank you and rgs,
José, Portugal

Anttu
30-03-2008, 20:01
Hey José from Portugal,
the "wl antdiv 3" affects to WLAN side, so unfortunately that is not going to help to get you connected to 3G.
If you still want to add that, you do not actually need vi or any other eiditor at all. Just give the command:

echo wl antdiv 3 >> /usr/local/sbin/post-boot and the line is added to the end of the file.
You can check the result with "cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot". Remember to save the setting to flash with command set "flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable" before next reboot or you'll lose it.

To ensure that the connection between Asus and Huawei is OK, check "Status & Log" menu and there "System Log" and its end side lines. You should see something like:

Mar 30 13:50:17 pppd[341]: Serial connection established.
Mar 30 13:50:17 pppd[341]: Using interface ppp0
Mar 30 13:50:17 pppd[341]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0 in there.

If you have
Jan 1 02:02:18 pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0' instead, Huawei is not talking to Asus. Do software reboot and check the System log again. If still not there, check if the cable is OK with your PC. If still not OK, drop the tail of your system log to this forum.
BR, Anttu from Finland :)

webwolf
30-03-2008, 22:29
Hi anttu from Finland,
first of all many tks to the reply to this newbie in Linux :-)
i did all you said. In the System log, i have this:
Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Serial connection established.
Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Using interface ppp0
Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0
Jan 1 00:02:34 pppd[214]: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Jan 1 00:02:40 pppd[214]: Connection terminated.
Jan 1 00:02:41 pppd[214]: Exit.
and in Telnet:
asus login: admin
Password:
[admin@asus root]$ echo wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
[admin@asus root]$ cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot
-sh: cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
[admin@asus root]$ "cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot"
-sh: cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
[admin@asus root]$
What a mess, i'm really confused, is it possible any more helps???
With Oleg firmware, it recognises the modem and also have the blue light flashing but she should kept fix, not flashing to have good signal.
Many tks to all,rgds,
José-Portugal

newbiefan
31-03-2008, 00:39
Hi anttu from Finland,
first of all many tks to the reply to this newbie in Linux :-)
i did all you said. In the System log, i have this:
Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Serial connection established.
Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Using interface ppp0
Jan 1 00:02:01 pppd[214]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0
Jan 1 00:02:34 pppd[214]: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Jan 1 00:02:40 pppd[214]: Connection terminated.
Jan 1 00:02:41 pppd[214]: Exit.
and in Telnet:
asus login: admin
Password:
[admin@asus root]$ echo wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
wl antdiv 3 » /usr/local/sbin/post-bootand
[admin@asus root]$ cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot
-sh: cat/usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
[admin@asus root]$ "cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot"
-sh: cat /usr/local/sbin/post-boot: not found
[admin@asus root]$
What a mess, i'm really confused, is it possible any more helps???
With Oleg firmware, it recognises the modem and also have the blue light flashing but she should kept fix, not flashing to have good signal.
Many tks to all,rgds,
José-Portugal

Don't worry!
Do it step by step.
Open a console on your router (telnet, att. space before and after >>)

echo "wl antdiv 3" >> /tmp/local/sbin/post-boot

then (attention there is a space after cat!!!)

cat /tmp.local/sbin/post-boot

If you see the following (something like this, you are fine):

#!bin/sh
wl antdiv 3

Now store your post-boot with:

flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot

wait until reboot is finished - when your Modem is flashing green or blue, everything should be ok.

Open again a console - if your modem does not connect, do a

killall pppd

and wait a minute.
If your modem does not connect (and blue light is solid on), then connect it with your notebook (mobile connect) and search for the best place. Sometimes the signal is very low (dependent to distance aso), hence your modem can't connect.

Tomorrow, I'll post a script which connects without reboot and with the use of different web-addresses for connection-checking.

newbiefan
01-04-2008, 10:59
As a solution I made a "WAN watchdog" script that pings a known address, and if there is no response, the router is rebooted.

Good job, therefore I've stolen your script :eek: and implemented some adjustments.
Now you can get a new connection without rebooting, or without loosing your wireless connection to your router. :)
http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=91200&postcount=4

Newbiefan, I kind of disagree with you about the signal level topic. Of course it may not matter in a good coverage area, but definitely it matters in the the marginal areas. I am importing/selling 3G external antennas (http://poynting.siptune.fi/en) and there is quite a bunch of people definitely believing in signal level. Especially those a little outside the coverage without an antenna.

