PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Vpn connection being dropped

ralam
01-07-2006, 10:12
Hi all,

I just bought the WL-700gE and I have a problem. To be able to work from home, I need to use a VPN connection to the office. Making the connection is no problem, but after about a minute, the connection is lost. First, it's showing as connected in the system tray/notification area, but no data is being transferred. And soon afer that the whole connection is dropped.

All this is over the wired LAN, so it has nothin to do with wifi. Does anyone have any suggestions, because this way, the router is pretty useless to me, it would be a shame to have to return it.

Regards,

Remco

Barnosch
01-07-2006, 23:31
VPN insīt very easy to set up and work correctly and nice.

What is the error? Check the log files.

ralam
02-07-2006, 10:50
VPN insīt very easy to set up and work correctly and nice.

What is the error? Check the log files.

The thing is, the connection was working before I started using the WL-700gE, but now that I put that in loop, the connection drops.

Where can I find the log? In control panel -> computer management-> (error) logs?

thanks

Barnosch
02-07-2006, 19:11
How do you connect to the office?
Is the router in the office with a running OpenVPN Server or is there a already running VPN Server? Linux? W2K3 Server?
___
In my case, it works like this:
I installed the OpenVPN Package on my 500gx as the server and connecting trough the OpenVPN-Gui from the XP client to it. Thats a physical connection.
Works!
But i didnīt manage it yet to connect from the Notebook per wireless.
I can connect to the LAN but cannot access the WAN. Have to try a bit.

There is a log file within the OpenVPN GUI which tells you what it is actually doing.

Sorry for the english, but it isnīt my first speaking language.
It depends on your local settings where to find the log, but iīm pretty sure there is one, somewhere ;)

ralam
03-07-2006, 07:17
The situation was/is this:

I'm at home. At work they have a VPN server, probably windows 2003, I'm not sure, I just get the connection details. So I'm at home and my VPN was working perfectly when my computer was directly connected to my adsl modem.

Now I've put the WL-700gE between my modem en my computer... and now the line gets dropped after a while (usually within 5 minutes)

Remco

Barnosch
03-07-2006, 16:03
ok. here we go.
Have your forwarded the right port to your client?

Ask your administrator for the right VPN Port.

As your were directly connected to your adsl-modem there was no NAT (Network Address Translation), so you donīt needed to forward something.
Now all the incoming connections have to go trough the firewall and the ports must be forwarded to your local LAN-IPīs.

ralam
03-07-2006, 21:28
ok. here we go.
Have your forwarded the right port to your client?

Ask your administrator for the right VPN Port.

As your were directly connected to your adsl-modem there was no NAT (Network Address Translation), so you donīt needed to forward something.
Now all the incoming connections have to go trough the firewall and the ports must be forwarded to your local LAN-IPīs.

Nope, that's not it. First of all, it's an outgoing connection, second of all, my adsl modem is a router+modem in one. I've configured that router-modem to forward all traffic to the WL-700gE. But if I connect my computer back to that modem, there are no portmappings to my computer (which then has a lan ip address in the 10.0.0.* subnet) Though I haven't tried what would happpen if I put my computer in the DMZ, I'll try that too, though I doubt that'll help.

:(