PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WAN port dies after a time of traffic

Phantome
18-12-2003, 17:08
Hi!
I have connected my WL-500g wan port to a 10/100Mbps Switch (UNEX NexSwitch SD080s), the switch has two other computers connected and a connection to a 100 MB LAN. I have connected one computer to one LAN port (on the router) and also a wireless one connected. My problem is that when i try to download large files, the WAN port hangs and looses connection. I have tried a couple of times with the router standing and lying down. I can download for a longer amount of time when it's lies down but it still disconnects and i have to reboot the router (it's only the WAN port that dies). As long as the download does not exceed 10MB it works fine, but as fast as i get 20MB or more the WAN ports dies after a little time.
Anyone have the same problem or have a solution.

The reasons may be caused by overheating of the chipset, a problem with hardware or a software problem.

On more little thing... i have never exceed 50MB when doenloading from WAN to LAN on the router.

Antiloop
18-12-2003, 17:16
is this when you download from wan to lan (a pc connected with wire) or wlan ?

i've regular downloaded like 95 x 50mb files from wan to lan, and no problems occured

recently i have not done this anymore, at that time i was using firmware 1.6.4.8

ps. i'm at chello (150kb/sec max) and dhcp, no pppoe

Phantome
18-12-2003, 17:24
it's when i download from WAN to LAN (WAN to wire), but i have got the same problem with WAN to WLAN

Firmwire i use is 1.6.5.3 (but have got the same problem with other firmware)

btw: i don't need to reboot the router but release and renew the ip for the WAN

Technik
18-12-2003, 17:59
If the UNEX switch is manageable, try to set the port connected to Router's WAN port to fix speed.

Phantome
18-12-2003, 18:04
It's a tabel switch, not manageable

Technik
19-12-2003, 11:04
OK - so I would try to replace the switch then (or change the topology if possible to eliminate the switch at all).
I have never opened my own router so I don't know what's the current chipset temperature but I don't think the overheating is causing that problem. Maybe you can try to open it and check...

bramfm
27-12-2003, 21:36
Originally posted by Phantome

On more little thing... i have never exceed 50MB when doenloading from WAN to LAN on the router.
Maybe the size of the file does not matter, but the transfer time. I have seen this problem with other routers as well, especially with ftp; when the NAT-table was expired and updated during the transfer, causing the connection to die. Also seen; if the DHCP lease time is low, the connection can crash while concurrently updating the IPaddress and transferring.
Hopefully this information can help you to find the root of your problem.

MajleK
07-01-2004, 18:11
The same thing. After getting an IP from DHCP the gateway stops responding to ping. I have to release/renew several times to get it pinged, some tricks dances and musing helps, all the sympthoms are the same but one about continious downloading - I've got no problem with downloading if the connection is already established.

Phantome
13-01-2004, 19:04
i haven't tried in router mode yet, but in Home Gateway both setting a static ip or getting it from a dhcp server the wan port dies. Everything else works, it's only the the WAN that stops responding. And there is nothing in the logs.
Another thing is that if i do not download files, only surf around then there is no problem. But when i start to download files the WAN port stops responding after some time. (Last time i tested i downloaded 3 files (15MB each) with no problem, but when i started on the 4 one, the wan port died. Did only get 4400kb/s from a server i usualy get 100MB from)

(When the WAN port is dead i mean that i have lost all connections from outside ).

Phantome
14-01-2004, 02:07
OK. I have just tested with the customized firmware and was playing around in the telnet session.
By using the command <et> you can change the speed of the wan port. ex: et -i eth1 speed 100full
This works fine for me at least my wan port don't die.
So the solution is to set the wan port speed to 10half, 10full, 100half or 100full. As soon as i put it to auto the port dies again.

But i still can't get more than 4300kB/s (WAN to LAN(wire))
(Transferred 1 file totaling 805.77 MB in 03:11 (4,308.99 KBps))
And when i'm downloading at this speed i have trouble to do anything else... pinging an ip (ex: www.vg.no) will just time out.

(ksoftirqd_CPU0 is using around 80% of the resources and 7-8% is used by 7 other things that uses resources at that moment)

By the way, you have to run <et -i eth1 speed 100full> everytime you reboot the router, but i think you can save it by running these commands. So it's done automaticlly after it reboots.
(Please correct me if i'm wrong)

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full"
nvram commit

At least it's a temporary solution for this problem.

Oleg
14-01-2004, 10:17
OK. I have just tested with the customized firmware and was playing around in the telnet session.
By using the command <et> you can change the speed of the wan port. ex: et -i eth1 speed 100full
This works fine for me at least my wan port don't die.
So the solution is to set the wan port speed to 10half, 10full, 100half or 100full. As soon as i put it to auto the port dies again.

But i still can't get more than 4300kB/s (WAN to LAN(wire))
(Transferred 1 file totaling 805.77 MB in 03:11 (4,308.99 KBps))
And when i'm downloading at this speed i have trouble to do anything else... pinging an ip (ex: www.vg.no) will just time out.

(ksoftirqd_CPU0 is using around 80% of the resources and 7-8% is used by 7 other things that uses resources at that moment)

By the way, you have to run <et -i eth1 speed 100full> everytime you reboot the router, but i think you can save it by running these commands. So it's done automaticlly after it reboots.
(Please correct me if i'm wrong)

nvram commit

At least it's a temporary solution for this problem.

Seems, you've a broken device on the other side of the link. As for performance, seems 4308 is maximum that you can get from the unit... But that's not bad for the 125 MHz box. It's utilizing 40% of the ethernet link.
BTW, there is a little chance that we can impove the performance by changing the et driver - they've ifdef for the code which queues the interrupts to the softirq or dispatch them immediately(btw, this can also reduce the performance) - just try...
As for nvram commands - you are right.

Phantome
14-01-2004, 13:33
Think it's stupid from ASUS side to say that the WAN port is 10/100Mb when you can't get more than around 40Mb.

"Seems, you've a broken device on the other side of the link."
If you meen it's the switch the router is connected to , i can't agre with you. that switch has had a dozen of devices connected to it, and there is more than 4 TB each month running true it. And the only device that has failed to stay "connected" is the asus router. So i'll rather think that this is an error from the router.

Btw Oleg your custome firmware saved my day. Thank you :)

Antiloop
14-01-2004, 18:30
Think it's stupid from ASUS side to say that the WAN port is 10/100Mb when you can't get more than around 40Mb.

"Seems, you've a broken device on the other side of the link."
If you meen it's the switch the router is connected to , i can't agre with you. that switch has had a dozen of devices connected to it, and there is more than 4 TB each month running true it. And the only device that has failed to stay "connected" is the asus router. So i'll rather think that this is an error from the router.

Btw Oleg your custome firmware saved my day. Thank you :)

my opinion it that it's caused because BOTH devices are auto-switching

this happends when connected with some cablemodems too (motorola if i'm right)

njs
14-01-2004, 20:47
Originally posted by Antiloop
my opinion it that it's caused because BOTH devices are auto-switching

this happends when connected with some cablemodems too (motorola if i'm right)

And US Robotics also.
But in USR you can go to the web administration and set the port to whatever you want. and in this way the router behaves right.
I had this problem also.