Well, nothing to say against a good antenna - I use at my systers alpine cabine an old sat-dish with my Huawei E220 as feeder to get a stable connection and I agree, the signal is sginificantly (unbelieveable) improved. The only thing is that many people do not know anything about cell to cell-connections and for instance, that most of the cells can provide just approx. 2mbit maximum, hence when 10 people using the same cell, the bandwidth is extremly limited - and what I meant - this has nothing to do with a signal level, because it can well be, that you get an excellent signal but a very low speed. :o

The third issue was the AT commands from WL-500 to a modem. I discovered a trick to do that, but I think I put it as an instruction to another thread.

Well, it would be good to know all AT-commands which are supported by a huawei modem. Anyhow, I'll do a search for this - if we would find a solution to get signal strength aso, we can write script......or implement it in webif.
If you find a list, please post it.

Anttu
01-04-2008, 11:58
Excellent!

But no cigar yet , since there is one but.. :rolleyes:

Every now and then (read: often) when E220 goes to the "Jan 1 02:02:18 pppd[207]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'- state", pppd disappears and cannot be killed. It is not shown with ps and killall says: no process killed.

We would need to check somehow if the pppd can be killed or not, and if that is not possible then go to stronger action like reboot. E.g. greping the killall response could be the switch.

newbiefan
01-04-2008, 13:46
We would need to check somehow if the pppd can be killed or not, and if that is not possible then go to stronger action like reboot. E.g. greping the killall response could be the switch.

Kiillall or rebooting dependent to running pppd is included in the new watch_wan - have done it on the fly - anyway thx for suggestion.
Have not tested yet, will do it in the late afternoon......

But what I've done so far:
Covered several times my modem with my hand until connection is lost -
within some seconds, connection is back again.
What remains:
unplug usb cable and check what happens with the new script

Edit: A check shows, when starting watch_wan in postboot with '/tmp/local/sbin/watch_wan &'
the script detects a not running pppd and is calling for reboot.
A sleep 60 right before 'while [true ]' solves this, because the modem is up and pppd is running within the 2 minutes.
Further, this happens just first time of calling script as it's outside of the endless loop - therefore it has no negative influence.

Anttu
01-04-2008, 15:06
Now cigar. :)

lock76pt
13-10-2008, 15:15
Hi.
I have a Wl-500gp + Huawei E220.
The E220 works fine on my pc, i have configured the connection with the APN, user, pass, all ok, and the authentication method is PAP not CHAP.
When i try to use it connected to Wl-500gp it doens't connect. I believe it is because of the authentication method.
I've tried with other Network and a E220 with CHAP auth and it works fine.
How can i change it?

m.klinge
04-11-2008, 22:28
Hiya :)

I was wondering if anybody has gotten the new huawei E180 umts modem to work with the Asus WL-500g Premium? If anybody know how to set up the hardware to work properly please guide me to the correct setup and I will be forever greatfull :)

//M

m.klinge
06-11-2008, 10:32
Nobody has any clue how to set up the WL-500 to work with a E180 broadband modem?

//M

m.klinge
19-11-2008, 13:47
Oh well i gave this How-To (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13480) and ti works quite well :)

//M

marchino83
20-03-2009, 17:59
I'm getting a e180 on ebay. I'm gonna test it on my wl500 deluxe. I'll report back in the forum.

Regards

marchino83
20-03-2009, 18:30
Btw... It should work http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63300
I hope...

darius
20-03-2009, 20:02
Oh well i gave this How-To (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13480) and ti works quite well :)

//M

Hi,

can you send at commands, USSD commands like balance check, recharge ?

Darius

Paulo
30-05-2009, 03:30
Hi

I have a Vodafone Huawei E220 and a router WL500GPV2 with Koppel 1.71 and i have configured it for vodafone in Portugal with Dial number *99# and APN: internet.vodafone.pt and selected E220 modem, after reboot start working just fine with internet at good speed.

Now i wanted to do the same with TMN E220 modem or KANGURU E220 modem, but i replaced in TMN the APN to "internet" and in Kanguru to "kangurufixo" just like they use when connected directlly to pc and none works, after restart the router they blink green and than blue but if i try to acess the router at 192.168.1.1 the message disconnected appears at RED Colour on the screen.

