PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Hide SSID

Okoun
16-01-2005, 17:26
Please, how can I hide the ssid broadcasts without using the webconfig?

The thing is that I use OpenWrt, but the linux part is very similar to Oleg's firmware, so I'm sure someone here will have an idea how is it done.

Thanx

Oleg
16-01-2005, 18:19
nvram set wl0_closed=1
nvram commit

tophinus
10-01-2006, 08:19
Hi,

I have put to "Yes" the "Hide SSID" variable in the web page but when I scan the wireless access points under linux (no windows available at home), it shows me my wl500gx but my SSID too :eek:

Is there a way to hide it ?

Thanks in advance :)

Tophinus

FilimoniC
10-01-2006, 09:07
I thought that it's because you've got a pre-set up of this SSID. Try to remove this ssid from options, and (hope) you won't see it any more (Only mac)

Antiloop
10-01-2006, 14:44
I thought that it's because you've got a pre-set up of this SSID. Try to remove this ssid from options, and (hope) you won't see it any more (Only mac)
idd, mostly it's because the SSID is already known

FilimoniC
10-01-2006, 15:21
i heard that one man has a hot-spot, that even doesn't shies with it's MAC. Is it possible?

Oleg
10-01-2006, 18:29
i heard that one man has a hot-spot, that even doesn't shies with it's MAC. Is it possible?
No, this is not possible at all, as all 802.x packets shoudl have a MAC address.
Kismet will detect SSID anyway, once legitimate client would try to associate with AP. There are no ways, to hide SSID completely.

tophinus
12-01-2006, 07:58
It seems that Linux and Windows doesn't search hotspots by the same way.
A friend came at home yesterday and it doesn't found my hide SSID. But My Linux find it, even if it's not connected to the network, so it should work as Kismet I think.
The only difference I noticed is :
- With Windows, the ssid isn't detected but as soon as you enter correct values, il works
- With Linux, The ssid is detected but if i don't declare in my wpa.conf :

scan_wpa=1

I can't connect to my hide SSID.

So If Kismet and Linux can find SSID anyway, I think you must have more protections enabled. The hidden SSID is only interesting to prevent newbies with Windows to connect to your network if you have forgotten to secure it....

Thanks for your help :)

MHz
03-01-2007, 20:01
Hi,

Since a couple of days ago we switched back to WPA encryption. But now I can't play online games on my DS because the DS only supports WEP encryption. So my question is: Is it possible to add a second SSID but with WEP encryption. Buy another wireless router or the Nintendo Wireless Dongle is not an option.

Thanks!

skyraven
23-10-2007, 01:05
Hello,

I've removed my wifi interface from the bridge and it seems the automatic configuration doesn't apply on boot so I had to do it by hand.

Does any one know how to disable ssid broadcast using the command-line tool : wl ?

I can't find the proper syntax.

I think it was something with the boardflags.

Thanks,
Mihai

skyraven
23-10-2007, 09:25
Hello,

How can this be done without using the web config or the nvram variable (wl0_closed/wl_closed).

I've removed the wifi interface from the bridge and now the firmware initialization script doesn't read values from nvram.

How can I set the hide SSID manually ? (is it possible by using a flags / writing something at an address of the device/ or with the wl utility )

Thanks,
Mihai

moviecut
28-10-2007, 18:05
i`m also interested in that! or can i plug the wifi-ap in router, so that i don`t have to leave my computer on, while playing ds online?

avberk
29-10-2007, 15:09
Guess you cannot.

You can use both wpa and wep at same time, but its not so safe