Bye

Antiloop
15-01-2004, 00:41
Originally posted by njs
And US Robotics also.
But in USR you can go to the web administration and set the port to whatever you want. and in this way the router behaves right.
I had this problem also.

Bye

yes well.. now we know why some units do this... (becoz of the autosensing shit at both sides) and it's fixable by entering the command like phantome said above

so it should just be a matter for asus to add this somewhere in the menus

Tanguero
11-03-2004, 09:08
I'm having a similar problem, running the ASUS in AP mode and linked a 8 port SMC EZ 10/100 switch via uplink port to the LAN side of the ASUS. when copying files from a server on the SMC to a PC on the ASUS LAN the AP locks up if the data is larger than about 20MB.

Antiloop
12-03-2004, 00:12
Originally posted by Tanguero
I'm having a similar problem, running the ASUS in AP mode and linked a 8 port SMC EZ 10/100 switch via uplink port to the LAN side of the ASUS. when copying files from a server on the SMC to a PC on the ASUS LAN the AP locks up if the data is larger than about 20MB.

lock your port then to a fixed speed.
I assume that crappy smc thing is autosensing, at least the 5 port version is

Tanguero
15-03-2004, 11:53
Yup, the crappy (but stable (+1 year uptime w no reset)) 8port SMC is autosensing and cannot be locked. But I can't find the page on the ASUS to lock the speed.

Technik
16-03-2004, 12:05
Originally posted by Tanguero
Yup, the crappy (but stable (+1 year uptime w no reset)) 8port SMC is autosensing and cannot be locked. But I can't find the page on the ASUS to lock the speed.
Enter the command (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) here: http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp + click Refresh (ENTER does not work).
For permanent speed change follow instructions on previous page: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&postid=394#post394

Royan
17-03-2004, 13:56
I tried the (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full) command on my wl-500g connected to a D_Link DI-604, and the Asus Wan port died...

I had to set it to (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) before it worked...

I can't figure out why it didn't take the full 100 speed, as the D-Link shouldn't have any problems with that speed, but it doesn't matter... At least I'm rid of the wan port dying on me...

Royan

Technik
17-03-2004, 15:28
Originally posted by Royan
I tried the (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full) command on my wl-500g connected to a D_Link DI-604, and the Asus Wan port died...

I had to set it to (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) before it worked...

I can't figure out why it didn't take the full 100 speed, as the D-Link shouldn't have any problems with that speed, but it doesn't matter... At least I'm rid of the wan port dying on me...

Royan

Well, I am sorry for the confusion - I did not remember the difference between WAN and LAN ports of WL-500b/g. I saw somewhere that WAN port supports only 10Mbit transfer speed (despite the fact that 10/100 is specified in most sources). It's strange as I have seen WAN/LAN speed test results at about 14Mbit/s.
I have edited my previous post anyway.

Royan
17-03-2004, 19:22
No confusion intended... :)
It was just an observation on my behalf, and maybe a warning to others who had their wan port die using the 100full command.

Anyway the spec on the uk.asus.com site says:
WAN Ethernet Port Support: Both Ethernet and 802.3 with Max. Bit Rate 10/100 Mbps with auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
Connector: RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT
so it should work at 100mbps...

Royan

chase
19-03-2004, 14:11
Any command in telent could force WAN port into 10Mb/s?
It's more and more difficule to find a 10Mb hub.....
Olag could help about this?

chase
24-03-2004, 15:23
Reply by myself:

New ASUS 1.7.5.6 include "WAN Connection Speed: " option in "IP Config - WAN & LAN" menu.

But even set to 10Mbps half-duplex, the ADSL modem still show 100Mpbs......

Technik
24-03-2004, 16:01
chase: reboot both devices (router and modem as well).
Telnet is not running by default on 1.7.5.6.
The telnet command for WAN port speed setting in customized firmware was published few lines above - just open your eyes to see it... :D

Antiloop
24-03-2004, 16:03
Originally posted by chase
Reply by myself:

New ASUS 1.7.5.6 include "WAN Connection Speed: " option in "IP Config - WAN & LAN" menu.

But even set to 10Mbps half-duplex, the ADSL modem still show 100Mpbs......

did you try restoring configuration defaults already ?
maybe some data is fucked, because of the differences in the firmwares

Technik
24-03-2004, 16:12
Originally posted by Royan

WAN Ethernet Port Support: Both Ethernet and 802.3 with Max. Bit Rate 10/100 Mbps with auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
Connector: RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT
so it should work at 100mbps...

Yes that's true. But there was a note in original manual rev. 1.0 that only 10mbps speed was supported on WAN port...

chase
25-03-2004, 01:43
did you try restoring configuration defaults already ?
maybe some data is fucked, because of the differences in the firmwares

Yes, before reset defaults, I can't change WAN port speed.

Biff
28-03-2004, 21:58
I'm starting to doubt whether the 'WAN Connection Speed: ' option in 'IP Config - WAN & LAN' currently (firmware 1.7.5.6) actually does anything at all :(.

Like some of you I've also been experiencing reliability problems when sending large files through the WAN port on my WL500g, which is usually connected to an inexpensive unmanaged home switch. So I plugged it into a Cisco 2950 and tried ftping a 3 GB file repeatedly using various port setting combinations. I observed the following:

Asus set to 100 FD / Cisco set to 100 FD: ~1850 KB/s
Asus 100 FD / Cisco 10 FD: ~980 KB/s
Asus 10 FD / Cisco 100 FD: ~1850 KB/s
Asus 100 FD / Cisco Auto: WAN port dies after a while
Asus Auto / Cisco 10 FD: ~980 KB/s
Asus Auto / Cisco 100 FD: ~1850 KB/s
Asus Auto / Cisco Auto: WAN port dies after a while

In other words, it doesn't really appear to matter what speed I set the Asus at. It will still do faster than 10 Mbit even if set to 10 (ie it will do 100, though I hesitate to call it that :D). And having the Asus set to auto is not necessarily a problem. But if the switch is set to auto it will eventually kill the WAN port. And if your switch has no way to enable a fixed port speed setting that may be a serious problem.

Now, the transfer can take a long time to fail (once it made it all the way to 2.3 GB) and unfortunately I don't have time to verify these results with many repeated tests. So who knows - maybe I was just lucky for the other transfers to complete. But as it is the trend looks to me like the Asus port settings means dick all.

I have yet to try Oleg's telnet firmware to see if changing the setting that way does anything. I'm hoping we might see a 1.7.5.6-based version at some point ;)

Biff
28-03-2004, 22:09
- never mind -

Antiloop
28-03-2004, 22:33
Originally posted by Biff
Err make that KB/s, wish I could edit my message

eh just click the edit button ?