If i connect Vodafone it connects sucessfully allways at 1st try.
Does anyone has TMN or Kanguru working that can help me?

Best regards

Pauo:)

marcomangiante
27-06-2009, 19:22
Hello to everyone,

I have the asus wl-500gp v2 and connected an huawei e220 modem with inside an h3g card. Until now, I have a connection plan with data consumed and so when I want to disconnect I simply power off the router or go to webif and click on disconnet.
Now I changed my plan with one that charge time and not data and noticed that simply power off the router doesn't terminate the connection: infact on my carrier connection log, it seems that when I disconnet with ower off they add 1 hour to my connection, while if I click on disconnect button in webif there is no presence in the log of this adde hour.
What I ask you is if there is a possibility to disconnet it in windows without open the webif: I ask this because when my father uses the connection it is not so accustomed to do the disconnect procedure (even if it is very simple).
What I thought is that maybe it is possible to create a batch file that connect to the router, enter username and password, go to the "Usb connection (user) menù, then on "User Dial-up config" and then disconnect: is it possible? Where I can start to do this?

Hope someone can help me.

--
Regards,

Marco Mangiante

marcomangiante
29-06-2009, 11:38
Hello,

I think I find a solution. I copied entirely from internet a vbs script that do the work. I simply created with notepad the file "telnet.vbs" and filled in with this code:

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "cmd"
WScript.Sleep 100
WshShell.AppActivate "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe"
WScript.Sleep 100
WshShell.SendKeys "telnet 192.168.1.1~"
WScript.Sleep 2000
WshShell.SendKeys "admin~" 'your admin username
WScript.Sleep 3000
WshShell.SendKeys "pwd~" 'your admin password
WScript.Sleep 1000
WshShell.SendKeys "killall dial~" 'command
WScript.Sleep 2000
WshShell.SendKeys "killall pppd~" 'command
WScript.Sleep 2000
WshShell.SendKeys "exit~" 'close telnet
WScript.Sleep 200
WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}" 'prompt command line
WshShell.SendKeys "exit~" 'close command line

The only trick is that you must execute it as "Microsoft Windows Based Script Host", so you have to click on the file with the right mouse button, then choose "Open with"->"Microsoft Windows Based Script Host"; you can also set that the vbs file is always opened with that.
Hope this simple script can help other people.

--
Regards,

Marco Mangiante

luisfmoreira
20-08-2009, 19:43
Hi Guys,

I've installed Oleg frmwr on my router to share my 3g connection, but it detects the modem has a cd Rom (When I insert the modem on a cumputer it installs a cd-rom\mass storage device with the drivers).

Jan 1 00:01:28 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:03.0-1.1, assigned address 3
Jan 1 00:01:28 kernel: Manufacturer: HUAWEI Technology
Jan 1 00:01:28 kernel: Product: HUAWEI Mobile
Jan 1 00:01:28 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Jan 1 00:01:28 kernel: Vendor: HUAWEI Model: Mass Storage Rev: 2.31
Jan 1 00:01:49 pppd[268]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'
Jan 1 00:02:20 pppd[304]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'
Jan 1 00:02:51 pppd[342]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'
Jan 1 00:02:55 kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver usb-storage
Jan 1 00:02:55 kernel: scsi : 0 hosts left

after configuring everything i get this error:

Jan 1 00:03:22 pppd[408]: In file /tmp/ppp/peers/gprs: unrecognized option '/dev/usb/tts/0'

Is there anything I can do?

luisfmoreira
21-08-2009, 10:51
Anyone can give me a hint?

lly
21-08-2009, 11:17
Google has hints, as usual. You have exactly same problem, as all Linux users with such modems.

My hint: usb_modeswitch

luisfmoreira
21-08-2009, 23:48
Hi, thanx for the help, I've been messing with usb_modeswitch but no success yet!

where can I find the original and target Product and Vendor? THe modem has a ton of devices (2 USB mass storage and three modems I think)

Thankx in advance for the help

luisfmoreira
05-09-2009, 18:02
Hi guys, I've managed to flip my modem I think but I don't know what to do next!

