PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : ID3 Tags / iTunes problem?

Martijn
07-08-2006, 00:22
I tried to add some mp3s to the music folder. The files show up in iTunes (6.0.5 PPC/Mac) but the ID3 information is ignored and only the file name is shown in the list of songs. According to ASUS, the software should be able to handle ID3 tags of v1, v2 and v3...

What could be the problem? :confused:

Life2Short
17-09-2006, 21:32
Hey,

Just wanted to join Martinj in saying that I get filenames only and no tag info in iTunes. I have no idea why this is the case. Under the last 6.0x version of iTunes, I could get album art displayed (funny, that). :confused: Now 7.0 won't do that either. I am running the 1.0.4.6 firmware. I have tried this on both a Windows XP system and Mac OS X 10.4.7.

As always, thank you for your support...;)

nickpdx
18-09-2006, 17:05
I also have some ID tag issues when I view songs on the device as a network share -- but it seems limited to the track number tags. Some songs show up with track numbers, some do not.

infoanarchy
19-09-2006, 02:27
i had been playing songs off network share using winamp. no problems at all reading and writing tags, both for onboard drive and attached.

then i switched over to AP mode to see how it differs - big mistake. long story short i need to reset to regain access. now i've got major problems reading tags. winamp doesn't play songs in order and some apps can't write tags, others can't.

if this persists i may need to return it; i can only tolerate so many bugs and i bought this for wireless media access primarily.

btw, stupid question: shd the itunes server be recognized automatically by a PC running itunes, or only a network player device? i can't find any documentation re itunes servers and the wl-700ge manual + quick start guide don't appear to shed any light.

infoanarchy
19-09-2006, 03:13
the problem persists but it's erratic. itunes behavior seems fine so far. occasionally it sort files incorrectly but a little retagging fixes it. my favorite tagging program Tagscanner can no longer write to files on the wl-700ge.

winamp reads tags but loads directories without the usual regard for filename sort order. i found a preference in winamp (under 'playlist'): "when loading multiple files, sort files by name" and checked it. as a result winamp corrects for this new asus problem but still jumps to the track previously listed first. this is seemingly random (though the same every time) -- no correlation to date modified/created, file size, or any of the id3 tags.

infoanarchy
19-09-2006, 05:27
my favorite tagging program Tagscanner can no longer write to files on the wl-700ge.
restored ability to write tags by checking 'enable' and 'write' under NFS Access on the "Share Management - Basic Config" screen.

nickpdx
19-09-2006, 18:09
well, I guess I should clarify that when I mount the Music share of my device directly, then point the iTunes config at that share, everything works fine.

it's only when I tell iTunes to "look for shared music", and then browse the resulting "WL700GE" network peer, that some of the ID tag info comes up empty. This bothers me because I wanted to buy a Roku Soundbridge and I'm worried that it won't be able to correctly read my mp3 library.

to answer one of your questions, when you start iTunes open the preferences, go to Sharing and click Look for Shared Music. at that point yes, iTunes should automatically recognize the WL700Ge on the network.

Martijn
19-09-2006, 20:43
As stated before, I have the same problem of empty tag info when using the Shared library (DAAP) functionality of the WL-700G in combination with iTunes.

My WL-700G shows up correctly in iTunes as a 'Shared library', but it does not load ID3 tag info for MP3 files.

However, I figured that the tag info works correctly with AAC / M4A / MPEG4 encoded audio files. So what I just did was convert my whole library to AAC (using the built in converter of iTunes). It took a whole night, but well, it works now :)

Now, my new request is, is it possible to add audio abilities to the WL-700G, using a USB soundcard? (I realise, that this is not the proper thread for this ;))

infoanarchy
20-09-2006, 05:32
to answer one of your questions, when you start iTunes open the preferences, go to Sharing and click Look for Shared Music. at that point yes, iTunes should automatically recognize the WL700Ge on the network.
crap i was afraid of that. no dice. i have a slew of mp3s in the /music folder on my wl-700ge. i'm running 1.0.4.6 now after upgrading yesterday from 1.0.4.1. i have 'Look for Shared Music' checked on iTunes 6.0.4.2.

damn i wish i had a better sense of how likely it is that these bugs will be resolved. on a similar front, i can't tag mp3s on attached disks using tagscanner or itunes.

Gavin
12-01-2007, 06:00
I don't think that it is a MP3 / AAC as some of the tags from my MP3 files work and some from my AAC files don't work. Besides, changing from one compressed format to another compressed format is not a good idea as it leads to a big reduction in sound quality.

The problem seems to be with the tag version being used. Using Tag and rename to copy the information from ID3v2 to ID3v1 so far has worked on all of the files that I have tried it with. However, I haven't had the same success trying to do the same thing with Media Rage... not sure why yet....

DaNawq
12-01-2007, 11:56
I do have exactly the same behavior with the asus build-in mt-daapd.

One solution (very advanced) is to use kfurges firmware (head do firmware discussion) and follow his great tutorial adding ipkg packages.

After that go to n00bens Tutorial in the how-to section about replacing asus old mt-daapd with the newer one out of the ipkg package.

Then you will have all id3 tags displayed.

mostern
03-04-2007, 23:10
Hi Guys!

I can't even see any shared library in my iTunes. How do I get iTunes to see it?
Please help :)

Nina