PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : 2GB downloadlimit / hardrive 700ge

bartgrefte
16-06-2006, 12:26
Hi,

i've been thinking about buying the 700ge, but there are 2 things i'd like to know first.

1. Is that 2GB filesize limit (for downloading) gone already? workaround or something??

2. is it possible to replace the harddrive with something like this:
http://www.9130.cn/eshop/pic/cf%20to%20ide%20DPM2.jpg
so i can use a CF (or another) flashcard??

Bart Grefet

dev
16-06-2006, 17:55
(offtopic:)
If you want to use such an Adapter, I would buy a WL-500gP + USB->IDE converter (only because the price,)

you spend a lot of money for buildin HDD and then replace it with a small CF card

PXP52
16-06-2006, 18:02
@bartgrefte

The 2 GB problem is still there !!
I / We wait for the fix :-)

cu

Dirk

bartgrefte
16-06-2006, 18:22
(offtopic:)
If you want to use such an Adapter, I would buy a WL-500gP + USB->IDE converter (only because the price,)

you spend a lot of money for buildin HDD and then replace it with a small CF card
i wan't to use the internal harddrive, but i want to have the possibility of turning it of without turning of the router, so i want to put the routers system files on the flash and use the harddrive in a USB-->IDE casing (which i already have)

@bartgrefte

The 2 GB problem is still there !!
I / We wait for the fix :-)

cu

Dirk
damn!

APlus
28-12-2006, 21:35
According to Asus Technical Support this limitation is due to the FAT32 filesystem. I need to reformat the harddisk to EXT2.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thx in advance,

A+

bartgrefte
28-12-2006, 21:43
According to Asus Technical Support this limitation is due to the FAT32 filesystem. I need to reformat the harddisk to EXT2.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thx in advance,

A+
This is what i know: it's not the filesystem! fat32 should handle 2GB< (but <4GB) files. The 700Ge's 2GB filesize limitationproblem lies in the software....

And the formatting.... this is how i should have done it:
remove the harddrive from the router and connect it to a computer. Then boot with linux, if you dont have linux a live evaluation (A.K.A. knoppix) cd/dvd will do fine, use linux to format the harddrive to ext3. Dont know exactly how, but just go to Yast and then to the harddrive section. There you will be able to format your harddrive.

gratitude182
29-12-2006, 14:50
i don't understand that clearly.

can you tell me whats then the real advantage when I reformat the hd to ext 2 or 3?

grat182

bartgrefte
29-12-2006, 15:44
i don't understand that clearly.

can you tell me whats then the real advantage when I reformat the hd to ext 2 or 3?

grat182
if you format the harddrive to ext3 you will be able to store files with every size, with fat32 the filesize limit is 4GB.

Bút changing the filesystem won't solve the 2GB filesize limit when using the downloadclient of the router, the cauze of this download filesize limit lies in the routers software so there's nothing you can do about it except waiting for asus to fix the problem.

gratitude182
29-12-2006, 17:48
now i understand ;-) thanks

grat

MaxCorvette
30-12-2006, 16:21
From the latest firmware version 1046n I don't have a 2GB download file limit anymore.
So I would just upgrade to the latest Firmware and all should work fine.

The file system on the internal disk is Reiserfs and not FAT32 and there is no 2GB limitation there either.

I'm not sure if formating the disk and then putting it back in will work.
I think the disk wil be formatted again by the OS and all setting will be defaulted to the factory default. Not sure about this, but this is how I understood it.
Maybe someone can confirm or tell me wrong..

External USB disks have to be ext2, ext3, Fat32 if you want read/write support.
NTFS is readonly due to Linux limitations on NTFS disks.

APlus
05-01-2007, 13:01
I got the router preïnstalled with firmware version 1.0.4.6 so upgrading will not solve the 2 GB limit. The answer from the Dutch ASUS Support Team was that it's a limitation of FAT32 and I should format it to EXT2. When I questioned how the answer was that I should use Google?!