Biff
28-03-2004, 23:07
Oh yeah I was clicking the one at the top silly me

Oleg
29-03-2004, 10:07
Guys, the selection is not used by the firmware. ASUS guys seems performs poor testing of their stuff...

Biff
30-03-2004, 00:33
Yeah, I'm now sure the web interface setting doesn't do anything. The 'et' command does the job though.

Still, the WAN port dying in auto mode is a pretty big issue. Because auto mode is really the only thing consumer-level switches and other devices do.

Mixing a fixed setting on one side of an UTP link (the Asus for instance) with an auto setting on the other side (switch) is not a general solution. It may improve things for some people but it's inherently unpredictable and unreliable.

For example, like Royan's, my WAN port also dies instantly when I set 100full on the Asus (switch on auto). 10full appears to work, but the Cisco reveals that the autodetection actually ends up on 10 half. And the mismatch causes terrible upstream and simultaneous performance.

As it is I can't use this router optimally with my normal unmanaged switch. But it works really well with both sides of the link at a fixed setting.

Thorz
12-04-2004, 00:44
Originally posted by Technik
Enter the command (usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full) here: http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp + click Refresh (ENTER does not work).
For permanent speed change follow instructions on previous page: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&postid=394#post394

Hi m8s.

I am having a situation here, please give me a hand.

I have to lock the WAN port at 100full but something is going very wrong, here is what I am doing after the firmware upgrade and power cycling, maybe I am not doing it correctly?

1. In http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp I am writting:

*I press refresh* Nothing comes in the output. After this I type:

nvram commit

*I press refresh* Nothing comes in the output.

After this I powercycle the router. The result is that it doesn't connect to the internet anymore, it doesn't make any link with my Zyxel ADSL modem.

What is the problem here?

Thank you guys, I am really needing this because my WAN port dies on me if it is let as AUTO.

Antiloop
12-04-2004, 01:42
Originally posted by Thorz
Hi m8s.

I am having a situation here, please give me a hand.

I have to lock the WAN port at 100full but something is going very wrong, here is what I am doing after the firmware upgrade and power cycling, maybe I am not doing it correctly?

1. In http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp I am writting:

*I press refresh* Nothing comes in the output. After this I type:

nvram commit

*I press refresh* Nothing comes in the output.

After this I powercycle the router. The result is that it doesn't connect to the internet anymore, it doesn't make any link with my Zyxel ADSL modem.

What is the problem here?

Thank you guys, I am really needing this because my WAN port dies on me if it is let as AUTO.

try selecting 10half 100half 10full.. maybe one of those will work?

Thorz
12-04-2004, 03:23
try selecting 10half 100half 10full.. maybe one of those will work?

But it doesn't supossed to give some feedback after you press refresh?
I have given also the commands using telnet, with the same result. I powercycle the router and the ADSL modem (both OFF, then I turn ON the modem, after 30 seconds the router). Modem lights for a while the connection at 100Mbps, and then the light goes OFF (I supossed this is when the router tries the speed commands.

I have tried with 10full also and I get the same results, when connecting to the router's web GUI I get the message:

Internet connection status:
Type: Automatic IP
Reason: Cable is not attached.

My ADSL modem is a Zyxel Prestige 600 and I don't have the possibility to manage it for controlling the link speed.

I can access the router after login in. Here is the system log from the web GUI:

Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g syslog.notice klogd: klogd started: BusyBox v1.00-pre7 (2004.04.08-18:44+0000)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: CPU revision is: 00024000
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Loading BCM4710 MMU routines.
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Primary instruction cache 8kb, linesize 16 bytes (2 ways)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Primary data cache 4kb, linesize 16 bytes (2 ways)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Linux version 2.4.20 (root@omnibook) (gcc version 3.0 20010422 (prerelease) with bcm4710a0 modifications) #14 Mon Mar 29 00:07:24 MSD 2004
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Determined physical RAM map:
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: memory: 01000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: On node 0 totalpages: 4096
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: zone(0): 4096 pages.
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: zone(1): 0 pages.
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: zone(2): 0 pages.
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock2 noinitrd init=/linuxrc
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: CPU: BCM4710 rev 0 at 125 MHz
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Calibrating delay loop... 82.94 BogoMIPS
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Buffer-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Page-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Checking for 'wait' instruction... unavailable.
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Fixing up bus 0
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Fixing up bridge
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Fixing up bus 1
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Initializing RT netlink socket
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: Starting kswapd
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.notice klogd: NTFS driver v1.1.22 [Flags: R/O]
Jan 1 01:00:12 WL500g user.warn klogd: pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table v1.1 at 0x0040
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Physically mapped flash: Swapping erase regions for broken CFI table.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: number of CFI chips: 1
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Flash device: 0x400000 at 0x1fc00000
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Physically mapped flash: cramfs filesystem found at block 944
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Creating 4 MTD partitions on "Physically mapped flash":
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x00000000-0x00040000 : "pmon"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x00040000-0x003f0000 : "linux"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x000ec15c-0x003f0000 : "rootfs"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x003f0000-0x00400000 : "nvram"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_conntrack version 2.1 (128 buckets, 1024 max) - 344 bytes per conntrack
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_conntrack_pptp version 1.9 loaded
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_nat_pptp version 1.5 loaded
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ipt_time loading
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Algorithmics/MIPS FPU Emulator v1.5
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: eth0: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.50.21.10
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: eth1: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.50.21.10
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Enabling device 01:02.0 (0004 -> 0006)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: eth2: Broadcom BCM43XX 802.11 Wireless Controller 3.50.21.10 (Compiled in . at 20:53:00 on Jan 21 2004)
Jan 1 01:00:18 WL500g user.notice dhcp client: deconfig: lease is lost
Jan 1 01:00:20 WL500g user.notice dhcp client: bound IP address 62.101.xxx.xx from server 62.101.xxx.xx
Jan 1 01:00:21 WL500g daemon.warn dnsmasq[469]: failed to drop root privs
Jan 1 01:00:25 WL500g user.warn klogd: lp driver: get device ID
Jan 1 01:00:25 WL500g user.warn klogd: neg fail
Jan 1 01:00:29 WL500g user.warn klogd: Register User Space Key Handler : 630 0

The only way to get internet access back (that both devices link again) is to resset the router to factory defaults.

Please guys, any help is apreciated. I don't know what is going wrong, and my Linux experience is very limited.

EDIT: I have tried with these commands in the System Command screen:

/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100full
/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 100half
/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full
/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10half

All of them make the link lights go black in both sides (router / modem). If I give the command /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed auto the lights go ON again and everything continues working.

Maybe I could try an official firmware? Or a previous one? I don't know what to do!

Oleg
12-04-2004, 07:14
Don't worry - everything is ok. During the speed change brcm driver resets the transmitter to renegotiate settings, that's why led is turned off. But once any network packet traverse the interface it will light up again. Just checked this.

Styno
12-04-2004, 11:58
I have a Zyxel Prestige 600 as well, and I experience no problems with it at all. I haven't looked at how the leds are flashing/behaving during startup though.

