PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How-to: Avoid those crazy feelings when you have messed up your router :)

DaNawq
10-07-2006, 23:29
While still trying to get the new version of busybox on it I brought my unit to a status where it doesn't boot anymore. No ping no reset nothing.

But I didn't give up so when everything fails:

1. Give you a static IP like 192.168.1.50
2. Unplug the router for about 10-20 seconds (power cord)
3. Hold the orange EZSetup-button while plugging power on
4. Now the blue ready LED will shine
5. Use Firmware-Restore tool to upload a working firmware
6. Press Reset for about 10 seconds

puhhhh :D

ralam
11-07-2006, 07:05
Thanks for the guide :) I can imagine how you actually felt. I've been there.

On another note, this looks like a good post to also put in the Tutorial sub forum. It's such a sad little forum, it feels so alone with not a single post in it. Perhaps this is the post to lighten its suffering :D

Remco

xvibe
17-07-2006, 14:37
I also have a problem after updating the firmware.
The READY led just keep blinking and nothing more happens!
Anyway, I can ping to the router.
I'll try what DaNawq is says to see if this solves the problem.

I think that this stuff is the kind of stuff to put in the tutorial forum!
Very important and usefull.

xvibe
18-07-2006, 10:18
Sorry, but this didn't solve my problem.
How many time did you waited for the Firmware-Restoring tool to upload the firmware? I only see a message saying something like this "Discovering.... Pres Ctrl+c to cancel".
I used ethereal to see what is happening but the router didn't answer to any packet. Anyway, the router was replying ping commands.
This happened after I tryed to upgrade the firmware to a new version. How do you do this, upgrading a firmware?

Styno
18-07-2006, 10:50
A lot of tutorials for the WL-500g (Deluxe) are also often applicable to the WL-700g....

DaNawq
19-07-2006, 20:20
xvibe just take a look to the other help thread. I think you only did the timing with releasing the ez-setup button while pluggin power in wrong.

xvibe
20-07-2006, 09:49
Sorry DaNawq, but I figure out how to make the READY led just shine and not blinking. You just have to release the ez-setup button in the right time.
Anyway, anything more happens and it didn't solve the problem.
So, i returned my wl700 to the store and they give me a new one. Now i'm affraid of updating the firmware.
Any tutorial on how to update the firmware of wl700? this is very frustating.... :confused:

And Styno, could you tell me where is some informationg regarding this problem that is in the wl500g forum? Thanx!

AverySimonsen
16-09-2006, 00:00
Thx m8. Just turned a big white brick back into a router thx to your little guide :)

One thing that took me a few minutes to figure out is that you have to let go of the ezsetup button as soon as the power comes on and the blue ready led lights up. This leaves the router in a semi-booted state, where you can run the firmware restoration tool successfully.

e-motion
19-09-2006, 17:26
If flashing has failed and the WL-700ge has only a blinking <ready> light this will solve the issue:

1. Download and unzip the latest working firmware for the WL-700gE
----> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-700g/WL700gE_1042.zip
2. Download tftp32 (http://tftp32.jounin.net)
3. Download the tool AsusTrxExtract. (http://www.headcrash.biz/wl700g).
Running this beautiful tool will split the WL700gE_1.0.4.2.nas file in:
- WL700gE_1.0.4.2_disk.trx
- WL700gE_1.0.4.2_flash.trx
4. Power on the WL-700ge
5. Use tftp32 to upload WL700gE_1.0.4.2_flash.trx to the WL-700ge
6. When transfer is succesfull remove powercable, wait 20 seconds and insert powercable.
7. Use the Asus Firmware restoration tool to upload the WL700gE_1.0.4.2.nas file.

Took me a day to figure out, but the white brick is up and running again!!!:)

chlubb
25-09-2006, 08:14
The firmware restoration tool always fails, saying it cant find the file.

Any ideas? I ordered mine online and it sucks to return it and as well had uploaded a ton to the harddrive already.

chris

robg29a
25-09-2006, 23:08
I've tried everything what is told, but I can't ping the router.. Only the blue light stays on, ready. Or do I need to put a cross cable into the wan port of the router? If I can ping it, then I understand that these things help..
I hope somebody has a clue..

greetz Rob

Rich1974
25-10-2006, 08:34
DaNawq: Thanx for the info. I also thougt my brick was down for good. To Extract the trx file and upload that made the brick accessible. Then I only did go the the web config and upload the .nas file again and then the upgrade was running as it should.

