PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Now I've got a Wl-500g and am so frustrated

frankbatzen
15-03-2006, 21:17
Hi all,

in this post: http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=27665#post27665 I asked about the possibility of using a wl-500g as a wireless printserver connected to a USRobotics 9106 DSLModem/Router/Wlan-AP.

Due to the positive responses I bought one and followed the instructions in the abovementioned post to connect the wl-500g to the usrobotics 9106. I've been trying to do so for 11 hours now and still have no progress.

PLEASE HELP, i'm lost. :(

The Situation:

DSL-----USRobotics (192.168.1.1)-----PC (192.168.1.2)
..................|
...............(Wlan)
..................|
...............Wl-500G (192.168.1.5)------Printer HP Laserjet 6MP (not yet)

No WPA enabled anywhere
WEP enabled on both devices, but with correct key on both. Tried without WEP.

The UsRobotics Wlan-configuration is set to "AP-Mode: Access Point" ("Selecting Access Point enables access point functionality. Wireless bridge functionality will still be available and wireless stations will be able to associate to the AP.")

The Wl-500G is set to : System Setup/Operation Mode: Gateway
Wireless/Bridge/AP Mode: Hybrid
Wireless/Advanced/Extended Mode: Ethernet Bridge

USRobotics / WL-500G SSID: telefunken
USRobotics / WL-500G Channel: 1

WL-500G is associated to USRobotics (visible in USRobotics webinterface)

However, there is no usable connection.

I cannot ping the WL500G. Not from the PC, not from the USRobotics telnet-commandline. I can ping it, when i connect the WL-500G by ethernet to the USRobotics Lan-Port.

I made a picture of all relevant (I guess) settings of the USRobotics and the Wl-500G.

http://politbuero.dyndns.org/~gizmo/Konfiguration.jpg

PLEASE somebody help me, otherwise I'm screwed. Maybe it is rather a general networking problem (I'm a networking newbee) rather than a wireless issue?

In the course of my attempts I have learned how to use telnet or SSH to show/change settings, If you need to know any settings visible there, please ask!

Thanks so much in advance.

frankbatzen

frankbatzen
15-03-2006, 21:23
I forgot:

I've tried almost every combination of settings with these 3 firmwares:

Official Asus 1.9.2.7
Oleg's Firmware 1.9.2.7-7C
Official Asus 1.9.5.0 (on the Wl-500G now)

sodb
15-03-2006, 22:26
Have you tried to set the wl500g in Access Point mode under System Setup --> Operation mode menu? This links together wlan + 4 Lan + WAN port into a single bridge.

frankbatzen
16-03-2006, 13:06
Thanks for the hint, but that did not help either.
I've noticed that the WL-500G does not even get an IP when set to "Get IP automatically" in AP Mode, although it is associated to the UsRobotics by Wlan.

Fred
17-03-2006, 00:03
I have had also problems with my Modem and WL500g. My modem was in Ip 192.168.1.x. The WL500g has also IP 192.168.1.x Thats not good.
I have changed the WL500g in an other IP 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.10.x
That have I done by IPconfig - Wan Lan. see picture
Now it works. I don't know if this is the solution but you can try it.

frankbatzen
17-03-2006, 16:29
Thanks Fred,

I've tried your advice in AP-Mode and Gateway-Mode (System Setup). No luck.

While I had the WL-500G on the other IP-Subnet (is that what it's called? I mean WL-500G on 192.168.10.1 with the UsRobotics on 192.168.1.1) the USRobotics suddenly (and unreliably) had the Wl-500G in it's ARP-Table, however listed as "incomplete" and without MAC-adress (see picture). Does this tell anybody anything? Adding the Wl-500G to the ARP-Table of the USRobotics by telnet did not help.

Thanks. I've not given up hope.

erik_bies
19-03-2006, 21:53
First of all I would start as basic as possible, than add security: to setup switch-off temporary WEP & MAC filtering stuff. Once you have it working switch it on 1by1. This way you know where is the problem. to have your lan for a hour open is not a big risk me thinks.

anyway. I believe the settings should be:
MODE: gateway. you write you had this, but in screenies it is different
in the bridge screen: AP only
Extended Mode: ethernet bridge
IPsettings: not in your screen -> automatical IP
LAN IP settings can be empty I think
DHCP server OFF
firewall->off op de wl500g

frankbatzen
20-03-2006, 10:02
Hi Erik,

thanks for your patience.

I've tried everything you said with WEP and MAC-Filtering disabled. After I made the progress described below, I reenabled it and the progress persists, so WEP- and MAC-Filtering issues are no problem as it seems. I'll disable it again just to be sure.

Progress: With the settings you described the WL-500G shows up in the ARP-Table of the USRobotics with correct MAC-Adress and Flag "complete". It is given the IP "192.168.1.6" by the USRobotics. (see first picture)

The only difference to the previous settings was "AP-Only" in "Wireless / Bridge" settings. Before it was "Hybrid".
I did have the WL-500G in "Home Gateway" Mode all along (also in the screenshots)
I cannot leave the LAN-IP fields blank, though. I cannot access the WL-500g at the adress allocated by the USRobotics (192.168.1.6) and if I leave the fields blank in the WL-500G-settings, I cannot access it anymore. I can only access it with my notebook connected by ethernet-cable at the IP set in the Wl500g-LAN-settings.
In the screenshot below (second picture) I set the LAN -IP to 192.168.1.6 manually, it was not automatically the same as in the WAN Interface.

So there seems to be a connection, but I cannot access the wl500g over wlan.

