PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : wl 500g and ipv6

Holli
06-06-2004, 11:11
Hello

It is possibile to write a ipv6 module for the wl-500g ?

Exirion
09-06-2004, 13:08
I assume it's enough to cross compile a kernel including the ipv6 module, and install ipv6-compatible IP utilities. If someone has tried this, I'm interested too :)

Holli
29-06-2004, 16:52
Can somebody say if it possible or not with the resources on the 500g

Oleg
29-06-2004, 17:04
Yes, it's possible. Why not?

Holli
30-06-2004, 17:23
Not so much resources !? I don`t know how much the 500g can do.

Question: Can you implentate the IPv6 module in you next firmware release?

Oleg
30-06-2004, 21:04
Not at this time, sorry. This requires number of changes, including recompiling the toolchain (namely c library).

sodb
22-08-2004, 14:45
Hello,

I would like to add the 'awk' (not for v6 but for some powerful scripting facilities :) ), 'ip', and 'ping6', applets to the OLEG 1.7.9.5 firmware.

I succeeded in adding IPv6 support (changing wl500config) and recompile kernel. The ipv6.o module is not created, so I use an openwrt version for that. using the busybox executable on http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware/app/ I can use the 'ip' applet to set and look at ipv6 addresses (ip -6 a). I can create 6over4 tunnels to a ipv6 tunnel broker. That works. However ping6 is lacking, and another of (for my purpose useless) bunch of applets are included generating a busybox of 2.6M.

I'd like to create a lean and mean busybox myself. How should I proceed? Make changed in respective config files (editors, network) of busybox and make a new patch file using diff? Or making the changes in the 1.7.9.5. busybox.patch file? Same question for the native 'ip' executable of the iproute2 package: how can I have that compiled as well?

Any suggestions? Any other users of this forum interested in ipv6 support?

Oleg
23-08-2004, 09:23
Hello,

I would like to add the 'awk' (not for v6 but for some powerful scripting facilities :) ), 'ip', and 'ping6', applets to the OLEG 1.7.9.5 firmware.

awk is way to big for custom firmware... Also, uclibc was compiled with no ipv6 so, there would be probably some problems.

I succeeded in adding IPv6 support (changing wl500config) and recompile kernel. The ipv6.o module is not created, so I use an openwrt version for that.

Check your config, you should not use any precompiled stuff.

using the busybox executable on http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware/app/ I can use the 'ip' applet to set and look at ipv6 addresses (ip -6 a). I can create 6over4 tunnels to a ipv6 tunnel broker. That works. However ping6 is lacking, and another of (for my purpose useless) bunch of applets are included generating a busybox of 2.6M.

I'd like to create a lean and mean busybox myself. How should I proceed? Make changed in respective config files (editors, network) of busybox and make a new patch file using diff?

The sequence could be as follows - compile the firmware using make, once done reconfigure busybox and make new patch:

make
cd build/busybox
make menuconfig
cd ../..
make busybox-diff
cp build/busybox*.patch .
make

you should then save resultant patch in the safe place. ;-)

Or making the changes in the 1.7.9.5. busybox.patch file? Same question for the native 'ip' executable of the iproute2 package: how can I have that compiled as well?

It's compiled but not installed. Consult firmware Makefile on how to install it.

Holli
25-08-2004, 16:20
Any suggestions? Any other users of this forum interested in ipv6 support?

Yes! ;)

(I need only the routing, no TB)

Conrado
26-08-2004, 01:38
Since SP2 for XP has come out it feels like a lot more people are getting into ipv6. Or back, as it were. SixXS and other players, are providing more services too. In holland the first native ipv6 IPSs are starting to starting to appear for the general public...

It would be nice if you beat Asus to it... :D

Conrado.

WlanMan
26-08-2004, 09:09
Eeek

I dont know whar all World wants with IPv6, it breaks compatibility, and this tunels gateways and so and look all like crazy hacks :). It´s nice to have an IP for every molekule on earth but it could had been enough to rip away some of the big unused subnets from the companys and countrys they had granted to in the early years ...

You say, V6 Providers come up ? do they grand you one IP or a small subnet of, say, 10 ip´s to your connection ? This would ne the only nice thing to have, direkt internet ip´s for more than one device, 2nd PC, maybe the frigerator or so on. But as long as you have to use NAT it is useless and v4 would be enough.

Greets

Styno
26-08-2004, 09:37
Eeek

I dont know whar all World wants with IPv6, it breaks compatibility, and this tunels gateways and so and look all like crazy hacks :). It´s nice to have an IP for every molekule on earth but it could had been enough to rip away some of the big unused subnets from the companys and countrys they had granted to in the early years ... Correct, but no way that's gonna happen. Thats why IPv6 is coming...