I've got this from lsusb:

P: Vendor=12d1 ProdID=1001 Rev= 0.00
S: Manufacturer=HUAWEI Technology
S: Product=HUAWEI Mobile
C:* #Ifs= 5 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 64 Ivl=5ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=85(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=86(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1

And I configured the connection in the router has an GPRS/EDGE/UMTS config, but when I press connect I get this error:

Jan 1 00:14:16 pppd[1261]: no device specified and stdin is not a tty

What should I do next???

Thankx

luisfmoreira
08-09-2009, 10:16
Anyone? Please?

tdani
08-09-2009, 15:15
hi have you solved? i have a vodafone e180v and a asus wl500gp v2 . which firmware? how to? could you send me your??
thnaks

luisfmoreira
09-09-2009, 00:14
Hi, I haven't managed to make it work yet ... that's how far I've gotten. Maybe we can help each other.

What I think I've managed to do is to flip the modem ... but I never made it connect. Are you Portuguese by the way?

tdani
09-09-2009, 10:11
i'm italian.
My problem is that i can't also install the firmware inside..... how to put in recovery mode? how to install the firmware?
i have heard to install kopper firmware and the latest should be WL500gp-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx . isn't it?

than what to do?
thanks

tdani
09-09-2009, 10:15
Hi, please how to install your firmware into router? any guide for mac or windows? with some guides on internet i can't do it.
how have you done? how to put in recovery mod?

can i use with this firmware also the huaewi e180?

thanks

tdani
09-09-2009, 22:00
i have an asus wl500gp v2 with a huawei e180. i can't configure to connect to internet . i use koppel. please help me....
i am a nebbie

thanks

ecser99
04-10-2009, 18:45
I have followed this guide: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13480 and installed the frimware WL500gx-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx.
I have an USB GPRS modem, Huawei E1750, but this is not selectable in the USB GPRS settings of this firmware. I have tried to select all the Huawei modems but the connection does not work.:confused:
Is there a firmware, which supports this modem?
Is there a specific setting of the firmware I am using, whisch makes the connection work?

Thanks You

Kalixo
05-10-2009, 13:42
Hello!

I have WL500g Premium (WL500gpv2, firmware: 1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71) and Huawei E 156G modem.

Is it possible to run this modem? I tried many times in many ways but It doesn't work. :mad::mad::mad:

Thank you all in advance for help. Regards from Poland.

BLU BUGATTI
09-10-2009, 11:57
Yes you can.

I have a WL500gP V2 with the last firm Koppel 1.71 and modem Huawei E156G

I set in the configuration web interface the model E169

It works perfectly even if it is not the same model
Have the same VendorID and ModemID

Kalixo
09-10-2009, 12:16
:))))))

Great to hear that!
Thank you very much for replay and solution.

I'll try it in the evening - I'll hope that I didn't change all other options :confused:

Would you be so kind and write me down all necessary options to run this modem?

Best Regards,
Kalixo

BLU BUGATTI
10-10-2009, 22:00
Excuse me if I am wrong in previous post.

The modem that I set in the router is e220.

Here you find the pictures of how I set the router.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4442/50597735.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/i/50597735.jpg/) http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3055/69913771.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/i/69913771.jpg/)

Best Regards

Kalixo
26-10-2009, 22:29
Thaks for screenshots :)

Unfortunatly, it didn;t helped... but i found that somenthing's wrong with my soft, becasue my asus also can't recognise any usb device (FAT).
I'll try tu update firmware and try again. Hope it'll work :confused:

Thanks again.

maucem
27-10-2009, 16:55
Hi,

I have a Dir-320 and I have successfully installed the latest oleg firmware.

I want use a 3g modem (Huawei E1692) as Wan connection.

I try to flash my router with the latest koppel firmware, but after the flashing procedure and 5 minutes, the router seemed dead.

Is possible use koppel with it?

ecser99
09-12-2009, 22:45
I have followed this guide: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13480 and installed the frimware WL500gx-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx.
I have an USB GPRS modem, Huawei E1750, but this is not selectable in the USB GPRS settings of this firmware. I have tried to select all the Huawei modems but the connection does not work.:confused:
Is there a firmware, which supports this modem?
Is there a specific setting of the firmware I am using, whisch makes the connection work?