Any more thoughts?

erik_bies
20-03-2006, 18:23
Yep, my mistake... I wrote gateway mode... I mean: Access Point mode.
You cannot access it as in Home gateway mode the firewall is active, as it now sees the wireless as WAN link, it is firewalled...

frankbatzen
21-03-2006, 11:47
Thanks so much Erik, now it works!

If anybody is trying the same, the relevant settings are as follows (in the web-interface menu from top to bottom. YOU HAVE TO SET: SYSTEM SETUP --> OPERATION MODE --> ACCESS POINT first, or the menus will be different):
Also, it is good advice to start off without Encryption or MAC-Adress-Restriction, just like Erik said. Later you can add it, if it works alright.

Wireless --> Interface:

SSID: like the Accesspoint you want to connect the WL500G to.
Channel: like the Accesspoint you want to connect the WL500G to.
Authentication System: Open System or Shared Key
WEP-Encryption: WEP-128bits

FIRST TRICK HERE: I had to enter the passphrase, copy the hex-string and paste it to the WEP-Key menu of my router, that I connected the wl500g to. just using the same passphrase on both devices did not work. Seems to be voodoo, who knows.

Wireless --> Bridge:

AP Mode: AP Only
I do have the Accesspoint I want to connect the WL500G to in the Remote Bridge list. I do not know, if this is necessary.

Wireless --> Advanced:

Extended Mode: Ethernet Bridge

IP Config --> LAN:

Get IP Automatically?: Yes

System Setup --> Operation Mode:

Access Point

Thanks again. :) Great Support. Now I hope it will run stably, but why should it not.

frankbatzen

wl500grocks
15-05-2006, 02:04
I'm using the same setup. However my PC connected to main router cannot see(ping) the printer (or the client router) that is connected to my client router (wl500g). Note that PC's connected to the client router can see the PCs on the main router.

Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks so much Erik, now it works!

If anybody is trying the same, the relevant settings are as follows (in the web-interface menu from top to bottom. YOU HAVE TO SET: SYSTEM SETUP --> OPERATION MODE --> ACCESS POINT first, or the menus will be different):
Also, it is good advice to start off without Encryption or MAC-Adress-Restriction, just like Erik said. Later you can add it, if it works alright.

Wireless --> Interface:

SSID: like the Accesspoint you want to connect the WL500G to.
Authentication System: Open System or Shared Key
WEP-Encryption: WEP-128bits

FIRST TRICK HERE: I had to enter the passphrase, copy the hex-string and paste it to the WEP-Key menu of my router, that I connected the wl500g to. just using the same passphrase on both devices did not work. Seems to be voodoo, who knows.

Wireless --> Bridge:

AP Mode: AP Only
I do have the Accesspoint I want to connect the WL500G to in the Remote Bridge list. I do not know, if this is necessary.

Wireless --> Advanced:

Extended Mode: Ethernet Bridge

IP Config --> LAN:

Get IP Automatically?: Yes

System Setup --> Operation Mode:

Access Point

Thanks again. :) Great Support. Now I hope it will run stably, but why should it not.

frankbatzen

keybd_user
17-07-2006, 11:43
I'm using the same setup. However my PC connected to main router cannot see(ping) the printer (or the client router) that is connected to my client router (wl500g). Note that PC's connected to the client router can see the PCs on the main router.

Any ideas? Please help.

Hi,

I also want to to make a similar setup.
When you mention the PC's connected to the client router you mean connected wirelessly or connect to the ethernet switch?

My idea is to connect two distant points with two Asus WL-500g.
One of them is connected trough rj45 to a ADSL modem router.
The other one is suposed to "link" with this one and is used to conect wirelessly several PC's in order to give internet access to this PC's.
It is a case of going from A to B wirelessly. (A<->B).

A is the ADSL modem router + wl-500g (distant location with a high gain directional antena :eek: ) , B is just and "interface" WL-500g to receive the signal from A and connect computers in the area with client PC's/notebooks.
(Even B must have a high gain antena ... )

Does anyone know if this is possible and what is the consequence in terms of connection speeds?

Regards,
Pedro

Fable
22-10-2006, 11:22
I've read up and down through this thread and I have one major problem.

My landlord has a Thomson Speedtouch 585 with WPA-PSK AES encryption and Hidden SSID. I've tried just about everything to get my Asus WL500g to connect to the speedtouch, but it just won't.

In Station mode (extended) my WL500g seems to lag like hell. I keep a constant pinging of my WL500g to know when I lose connection to it. Whenever in station mode with WPA-PSK on it gets about 3/6 packets through. I don't really care about station, I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm configured with Op Mode: Access Point, AP Mode: AP Only, Extended Mode: Ethernet Bridge.

I've turned off everything in Firewall Section, DHCP.

Edit: I just disabled the encryption on the Thomson and my Asus managed to connect, but as soon as the connection was made the router was unaccessible. Ping timeout all the way. Nothing...

The Wireless log page shows that it's trying to connect to SSID, but it never changes. "Connecting to ........"

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm starting to think that the Asus can't connect with WPA-PSK AES.

Any views on this would be really appreciated :)

Thanks.

Edit: Disabled encryption on Thomson and that made the WL500g connect, but as soon as it did it started to time out on pings. I got no connection whatsoever to my Asus.

max2950
14-01-2007, 08:15
I recently get my hands on an second wl500 and following this topic i successfully get it working as a client.

While experimenting i noticed the following behavior : if you configure the client to get IP automatically and if it fails to get an IP it simply takes the one that is grayed out. I.E. : if that ip is set to the same ip as your main AP (i.e. : in my case 192.168.1.1) it will result in an ip conflict.

The workarounds for this is to set the ip to manual, change it to an other one. save the settings, and then set it back to automatic.:)