You say, V6 Providers come up ? do they grand you one IP or a small subnet of, say, 10 ip´s to your connection ? This would ne the only nice thing to have, direkt internet ip´s for more than one device, 2nd PC, maybe the frigerator or so on. But as long as you have to use NAT it is useless and v4 would be enough.

Greets
NAT is a hack too, designed to cope with the limited IP addresses available.

IPv6 is the way forward because there's no way the US or the big companies are giving up their rights to a disproportional amount of IP addresses. Its all about power... Thats why the Asian countries are promoting IPv6 so much and the US is doing nothing with it.

lsp
21-09-2004, 14:16
HEllo,

I am running official firmware v 1.8.1.9 on my wl500g, but I previously (before I got my asus router) had an account for a 6-to-4 tunnel with my isp which was very helpful (i am university student!).

Could you please prescribe me with the appropriate firmware version to set up ?

Moreover, I tried to downgrade to Oleg's firm v. 1.7.5.9-5 to access console using ssh, but I did not manage to open a session. This is because actual firmware has empty login field, and only password (which will not function using telnet).

Thanx in advance

chipanzee
21-09-2004, 14:23
just for these feature, openwrt. In fact, I have justed packaged such a customized build of openwrt(ipv6+dropbear). It is pretty easy. I just use the 6to4 tunnel through 192.88.99.1 which surprising works with my ISP(and I believe many other ISP too).

However, you also lose a lot of the nice feature of ASUS(and the customized one by oleg which has even more).

Out of the box, ASUS is the most feature rich comparing with those from linksys etc. Just wish the guys behind openwrt use the ASUS firmware as a starting point rather than the linksys :-)

Exirion
24-09-2004, 13:36
IPv6 is the way forward because there's no way the US or the big companies are giving up their rights to a disproportional amount of IP addresses. Its all about power... Thats why the Asian countries are promoting IPv6 so much and the US is doing nothing with it.
There is some improvement though. The Pentagon announced last year that they are migrating their infrastructure to IPv6 and they want to have finished the migration in 2005/2006 :)

But indeed, Asia is the major IPv6 drive.

Holli
24-09-2004, 16:59
But what is now with the Asus AP?

Can somebody compile IPv6 Modules for it?

phedny
11-10-2004, 18:47
I just got this AP a couple of days and I'm just starting out with custom firmware stuff, but one of the things I really want to do is adding IPv6 support so I can replace the PC-based router I'm using atm with a nice silent box :)

Any successes (or failures) I'll post here...

phedny
23-11-2004, 15:42
I just made some success with IPv6 today.
The kernel has IPv6 support and does some autoconfiguration on the interfaces.

The userland tools however have no support at all, so that's what I'm going to look at next.

And of course radvd needs to be in there, since it's quite usefull for IPv6. I'll keep you up to date!

Antiloop
23-11-2004, 18:07
There is some improvement though. The Pentagon announced last year that they are migrating their infrastructure to IPv6 and they want to have finished the migration in 2005/2006 :)

But indeed, Asia is the major IPv6 drive.
OT: the chupa.nl server has real ipv6 addresses since a few weeks(thus no tunneling shit)

so migration has started in holland as well

phedny
23-11-2004, 18:21
OT: the chupa.nl server has real ipv6 addresses since a few weeks(thus no tunneling shit)

so migration has started in holland as well
Then it would be nice if AAAA records are being added in DNS for www.chupa.nl ;)

Antiloop
23-11-2004, 18:27
Then it would be nice if AAAA records are being added in DNS for www.chupa.nl ;)
will be done in the near future

phedny
23-11-2004, 19:36
The userland tools however have no support at all, so that's what I'm going to look at next.
I've been trying to make the userland configuration tools understand IPv6 (like ifconfig, ip from iproute2). But thing keep giving segmentation faults, and I guess the uClibc from ASUS is compiled without IPv6 support (not strange as-is, since the device doesn't have out-of-the-box IPv6 support), so to make it work, uClibc needs to be recompiled, which I'll be doing soon.

Antiloop
01-12-2004, 00:40
phedny

are you able to visit www.chupa.nl or chupa.nl through ipv6 ? (wl500g.info is not added as AAAA record yet)

I don't have IPv6 available @ home..

phedny
01-12-2004, 10:56
<font face=arial size=2>
Momenteel zijn er problemen met de server of website welke u probeert te bereiken.<BR>
Probeert u het later nogmaals.<BR>

I do get contact, but I don't see the site.
To confirm it's IPv6, I checked the site through IPv4 and then it's working.