Thanx
Richard

houli-mouli
27-10-2006, 21:37
Hi Guys,

since all the common instruction, however they are ment to be useful for the community or not, are poor beacause you need to be pro to understand what they mean (Danawq included). Just look for the restauration of the router by using the search function and you will find a post about restoring the router.
I also got feedback that it was working fine.

Solution:

I did following to get it back running:
1) Set local IP Adress to 192.168.1.50

2) I used a network cable which is "straight through". As both cable types will show a connection to the router on the PC, with the crossed cable nothing will happen.

3) Ping the adress 192.168.1.1 --> should be possible, and check with "arp -a" if the IP adress is found in the arp table

4) Now i used the ASUSTRX (Search for link) tool to split the NSA file into two TRX files. In my case I already uesed the 1.0.4.6 file!!! USE LATEST FROM ASUS PAGE!!!!

5) Connect the network cable on port "LAN 1" !!!

6) Power Up the router

7) Start tftp32

8) Click on TFTP Client and put in following info
Host: 192.168.1.1 Port: 69
File: C:\xxxxxxxxx.trx
Press the Button PUT
After a second the blue indicator will start running

9) Then the power button on the router will lite (yellow/orange, depending on your meaning about colours ;-))

10) Press the power off button

11) Turn Router On

12) Make a update with the latest firmware through the Internet Explorer function -> explorer wont hang after this upgrade

13) if router hangs, repeat from step 1 and use EZ Button Update Restauration for updating firmware (flash+image)

b.r.
Aldi

cryptofreak
04-11-2006, 11:54
Thanks for the tips, I got mine working.

Here are some hints:

1. If you can't ping the router then turn it off, and hold the ezsetup button only until the ready light lights up... pretty much right way. Then you should be able to plug into port 1 and set your ip to 192.168.1.50 and then ping the router. When I first crashed I could still ping, so if you're able to then just leave it alone.

2. The AsusTrxExtract.exe tool worked on the firmware .nas file but it requires the latest dot net update so I had to install that first:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

3. emotion posted links to the other software you need, but tftp.exe I had to get from here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/downloads/Other/tftp.exe

4. tftp.exe asked for Server (the router - 192.168.1.1), Password, and File. I didn't need to input a password. I told it to use the WL700gE_1.0.4.6_flash.trx file.

5. After it was done I just had to unplug the router and plug it back in and it started working again.

I'm curious why I didn't need to do anything with WL700gE_1.0.4.6_disk.trx when that's most of what was in the .nas file.

Good luck,
Cryptofreak

MoD
09-11-2006, 11:27
I would like to thank everyone who contributed info here. I just had the same situation as DaNawq.

It was solved by info posted here. Thanks again!:)

iczfirz
18-06-2007, 17:35
I have a big trouble here that my brick seems dead after flashing the openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx . All light gone.

I had follow all the above step with difference combination of EZ-setup button release pattern. Somehow what if I release immediate after first ready flash will give one or two Reply. If i just keep pressing till the Ready light off it just don:t give any reply at all.

here is my ping echo.

Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64 << Only if I release the button at the first ready first.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 << Only if I release the button at the first ready first.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Anything i did wrongly? seems you all could ping the box good during tftp right?

~May

gratitude182
18-06-2007, 19:09
you could try to install the openwrt.trx file again

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/24

or you could try to install the 1.0.4.2 trx file

http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/54
http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8070

turn it on, wait a little bit and then press the reset button for 5-10 seconds...

then try to install the 1.0.4.2.nas file like there is written

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=6266 --> the different way --> The original was written by DaNawq

maybe it works

grat182

iczfirz
19-06-2007, 01:27
Kiss you GR. The 20sec reset action did the job.

~May

zuluzee
02-10-2007, 13:16
Read everyone's postings and I see I'm not the only one who's gone through this.

My WL 700ge has gone thru the same problems - blinking blue lights - can't load up etc... read all the threads and had difficulty executing the instructions as I'm Mac/Apple based and can't seem to reinstall the firmware.