My Zyxel ADSL modem is configured as bridge.

Thorz
12-04-2004, 15:55
Here is a estrange thing: If I open a command prompt and let running for example ping www.vg.no -t the connection doesn't break. It also happens that if I restart the machine (XP Pro) the connection works again (the machine, not the router). Can this be caused by other thing in the XP box and not for the known auto-negotiation issue in the router?

@Styno: I cannot configure the Zyxel, I have gotten it from my ISP so I don't own it. I am not sure in what mode the modem is configured, it just gives me an IP. I have seen the serial port in the back but have never tried to play with it.

Do you use any special configuration in the router side? Do you lock the speed of the port in any of the 2 devices, or do you let them negotiate it automatically (100Mbps)? What firmware are you using?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Thorz
12-04-2004, 21:44
Originally posted by Oleg
Don't worry - everything is ok. During the speed change brcm driver resets the transmitter to renegotiate settings, that's why led is turned off. But once any network packet traverse the interface it will light up again. Just checked this.

In my case it totally losses contact. No packet passing the interface wakes it up. The link is totally down until I give the command /usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed auto, after this both lights (router and modem) start working again and I can contact the internet.

Styno
13-04-2004, 09:58
I cannot configure the Zyxel, I have gotten it from my ISP so I don't own it. I am not sure in what mode the modem is configured, it just gives me an IP. I have seen the serial port in the back but have never tried to play with it.

Do you use any special configuration in the router side? Do you lock the speed of the port in any of the 2 devices, or do you let them negotiate it automatically (100Mbps)? What firmware are you using?

Thanks a lot for the help. Is the IP you get from the router a unique internet address or a private address like 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx? If it's unique then your modem is configured to work as a bridge otherwise it acts as an DHCP server to your local network. Anyway, this has nothing to do with your port problems, but if your modem acts like an DHCP server it is possible to configure it using telnet. To do so: Open a telnet session to your modem' ip address. You can find this address by typing the following command in a Command prompt on your XP machine: ipconfig. This will show your IP settings and you should look for the 'default gateway'. If your telnet session asks for an username/password try 'admin/1234'. You could also try to browse to your router and provide the username/password if it asks for it.

If your modem is configured to function as a bridge then you'll have to use a serial cable to configure the modem using hyperterminal for example.

I use the latest firmware provided by my ISP (demon) and haven't changed any LAN port setting on my modem. The modem and router are connected at 100 Mbs at full duplex.

Thorz
13-04-2004, 18:23
@Styno: Modem is configured as a bridge then. I get a public IP address, the DHCP is the one from my ISP.
I am still testing, I have uninstalled NOD32 antivirus, I think this program could be related to the problems that I am having. I will let the thing run for some days and will post again.
I have let it stay in auto-negotiating.
The commands for changing the speed of the port deffinitely don't work in my Asus router, they kill the port.

Thorz
14-04-2004, 11:47
Hi m8s.

This is definitely not working. Now after letting the thing working all the night I have found it again dead, but I get contact with the Asus router then it means that it is the known issue. The big problem is that I cannot change the port speed! As I have told the port dies immediately after writing the command, only giving the command for auto revives the port again.
This has been a nightmare, what can I do guys?

Technik
14-04-2004, 12:14

What is your router's HW revision? 1.0?
Did you try to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure again?

You can also try to connect some hub between the router and modem.

Oleg
14-04-2004, 13:24
Hi m8s.

This is definitely not working. Now after letting the thing working all the night I have found it again dead, but I get contact with the Asus router then it means that it is the known issue. The big problem is that I cannot change the port speed! As I have told the port dies immediately after writing the command, only giving the command for auto revives the port again.
As last resort try the following - flash your router with ASUS 1.7.5.6 firmware and then try setting the port speed using the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp. If this works for you - let me know.
You can also try using wlanutil stuff like this:
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 0 ---- for auto
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 1 ---- 10 half
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 2 ---- 10 full
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 3 ---- 100 half
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 4 ---- 100 full

Antiloop
14-04-2004, 13:33
Hi m8s.

do you have the possibility to try another wl500g unit?

very strange that none of the commands except auto work, as auto negotiates and sets a speed for a certain time

narcis
14-04-2004, 15:33
I'm having the same problem as others here, WAN port is instable and often dies after heavy network traffic. Hardware version is 1.0, firmware version is the newest custom one. Can I return the faulty device to ASUS to get a working one that has no problems like that? Always having to hard-reset the router is really bugging me.

Thorz
14-04-2004, 15:54
What is your router's HW revision? 1.0?
Did you try to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure again?

You can also try to connect some hub between the router and modem.

Hardware version 1.0 (taken from the firmware page).
I have done the reset already after installing your firmware.
I have no hub available. Aren't almost all new hubs auto sensing too (the cheap ones).
I really like to meka this work without adding more hardware.

Thank you.

Technik
14-04-2004, 17:35
Hardware version 1.0 (taken from the firmware page).
I have done the reset already after installing your firmware.
I have no hub available. Aren't almost all new hubs auto sensing too (the cheap ones).
I really like to meka this work without adding more hardware.
Thank you.

Sometimes you need some additional hardware for TEST purpose only - if you can't even borrow it for few days, that's a problem.
Many hubs works fine with the ASUS in autonegotiation mode. But maybe the problem is somewhere else - it's strange to me that connection is restored after the workstation restart.
If you connect the modem to the workstation directly - does it work OK?

Perhaps you can also contact your provider and ask for the modem:
- firmware upgrade
- bridge mode deactivation
- replacement

Thorz
14-04-2004, 18:12
Sometimes you need some additional hardware for TEST purpose only - if you can't even borrow it for few days, that's a problem.
Many hubs works fine with the ASUS in autonegotiation mode. But maybe the problem is somewhere else - it's strange to me that connection is restored after the workstation restart.
If you connect the modem to the workstation directly - does it work OK?

Perhaps you can also contact your provider and ask for the modem:
- firmware upgrade
- bridge mode deactivation
- replacement

The modem works perfect if connected directly to the computer. The wprkstation restart is not working anymopre, this has worked one time in the past but could not reproduce the thing. Renewing the IP via the router interface does work.

I don't have another WL500g for testing, not a hub either, very difficult.

Will flash with official firmware and try the commands. Thank you guys

Thorz
15-04-2004, 16:56
Originally posted by Oleg
As last resort try the following - flash your router with ASUS 1.7.5.6 firmware and then try setting the port speed using the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp. If this works for you - let me know.
You can also try using wlanutil stuff like this:
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 0 ---- for auto
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 1 ---- 10 half
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 2 ---- 10 full
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 3 ---- 100 half
wlanutil ethsetx eth1 speed 4 ---- 100 full

I have flashed to the Asus firmware and could not make it work either. Port dies inmediately after any command but the auto one.