Anyway, I am able to contact an Apache 2.0.50 server at port [2001:1be8:3::2]:80, so you might wanna check the webserver configuration.

Antiloop
01-12-2004, 14:08
<font face=arial size=2>
Momenteel zijn er problemen met de server of website welke u probeert te bereiken.<BR>

Anyway, I am able to contact an Apache 2.0.50 server at port [2001:1be8:3::2]:80, so you might wanna check the webserver configuration.
ok.. then I'm using the wrong IPv6 address ;)
because that is the backupserver

Holli
03-12-2004, 15:16
I've been trying to make the userland configuration tools understand IPv6 (like ifconfig, ip from iproute2). But thing keep giving segmentation faults, and I guess the uClibc from ASUS is compiled without IPv6 support (not strange as-is, since the device doesn't have out-of-the-box IPv6 support), so to make it work, uClibc needs to be recompiled, which I'll be doing soon.

Hi phendy

What time do you need to compile a working ipv6 fimeware??

I would test it ;)

Noodles
06-12-2004, 17:29

I found this too; I downloaded the source to uClibc and recompiled it with IPv6 support and it all started working ok. The only issue I had remaining was that the wl binary for tweaking the wireless parameters stopped working; I knocked up a quick hack that just sets the parameters I need though.

Conrado
14-12-2004, 13:30
You say, V6 Providers come up ? do they grand you one IP or a small subnet of, say, 10 ip´s to your connection ?

Hello WLanMan,

sorry for the long time it took to reply...

Well, yes, a subnet, native ipv6. It'll cost you a bit though. Namely, getting the service natively is often still experimental and only mostly offered to business clients and clients with bigger ADSL packages and so on...

Eeek
I dont know whar all World wants with IPv6, it breaks compatibility, and this tunels gateways and so and look all like crazy hacks :). It´s nice to have an IP for every molekule on earth but it could had been enough to rip away some of the big unused subnets from the companys and countrys they had granted to in the early years ...

Indeed, nobody needs ipv6 for home, that's why its taking so long to migrate... <annoyed>Its stubborn mofo's like you that make the migration take longer</annoyed> :p

Regards, Conrado ;)

phedny
14-12-2004, 16:12
Hi phendy

What time do you need to compile a working ipv6 fimeware??

I would test it ;)

Well, it should not take too much time, but I have been busy for the last couple of weeks. I cannot say anything when any version could be available, but I'll inform you on this forum ;)

Antiloop
11-01-2005, 01:12
<font face=arial size=2>

Phedny, please test the bitch for me ;)
i've added all stuff from chupa as AAAA records,
and if I haven't made any mistake it should be accessible by now via hostname (but still can't test.. is there no page around which can do the trick for me? )
http://wl500g.info

Holli
11-01-2005, 16:09
and if I haven't made any mistake it should be accessible by now via hostname (but still can't test.. is there no page around which can do the trick for me? )

He Antiloop
I`m not Phendy, but I test the IPv6 connection to the forum.
And it works. You can see it in your log`s!!

Djuri
12-01-2005, 22:15

You can try http://ipv4gate.sixxs.net/ and http://www.ipv6tools.com/ :)

Antiloop
13-01-2005, 00:13
He Antiloop
I`m not Phendy, but I test the IPv6 connection to the forum.
And it works. You can see it in your log`s!!
tx for testing! seems to work.. although forum software does not really seem to like it.. but have to verify that

phedny
17-01-2005, 21:19
After a busy period and a nice holiday, I'll now take some time to finish the IPv6 project :)

If correct, this post is done by IPv6. And about the forum software: don't worry, AFAIK no forum likes IPv6.

Anyway, I got to borrow another WL-500g, which I can use for testing, so my development time isn't limited anymore to the moment that I'm home alone :)

What I want to do is make IPv6 available to the software in a more or less clean way. So instead of recompiling the uClibC, which would break some binaries, as Noodles found out, I'll try adding an additional library with the IPv6-stuff, which all IPv6-aware programs could link against.

phedny
30-01-2005, 14:53
It took some time... but at home I've got an access point running with IPv6 :cool:

What works:
- IPv6 support in kernel
- IPv6 support for busybox and iproute2

These together could turn your WL-500g into an IPv6 router.

What still has to be done:
- Router Advertisement Daemon
- Extend the web pages for easy configuration

At this time I have a firmware file which works for me:
http://www.phedny.net/dl/WL500g-1.9.2.7-3b-ipv6.trx

I'll publish a patch for the source code today or tomorrow, so more people can work on it...

Holli
30-01-2005, 21:35
He phendy

Perfect work!!

Update no probs!

