PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [HowTo] Streaming audio from Winamp/XMMS/etc.

daniel632
06-01-2006, 15:01
I recently invested some time in getting my WL-500g router to wirelessly play audio from Winamp, and I'd like to share this information with everybody, as I couldn't find much about this topic in the forums. The whole text is also available on this web page (http://home.in.tum.de/~pustka/WL-500g_as_wireless_soundcard.html).

Installing EsounD on the WL-500g

For receiving sound streams on the router and playing them on the USB sound card, the well-kown EsounD daemon is used. You can either install it as an ipgk from Unslug or download the binary file from this location:

EsounD daemon binary: esd (http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/mipsel/esd)

Before starting it, the default ASUS sound server (useable only from Windows Media Player) needs to be killed, as it occupies the sound card:

killall waveservermain
killall waveserver
Then the esd daemon can be started:

esd -d /dev/sound/dsp -tcp -public &

Connecting to the soundcard from a client computer

If you are running Linux, you can use an audio player like XMMS or amaroK, choose an EsounD output plugin (gstreamer in case of amaroK) and enter the server's IP address.

In order to connect to the EsoundD server from Windows, Kasper Laudrup has a nice EsounD output plugin (http://www.linuxfan.dk/index.php?page=code) for Winamp available at his site. Note that for Winamp 5 you need to download the Winamp 2 version, not Winamp 3. At the bottom of this page, there also is a link to an updated version, which includes better resampling.

Special issues with the Audigy 2 NX

If you have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX USB soundcard, some extra work has to be done as this one is not completely behaving like a normal USB soundcard. However, at least on Windows this is an excellent sound card, and it has a very good signal quality.

Updated kernel module

Note: the patch is included in the firmware from version 1.9.2.7-7b on, so it is no longer necessary to replace the module

The standard ASUS usb soundcard driver does not work with an Audigy 2 NX, so I had to patch it. Now it seems to run pretty stable. You can download the updated kernel module here:

binary module (compiled for 1.9.2.7-6b firmare): audio.o (http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/mipsel/audio.o)
patch for the original kernel code: audio.c.diff (http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/mipsel/audio.c.diff)

To install the module, either replace the file in /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/ (if you are running off a USB drive) and reboot or download it to some other location and exchange the module in the kernel with the following commands:

rmmod audio
insmod audio.o

Resampling

In case the soundcard uses a different sampling rate than your sound files, the esd daemon on the router will automatically resample the audio stream. Normally this should be no problem, as esd by default runs at 44100Hz, which also is the sampling rate of most MP3/Ogg/AAC/... files and therefore no resampling should happen. However, if you have an Audigy 2 NX, esd will only run at 48000Hz. Now the problem is that esd does a pretty bad job at resampling which results in audible loss of sound-quality, especially at high frequencies.

The solution was to modify the esd Winamp plugin to automatically resample to the server frequency using the Secret Rabbit Code library, which provides much higher conversion quality. The updated Winamp2/5 plugin is available for download at the following location:

EsounD Winamp output plugin with resampling: out_esd.dll (http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/out_esd/out_esd.dll), sources (http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/out_esd/out_esd_source.zip)

To install, just copy the dll into the Winamp/Plugins directory and configure the plugin from Winamp preferences.

Of course, you use the information given here and the software available for download at your own risk. The author is not responsible for any damage it may cause to your computer or router.

wdesign
18-01-2006, 13:53
It's a great job.

I will try it in Foobar2000.

kristel
24-01-2006, 21:27
Hi
Can you please give me some detail information how to run the esound demon on wl500g and how to configure the winamp plugin.
I have download the esd binary, but what i shut do with it?
Thanks a lot for reply
Kristel

WlanMan
25-01-2006, 15:33
Hi daniel632

Works nicely here, thank you for this.
ESD may be called buggy, but works still way better then the waveserver :).
CPU usage ranges usually under 20%, very good.

I want to point out WinESD (http://www.clingman.org/winesd/) which creates a virtual soundcard on windows which can output to the ESD Server on the Router. This is for me the "best you want" solution :).