I have tried also wlanutil, port doesn't die but every command from 1 to 4 gives as a result 100 in the system command answer box. No change in the lights of the modem indicating a change to 10Mb/s. I have tried also with "reboot" command without any difference. Damn! What is wrong with this £#@%@ router?

Technik
15-04-2004, 17:39
I have flashed to the Asus firmware and could not make it work either. Port dies inmediately after any command but the auto one.

I have tried also wlanutil, port doesn't die but every command from 1 to 4 gives as a result 100 in the system command answer box. No change in the lights of the modem indicating a change to 10Mb/s. I have tried also with "reboot" command without any difference. Damn! What is wrong with this £#@%@ router?
:) Take it easy... ;) What happens if you unplug the eth. cable from the modem and try to configure the WAN port? The same behaviour (result 100 answered)? I would also try to connect the WAN port to your workstation and test the connectivity and speed change by this way...
IMHO the problem lies in the modem more likely... ;)

Oleg
15-04-2004, 17:42
Just for testing: try to connect your WAN port directly to LAN port and check does it work for you. :) I.e. it should start blinking after the speed changes.

Thorz
15-04-2004, 21:24
:) Take it easy... ;) What happens if you unplug the eth. cable from the modem and try to configure the WAN port? The same behaviour (result 100 answered)? I would also try to connect the WAN port to your workstation and test the connectivity and speed change by this way...
IMHO the problem lies in the modem more likely... ;)

O am sorry, I am really pissed about this issue. This is the 2nd. router that presents this kkind of issue (dropping connection), first it was an smc. The modem works ok connected to the pc. I will try all this things tomorrow (your advice and Oleg's), now I am really tired. Thanks for your help m8s.

Thorz
16-04-2004, 17:38
Report guys:

First thanks a lot to all that have give me ideas, specially Oleg and Technik that have give me super good tips to diagnose the problem. I have made it to work, this is what I have done:

All this was first done with last official firmware:

1. Using Oleg's idea I connected a normal network cable (the one that came with the router) between WAn port and a LAN port in the router, after giving the speed command I could see the light going off but it returned and stayed O, that was nice.

2. For testing that the change was real and that the speed was the one of the command I connected the WAN port as Technik said to my PC and could see that the speed was 10Mbps indeed. Things were going better :)
There was always some delay when the WAN port was not put in auto, 10 and 100 full took some time but kicked in at the end (maybe 20-30 seconds delay after the command the light started to blink again)

3. Everything was indicating a problem in the modem, then I decided to test it connecting it directly to my PC and changing the speed of the 3Com network card from Windows, the modem answered without any delay and I could change the speed (without needing a restart or physical cable disconnection between the devices) several times between 100 and 10 full, it always worked.

4. I decided to try again between modem and router without any success, and connecting the WAN port to the PC always worked (with the small delay).

5. For testing proposes I decided to change to a cross-link cable (I was using a normal one) because both devices support this type of cable also. To my big surprise this time the speed change worked, but it takes a big delay (around 1 minute) for the link to become active (lights in both devices indicating a 10Mbps connection)

6. I decided to flash the router again with Oleg's last firmware. I used the permanent speed change commands:

nvram set bootCmd0="/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full"
nvram commit

and power cycled the router. First it links at 100Mbps (auto) and after 30 seconds the link goes down. After 1 minute the link comes up at 10Mbps :)

Now I will configure the router again and will backup it to a file.

I hope that this resolves the WAN port dieing problem, at least I can rest a little for now.

Questions:
a) When you flash firmware do you need to enter again the nvram commands?
b) When you save the configuration to a .cfg file, do this file also contains the nvram commands? Or do you need to input them again after a restore?

Thank you very much for your patience and good ideas guys.

hcurreem
17-04-2004, 18:11
Hi guys,

I just bought the WL-500G for a few days. Again, I found myself suffer from this "WAN port dies after a while" symdrome. I tried upgrade to the ASUS 1.7.5.6. I didn't try the

commands yet. But I did try setting the speed of the WAN through the ASUS web interface. Are they the same? Or do I really have to enter those Linux commands? (as I am not linux experties, I am afraid to try).

I found that my connection works fine when traffic is low. But when I use some high traffic appz like BT, it dies down after an hour or 2.

Is my device defective?

PS: I just reflash the firmware to Oleg's 1.7.5.6-2 and still suffer the same problem.

Thorz
17-04-2004, 18:42
Originally posted by hcurreem
Hi guys,

I just bought the WL-500G for a few days. Again, I found myself suffer from this "WAN port dies after a while" symdrome. I tried upgrade to the ASUS 1.7.5.6. I didn't try the

commands yet. But I did try setting the speed of the WAN through the ASUS web interface. Are they the same? Or do I really have to enter those Linux commands? (as I am not linux experties, I am afraid to try).

You have to enter the commands, it is not difficult if you use the web interface (read the hole thread) and use the refresh button. The setting in the web page doesn't work.

Technik
18-04-2004, 11:01

Questions:
a) When you flash firmware do you need to enter again the nvram commands?
No, you don't. The configuration is preserved but the recommendation is to reset the router to factory defaults after the upgrade anyway.

b) When you save the configuration to a .cfg file, do this file also contains the nvram commands? Or do you need to input them again after a restore?
Yes, it does. Just explore the saved file... ;)

Thank you very much for your patience and good ideas guys.
You are welcome. :) And thanks for your detailed report! It may be very helpful for somebody else with the similar problem.

weed|boy
18-04-2004, 17:07
Hi!

I have the same problem like other people with downloading larger files and then WAN is timed out for this connection...

I tried the last firmware... and all 4 options for port forceing. But it doesnt work... my cable modem is Lancity.

I really don't know what to do :(

oCe
24-04-2004, 21:07
Same problem here, though, it's not specificly a problem that occurs after a lot of traffic. I suffer from this problem -for as far as I can recall- since my ISP (@Home) replaced my old Com21-modem for a Motorola.

Sometimes the connection works perfectly for 2 days, sometimes the connection dies after 30 minutes, doesn't matter what kind of traffic I have at that moment. Internal network (both cable and wireless) still work without any problems, can connect to the router with a problem too.

Though, the WAN-port seems to be dead, can't ping anything else then the ip's I have in my LAN. When I reset the router, either though the web-acces or by manual power-on/power-off, the problem is gone; though, this shouldn't be a solution, it's quite annoying.

Tried the 1.6.x.x firmwares, tried the latest official 1.7.5.6 firmware and tried forcing the speed of the WAN-port to 10 or 100; didn't help. Contacted my ISP, when my internet connection was gone; they could contact my modem, so that isn't the problem. Besides, problem doesn't occur when I connect the modem directly to a pc. Must be the router.

Hopefully a solution and/or thing I (we!) can try!

Antiloop
25-04-2004, 02:58
as you own a motorola, it is for sure the speed negotiation

try selecting 10half, 10full, 100half, 100full too...

or ask @home if the can fix the speed, don't know exactly how manageble the motorola is

oCe
25-04-2004, 10:13
Well I asked them, what kind of speed the Motorola supported, on the phone; they indeed confirmed that the Motorola suppors both 10/100, which the Com21 doesn't.