Here a short help to setup ipv6.
Login to the AP via telnet or ssh. Then enable forwarding ( echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding ). Then setup the addresse.

phedny
31-01-2005, 19:26
Have the broadcom source unpacked, with the wl500g patch (and a working addver :rolleyes: )

Then untar the following file into the broadcom directory:
http://www.phedny.net/dl/broadcom.ipv6.tar.bz2

Now you should be able to run make in the gateway directory and get an IPv6-ready firmware.

By the way, I'm using custom firmware version 1.9.2.7-3b, don't know what happens when trying another version, but just to mention it ;)

Also, the source should be cleaned up a little, as disabling IPv6 would not really work at the moment and I'd like to make it a menu option (for the 'make menuconfig' command).

Hope I included all necessary files, but if there are problems, tell me so I'll check whether I forgot somehing. (Don't have enough free drive space to unpack another source tree to run a diff).

phedny
07-02-2005, 09:46
New firmware: http://www.phedny.net/dl/WL500g-1.9.2.7-3b-ipv6.trx

Added a configuration page to the web interface (in the IP Config menu).
The LAN and WAN sections are operational and the IPv6 addresses are assigned when booting the device. Next I'm going to work on the tunnel section (which enables a sit tunnel to an IPv6 PoP for world-wide access) and to allow configuration of a default gateway on the WAN side.

Also IPv6 forwarding is now automatically enabled.

By the way, if you're lucky you might be able to IPv6-ping my WL-500g (it's will not be available all the time, because of development ;) ). The address is: 2001:838:3ca::5

phedny
09-02-2005, 13:34
Updated http://www.phedny.net/dl/broadcom.ipv6.tar.bz2

It now included the modifications to the web interface and configs IPv6 on system boot.
These files are included:

src/linux/linux/.config
Include IPv6 and multicasting support into kernel

src/gateway/rc/Makefile
src/gateway/rc/network.c
Setup IPv6 on boot (LAN + WAN). Updated the Makefile so IPv6 can be enabled at compile-time

src/gateway/www/asus/web_asus_en/index.asp
src/gateway/www/asus/web_asus_en/Custom_IPV6_Content.asp
Include the IPv6 page in the menu and the config page itself

src/gateway/Makefile
src/gateway/config/Config
Added IPv6 as compile option

src/gateway/httpd/Makefile
src/gateway/httpd/variables.c
Update to the HTTP application, to recognise the new nvram-options

src/gateway/iproute2/Makefile
Adding the IPv6-library to iproute2

src/gateway/busybox/Makefile
src/gateway/busybox/.config
Adding the IPv6-library to busybox (for ifconfig)

src/gateway/ipv6/Makefile
src/gateway/ipv6/ipv6.c
IPv6-library, which statically overrides some uClibC functions when linked to programs

The IPv6-library is mostly used for overriding the inet_pton(), inet_ntop() and getaddressinfo() functions, which copied from the uClibC source. Since the ASUS uClibC is compiled without IPv6 support, and recompiling it would break the compatibility with binaries like the wl-tool, I kind-of 'hacked' this library to make those apps work.

I'd like some feedback, about whether things work or don't work.

btw, the web page has a little styling problem and I've not been able to find the problem... it must be just a little thing being wrong.

Next TODO: radvd for advertising the router to the LAN

phedny
10-02-2005, 09:22
Stupid me, didn't even notice the ability to attach files :)

Anyway, today I finished a new firmware, including radvd support. Enabling radvd can be done via de IPv6 web page, and the configuration file should be created automatically on boot. When you encounter problems, please notify me so I can look at it.

I attached the source patch as a .tar.bz2, which can be extracted to the /root/broadcom dir.

I also placed a firmware file online, which can be downloaded from http://www.p-bierman.nl/~phedny/WL500g-1.9.2.7-3b+ipv6.trx

Soon I'll write an IPv6-HOWTO, which should help you request and configure an IPv6-range for your LAN. I'll include info on requesting a tunnel to a PoP, configuring a WL-500g router and setting up systems in your LAN to allow IPv6.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD, PROBLEM WITH FIRMWARE

phedny
10-02-2005, 10:20
I now placed the WL-500g as my main router and tried to setup IPv6, but there seem to be 2 problems:

- default firewall config blocks IPv6 tunnel packets
- radvd won't start

phedny
10-02-2005, 13:46
I fixed the two problems. Added some lines to rc/firewall_ex.c which will allow IPv6-tunneled packets to arrive, when the tunnel is enabled. And I changes some code of the radvd, which required that the config file is owned by root, which I updated to allow it to be owned by admin, which is the name of the super-user in the WL-500g.

