PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL500g Premium beta firmware removed

Oleg
20-07-2006, 21:40
Removed from my site, due to number of dead router reports. I would check on this.

Please flash original ASUS firmware to avoid problems.

britnet
21-07-2006, 07:41
Any suggestions why they died?

Oleg
21-07-2006, 08:19
Not yet.
Recovery is possible by wiping current settings: just ground flash pin #9 and turn the device on.

sMiLe
21-07-2006, 15:05
Thank you very much, Oleg! Pin 9 did the trick, I tried pin 10 and 12 before with no luck. How did you know it was pin 9??? I could not figure that out from the flash's manual :(

In the german forum, we have several reports about dead routers, too. It seems like all had the samba demo stuff activated, maybe that helps in finding the cause of this problem...

regards,
sMiLe

Oleg
21-07-2006, 16:19
Samba could not cause any problems.
Do you've dyndns service active? Which connection type do you use?

sMiLe
21-07-2006, 17:24
Hi,

i had dyndns active, but only with the original firmware. Then I changed to your firmware, reset the whole config but didn't configure dyndns again.
What do you mean, which connection type? For WAN? PPPoE...

Are you sure about samba? maybe large file transfers could do any harm when using too much memory? Anyhow, I have no clue about this busybox stuff...

Oleg
21-07-2006, 17:54
Are you sure about samba? maybe large file transfers could do any harm when using too much memory? Anyhow, I have no clue about this busybox stuff...
Well, try to kill it again then, to check if this is samba...

The problem seems to be is that some nvram variable was invalid, so it was unable to configure LAN interface for recovery. Samba does not do any modifications to nvram and it does not commit it.

The thing which is looking strange to me is slow flash write/erase compared to other routers. But it is the same for both asus/openwrt/my firmware. Seems to be flash chip feature...

sMiLe
21-07-2006, 22:03
Well, nice try ;) I'm happy it's working again, I dunno if I should risk another death, maybe the router has 9 lives like a cat? :cool:

On the other hand, the new router is already on its way ... ;)

BTW: Oleg, could you explain shortly how you figured out that Pin 9 has to be used? I'm curious and would like to know more about this stuff :)

Edit: Ok I've pre4 running again, Samba activated, no problems so far, but I didnt transfer anything via samba yet, I'll try this tomorrow...

rj.2001
23-07-2006, 15:18
my WL500gP is also died! Without any reason! The unit dies over night!
But the PIN 9 - shortcut works fine! You can also use the solder tack near the PIN 9 (I have marked it on the pic) for nervous hands :D

mickey101
23-07-2006, 23:22
what is the procudure exactly
how long must i hold pin 9 to ground for restore

sMiLe
24-07-2006, 08:18
You have to do it while pluggin the power in. If I remember this correctly, the power LED stays off when everything is OK. Then unplug the power, remove the grounding from Pin 9 and press the restore button while plugging the power cord back in. A slowly blinking power LED should signal that the device is in the restore mode...

Oleg
24-07-2006, 16:11
BTW: Oleg, could you explain shortly how you figured out that Pin 9 has to be used? I'm curious and would like to know more about this stuff :)

This is just the highest address bit... Grounding causes nvram to fail during CRC.

oleo
25-07-2006, 06:54
Another way to cause CRC without opening a box is to press Cancel during upload with firmware restoration tool.

sMiLe
25-07-2006, 08:27
Another way to cause CRC without opening a box is to press Cancel during upload with firmware restoration tool.

yeah, but if the restoration mode is not working... ;) Thanks for this explanation!

petertn
26-07-2006, 09:14
i have started upload Oleg firm. again and then I have unplag power cable. then plug cable on to device and router is in "crash" mode :-)And recowery is working. Sorry for English:rolleyes:

Repiv
01-08-2006, 16:36
Oleg, when will up on your site the checked firmware for 500gp?

Till then, someone have a link to latest Oleg's firmware?

i would like to test it.

nik247
01-08-2006, 16:48
Look here:
http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp.old/
Oleg moved betas for EXPERIMENTAL peoples.

Repiv
01-08-2006, 17:31
Thank you nik

Isidor
24-08-2006, 14:45
Hi Oleg and guys

I've juste purchased a Wl500gP to replace my Deluxe box.

If I understand correctly I sould stay on Asus firmware and wait Oleg issue a new one ?

Or If I'd like to take risks I could play with the experimental ones :)

Banane
29-08-2006, 21:50
You have to do it while pluggin the power in. If I remember this correctly, the power LED stays off when everything is OK. Then unplug the power, remove the grounding from Pin 9 and press the restore button while plugging the power cord back in. A slowly blinking power LED should signal that the device is in the restore mode...

Yeah, that was exactly the correct descripton!

I tried to flash the router with my self build firmware, but it failed. Before grounding pin 9 my LED was already flashing slowly (but the router was not reachable on its last IP 192.168.1.1), after grounding, it stopped flashing and after power cycling with restore button it flashed again slowly, but was reachable again on 192.168.1.1. My old settings were still there!

After trying to ground pin 9 several times, I succeeded. Here are some additional tips:

* take ground signal from UART (is not so tiny)
* take two metal screw drivers and cross them
* take a (wireless) switch for power
* use the switch with toe (this way you need no third hand or to jig)

Best regards

Thorsten

Miko
23-10-2006, 10:00
Hallo,
is there anything new with oleg firmware? long time ago there was beta, nothing new.
(Just polite question, I know Oleg is "only" human and his fw are not commercial)

thanks.
Miko,
(user of WL500gx, WL167, WL108 and now unhappy from wireless range of WL500gP and no OLEG fw)

Oleg
23-10-2006, 10:59
Latest beta is -pre8: http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre8.trx

Jackie_Che
31-10-2006, 09:33
is there also a latest non beta?
or is it still pre4?

and has the latest Beta's been tested on routers without the pin9 trick?

thank you

Miko
20-11-2006, 07:59
Latest beta is -pre8: http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f-pre8.trx

Im sorry, look like that I forgot thank you... so thank you ;) (and for final version too)

asther
11-03-2007, 23:56
Hello...

after i tryed the pin 9 trick my 500gp was alive again, but i can not change the ram to 32MB...

i brik it when i overclock it to 300MHz, and the only solution was the pin mode trick, i even tryed to overclock it again to 280MHz (worked before pin 9) and it does not accept it... so after pin 9 trick i can not overclock it or expand the memory to 32MB...

any ideas?
Thanks in advance...
Asther.

macbroadcast
05-08-2007, 12:29
A slowly blinking power LED should signal that the device is in the restore mode...

hello , yesterday i bricked my ASUS and went to a friend whitch
had a PC to try the "restoration tool" but it canīt find a device
and the "upload " new firmaware proggi say :" invalid ip adress" so he is flashing a random ipdrassinto NVRAM
and when DHCP server is not working , you have no possibility to get the right ip adress , i am right ?
Sombody told me that i have to configure a static ip adress and subnet on the PC before i do this
what subnet i should use = 255.255.255.255 or 255.255.255.0 ?
so i am guessing the " pin 9 " method is the ONLY way ?
I figured out that some times after several resets the " power LED was flashing , what can i do ? So if i understand correctly when its in "restore mode" i could flash new firmware ? for how long do i need to connect the ground to "pin9" ?

thanks so much

ccschen
07-08-2007, 02:33
I have a same problem and don't know to ground the pin. I'm not a eletronic guy. Anyone can describe the procedure?