I tried setting the speed of the WAN-port through the web-interface, but that didnt' help. Though, I read here that entering the command manually might work better?

paulkwan
01-05-2004, 07:21
i'm newbie of 500g and find the pppoe disconnect when during heavy traffic (with ftp & bt, etc). normal mail & browsing is ok.

i've update to 1.7.5.6 official firmware, and my current WAN speed is left AUTO in web interface, should i set it to 10Full ? is the web interface not working as mention ?

i've no idea of how to telnet or enter the command u guy mentions, and how to flash the custom firmware, can anyone point me to a step by step guide for newbire like me ?

Thanks, and lucky to find this forum before i give up my 500g :)

Technik
01-05-2004, 15:05
The update to customized version is the same as standard firmware upgrade - perform it from the web configurator.
To Telnet the router (after you have the firmware updated to customized one) just go to command line and enter telnet 192.168.1.1. You will be requested for admin name and password then - use the same as for web configurator access. Once you get a prompt ~#, you can enter commands as described in this forum.
You can also enter the commands to web command line http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp but do not forget to click REFRESH button (ENTER does not work).

paulkwan
01-05-2004, 18:37
thx technik,

after your explain, and re-read the thread i understand now, and follows the summary of thorn and seems working :)

btw, i've experience a LAN-to-LAN error message b4 i made the port speed change, during a backup of over 20G files from a PC to Server both connected to the LAN side, WinXP says "delay write error, the file maybe corrupted ..." something like that. which i never see with my old router. and i saw u guy previous mention fixing LAN speed, what commond can do that ? any experience with fixing the LAN port speed ?

i suppose the "/usr/sbin/et -i eth1 speed 10full" change the WAN port only.

btw, when i creating printer port in a PC, i sometimes saw the download upload speed drop to 0, is this normal ?

benhodg
03-05-2004, 14:26
I have experienced similar dropping of connections etc. In my case browsing was fine, but download of anything large stopped after 1min. Checking the status log I saw that the asus was re-aquiring the WAN DHCP address from the modem every minute. A quick check of the the ethernet modem I have (DLINK 300T) indicated that sure enough the default lease time is 60 seconds.

Anyway Just thought I'd mention this as it's something else to check.

likeapear
04-05-2004, 09:43
I have experienced similar dropping of connections etc. In my case browsing was fine, but download of anything large stopped after 1min. Checking the status log I saw that the asus was re-aquiring the WAN DHCP address from the modem every minute. A quick check of the the ethernet modem I have (DLINK 300T) indicated that sure enough the default lease time is 60 seconds.

Anyway Just thought I'd mention this as it's something else to check.

I have very similar problem: I'm using the asus wl500g as home gateway. WAN cable is connected to ISP (DHCP server).

--ISP device----wan----[WL500g]~~~~wlan~~~~PC1

Each 10 minutes I can see this message: "lease is lost" in wl500g's log. When I'm donwloading a large file or reading an audiostream at this moment, then downloading is stopped :( Browsing is fine. I don't know what device is using my ISP. I have tried change wan connection type from "Auto negotiation" to "10MBs full" or "100Mb full" but problem persists. Please, can somebody help me?

PS: Firmware is 1.7.5.6

Antiloop
04-05-2004, 09:50
I have very similar problem: I'm using the asus wl500g as home gateway. WAN cable is connected to ISP (DHCP server).

--ISP device----wan----[WL500g]~~~~wlan~~~~PC1

Each 10 minutes I can see this message: "lease is lost" in wl500g's log. When I'm donwloading a large file or reading an audiostream at this moment, then downloading is stopped :( Browsing is fine. I don't know what device is using my ISP. I have tried change wan connection type from "Auto negotiation" to "10MBs full" or "100Mb full" but problem persists. Please, can somebody help me?

PS: Firmware is 1.7.5.6

you could force static ip, but it could run you in problems as well. i would say give it a try, or ask your provider to change your lease time to 1 week or something.. (that's more normal)

likeapear
04-05-2004, 10:00
you could force static ip, but it could run you in problems as well. i would say give it a try, or ask your provider to change your lease time to 1 week or something.. (that's more normal)

My ISP requires to set up client computers as DHCP clients. So, I will try contact my ISP for extension of lease time. Thank you

likeapear
04-05-2004, 11:30
My ISP requires to set up client computers as DHCP clients. So, I will try contact my ISP for extension of lease time. Thank you

Before 5 minutes I have talked with my ISP. It will not make any changes of DHCP lease time :( He says this is problem of client (in this case of my router). Perhaps he is all right, because if I have asked my neighbour (he is connected via same ISP as me), he have no problem with connection. But he hasn't router, he is connected directly to ISP (DHCP klient is his PC).

So, is reason of problem really the Asus WL-500g? Or? What to do? Should I wait for firmware upgrade or sell my router instead?

Thanks!

Antiloop
04-05-2004, 13:38
the lease time of 10 minutes is the problem, when i set lease time to 10 minutes for my own (internal) clients i get problems too..
especially when transferring files etc that exceeds 10 minutes..

because the client renews it's ip

although maybe some other things can be changed: that it does not drop it's lease immediately but checks first if the ip is changed at all. if yes then drop if no then 'renew'

but i don't know if that's possible.. I assume not with normal commands.. and maybe it needs a rewrite of the eth driver (which is probably not possible cuz broadcom won't release sources..)

likeapear
04-05-2004, 14:09
the lease time of 10 minutes is the problem, when i set lease time to 10 minutes for my own (internal) clients i get problems too..

although maybe some other things can be changed: that it does not drop it's lease immediately but checks first if the ip is changed at all. if yes then drop if no then 'renew'

but i don't know if that's possible.. I assume not with normal commands.. and maybe it needs a rewrite of the eth driver (which is probably not possible cuz broadcom won't release sources..)

Thank you, Antiloop.

IP address after renew is still the same, but i'm not sure wheter i'm able to do it...:(((

IS THERE SOMEBODY WHO KNOW HOW TO DO IT?

Oleg
04-05-2004, 16:49
Please provide firmware version number & system log.

likeapear
04-05-2004, 19:55
Please provide firmware version number & system log.

Firmware version is 1.7.5.6.
System Log is attached.

Oleg, thank you for interest! Do you know how to solve my problem?

Antiloop
05-05-2004, 03:21
eh.. what sort type of line do you have anyway?

the ip they assign to you is an internal ip.. not the external ip you are using to post with

likeapear
05-05-2004, 07:33
eh.. what sort type of line do you have anyway?

the ip the assign to you is an internal ip.. not the external ip you are using to post with

It is wireless connection (antenna on roof of a building, then some device installed by ISP – probably router with DHCP server – which is wirelessly connected to internet) distributed to flats via cable. Cable is in my flat connected to WAN port of my router (ASUS).