New firmware is available at same URL:
http://www.p-bierman.nl/~phedny/WL500g-1.9.2.7-3b+ipv6.trx

And again, I attached a source patch

Oleg
10-02-2005, 15:50
phedny, you've done a great job. ;-)
I think your code should be incorporated in the firmware.
In fact, I will probably recompile uclibc with ipv6 and rpc support, so it should be easy to incorporate your stuff.

phedny
10-02-2005, 16:15
Won't recompiling uClibC break compatibility with the wl binary?
If it works, then all stuff about the custom ipv6 library can be removed and things will be much cleaner :)

Oleg
10-02-2005, 16:29
well, it works fine for me. btw, I've put new toolchain here:
http://wl500g.dyndns.org/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2 (2 MB)
extract it and change the symbolic link in the /opt/brcm, try to cleanup your code then.

phedny
12-02-2005, 19:13
well, it works fine for me. btw, I've put new toolchain here:
http://wl500g.dyndns.org/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2 (2 MB)
extract it and change the symbolic link in the /opt/brcm, try to cleanup your code then.

indeed, it works. now even ping6 is working.
i did some cleaning up in my code and removed all the stuff regarding my ipv6-library, since uClibC now handles it.

the file i attached is the result of my work.

Oleg
03-03-2005, 18:34
Please check your PM...

alpha5
17-07-2005, 13:43
Is there any update Client for my WL500g to update my freenet6 tunnelendpoint?
Or for any other Tunnelbroker?

alpha5
27-07-2005, 15:34
Nothing???

Feico de Boer
24-10-2005, 12:51
Oleg,

How hard is it to get 'traceroute6' and 'ip6tables' into the firmware? No need for fancy webby and nvram things, good old post-boot and a config file on the nvram fs suffice.

These two things would make ipv6 just a little more usable.

Oleg
24-10-2005, 13:03
traceroute6 is not available in the busybox, ip6tables requires kernel support - bunch of space.
Have you considered using openwrt?

Feico de Boer
24-10-2005, 13:49
Considered yes, tried no. I'm a bit reluctant because of the install procedure and all the manual configuration. The advantage of openwrt ofcourse is that you only install what you need.

Anyway, if that is my best bet, I'll give it a try. I consider myself an experienced user so I should be able to figure things out.

alpha5
12-12-2005, 19:22
Is here anyone who uses his wl500g with a dynamic ipv4 adress and a ipv6 tunnel? for exabmle freenet6?

arch
26-04-2006, 16:06
Can the wl500gx with the latest firmware operate as an IPv4/IPv6 dual stack machine? Thanks in advance.

sector
02-05-2006, 20:36
Hey I am running the latest version of Oleg his firmware, but somehow can't get IPV6 to run. Any tips on how to troubleshoot this?

I did all the steps in the following guide:
http://wl500g.info/archive/index.php/t-1685.html

Thanks!
Dennis

tokyoturnip
08-06-2006, 14:48
I am using Olegs 1.9.2.7-3 (I think.) on a wl500gx

Is there a way to disable IPv6? I notice running ifconfig that there are IPv6 entries, even though I do not have IPv6 configured or enabled via the Webpage configuration. I see in the syslog that a daemon for IPv6 v0.8 for NET4.0 is loaded. I will like to disable it from starting. I like to keep things trim.
So my main question is where is the config file to disble/not start?
I beleive it is Inet or something like that, I am a half noob half itermiddiate user.
Anyone thing there will be any disadvantages to disabling?

tokyoturnip

arch
25-06-2006, 07:13
Has anyone cross-compiled dhcpv6 for the wl500gx? An ipkg package would be wonderful, but google tells me that there is none.

I am trying to use a wl500gx with Oleg's firmware to connect natively to IPv6 on Wanadoo here in France, and dncpv6 is required.

Thanks in advance.

arch
22-07-2006, 16:43
My conclusion is that a wl500gx running Oleg's firmware does not handle an ICMPv6 Neighbor Solicitation correctly. Another, peripheral conclusion is that my Fedora Core 4 box does not handle neighbor discovery 100% correctly. Let me explain.

My setup is as follows:

ADSL2+ Modem
|
wl500gx as router
|
Wired Ethernet LAN
/ | \
PC running wl500gP as a PC running
Windows XP wireless access Linux
point Fedora C4

A laptop with Two wl500gx’s
Windows XP as wireless access
connected point clients
wirelessly to
the wl500gP

All the wl500g’s are running Oleg’s latest firmware.

Remark: The wl500gP works correctly as a wireless bridge, and the wl500gx router appears ok, too.

Remark: In the following experiments the order in which tests are conducted is important: tests cause state changes.

Experiment 1: The Windows PC ping6s the Windows laptop. Everything works according to the text book. In particular, one can see all the ICMPv6 packets going back and forth. The first and most important one is the neighbor solicitation packet going from the PC to the laptop.