I then brought my WHITE BRICK over to the ASUS dealer and they were really helpful - and service exceeded my expectations when they whipped out a new WHITE BRICK and gave it to me... told me that that's what they are supposed to do and that they don't do data recovery on the hard drive.... !!!! I broke a cold sweat as I'd just moved some wedding pictures into the drive as TEMP STORAGE and don't have a back up ...

This is what I have:

1. They have swapped an entire new router and loaned me the hard drive so that I can attempt date recovery...

2. I am attempting to use some data recovery tool on PC to try to recover this - but I'm not sure if I can do it as its taken a full day for the computer to read the drive and extract information.

3. I am sure that there is no FATAL ERROR on the drive and that it's not a mechanical failure.

4. The information on the drive is still intact - when we swapped the drive on the router (at the ASUS service center) and tried to re-boot the router, we managed to access the drive for a while - but after that it just failed to boot up again.

So here is my question:
a. How can I access information on my old ASUS WL 700ge hard drive?
b. Are there options for me to read and retrieve my information without reinstalling the firmware?

Can someone help me and advice me as to how I can recover this data that had been previously stored on my hard drive - there is nothing wrong with the drive - just that the firmware has corrupted and the WHITE BRICK is unable to boot up and allow me to

Would appreciate any help that I can get with this - cause I'm in deep POO POO when my wife finds out that it was my smart idea to store the wedding photos in the hard drive (sigh)

kfurge
05-10-2007, 02:21
Would appreciate any help that I can get with this - cause I'm in deep POO POO when my wife finds out that it was my smart idea to store the wedding photos in the hard drive (sigh)

What's your level of Linux experience? The more your have, the shallower your POO POO pile.

- K.C.

zuluzee
11-10-2007, 21:00
I don't have any experience with LINUX- but can I get clarifications if all the directions provided in the forum based on LINUX and not applicable for my machine running on XP?

kfurge
16-10-2007, 01:58
The router runs Linux so the easiest way to get your data back is to drop the old HDD into another Linux box and mount the 3rd partitition (it's a Reiserfs). Then copy the data to something more convenient.

If you're unfamiliar with Linux, these steps can be difficult. Perhaps you can find a local Linux user to help you out.

- K.C.

Musk
16-10-2007, 03:26
So here is my question:
a. How can I access information on my old ASUS WL 700ge hard drive?
b. Are there options for me to read and retrieve my information without reinstalling the firmware?

I was faced with a similar problem - but not with anything as important as wedding photos luckily!

I came across some utilities that claim to let you access EXT2/EXT3 format drives in windows but didn't manage to get them to work. BUT I am anything but an expert in these things so maybe you could? I tried this tool (there are others too):

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/

Good luck!

In my case I accidentally pulled out the network cable during a FW upgrade and my WL700gE was bricked, I couldn't even ping it. I got a new router and moved on. BUT last weekend I realised I needed some files that were ONLY on the Asus. Damn!

After much messing around, I can say my WL700gE is back up and running thanks to all the advice in this post above. I HAD actually tried this before. But I really needed those files so I gave it another shot today and presto - my routers back!

Thanks for the tips people! Btw I now use a real NAS (Readynas NV+) and use the D-Link DIR 655 router.

Chimborazo
16-10-2007, 09:56
hope this will help

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10198

zuluzee
05-11-2007, 15:11
So the saga continues with my ASUS ROUTER.

Let me recap the situation for everyone - in case it might have gotten lost in the thread.

1. Had a ASUS router and was happy to use it as an temp storage drive and started consolidating my information onto router.
2. Did an successful firmware update and could get the white brick to get going again.
3. Sent back to equipment dealer and they were extremely pro-active to swap a new working router for me but couldn't retrieve any information.
4. Have a new router and the old hard drive with my data still on it.

Got a few suggestions:

a. Recovery Tool
Suggested to use: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/
To access disk and obtain information. But after 3 days of scanning the drive I got an recovery of the files - but with no file names only numbers - so that's no use at all as it will be "hell" to go thru each and every file to figure out what it is... there's about 80GB of information there.

But at least one consolation - the information is still intact ??? So this brings be back to the same place I started out - a LINUX based hard drive that I don't have access to - or at least access to the information that is not manageable.

b. Access by LINUX
Suggested by CHIMBORAZO to refer to MUMSOFT's post at:

Suggestion was to download KNOPPIX from www.knoppix.org and re-write partition so that LINUX based application can view and copy folders.

