PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Firmware update for dummies - can someone help?

ClaudeX
31-07-2006, 12:44
Hey,

This is quite surreal.....

Such a good product - such poor manual, instructions etc.

Got myself another WL700gE after the first one crashed after firmware update. I tried everything listed in the forum. But somehow it was impossible to ping the router even after resetting.

So now. I run the firmware update again (1041 to 1042) with only my ethernet connection active - from the browser. I touch nothing for 25 min after clicking OK to the process. More or less the same happens. I get a blank browser page. This time I don't try to restart my computer and router. I try to ping the router from cmd and this time it still replies. WAUW - I'm such a lucksack....

Now I try to get into the router browser setup again. The welcome menu is without graphics and looks like a homepage that pops up with time out issues. I get into the configuration still and it apparently looks normal. However, none of the submenus respond and I time out. I try again - still no luck. Restart computer - same thing.

I am still in contact with my router and I can access the internet. Running a speed test my speed is now significantly reduced.

There is no firmware file on the installation disc to use for restoration. I try to update again with the 1042.nas file - nothing happens in the cmd-prompt popping up.

I then see some links in the forum with a gpl 1042 something......

And an explanation although very thourough, I understand nothing of. Can someone tell me what this is? Can I run the file on my XP system or is this some linux only file. What is this thing?

Frustrations frustrations........

Try to install the 1041 firmware that I just found on the forum...... hopes this works.

I appreciate ANY comments. I thought I was quite knowledgable about networking, but this......

Kind regards,

Peter

The problem has been solved. Restarting the computer and then turning off the router for 10+ sec. before turning power on again. Seems to make the new firmware (1.0.4.2) update work. However, manual or setup page does not mention much about going to blank screen and how to move on from here....

pvklink
24-08-2006, 21:00
shut off your router. push the reset button for 10 seconds. after some minutes the routers turns on. Follow the ezsetup software procedure again....

i had exact the same problems. After a reset everything worked again incl the latest firmware

nitzer
25-08-2006, 17:12
I had the same problem with my Web browser having a blank page. I must say at this stage I was really scared :eek:
Then I tried to do a refresh of the browser. Luckily it worked and I could see a progression bar appearing on the screen... and the firmware upgrade worked perfectly fine. :D

GerardNL
06-09-2006, 10:39
I've written a little how-to guide on upgrading in the "WL-700g Tutorials" subforum.

Would appreciate if you could comment on it so, people can update their firmware with confidence.