Experiment 2: ping6ing in the reverse direction works perfectly, too.

Remark: All these ICMPv6 packets had to go through wl500gx router and the wl500gP wireless bridge.

Experiment 3: The Windows PC tries to ping6 one of the wl500gx wireless access point clients. Since the address of this access point client is not in the PC’s neighbor cache, the PC sends out a neighbor solicitation packet which is not answered, and it is supposed to be answered.

Experiment 4: The wl500gx wireless access point client ping6s the Windows PC. This is Experiment 3 in the reverse direction. It works because the Windows PC replies, as it should, to the neighbor solicitation packet which it receives from the wl500gx.

Remark: It is only the neighbor solicitation packets that are not be treated correctly. Echo request and echo reply always work. (I ran no experiment regarding ICMPv6 router packets.)

Experiment 5: The Windows PC again tries to ping6 the wl500gx wireless access point client. THIS TIME IT WORKS. It works because the Windows PC put the address of the wl500gx in its neighbor cache during Experiment
4. It knows the address now, and it does not have to send out a neighbor solicitation packet.

Experiment 6: Now conduct the same sequence of experiments with the Linux PC substituted for the Windows PC. The wl500gx can ping6 the Linux PC because the PC’s version of Linux accepts neighbor solicitation packets; however, it, the PC, still cannot ping6 the wl500gx because the wl500gx’s address was not entered into the neighbor cache of the PC. In other words, there is a different bug here.

Remark: There are no problems when IPv4 is used.

Remark: I realize that I could make things work by manually entering addresses here and there, but that is asking for trouble later.

Of course, I may have missed some obvious point, and all this may be nonsense.

arch
22-07-2006, 16:52
My careful editing got garbled after submission.

On the wired Ethernet LAN are a PC running Windows XP, a wl500gP acting as a wireless access point, and a PC running Linux.

Wirelessly connected to the wl500gP access point are a laptop running Windows XP, and two wl500gx's acting as wireless access point clients.

arch
08-08-2006, 05:32
I now know a bit more about ipv6 neighbor solicitation in systems using wl500gx’s and wl500gP’s. I will refer here to my system setup which I described a couple of messages ago.

First consider the wl500gx router. It works correctly, that is, it accepts all NS’s (neighbor solicitations). I had entered an ipv6 address in the LAN Internet Interface, and ifconfig showed this address in br0. In addition, br0, eth0, eth1, vlan0, and vlan1 showed the automatically generated fe80 link-layer address. (Only one because there is only one MAC address.) NS’s to both these addresses were accepted.

Remark: I was a bit surprised that I did not see an automatically configured address based on the prefix and the MAC address. However, I finally decided that this is intended. Later I saw that in the Access mode as opposed to Home Gateway mode this address is generated.

The file dev_mcast in /proc/net shows the MAC addresses that each interface is listening for. These addresses look a bit strange because they are derived from solicited-node addresses and some standard multicast addresses. Without going into detail, one could see that br0, eth0, eth1, vlan0, and vlan1 were listening for the fe80 link-layer address and br0 was additionally listening for the ipv6 address that I had entered manually. That this latter address is in br0 only is important.

The NS’s arrived over a wired connection, and they were responded to correctly. I underlined the word “wired” because wired versus wireless seems to be the problem.

Second, consider the wl500gx access point clients which are the extremities of my set up. They have a wireless connection to the rest of the system. Their addresses and dev_mcast are similar to the router discussed above. Now, however, some NS’s are accepted and some are not.

If an NS is sent to the fe80 address, it is accepted. If it is sent to the address which appears in br0 only it is not accepted. This latter address is the problem address. I think that the fe80 address is accepted because it is associated with every interface in dev_mcast and, therefore, has many possibilities whereas the problem address is associated with br0 only. Although brctl says that eth1, the wireless interface, is in br0, the behavior is as if it were not. To check I added the problem address to eth1, and all NS’s were then accepted.

So I have a theory: there is something wrong with the br0 in the wl500gx access point clients. I will now attack this beautiful theory with an ugly fact.

Third, now consider the wl500gP which is acting as an access point. It is between the router and the access point clients. Its addresses and dev_mast are similar to those of the preceding devices. The ugly fact is that it works correctly whether the connection is wired or wireless. For example, an NS with a problem address going wirelessly from an access point client to the access point is accepted. In other words, in the wl500gP br0 has no problem with a wireless connection. I don’t understand.

I can think of two possibilities. Perhaps the set ups of the wl500gx’s and the wl500gP differ in some way that affects br0; I’ve looked, of course. Or, perhaps, there is a difference in the software between the two boxes, the Deluxe and the Premium, which explains this behavior. I just don’t know.

