PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Hiya Gang, couple of Newb questions

Techfan
19-12-2003, 03:55
Just bought my first router, the wl-500g
Prior to that ran the network off a 4 port hub.

Basic Set up is looking good, in place and connecting to
most of the important stuff, print server workin great.

But My dilema is port assigning.

Now I have been trying to hook up to a game at msn called Asheron's call. It requires a specific set of ports for msn, another for the Zone and a third for DX.

Do I set these ports in the internet firewall section under wan to lan and lan to wan. or Do I set them under NAT and port mapping?

comments much appreciated, thanks
TF

Antiloop
19-12-2003, 07:57
seems to be hard: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?threadid=33 read that sticky thing first before posting in the wrong forum

Antiloop
19-12-2003, 08:01
Originally posted by Techfan
Just bought my first router, the wl-500g
Prior to that ran the network off a 4 port hub.

Basic Set up is looking good, in place and connecting to
most of the important stuff, print server workin great.

But My dilema is port assigning.

Now I have been trying to hook up to a game at msn called Asheron's call. It requires a specific set of ports for msn, another for the Zone and a third for DX.

Do I set these ports in the internet firewall section under wan to lan and lan to wan. or Do I set them under NAT and port mapping?

comments much appreciated, thanks
TF

what firmware are you using ?
it seems that your are using ROUTER MODE instead of HOME GATEWAY, otherwise the port mapping would NOT excist please mention your specific config
why do you need to forward ?

note: msn does not need ports forwarded. be specific please

Techfan
20-12-2003, 07:52
firmware version is 1.6.5.3

set up as home gateway

WAN type : automatic

IP address : 24.68.*.*

gateway: 24.68.+.+

Lan interface----

ip address: 192.168.1.1

Here's the Odd tid bit. I upgraded the firmware tonight
it was the fresh out of the box 1.3.4.1 or something like that
I dowloaded the 1.6.5.3 and installed it.

Originally under NAT there was a section called port mapping, now it is gone and there a section called Trigger ports, This section was not there before and is NOT in my manual.

It does however look promising.

Here are the pages I was refered to when it came to playing an online game on msn under NAT.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236430

http://www.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240429

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;159031

Previously I had gone into the section titled Internet Firewall
and had set the filters Wan to LAn & Lan to Wan
to accept the ports listed in those links I had used the formula
xxxx:xxxx to designate a range, xxxx to specify a specific port and had also set it to udp or tcp as listed in said links. for incoming IP I had used

I set the address for MSN as " 207.46.204.*" and opened ports
2302:2400, and 9000:9013. set to udp

I set the address for the Zone as " 207.46.203.*" and opened ports
80, 443, 47624, and 28800:29100 to tcp and port 6073 to udp

For home IP I used the default gateway, 192.168.1.1

I then set the game to "Obtain port automatically".

I can log into the zone ok, I can log into the game only as far as the entry point into the world and at that point can not connect to the servers.

My limited understanding of NAT suggests that packets coming to me at the web IP of 24.68.*.* are intercepted and translated to send into the LAN.

I could be way off base on this, ( I did mention this is my first router right 8).......)

Maybe in the internet firewall filter section I shoul have used my actual ip not the default gateway, unfortunately the book is very non ... well non, there is nothing in there about this.

Anyhow, hopefully this gives some more specs and info, the feedback really is appreciated and typing this all out certainly helps me focus in on issues and ideas.
tomorrow I will try setting up that new trigger section that showed up since the firmware upgrade.

thanks again gang

TF