Have a few questions:

a. Downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso - but there were 2 other files that I don't know what they are for:

(1)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5.asc (2)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc

Do I need these files?

b. Instructions from MUMSOFT asks me to backup MBR or first 512 bytes.
Can someone clarify - where does it back up to? I mean it gives specific instructions to type:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=asus-mbr-original bs=512 count=1"

But I am not sure how/and where LINUX back saves this? I am not a familiar LINUX user so am going with the instructions step by step... and exactly as how the instructions spell it...

c. Restoring MBR
MUMSOFT says taht we need to restore MBR in order to get it to work...
- What is an MBR?
- If the MBR doesn't work in the first place - where do you get it? The saved MBR is faulty isn't it? I'm not clear as to this part of the instructions

Thank you for everyone's patience - the thread is a wealth of resource - but sometimes is quite confusing especially for a newbie like me who has limited resource and capabilities when it comes to LINUX.

d. File Names
If I am able to recover and open the hard drive for reading will I see the files with names or will it have numbers like the DISK RECOVERY program..

Many thanks in advance to everyone for help and inputs - I really appreciate it if you could walk me thru these questions.... maybe if some kind soul is willing to help speak with me and clarify these questions thru (skype or messenger) and help me thru this I would appreciate it..

mumsoft
05-11-2007, 21:29
So the saga continues with my ASUS ROUTER.
Got a few suggestions:

a. Recovery Tool
Suggested to use: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/
To access disk and obtain information. But after 3 days of scanning the drive I got an recovery of the files - but with no file names only numbers - so that's no use at all as it will be "hell" to go thru each and every file to figure out what it is... there's about 80GB of information there.

This recovery tool is not useful because the format of the Asus disk is not EXT2 or EXT3, but ReiserFS. You can see it as NTFS or FAT as is used by Windows, but it is of course not the same. It is the way information is stored on the disk.

b. Access by LINUX
Suggested by CHIMBORAZO to refer to MUMSOFT's post at:

Suggestion was to download KNOPPIX from www.knoppix.org and re-write partition so that LINUX based application can view and copy folders.

Have a few questions:

a. Downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso - but there were 2 other files that I don't know what they are for:

(1)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5.asc (2)KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc

Do I need these files?

They are provided to prove to you that the iso file you downloaded is intact and not a falsification.
I think that when you burn the DVD your software will tell you the md5 or sha1 fingerprint so you can compare this to the ascii files. It's a matter of trust.

b. Instructions from MUMSOFT asks me to backup MBR or first 512 bytes.
Can someone clarify - where does it back up to? I mean it gives specific instructions to type:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=asus-mbr-original bs=512 count=1"

But I am not sure how/and where LINUX back saves this? I am not a familiar LINUX user so am going with the instructions step by step... and exactly as how the instructions spell it...

c. Restoring MBR
MUMSOFT says taht we need to restore MBR in order to get it to work...
- What is an MBR?
- If the MBR doesn't work in the first place - where do you get it? The saved MBR is faulty isn't it? I'm not clear as to this part of the instructions

Okay, first, MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's just the very first 512 bytes of a disk. It's not Linux specific, just a computer term. Google for it and find out.
Second, dd uses 'if' for Input File, and 'of' for Output File. In the instructions you see only a filename without a directory (asus-mbr-original), so this file goes where you are. Probably in the home directory of your Knoppix session. But you must make sure you KEEP this file, and Knoppix is just only there as long as you use it. You could try a floppy (fd0) or a fat partition on your pc's hard disk. But you need some understanding of the way Linux sees floppies (fd0, fd1,...) and hard disks (hda, hda1, hda2,... hda5 etc).

Remember, if you don't need to use the disk in the Asus anymore, there is no real need to keep the original MBR for restoring.

With FDISK you will write a new MBR, one that is usable for Knoppix, but unusable for Asus. As said, this information occupies only 512 bytes, far out of the way of your own data, that will not be touched.

d. File Names
If I am able to recover and open the hard drive for reading will I see the files with names or will it have numbers like the DISK RECOVERY program..

You will see it with names of course. Just as the screenshot in my original posting, or similar. At least, so should it be.

Marc