In any event, I can make things work by adding the problem address to eth1, which is obviously not elegant.

arch
17-08-2006, 15:27
When I tried to enter some standard ipv6 things in "Additional pppd options" of the internet interface the wl500gx would no longer connect to internet. This was even the case when I entered the benign PPPD_EXTRA="".

Then looking in the source code for the firmware 1.9.2.7-7e I see that in the two places where HAVE_INET6=y appears it is commented out. Therefore, I assume that the currently installed ppp does not support ipv6.

I am hesitant to uncomment in these two places and recompile because I do not know what side effects there will be. For example, assuming that the recompilation works will the resulting firmware still fit in the wl500gx.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks

arch
22-08-2006, 14:10
I have recompiled 1.9.2.7-7e with every #HAVE_INET6=y changed to HAVE_INET=y. I lack the courage to upload it into my wl500gx because I am afraid that it might be too big. How can I tell?

Here are the few numbers that I have.
Modified firmware .trx file 3,510,272
Unmodified 3,506,176
Difference 4096

Modified target.cramfs 2,803,187
Unmodified 2,797,695
Difference 5492

The vmlinuz are almost the same: the new one is smaller than the old one by 86

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

arch
27-08-2006, 18:49
I uploaded the modified firmware, and it seems to be working. I say "seems" because I have used it for just a couple of days.

Looking at the output of dmesg immediately after reboot shows the following flash memory layout:

pmon 0 to 262,144
linux 262,144 to 4,063,232
rootfs 967,792 to 4,063,232 Note: rootfs is inside linux
config 4,063,232 to 4,128,768
nvram 4,128,768 to 4,194,304

The only change caused by the modification of the firmware was that the rootfs increased by 86 bytes. Apparently, this did not "break" anything.
Whew!

The recompilation was relatively straightforward. I followed the wiki here step-by-step. However, before I did so I had to replace the gcc and g++ on my Fedora Core 4 box with gcc and g++ 3.2. How to do this is described elsewhere on this site. From then on I had a few "path" problems where the compiler could not find something. These were caused by my hasty deviations from the wiki: do what it says. Note that the wiki DOES NOT tell you to "make uclibc"! You will be using the binary, and it is already made. As the last step I picked "make image-WL500gx", and it worked fine.

The change I made was to replace #HAVE_INET6=y by HAVE_INET6=y. At each step I took time to search, and make the change everywhere possible.

The recompilation took a long time on my 500Mhz Linux box.

And I can see that ipv6 is now enabled in ppp. More later.

arch
30-08-2006, 06:27
I now have a native ipv6 connection through my wl500gx router.

In the "Additional pppd options" window of IP Config-WAN&LAN in the internet interface I entered

ipv6 , ipv6cp-use-persisten

The comma and spaces are intended. If I did this before I re-compiled the firmware to enable ipv6 in ppp, the router would not signon to internet. Now it does. I could sniff the exchange of packets between the router and the ADSL modem, and I could see ipv6 being set up.

To sniff the packets I used the Tethereal ipkg package. I assume Tcpdump would work, too. The command

killall -1 pppd

disconnects, not reboots, the router and reconnects it about 30 seconds later. This gives time to start Tethereal. The command

tethereal -i vlan1

sniffs the packets going through the WAN interface. Note that rebooting will not work because Tethereal will not be running during the connection of the router.

An ipv6 global default route is not set up automatically so I added one.

ip -f inet6 route add 2000::/3 dev ppp0 metric 9999

The huge metric is to avoid packets bouncing back and forth between me and my ISP. At the moment this route is added manually after each reboot.

Normally my ISP expects me to use dhcpv6 to get my prefix, but I do not have it on the wl500gx router yet. However, I do have dhcpv6 on my Linux box, and I got the prefix using it. Apparently my ISP uses dhcpv6 just to give out prefixes and, at the moment, nothing else.

My connection to internet is now dual-stack; that is, either ipv4 or ipv6 is used as appropriate. This is not something that I did; it is built in.

My evidence that I really do have ipv6 connection capability in addition to ipv4 is that several ipv6 sites have told me that I do. Some have even sent back my ipv6 address.

The set up here is fragile, and I need to play with the system more, and I would like to have a dhcpv6 ipkg.

medium.net
27-09-2006, 18:34
Hello Oleg,

I'm a happy user of your firmware. It is great that your firmware supports IPv6 (since 1.9.2.7-4). However, there does not seem to be IPv6 support regarding the PPP daemon.