I'm also not sure if formating the disk and then putting it back in will work, so I'm still stuck with the 2 GB limit...

Thx for the Help anyhow!

A+

d3viant
05-01-2007, 19:20
I'm not sure why ASUS are saying it's FAT32 - just another sign of their incompetence probably - it's definitely ReiserFS! There are 2 versions of the 1046 firmware - a 1046 original firmware, which uses ReiserFS3.5 (which has a 2GB limit) and version 1046n (which uses ReiserFS3.6 without the 2GB limit)

You should be able to just re-download the ASUS 1046 firmware and upload it to your router - this should handle the 2GB filesystem limit.

I am still not 100% sure however, if the ctorrent program included with the router has a 2GB limit also. If you want to download torrents, the best option would be to install Kfurges custom firmware, and work on getting transmission or enhanced-ctorrent working(posts around this forum)

Kfurge's custom firmware will also allow you to spin down the hard drive after 15mins of inactivity - so this appears to be the way forward for you :)

winter_nites
07-01-2007, 03:21
I also have this 2Gb limit... Does any one know where I can get the 1046n version firmware from? I am currently running the 1046 firmware from the Asus site.

d3viant
07-01-2007, 12:09
When did you get the 1046 firmware? - The version that ASUS are hosting now is the 1046n version which they are just calling 1046. The newer version has been out since about september last year.

MaxCorvette
07-01-2007, 15:00
With the latest 1046n Firmware there is also no limitation on the torrent downloads.

The 1046n Firmware is the Firmware presented by Asus on their site as 1046.
I first had 1042 Firmware after that i upgraded to 1046 [first version] still having the 2Gb limit and now I've upgraded to 1046n and at least that problem is gone.
So just flash your router and see if you can live with the router after this.
The torrent client is very crappy but it works.

APlus
09-01-2007, 20:17
I just upgraded the firmware to the new 1.0.4.6 version (WL700gE_1046_n.zip from http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=WL-700gE).

First of all I was very happy to find out that I didn't loose any data or settings.

Then I was worried, because I could not see any difference in version. The Firmware Version under Advanced Settings - System Setup - Firmware Upgrade still shows 1.0.4.6.

But in the end a filecopy showed that the 2 GB limit is now gone!! (Testing of BitTorrent is still in progress...)

By the way, when I upgrade to Kfurge's custom firmware are data and settings also kept?

I'm very happy now, thanks for the help!

A+

kfurge
11-01-2007, 01:57
By the way, when I upgrade to Kfurge's custom firmware are data and settings also kept?

The firmware image I created is the stock firmware with a few minor tweaks to let us hackers have some fun.

Your settings will remain unchanged.

- K.C.

APlus
11-01-2007, 18:09
Thanks K.C.

I'm going to try your version asap!

A+

qz3fwd
15-01-2007, 04:38
I upgraded to the 1046n firmware yesterday and can confirm the 2GB filesize limitation is removed.
However torrents above 2 GB will not start using the built in torrent app.

I plan on upgrading to a 750GB Seagate drive tomorrow.
Any step by step directions?
Is it as easy as swapping hard drives and flashing the firmware again??
Lets hope so cause 160/250 GB doesnt cut it in this day and age!!!!!

kfurge
16-01-2007, 03:08
Be careful of heat. Another post on this forum indicated that a 500G Seagate unit did not work so well... It may be better to add more storage externally via USB.

- K.C.

qz3fwd
20-01-2007, 20:18
Well today I did the 750GB Seagate upgrade and just got it up and running.
The firmware Howto worked perfectly. All ya have to do is swap drives and flash the firmware-very cool.

Now I have 750 GB free and a new 160 drive for a spare-just in case.

I will monitor the drive and make sure there are no problems and report out my findings.

One of these days I'll try out the custom firmware-especially if it supports drive spindown AND a web based torrent client without the 2 GB constraint. (Its odd the filesystem supports 2+GB files but the torrent refusus to start downloading)