Some messages are posted from work.

likeapear
06-05-2004, 14:19

I'm browsing firmware sources (version 1.7.5.6). I'm Win32 developer and new to linux, but I'm understand router use udhcp client, which executes a script when lease is obtained or lost. This script name is \usr\share\udhcpc\default.script and parameters passed to it means what to do (e.g. renew). This script would be solution of problem. Maybe. I'm not sure. And I'm absolutely not sure what happens, if lease is lost and renew will not performed...Holds DHCP server connection?

:mad: lonely

Antiloop
06-05-2004, 16:19
good question, i'll try to find out. but also my linux knowledge is limited and as everybody i don't have much time :mad:

likeapear
07-05-2004, 13:36
good question, i'll try to find out. but also my linux knowledge is limited and as everybody i don't have much time :mad:

Hi all,
yesterday I have upgrade to Oleg's custom firmware 1.7.5.6-2 and change WAN port speed via telnet and now all works fine. Altough since my ISP reduce the lease time to 5 minutes - they are really crazy :eek:

I'm sorry did not check this firmware sooner... Many thanks to Oleg

dark-sha
11-05-2004, 15:44
I don't get it :(
I tested all... WAN speed and so on.. the problem is: i could manage the 10half thing .Nevertheless the internet connections died with many connections (BT,Emule). I think it is a problem with the NAT Table Size (standard is 250, isn it?). I saw in other forums that they could adjust this number up to 1000 (but they have other routers).
Oleg, is it possible to customize the firmware that we can adjust the size?
I'm turning crazy, please help me.

Sorry for my bad english ;)

Oleg
11-05-2004, 16:25
Is there any error messages in the system log?

dark-sha
11-05-2004, 18:16
i've got a heavy traffic at the moment. I installed your new customized firmware x.x.x.x-3. I hope it works now. I will report my experiences here.

P.S. When i use your customized firmwares --> i can't print with my HP Deskjet 670C anymore.
greets

dark-sha

Oleg
11-05-2004, 21:20
Have you changed printer port setting to RAW?

dark-sha
12-05-2004, 06:32
My internet connection died again :confused: ....

system log:

Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g syslog.notice klogd: klogd started: BusyBox v1.00-pre7 (2004.05.10-09:00+0000)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: CPU revision is: 00024000
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Loading BCM4710 MMU routines.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Primary instruction cache 8kb, linesize 16 bytes (2 ways)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Primary data cache 4kb, linesize 16 bytes (2 ways)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Linux version 2.4.20 (root@omnibook) (gcc version 3.0 20010422 (prerelease) with bcm4710a0 modifications) #24 Mon May 3 20:52:46 MSD 2004
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Determined physical RAM map:
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: memory: 01000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: On node 0 totalpages: 4096
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: zone(0): 4096 pages.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: zone(1): 0 pages.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: zone(2): 0 pages.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock2 noinitrd init=/linuxrc
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: CPU: BCM4710 rev 0 at 125 MHz
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Calibrating delay loop... 82.94 BogoMIPS
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Buffer-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Page-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Checking for 'wait' instruction... unavailable.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Fixing up bus 0
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Fixing up bridge
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Fixing up bus 1
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Initializing RT netlink socket
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Starting kswapd
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: NTFS driver v1.1.22 [Flags: R/O]
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Amd/Fujitsu Extended Query Table v1.1 at 0x0040
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Physically mapped flash: Swapping erase regions for broken CFI table.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: number of CFI chips: 1
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Flash device: 0x400000 at 0x1fc00000
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Physically mapped flash: squashfs filesystem found at block 949
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: Creating 5 MTD partitions on "Physically mapped flash":
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x00000000-0x00040000 : "pmon"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x00040000-0x003e0000 : "linux"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x000ed760-0x003e0000 : "rootfs"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x003f0000-0x00400000 : "nvram"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.notice klogd: 0x003e0000-0x003f0000 : "config"
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_conntrack version 2.1 (128 buckets, 1024 max) - 344 bytes per conntrack
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_conntrack_pptp version 1.9 loaded
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_nat_pptp version 1.5 loaded
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: ipt_time loading
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: FAT: bogus logical sector size 42752
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: FAT: bogus logical sector size 42752
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.err klogd: NTFS: Unable to set blocksize 512.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: Algorithmics/MIPS FPU Emulator v1.5
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: eth0: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.50.21.10
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: eth1: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.50.21.10
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: PCI: Enabling device 01:02.0 (0004 -> 0006)
Jan 1 01:00:13 WL500g user.warn klogd: eth2: Broadcom BCM43XX 802.11 Wireless Controller 3.50.21.10 (Compiled in . at 20:53:00 on Jan 21 2004)
Jan 1 00:00:14 WL500g daemon.notice pppd[308]: pppd 2.4.1 started by (unknown), uid 0
Jan 1 00:00:15 WL500g daemon.notice pppd[308]: local IP address 10.0.0.2
Jan 1 00:00:15 WL500g daemon.notice pppd[308]: remote IP address 10.0.0.1
Jan 1 01:00:21 WL500g daemon.warn dnsmasq[472]: failed to drop root privs
Jan 1 00:00:24 WL500g daemon.err pppoe[509]: retryloopindex=1
Jan 1 00:00:24 WL500g daemon.notice pppd[308]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Jan 1 01:00:27 WL500g user.warn klogd: lp driver: get device ID
Jan 1 01:00:27 WL500g user.warn klogd: neg fail
Jan 1 00:00:29 WL500g daemon.err pppoe[509]: retryloopindex=1
Jan 1 01:00:31 WL500g user.warn klogd: Register User Space Key Handler : 571 0
Jan 1 00:00:39 WL500g daemon.err pppoe[509]: retryloopindex=1
Jan 1 00:00:55 WL500g daemon.warn pppd[308]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Jan 1 00:00:55 WL500g daemon.notice pppd[308]: Connection terminated.
Jan 1 00:00:59 WL500g daemon.err pppoe[509]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jan 1 00:01:05 WL500g daemon.err pppoe[584]: retryloopindex=1
Jan 1 00:01:05 WL500g daemon.notice pppd[308]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Jan 1 00:01:07 WL500g daemon.warn pppd[308]: Local IP address changed to 217.231.51.178
Jan 1 00:01:07 WL500g daemon.warn pppd[308]: Remote IP address changed to 217.5.98.179
Jan 1 01:01:07 WL500g user.notice PPPoE: connect to server since boot up for 67 seconds

2. my printer is on a remote port, i will test RAW.

Oleg
12-05-2004, 07:58
Log is fine. This is not NAT related issue as seems.
As for printers: please make everything as described in the 1.7.5.6CR2 release notes BEFORE claiming that it does not work. Thanks.

dark-sha
12-05-2004, 14:27
1. but when it's not a NAT related issue, what's the problem with my router?

2. ok it was my mistake, i'm sorry.. the printer works now.