Thanks You

I am still waiting, is there a new firmware? Any solution?
Thanx

Kalixo
05-02-2010, 11:56
Thanks again. It worked. I had wrong firmware type (gp2 not gp) :)

Wicke
11-02-2010, 16:22
At the moment I have a Asus WL500g.Premium router (1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.70a
) and a Huawei E220 and it works fine.
Now I want to change the Huawei E220 to a Huawei E1750.

But it´s not working to change the dongles.

Is there some settings that need to be changed in some way?

//Wicke

DaSnake
11-02-2010, 21:25
At the moment I have a Asus WL500g.Premium router (1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.70a
) and a Huawei E220 and it works fine.
Now I want to change the Huawei E220 to a Huawei E1750.

But it´s not working to change the dongles.

Is there some settings that need to be changed in some way?

//Wicke

Hi,

You should use the following setting in usb_modeswitch.conf

################################################## ######
# Huawei E1550
# Huawei E1750
#
# Contributor: Anders Blomdell, Ahmed Soliman

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct= 0x1446

TargetVendor= 0x12d1
TargetProduct= 0x1001

# only for reference and 0.x versions
MessageEndpoint=0x01

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000011060000000000000000 000000000000"

more info here:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

bye

Wicke
12-02-2010, 17:59
Hello again

I understand I have to go to
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_GPRS_Content.asp

and under
Zero CD Configuration -> Modem type:
and then choose User config at /usr/local/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf in the menu.
But some way I have to "upload" och change usb_modeswitch.conf, how do I do that?

//Wicke

Hi,

You should use the following setting in usb_modeswitch.conf

################################################## ######
# Huawei E1550
# Huawei E1750
#
# Contributor: Anders Blomdell, Ahmed Soliman

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct= 0x1446

TargetVendor= 0x12d1
TargetProduct= 0x1001

# only for reference and 0.x versions
MessageEndpoint=0x01

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000011060000000000000000 000000000000"

more info here:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

bye

P Still
16-02-2010, 01:07
WL-500gP, Huawei e180 (using a USB-hub) and WL500gp-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx.

Modem disconnecting now and then ( but modem light saying it's OK ). Then need to do a manuell disconnect and connect or wait 5 min for the router to detect and do an automatic reconnect.
Any solution for this ?

An idea:
A cronjob that everey 15-30 s. check if anyone is connected via LAN or VLAN.
If so check if modem is connected ( ping DNS-server ?).
If not connected, do a reconnect.

I don't mind if modem is not connected when no one is connected to/using router, but otherwise I want modem to have an OK connection. Could also be a solution that disconnect modem when no one is connected to router

Since I'm asking these question you understand that my knowledge with Linux, scripting and so on for wl-500gp is not that good ( otherwise I wouldn't ask) so any solutions must be a bit exact and with good instructions (and I don't mind if it's easy).

Thanks in advance.

Copter
17-02-2010, 13:02
Have you tried the Backup-Connection Tab?

You have to enter two IPs into the webif, and klick your modem as primary and backup.

tjsquire
24-02-2010, 04:42
Hi all.
I have been using Oleg's 'latest' firmware for the WL500gPv2 (WL500gpV2-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx) with a Huawei E1762 USB modem (and USB printers, HDD). I have been happy EXCEPT that the router consistently 'loses' the modem - several times every day.

A power cycle is the only way to fix the problem - temporarily.
The modem light stays on indicating there is still a wireless broadband connection maintained - and there is no problem when connecting modem directly to a computer. I have upgraded the antenna pregressively - now a yagi - so GPRS reception is not the problem.

I tried a recent non-oleg firmware upgrade (WL500gpv2-1.9.2.7-d-r1222.trx) but found it had no USB modem (GPRS) functionality.
I found this was the case initially with the first oleg firmware I loaded (WL500gpv2-1.9.2.7-10.trx). Then I loaded this one (WL500gpV2-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx) which has USB GPRS functionality.
So I reloaded the latest oleg one (same as before) - still have the same 'dropout' problems.

I have the Zero CD Configuration setting for the modem type set to "Not set" as my model E1762 is not in the list. I have tried setting it to E169 - no improvement in stability.

