PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Decrease Radio Power at wl500gP ?

Slava_z
15-08-2006, 13:55
How can I decrease the radio power (signal strength) for ASUS WL500g Premium with standard native firmware onboard (the one which is pre-installed) ?

I have not found any suitable options in Web-interface.

(I don't need even in current WiFi radio strength as would like to connect only at limited distance)...

Like, I need 15-20% of Full Power - how can I set this up ?

(Usually people are asking how to increase it :) )

Thanks !

wfvn
15-08-2006, 23:14
How can I decrease the radio power (signal strength) for ASUS WL500g Premium with standard native firmware onboard (the one which is pre-installed) ?

I have not found any suitable options in Web-interface.

(I don't need even in current WiFi radio strength as would like to connect only at limited distance)...

Like, I need 15-20% of Full Power - how can I set this up ?

(Usually people are asking how to increase it :) )

Thanks !

http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp (you might need to change the IP if you changed is) and log in

Type:

wl txpwr1 (DO NOT PRESS ENTER)
then click on refresh

It shows the current powersetting

Change it:
wl txpwr 19 (Again DON'T press enter)
then click on refresh

The 19 can be changed to the ammount you want.

Slava_z
16-08-2006, 10:09
Thanks, I'll try !

Do you know by chance what is the allowed range for this value ?
1 to 100 or something else ?

wfvn
16-08-2006, 11:15
Thanks, I'll try !

Do you know by chance what is the allowed range for this value ?
1 to 100 or something else ?

I don't know the range but 19 is rather low while 1450 is somewhat the highest range. My guess is your WL500gP is set at maximum (mine was and yesterday I read the same about the WL500gP of someone else).

But I don't know about percentages. Just try

EddieZ
16-08-2006, 14:03
Check here for a more elaborate view on the commands and arguments: http://www.myotis.ch/wiki/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=26

Slava_z
16-08-2006, 16:16
I don't know the range but 19 is rather low while 1450 is somewhat the highest range. My guess is your WL500gP is set at maximum (mine was and yesterday I read the same about the WL500gP of someone else).

But I don't know about percentages. Just try

According to EddieZ:
"
txpwr Set tx power in milliwatts. Range [1, 84]. (Deprecated: Use txpwr1 instead)

txpwr1 Set tx power in in various units. Choose one of (default: dbm):
-d dbm units
-q quarter dbm units
-m milliwatt units
"
txpwr1 seem to be in dbm units (if by default) ...

I'll do some experiments later today....

Slava_z
16-08-2006, 21:20
I tried, without positive results for me :confused:

It does shows that "wl txpwr1"+refresh the new value I've entered by "wl txpwr1 xx"+refresh.

(I make wl txpwr1 3) - 3 dbm units versus 31.75 (this was default value)

But effectively when I took my PDA and trying to test the connectivity expecting that TX power become not enough to connect - it connects everywhere :mad: (I expected that on long enough distance there will not be possible to connect)

Moreover after restart of WL500gP all wireless power settings goes to default value. Tha means I can't store it ????????????????? :eek:

EddieZ
17-08-2006, 20:26
I guess you can store them by using the NVRAM/NVSET commands. I think it goed like this (haven't tried myself.:

(WL) NVRAM txpwr [inputlines]
NVRAM COMMIT
REBOOT

PS: you might wanna play around with the Mw value, not with the dB value, if you want to limit reach.

For (even) more info on the WL command: visit broadcom site