PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : XS4ALL/MXstream Speedtouch HowTo???

chagemans
12-07-2004, 23:09
Who has the combination of the Asus WL-500 a Alcatel Speedtouch Home on a ASDL connection from XS4ALL / MXstream working?

I tried a lot of things.

PPtP connection. username/password filled in. IP adres 10.0.0.150 Default gateway 10.0.0.138 (The modem).

According to the log connection is ok.

But non of the connected PC's can browse the internet.

Please help. Can someone show me his setup?

Conrad Hagemans

bramfm
12-07-2004, 23:19
Who has the combination of the Asus WL-500 a Alcatel Speedtouch Home on a ASDL connection from XS4ALL / MXstream working?

I tried a lot of things.

PPtP connection. username/password filled in. IP adres 10.0.0.150 Default gateway 10.0.0.138 (The modem).

According to the log connection is ok.

But non of the connected PC's can browse the internet.

Please help. Can someone show me his setup?

Conrad Hagemans

Looking at the addresses you are using, your modem already takes care of the PPTP connection and contains a DHCP server for local class A addresses. You should fill in your ADSL credentials on the modem configuation screen(s) (10.0.0.138).
The WL500g should either be set-up with a static connection, IP address chosen by you in the same subnet as your modem (e.g. 10.0.0.151). Or the wl500g should be set-up as dynamic, where the modem gets its IP address from the DHCP server located in the modem. In both cases it is not needed to fill in your ADSL user name and password into the wl500g.

chagemans
12-07-2004, 23:31
In the modem setup you cannot enter credentials.

When you connect it directly to your pc you have to build a vpn connection with username and password.

I think it's more a routing problem. Maybe it has to do with the firewall.

Network between modem and wk-500 is 10.0.0.x/255.255.255.0
Internal network is 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0

After the pptp connection the wl-500 gets the dns from the provider (xs4all).

Thanks Conrad

bramfm
13-07-2004, 06:35
In the modem setup you cannot enter credentials.

When you connect it directly to your pc you have to build a vpn connection with username and password.

I think it's more a routing problem. Maybe it has to do with the firewall.

Network between modem and wk-500 is 10.0.0.x/255.255.255.0
Internal network is 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0

After the pptp connection the wl-500 gets the dns from the provider (xs4all).

Thanks Conrad

IMHO you do not get 10.0.0.150 as IP address from your provider, this is a local class A address, so the modem must have an NAT.
What kind of speedtouch modem are you using? Simply because there are different models of this device. We are using a speedtouch 500 series with build-in DHCP server in combination with Planet internet. The following chain is build up:

ISP<==>modem(86.xx.xx.xx)NAT(10.0.0.138)(DHCP)<==>WL500g(10.0.0.150)NAT(192.168.1.1)(DHCP)<==> clients.
The software that came with the modem did not install anything on the PC, it configured the modem with the credentials we entered.

Just set your WL500g as dynamic, do you get an IP address (10.0.0.xxx) from the modem? (see status page). If yes you can browse to http://10.0.0.138. I think the modem is still set up correctly and you have a internet connection right away.

chagemans
13-07-2004, 08:55
It's an old Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem from 2002 on an ISDN/ASDL line.
See picture.
It has an buildin webserver for the settings. Like PPP, DHCP etc. But you cannot enter your username/password to build up the connection. That has to be done via the PC or Router.

You are right the 10.0.0.150 is internal address between modem and router. I think it doesn't mather if the router gets it by dhcp or fill it in hard coded.

Conrad

bramfm
13-07-2004, 10:37
It's an old Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem from 2002 on an ISDN/ASDL line.
See picture.
It has an buildin webserver for the settings. Like PPP, DHCP etc. But you cannot enter your username/password to build up the connection. That has to be done via the PC or Router.

You are right the 10.0.0.150 is internal address between modem and router. I think it doesn't mather if the router gets it by dhcp or fill it in hard coded.

Conrad

OK this is a different modem, with the modem we are using it is possible to enter username and password. BTW it IS a Alcatel Speedtouch 510, although the picture says Thomson.

chagemans
13-07-2004, 10:53
Thanks, Yes your modem is much newer.

I know I can krack / patch mine to a Pro model with a new firmware. Than it acts like yours.

Then I can use the wl-500 as standard switch and wireless accesspoint.

A bit overkill to use the wl-500 for that. But for now I see no other way.

Conrad

sodb
14-07-2004, 20:52
When using pptp a new virtual interface is opened in the router which will be used as default gateway for the IP packets from the NAT-ed (LAN) side of the router. The definition of the default gw in the IP setup is not necesaary because router WAN and modem address are within the same subnet. Possible the pptp def gw is overriden by the ip setup dwf gw. Try leaving def gw blank.
Maybe someone can give some assistance in how to generate a log of the pptp setup? Or an ifconfig -a would be helpfull to start debugging. The pptp interface should get the public IP address as specified by the ADSL provider.
Good luck!

On the other hand 'hacking' the STH is not difficult and is a good option when the above fails.

chagemans
15-07-2004, 21:11
:)

I finaly got is working. I think it's a bug in the DHCP server of the WL500.

If you setup a PPTP connection the WL500 automaticly receives the DNS addresses of the provider. But for a reason the DHCP server is not aware of them. Or the WL500 will not act as an DNS server for the local network.

If you manualy fill in the DNS adres (only one possible) in the DHCP settings it works. This means that the client PC's will use the providers DNS directly.

It's working now for me. Some questions remain. Why can you only fil in one DNS address in the DHCP settings window? The second one is default to Wl500 IP address and cannot be overwritten.

Why can the WL500 noy act as an DNS server? So he can resolve local addresses?

Anyway thank you all for you help and reply.

Conrad Hagemans

Miki
17-07-2004, 01:32
I have a working experimental config using XS4ALL ADSL with an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 modem/router using the stock DHCP spoofing profile from Alcatel/Thomson (with an optional minor modification) and the latest firmware by Oleg (1.7.5.9-2), using a small tweak.

Compared to a PPTP connection, DHCP spoofing approach seems best in terms of bandwidth usage and processor load because no extra processing/encapsulation needs to be done on the network data.
Compared to SIP spoofing the DHCP spoofing approach should provide better reliability in case your ISP does decide to change your (semi-static) network configuration.
Contrary to what I have read on the 'net I have had no problems with link stability yet, the connection has been up now for nearly 6 days without a single link failure.

The main problem in getting DHCP spoofing to work seems not to be with getting the Internet IP address assigned to the Asus (since this is done by DHCP in the usual way) but with getting the routing to the Internet correct.
Some Internet providers seem to use a gateway IP address that is not in the same subnet as the subscriber's IP address. Many routers (including the Asus) seem to have difficulty dealing with this the right way.

This can be solved by adding a static route to the gateway, using the WAN interface:

$ route add -host <gateway IP> dev eth1

and then adding a default route for Internet traffic, using this gateway:

$ route add default gw <gateway IP>

To make this all happen automatically, I will propose a small change to the DHCP client script. I will try to contact Oleg about this soon.

-
Miki