And, ESD is small enough to be saved to the flashfs...
And, you can use my "smixer" binary to controll the output volume of esd on the router (see pallantir thread).

Greets
Wlanman

daniel632
27-01-2006, 23:03
Can you please give me some detail information how to run the esound demon on wl500g and how to configure the winamp plugin.
I have download the esd binary, but what i shut do with it?

I assume that you are already running Olegs firmware (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/), it won't work without. You need to open a telnet or ssh connection to the router (e.g. with putty) using the router's login name (admin) and the password. First, kill the waveserver as described in the first post.

If you are running from a usb memory stick or hard drive, I suggest to download esound using the ipkg program:

ipkg install esound
esd -d /dev/sound/dsp -tcp -public &

In case the router is not booting off a usb drive, you can download the binary directly using wget:

cd /usr/local
wget http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/mipsel/esd
chmod a+x esd
and then start the demon with

/usr/local/esd -d /dev/sound/dsp -tcp -public &
Of course, the changes will get lost when the router is restarted, e.g. due to power loss. To keep the file permanently, you could save the file to flashfs, as suggested by WlanMan. For details, please see Olegs page (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/). In this case, you also might want to create a post-boot script to start the demon automatically

The Winamp plugin (out_esd.dll) needs to be downloaded to the winamp plugin directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Winamp 5\Plugins). Then, it is configured in the winamp preferences: (Ctrl-P)->Plugins->Output->Esound Output for Winamp. There, click configure. For the host, enter the ip or name of your router, by default "192.168.1.1" or "my.router". The port needs to be 16001. You could also change the password (must be 16 characters), but you need to restart the esound demon afterwards. From my experience, you also need to use the same password on all computers that should be able to access the soundcard.

cunami
29-01-2006, 12:36
I want to point out WinESD (http://www.clingman.org/winesd/) which creates a virtual soundcard on windows which can output to the ESD Server on the Router. This is for me the "best you want" solution :).

Which OS you're using?I am interested if WinESD could be used on WinXP, cause website seems not updated a long time already and it could be dangerous to use it on WinXP :rolleyes:

Greetings,
Cunami

WlanMan
29-01-2006, 16:12
Which OS you're using?I am interested if WinESD could be used on WinXP, cause website seems not updated a long time already and it could be dangerous to use it on WinXP :rolleyes:

Greetings,
Cunami
Hi

Using WindowsXP with SP1 (but that dosn´t matters).
After installing the driver like described (however slightly differend cause of ever-changing dialoges) you can add the registry key. After restarting which is indeet needet it works here, you can select the winesd device as sound output in various aplications. But i dont recoment setting it as the system default soundcard. Many programs work with it, media player classic worked good, whereas videolan client had scrapy audio and timewarped video.

So, your mileage may vary depending on your aplication. But otherwise, this can be a problem of my tormented windows, running for far too long since last reinstall ;)

Greets
Wlanman

cunami
30-01-2006, 14:20
Hi
Using WindowsXP with SP1

Thanks for reply WlanMan! I will try on my WinXP SP2 soon and will post here results how it worked.

Greetings,
Cunami

kristel
30-01-2006, 21:38
Thank you for instructions.

Yes, i use Olegs Firmware V. ****-6b and esd is now running i think.
But it seems to be a problem with my soundcard, it's a Audimax F1 and the supported samplerate is 48kHz.

How i read from your thread in the newest FW are updated audio drivers for wl-500g, so i wil try with V.****-7b

Thanks again for your help.

cunami
30-01-2006, 22:11
the supported samplerate is 48kHz.

Kristel,
my card is also working at 48kHz, but esd runs without any problem. You can youse winamp plugin with resampling fix, which has been changed, to work with cards, which are running exactly at 48kHz. I tried that and for me everything works good, could not notice any wrong or bad behaviour.

Good luck!
Cunami

kristel
01-02-2006, 19:35
Ok, you have right.
48kHz is no problem...

unsupported playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.

So my problem was another, i have not start esd from "/usr/local"

Now i can play all the codecs of my audio files, that's funky!