Does anyone have a better/updated firmware which includes USB GPRS modem functionality? Or can you help with how to set up the user config option in the modem type setting in Zero CD Configuration? I need your help :-)

Tim

rghelase2001
25-02-2010, 13:01
Hello,

I have the same issues (random disconnects of a Huawei E270 connected to a WL500GP). Can anyone tell me what shall I do in order to find the source of all those disconnects?

Here are some extracts from the logs (the disconnect looks the same everytime in the logs) (*I erased the real IP's):
Feb 25 03:18:01 pppd[431]: No response to 5 echo-requests
Feb 25 03:18:01 pppd[431]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Feb 25 03:18:01 USB Connection: Disconnected
Feb 25 03:18:07 pppd[431]: Connection terminated.
Feb 25 03:18:07 pppd[431]: Connect time 64.1 minutes.
Feb 25 03:18:07 pppd[431]: Sent 160696021 bytes, received 1662116828 bytes.
Feb 25 03:43:51 pppd[431]: Connect time 64.1 minutes.
Feb 25 03:43:51 pppd[431]: Sent 160696021 bytes, received 1662116828 bytes.
Feb 25 03:43:51 pppd[431]: Exit.
Feb 25 03:44:22 pppd[488]: pppd 2.4.2 started by admin, uid 0
Feb 25 03:44:24 pppd[488]: Serial connection established.
Feb 25 03:44:24 pppd[488]: Using interface ppp0
Feb 25 03:44:24 pppd[488]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0
Feb 25 03:44:28 pppd[488]: Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
Feb 25 03:44:28 pppd[488]: local IP address <<modified_IP>>
Feb 25 03:44:28 pppd[488]: remote IP address 10.64.64.64
Feb 25 03:44:28 pppd[488]: primary DNS address <<modified_IP>>
Feb 25 03:44:28 pppd[488]: secondary DNS address <<modified_IP>>
Feb 25 03:44:31 USB Connection: connected to ISP

Please tell me if this is odd or not:
[admin@ASUS root]$ cat /tmp/syslog.log | grep "Connect ti"
Feb 25 03:18:07 pppd[431]: Connect time 64.1 minutes.
Feb 25 03:43:51 pppd[431]: Connect time 64.1 minutes.
Feb 25 04:26:35 pppd[488]: Connect time 42.1 minutes.
Feb 25 06:02:44 pppd[488]: Connect time 42.1 minutes.
Feb 25 07:05:24 pppd[549]: Connect time 62.1 minutes.
Feb 25 07:52:33 pppd[549]: Connect time 62.1 minutes.
Feb 25 08:46:14 pppd[608]: Connect time 53.1 minutes.
Feb 25 09:07:10 pppd[608]: Connect time 53.1 minutes.
Feb 25 09:21:50 pppd[683]: Connect time 14.1 minutes.
Feb 25 09:33:03 pppd[683]: Connect time 14.1 minutes.
Feb 25 09:47:44 pppd[749]: Connect time 14.1 minutes.
Feb 25 10:01:18 pppd[749]: Connect time 14.1 minutes.

It takes couple of minutes until the connection is restarted. During this time, the led indicating a pdp context is lighting, indicating a pdp context..

Thank you!

tjsquire
26-02-2010, 13:53
Hi.

Can anyone help me set my WL500gPv2 Zero CD configuration for the Huawei E1762 modem? I am using latest (as far as I can tell) Koppel firmware (WL500gpV2-1.9.2.7-10-USB-1.71.trx).

I currently have the modem type as "Not Set" as mine is not on the list. Will using the user config function help the router keep in contact with the modem? Currently it 'loses' the modem often, requiring a power cycle to reboot, re-connect.

Can you please help?

Tim

ecser99
26-02-2010, 19:04
I have the same problem. How shall I upload the /usr/local/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf file into the router? I tried with tftp but it did not work (timeout error).
Could you give a step by step instruction?

Hello again

I understand I have to go to
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_GPRS_Content.asp

and under
Zero CD Configuration -> Modem type:
and then choose User config at /usr/local/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf in the menu.
But some way I have to "upload" och change usb_modeswitch.conf, how do I do that?

//Wicke

P Still
28-02-2010, 03:11
Have you tried the Backup-Connection Tab?

You have to enter two IPs into the webif, and klick your modem as primary and backup.

When doing that, router say modem is connected, but I don't have any IP-adresses or access to internet.

