PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : recent 500gP owner

nublete
04-07-2006, 23:54
Hello, i;ve recently purchased an Asus WL-500G Premium and i have a few questions.

1. (and most important) I live in an area where a very strong public hotspot (bandwidth-wise) is active. The question is : Is there any way i can use this wireless connection as "WAN" instead of the ethernet cable ?

2. Does the Firewall enabled (but at default settings) provide same or more effectiness as a software based firewall ? (let's say Zone Alarm).

3. I cannot find any option where i can change the revdns (name) of my router. When i trace a route to a host (let's say google.com), the first "hop" is 198.168.1.1 ("my.router"). Where can i change it ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

nublete
07-07-2006, 13:39
So many views and yet no replies...

any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Antiloop
07-07-2006, 13:48
1 yes, out of box you have to connect as client to the network
wl500gp should do the rest

ofcourse your wireless does not work as AP anymore when using it this way.

2 mostly more, it's before it goes into your network when it could be too late already

3 try to change lan host name (not sure if that works)

nublete
07-07-2006, 15:38
1. I don't have a wireless card, only the router has wireless capabilities. In the ip settings on the router there is no option where i can set wireless as WAN. I tried leaving automatic ip but nothing happens. The hotspot is public so there would be no problems there. Any tips ?

2. Great ;)

3. Yeap it worked, thanks a bunch.

Antiloop
07-07-2006, 16:53
1. I don't have a wireless card, only the router has wireless capabilities. In the ip settings on the router there is no option where i can set wireless as WAN. I tried leaving automatic ip but nothing happens. The hotspot is public so there would be no problems there. Any tips ?

2. Great ;)

3. Yeap it worked, thanks a bunch.
setup the wireless part as client
just fill in like it would be your accesspoint who is transmitting

at the advanced page you can select somewhere station/ap, bridge and client I believe

use Client then

nublete
07-07-2006, 20:08
just fill in like it would be your accesspoint who is transmitting

I don;t quite understand what you mean by this. Please rephrase :)

In the advanced page (wireless section) the extended mode sub-menu gives me the following 3 options :

-AP or WDS
-station
-ethernet bridge

I tried them all and still no go. A friend came over with a laptop, the connection worked flawlessly for him (without beeing connected to the router).