Oleg
12-05-2004, 15:05
This is probably hardware problems. Try using cross-over cable instead of normal between your router and modem. This can probably solve your problem.

chase
13-05-2004, 14:48
My 500g up about 30 day and work without any problem after add a 10mb hub between ADSL modem.
Before I do that, 500g's wan will dead after few hours or days....
Try it. :)

dark-sha
13-05-2004, 23:21
hmm good idea, but the problem is that i have no other hub. but i could ask my friends..

dark-sha
16-05-2004, 19:04
hmm.. the same problem with a crossover cable.
I hate Asus: they do not answer!

chase
17-05-2004, 14:36
hmm.. the same problem with a crossover cable.
I hate Asus: they do not answer!

Cable is not the key, Speed is.
Use 10Mb will fix wan port dead.
If u will not use Oleg's firmware, use 10Mb hub is the only way can do that.
Of course, maybe you could fix your ADSL modem to 10Mb......

Thorz
17-08-2004, 23:29
Cable is not the key, Speed is.
Use 10Mb will fix wan port dead.
If u will not use Oleg's firmware, use 10Mb hub is the only way can do that.
Of course, maybe you could fix your ADSL modem to 10Mb......

Well, I am sorry m8, but in my case (with my hardware) CABLE makes a big difference when I lock the speed with the nvram commands. If I fix the speed to any value and I am using a straight UTP cable (have tested more than 5 ones with different sizes) when booting the router the port NEVER comes to live. It doesn't matter if I pull the cable and connect it again. I have wait until 5 minutes and the link is plain dead, BUT if I change the cable for a CROSS LINK one, after +/- 60 seconds the link comes to live. I have tested and confirmed this for these fixed speeds:
-10full
-100full

It can be an issue related to my ADSL modem (Zixel Prestige 600 series) when it is linked with the Asus router tough (as I have posted before the modem doesn't have any problems when connected directly to my PC, it changes speed without delay when linked to my 3Com LOM NIC), but the cross cable did fix it in my situation m8 (the "devices not linking" problem).

I will test with a new modem that I am expecting this week and will post then.

Thorz
20-08-2004, 18:41
I have received today an Speedstream 5100 ADSL modem from my ISP. It appears to be working ok but I still cannot use a straight cable between my Asus and the modem if I am using a fixed speed, the link simply never comes up after the router turns off the WAN port for executing the respective commands at boot. If I use the crosslink cable I get the normal disconnection time (arround 1 minute) and the connection comes nice to live after this.

I have detected an improvement since I have fixed the speed to 100full, but I am still testing and don't want to draw any conclussions yet. At least the WAN port has not died on me 2 days ago. I will download some heavy torrents this weekend and will try to not turn off the router for see how it behaves. If everything goes ok the next things that I like to try are:

1. UPnP ON again.
2. WPA istead of WEP128.
3. The wondershape firmware.

Oleg
20-08-2004, 21:35
Have you activated wondershaper?

Antiloop
20-08-2004, 21:45
I have received today an Speedstream 5100 ADSL modem from my ISP. It appears to be working ok but I still cannot use a straight cable between my Asus and the modem if I am using a fixed speed, the link simply never comes up after the router turns off the WAN port for executing the respective commands at boot. If I use the crosslink cable I get the normal disconnection time (arround 1 minute) and the connection comes nice to live after this.

I have detected an improvement since I have fixed the speed to 100full, but I am still testing and don't want to draw any conclussions yet. At least the WAN port has not died on me 2 days ago. I will download some heavy torrents this weekend and will try to not turn off the router for see how it behaves. If everything goes ok the next things that I like to try are:

1. UPnP ON again.
2. WPA istead of WEP128.

could you make a picture of that straight cable you are using?
i need picture of both Connectors so i can see the coloured wires

Thorz
05-10-2004, 13:36
could you make a picture of that straight cable you are using?
i need picture of both Connectors so i can see the coloured wires

I am sorry that I have not come back to you with the info, but I have just seen the reply, don't know what happened with forum reply notification.
I will take a pic of the cable and attach it here.

I am going to try the wondershaper now, I have just downloaded Oleg FW 1.7.5.9-5, I guess this is the correct one. Please of there is a better FW than this one tell me.

Router has been working OK, but when I have bittorrent open with 3-4 popular torrents my connection gets saturated and I cannot even ping and it is immposible to surf because I don't get answer from DNS requests I guess. I hope Wshaper helps me here. I am still figuring out what are the correct steps that I need to migrate my NVRAM commands and to activate the WShaper, this is very new stuff for me, I am reading a lot in the WIKI and in http://wl500g.dyndns.org/, but I am still very confused.

Styno
05-10-2004, 14:05
I am going to try the wondershaper now, I have just downloaded Oleg FW 1.7.5.9-5, I guess this is the correct one. Please of there is a better FW than this one tell me.1.7.5.9-CR5 is the best firmware for using Wondershaper.

Router has been working OK, but when I have bittorrent open with 3-4 popular torrents my connection gets saturated and I cannot even ping and it is immposible to surf because I don't get answer from DNS requests I guess. I hope Wshaper helps me here.Yes, Wondershaper will help you get your ping and browsing up to speed. I have ppl up- and downloading stuff while I'm playing games with 30ms pings :D. Check this topic for more info on Wondershaper: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752

I am still figuring out what are the correct steps that I need to migrate my NVRAM commands and to activate the WShaper, this is very new stuff for me, I am reading a lot in the WIKI and in http://wl500g.dyndns.org/, but I am still very confused.Yes, it takes time to sink in. But when you get he whole picture, you'll see how powerful it is :).

Thorz
14-10-2004, 17:36
Here are pics of the cable that works, it is a cross-link cable. All the other cables that I have tried and that don't work are straight ones, they are from different sources (came with different cable and adsl modems, other ones were bought, etc).

Antiloop
14-10-2004, 18:51
Here are pics of the cable that works, it is a cross-link cable. All the other cables that I have tried and that don't work are straight ones, they are from different sources (came with different cable and adsl modems, other ones were bought, etc).

i can't see it clearly but the the cable with 2.jpg as name is not a straight one

the one with OK.jpg is perhaps the cross one, but I never work with cross cables

Driek
15-10-2004, 21:37
Hi

I had the same problem.
I tried firmware 9.8.2.1 and the problem is solved

Grtz Driek

Thorz
16-10-2004, 03:59
i can't see it clearly but the the cable with 2.jpg as name is not a straight one

the one with OK.jpg is perhaps the cross one, but I never work with cross cables

They are both from the same cable m8. It is a cross one.

My actual problem is not related anymore to WAN port speed auto-negotiation but with the router rebooting itself when hammered by heavy number of connections, look here http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=806

Is there a hope that the next version of the router (WL-500gx) will deal better with heavy traffic and specially connection number like when you are using bittorrent? I have not found feedback of a home router that doesn't have problems with bittorrent specially (and maybe eMule) that can really stress a device with the amount of connections that it does (easy on the 300-500 value). The estrange thing is that the problems are visible even at a connection # of 320-360 that is way below the 1024 that I have read here the WL500g should support.