Router/modem just going "in cirkels" and switching between the two (modem) connections with "connecting" a.s.f.

tjsquire
28-02-2010, 12:47
Hey - that sounds very much like my own experience with a WL500gPv2 and Huawei e1762 - the router just loses contact with the modem (which still appears to be connected - but there is no internet connectivity, LAN or wireless).

I have not been able to get a reply so far to my posts - hopefully we will hear soon from someone with a solution.

I wonder whether this is the answer:
http://sakis.tel4u.gr/blog/sakis3g/#fastinstall
but I don't have enough (any) programming knowledge to implement it! Perhaps you do - and can help me as well?

Tim

P Still
01-03-2010, 22:13
That is for different full implementations of Linux.
The routers just have a special limited version, so it is not possible to work.

rghelase2001
02-03-2010, 12:44
Problem fixed for me! :)

It is a problem with the Linux drivers for the specific modem model (Huawei E270). A got a trace from the Operator, and I had normal release connection.

I implemented in crontab a ping, at every 2 minutes, and now I am in the 5'th day without disconnection.

Good luck!

P Still
02-03-2010, 19:35
As I wrote in first post:

An idea:
A cronjob that everey 15-30 s. check if anyone is connected via LAN or VLAN.
If so check if modem is connected ( ping DNS-server ?).
If not connected, do a reconnect.

I don't mind if modem is not connected when no one is connected to/using router, but otherwise I want modem to have an OK connection. Could also be a solution that disconnect modem when no one is connected to router

Since I'm asking these question you understand that my knowledge with Linux, scripting and so on for wl-500gp is not that good ( otherwise I wouldn't ask) so any solutions must be a bit exact and with good instructions (and I don't mind if it's easy).

So, do you have an instruction for this or your cronjob (as I'm not that good with Linux)?
If it really works and make all disconnects disappear.

Denoud
02-03-2010, 22:12
Hi.

Got a WL-500gP with a Huawei E200 USB modem that has worked perfectly for years...

But today something happened when I moved the router in my house, and I can't figure out what...

System Log says nothing special (from what I can tell).

"Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/usb/tts/0" is there and
"USB Connection: connected to ISP"

* Wlan works, I can go to the admin web. I can telnet to the router and talk to other computers on the same wlan.

* When I telnet to the router I can (from there) ping IP numbers on internet, telnet to - for example - port 80 on google.com and get a response.

* DNS lookup works. If I - for example - ping www.123.com (never been there I'm sure) I get an IP address to send packets to but no response...

Well.. what doesn't work is connections from the wlan to internet.

If I browse to google.com it shows a "tcp SYN_SENT" in the NAT table (in Status & Log on the router) but never "tcp ESTABLISHED". And I never get a response at all.

The problem is in the router because it's the same symptoms on all computers in the wlan. The E220 works okay (I'm posting this "through it" plugged directly into a computer)

Suggestions anyone? Please? ;-)

rghelase2001
02-03-2010, 23:54
1. Implement cron package from this tutorial:
http://www.macsat.com/cron.php

2. Modify the following files:

/opt/etc/crontab

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/usr/bin:/opt/usr/sbin:/opt/etc
MAILTO=""
HOME=/
# ---------- ---------- Default is Empty ---------- ---------- #
# Syntax for lines is : minute hour day month dayofweek command #
*/1 * * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.1min
*/5 * * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.5mins
01 * * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.monthly

NOTE : instead of "admin" use your administrator account name!

/opt/bin/run-parts

#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "$1" ]
then
echo "Usage : $0 "
fi

RUNDIR=$1"/*"

for i in $RUNDIR ;do

# Ignore dangling symlinks (if any).
[ ! -f "$i" ] && continue

case "$i" in
*.sh)
# Source shell script for speed.
(
trap - INT QUIT TSTP
set start
. $i
)
;;
*)
# No sh extension, so fork subprocess.
$i start
;;
esac
done

3. mkdir /opt/etc/cron.1min

4. create /opt/etc/cron.1min/ping.sh

echo " " >> /tmp/pingtest.log
echo "*********************************************" >> /tmp/pingtest.log
date >> /tmp/pingtest.log
ping -c 3 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx >> /tmp/pingtest.log
echo "*********************************************" >> /tmp/pingtest.log
echo " " >> /tmp/pingtest.log

NOTE: -c 3 is the numer of pings
NOTE: instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx put an IP address reacheble from your router, to be used for testing (try to put the default gateway for the connection, or the DNS server)

5. create /tmp/pingtest.log

6. append the /usr/local/.files by adding the folling line:
/tmp/pingtest.log
NOTE: in case of a restart, the content of the file is stored on the disk/stick

RESULT: every minute, 3 ICMP packages (ping) will be sent to the IP address, resulting in a keep-alive for the connection.