My ISP is supplying me with IPv6 connectivity (static IPv6-subnet assigned to my account) over PPP. It has been working fine for over two years, where I used an x86 Linux machine as router. However, this machine has blown up and I need to use my WL-500gx for routing purposes.

So I'm asking you: Would you like to enable IPv6 for pppd at the next firmware release?

Thank you!

Xuân.

Oleg
27-09-2006, 18:41
Well, in fact, IPv6 support is broken in the firmware. There is only basic support, i.e. no firewall, etc. So, I'm thinking of removing this, as it's really dangerous and rarely used feature.
If you like to use ipv6 I would suggest you to use OpenWRT instead.

medium.net
27-09-2006, 19:12
For me, it is no problem of having no IPv6 firewall at the WL-500gx level. (In my view, network security should be applied to the network peer level, not the network router level.) (If IPv6, which is not firewalled at the IPv6 router, is dangerous for a given user, this user should not enable it.) OpenWRT, on the other hand, does not seem to be as user friendly as you firmware.

The ASUS WL router series is the only kind of WLAN routers I know of which support IPv6 both at the network level and the GUI level. People expect IPv6 getting a breakthrough within the next two years, so IPv6 support is a large advantage. (Also because IPv6 solves all the NetworkAddressTranslation and PortForwarding mess.)

So I'd plead for extending IPv6 support instead of removing it. For being usable, there is barely more needed than a IPv6-enabled pppd. :-)

arch
28-09-2006, 02:53
Although it is true that ipv6 on the wl500g's has a few bugs, one can connect natively to an ISP through a bridging modem using pppoe and pppd. See my remarks elsewhere on this site.

I also would hate to see the support for ipv6 dropped from the firmware.

wary
13-04-2008, 19:14
Hello!
Is there a way to use IPv6 using 6to4, not a tunnel from sixxs?
If I connest my computer direct to my modem, I automaticalli get a IPv6 Address and cna connect to IPv6 sites.
Can I make this work with the router?

stevocz
14-05-2008, 08:27
please add full support for IPv6 for WL-500gx with DHCP or IPv6 tuneling on IPv4 with IPv6 DHCP from my internet provider

thanx:rolleyes:

wary
15-05-2008, 19:06
OK, I did it :)
go to this site:
http://6to4.version6.net/?show_op_sys=Linux&lang=en_GB

copy the first (which begins with ip tunnel add...) block of commands to your post-firewall file.
In the Web Interface set the IPv6 local Settings to 2002:your IP in hex::1.
So if your IP is 1.2.3.4 set it to 2002:0102:0304::1
Set the netsize to 64 and the advertisements to yes!

wary
01-11-2008, 14:46
Hello,

Can some skilled user please compile this software?
It is used to create a free IPv6 Tunnel, and the registration at Go6 is a lot easyer than at sixxs!
Here is the Software.
http://go6.net/4105/application.asp

There is even a OpenWRT port!

Sterke-Jerke
08-12-2008, 21:52
Wrong forum, sorry

Sterke-Jerke
08-12-2008, 22:44
I used this (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1685&highlight=ipv6) to install IPV6 on my V2.

(The Dynamic part,) but somehow the IPV6 adresses do not get ditributed our routed.

Did someone succeed in making the WL500Gp worl as a gateway voor IPV6 (from sixxs) Tunnel Type : Dynamic (ayiya)

Sterke-Jerke
10-12-2008, 18:49
I have it (alomst running).

The Tunnel, and local network with ipv6

Only radvd does not start. Does someone have a radvd.conf for the wl-500gp V2?

Or can someone tell me how to run that under Oleg? Latest version?

shinji257
01-04-2009, 21:45
Ok. I realize the title isn't very descriptive here. What I need to do is be able to setup some actual ipv6 dns servers on the router. In addition I also wish to have the router broadcast itself as an ipv6 dns server as well as an ipv4 one. Sixxs.net is providing ipv6 dns servers that are usable via the tunnel.

I have been able to add the required dns servers, at least temporarily, by adding them directly to the /etc/resolv.conf file. At that point both dig and host can get an ipv6 address for www.google.com (one doesn't exist on most ipv4 dns servers...). I just need to make it broadcast that it can do that so my computers will use them.

theMIROn
30-10-2009, 09:10
Oleg,

How hard is it to get 'traceroute6' and 'ip6tables' into the firmware? No need for fancy webby and nvram things, good old post-boot and a config file on the nvram fs suffice.

These two things would make ipv6 just a little more usable.

traceroute6 was added in 1.9.2.7-d-r740

ps. 4 years passed by :)

Escoode
15-02-2010, 11:30
Its actually for me too...
Anybody can solve this task?

theMIROn
15-02-2010, 19:34
it's possible with tunnelbroker.net tunnel