PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : USB Harddisk. Does it support NTFS at all?

Rasmuskarlsen
17-07-2006, 09:12
I have installed olegs lats firmware on my 500gp. But i cant make it work.

I have installed an external usb case. With an 60gb harddisk.

I have read that if the harddisk should be detected, the first partition must be an FAT32. So i have just planned to make the whole harddisk to one FAT32 partion. But strangely i cannot transfer a file on 4.5gb to the harddisk when it is FAT32? But noproblems when the Filesystem is NTFS!?

So i have made the partiotions as following.

10GB FAT32
50GB NTFS

But does the samba client support that? Does it support NTFS? I want to browse my harddrive via "windows neighbourhood" Can i do that?

cimarron
17-07-2006, 13:34
There's enough topics in this board to dig from.

And there is http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=23836054&forum_id=2697

MMCM
18-07-2006, 07:06
Samba supports every file system the system itself supports.
NTFS support is READ-ONLY on the WL-500 series.
Maximum filesize on FAT32 is 4GB. This is a file system limit.

Rasmuskarlsen
18-07-2006, 20:36
Okay to bad It's Read only. :( Isn't there any way i can write to an NTFS partition on the Wl-500gp?

Rasmuskarlsen
18-07-2006, 20:42
>> cimarron

As far i can se (Based on your link). The NTFS has been made Read / WRITE supported under Linux? But how do i get from the fact "NTFS has been Read / WRITE supported" To my router can write to an NTFS partition? in "Windows network neighbourhood"

rj.2001
19-07-2006, 08:49
in the last official ASUS firmware (1.9.6.9): NTFS-Support is enabled
On the ASUS side, you can read the following:
* Fixed samba server with NTFS issue
...and it works, for sure

sMiLe
19-07-2006, 13:07
...but it's read-only, at least for me it was (before I bricked mine).

Rasmuskarlsen
21-07-2006, 11:41
Okay but why isnt it supported in Olegs firmware? A very big disadvantage, i think!!

Ill prefer running Olegs firmware!

If Oleg read this, have any plans of making NTFS supported in your upcoming firmware?

MMCM
21-07-2006, 12:13
I my opinion there are no full featured, good performing, stable releases of linux drivers with NTFS write support.
Decide what you really want: Use the drive on the WL-500g, then format it with ext3, which is the optimum.
Or use it with your PC, then format it with NTFS.

My WL-500gx has a 40GB 2,5" disk without power supply connected, boots from it, and it runs 24/7. With Samba, thttpd & ftp servers.

Rasmuskarlsen
21-07-2006, 13:42
Hmm... not good news. I have hoped, that with the 500gp i could have an "wireless harddisk" where i could acess my files from my laptop, anywhere in my house. :(

Randale91
21-07-2006, 15:39
Yeah you can do that with your laptop. You will see
the data with your os (XP) as network shared folder....

If you attach the drive to the asus device it
does not matter what partition type you use ...

I would suggest:

You make a first partition like 100MB FAT32 .
Second Partition you format to ext2 or ext3 (please have a look what type is supported in oleg firmware)
Then configure samba on asus device.

Then you can see your data shared in network env.
(with read and write access)

Only disadvantage is if you connect your harddisk
directly to your windows os you cannot access the data
on ext2/ext3 partition. Therefore you have to use a Linux OS.

Maybe now you got the conclusion ?

Rasmuskarlsen
21-07-2006, 16:08
Yes... i can just use FAt32. But the problem is that i want to use NTFS filesystem. Because i sometimes have files, i want to open, that are 4gb+ which FAT32 doesn't support....

Randale91
21-07-2006, 18:25
ok you want to use FAT32,

but why dont you use ext2 Linux Filesystem ?
You can have 4GB files and bigger.......

Rasmuskarlsen
21-07-2006, 19:16
I Want to use the NTFS filesystem.

I can't run ext2 or ext3 because im running windows on the computer i use to browse the harddisk...
So what i know, i cannot access the harddisk via windows, if it running an linux partition...

So the only option for me is NTFS?, I think..?

Randale91
22-07-2006, 09:17
Ok, last answer:

If you always have your USB-HDD connected to your asus device all the following steps are ok for you....
So if you answer this question with NO i do not have an solution for you.

If yes:
Your Laptop or your computer can access the ext2 big!!!! partition through the samba process. Samba translates the windows commands through the network and deliver the right answer to your windows clients....

Just do so.

Rasmuskarlsen
22-07-2006, 11:10
Yes this setup is deffently the best solution for me.

So i just create theese to partition an mount them on my router.

Then its possible to acess them through "Windows network neighbourhood"? As 2 individual partitions?

The only problem if this is the perfect working solution, is getting samba running :)

------------------

I suddenly remembered why i don't have thought of this solution. I have once tried it. But when formating from fat32 to ext2, i lost about 4.5 gb of space on my harddisk. I browsed it with partiton magic 8, and its showed my the following:

Total amount of disk space: 47.1 gb
Total amount of disk space free: 43.2 gb

But where are the lost disk space? What are the ex2 partition using the 4gb to?

If i format it fat32, i get full 47.1gb of space. ?

Just a little extra question :)

sMiLe
22-07-2006, 19:45
BTW: It is possible to mount ext2/ext3 under windows - search for IFS drives on google, works perfectly...

citro
10-08-2006, 13:04
Is it possible to format a disk using ext2/ext3 under Windows, using IFS drivers ?

georgoz
09-11-2007, 09:14
Is it possible to format a disk using ext2/ext3 under Windows, using IFS drivers ?

No. As far as I know.
I have used the Ubuntu Live CD to format the disk for Asus firmware.