Good luck!

Denoud
03-03-2010, 22:36
For some reason (maybe when I shut off the power) the
"Backup Connection" / "Connection Possibility" was set to "GPRS/EDGE/UMTS".

Changed it to "WAN" and that solved my problem.

/D.

avberk
04-03-2010, 19:48
Write it down for the next time :)

rghelase2001
09-03-2010, 08:21
Feedback???

P Still
13-03-2010, 03:11
Sorry about no respons,
but the router is at my sisters place and she feels like not beeing able to do the changes in router.
But she is also a bit wondering if it will solve the problem cause the router/modem disconnects sometimes even during filetransfers.

But I will come back as soon as I have visited her and hopefully made necessary programming..

Angel EYES
28-06-2010, 15:12
Has anyone found a solution for sucessfully connecting E1750 to ASUS 500gP ?
Thanks.

Angel EYES
05-07-2010, 14:28
Has anyone succeeded conecting the E1750 to ASUS 500gP ?

If YES, please describe how you did it.

Huawei has it's own router, but I'd rather not buy another one.

J0HNNY_B
28-09-2010, 15:08
Hello!

Sorry for disturbing you here, but I need help and only you can help me!

I have a Asus Wl-500 GPv2 and I want to use a modem ZTE MF662 for internet connection.
I put this firmware on it : http://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download/171

Can you help me or provide other viable solutions (new firmware or/and new settings)?

Thank you and I am looking forward to your answers

maurer
01-10-2010, 21:22
upgrade to latest version here ftp://core.dumped.ru/wl/
and will work

J0HNNY_B
13-10-2010, 08:33
upgrade to latest version here ftp://core.dumped.ru/wl/
and will work

Hello,

Can you help me with settings for a 3G connection. I put this firmware, but modem was so like an storage.

yaqwsx
19-02-2011, 08:49
How can I reconnect CDMA or any actual USB internet connection via shell (telnet)?

Thanks for answering me.

Rymdis
02-08-2012, 15:38
Hi all!

Im very new to this so maybe this will sound a bit stupid, i dont know. But I really cant get my E398 to work. It shows up under USB devices, but NOT under USB devfs devices. I have typed in the PIN and the APN, but i just cant connect. Has anybody got this device to work?

MANY thanks in advance!!

/R

Transalpler
05-10-2012, 15:32
Are there any attemps to support NDIS implementation for "Fast" Sticks (Huawei E398, E372,..) DC-HSPA. Something like i found here (http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?p=5739#5739)

I will soon replace my E230 Stick to an E372 and read around that there will be a speed limitation due to serial connection using to much CPU load.

[Edit]
Hmm someone has moved this - I am runnnig "Enthusist" Firmware - so i posted this in the Enthusiast Thread...

@Rymdis: Try another port (usbtts3 or 4) - then it should work - but beware aou will become limited to about 20 mbit/s because of lack of CPU Power of your router - Oleg and Enthusiast run the stick over serial connection. That will use more CPU Power than the NDIS connection you get when sticking it to a MS machine.

Transalpler
08-10-2012, 10:11
Are there any attemps to support NDIS implementation for "Fast" Sticks (Huawei E398, E372,..) DC-HSPA. Something like i found here

I will soon replace my E230 Stick to an E372 and read around that there will be a speed limitation due to serial connection using to much CPU load.

Piaf
03-06-2013, 20:01
I have a Telemodem Z010. Could someone help me using it, somehow?

rss
04-06-2013, 07:38
I have a Telemodem Z010. Could someone help me using it, somehow?

https://code.google.com/p/wl500g/downloads/list
https://code.google.com/p/wl500g/wiki/GUIUSBNetworkDevices3GCDMA

Jens White
26-12-2013, 07:19
Hi,
have tried restore your e398 to factory settings? somtimes it could work. my modem bought from Twayf.com, it works fine.