Thank you all for helping me!
Greets

cunami
02-02-2006, 15:51
Hi

Using WindowsXP with SP1 (but that dosn´t matters).

Well sometimes it matters I guess :-) I have tried to install WinESD on my WinXP SP2. After couple of times I succeeded. Then I have tried to make it work. In the beginning I was just getting annoying sounds, which are error messages (as it is written in website of WinESD creator). Then somehow I got it working, but I could not call it "really working" - cause sound is coming somehow with slowdowns, the speed of music is varying all the time and I am hearing terrible effect :-). Even my windows couple of times was also running so slow... What could be the problem? I am sure this is not a network problem as my home network is almost empty, not other computers are using it. Could this be somehow related that I have SP2 installed?

Thanks,
Cunami

WlanMan
02-02-2006, 23:26
Well sometimes it matters I guess :-) I have tried to install WinESD on my WinXP SP2. After couple of times I succeeded. Then I have tried to make it work. In the beginning I was just getting annoying sounds, which are error messages (as it is written in website of WinESD creator). Then somehow I got it working, but I could not call it "really working" - cause sound is coming somehow with slowdowns, the speed of music is varying all the time and I am hearing terrible effect :-). Even my windows couple of times was also running so slow... What could be the problem? I am sure this is not a network problem as my home network is almost empty, not other computers are using it. Could this be somehow related that I have SP2 installed?

As SP2 does not change anything relevant on the audio subsystem, i dont expect this to be the problem.
If you got it working, then esd+router are operating properly.
As is saied, you get good to useless results depending on the aplication that sends the music. This is a matter of the way the aplications synchronise the audio (maybe relaying on some constant parameters on a real soundcard, like sample eacht xx-ms...), or simply winesd beeing quite beta :).

What aplications you used to stram the audio ??

Windows running strangely was an effect of using winesd as the default audio device here, you shouldn´t do this :)

Greets
Wlanman

cunami
03-02-2006, 13:56
What aplications you used to stram the audio ??

I was using winamp. And trying to use winamp with esd output plugin was much much better. Just this plugin is also quite beta, so I cannot play streams (like shoutcast), as it does not support them. I guess I will try to play strems directly from router then, but this is not so nice solution...

~Cunami

Stanislav
19-02-2006, 15:00
I have done everything as Daniel wrote.
Download was ok, but when I tried to start proces the answet is:

/dev/sound/dsp: No such file or directory

What might be wrong ??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connecting to home.in.tum.de[131.159.74.1]:80
esd 100% |***************************| 90568 00:00 ETA
[admin@hobbiton local]$ chmod a+x esd
[admin@hobbiton local]$ /usr/local/esd -d /dev/sound/dsp -tcp -public &
[admin@hobbiton local]$ - using device /dev/sound/dsp
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanislav

daniel632
19-02-2006, 19:09

This means that the usb sound driver was not loaded, probably because it doesn't support your soundcard. What does syslog (cat /tmp/syslog.log) say after you plug in your soundcard?

Rasmuskarlsen
22-06-2006, 18:30
I still have a problem getting the esound installed on my router.Im not familar with linux or asus, so how do i transfer esound to the router? Do i have to have any specific firmware?

cunami
25-06-2006, 11:25
I still have a problem getting the esound installed on my router.Im not familar with linux or asus, so how do i transfer esound to the router? Do i have to have any specific firmware?

You have to install ipkg package system on your router first and after that it should be quite easy to do, just by typing "ipkg install esound".

How to install ipkg on your machine you can find on macsat.com website, in the "Tutorials - Oleg" section.

Good luck!

Rasmuskarlsen
26-06-2006, 11:52
Okay thanks. I will try if i can figure out how to install ipkg. And will then report back.

Rasmuskarlsen
26-06-2006, 12:09
Isnt thee i way i can check if my usb sound card is mounted and supported?

I have plugged the USB sound card into the router. And i have logged in through telnet.

I have now typed the command "df" should all connected devices be listed there?

I can only see the following:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 2944 2944 0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 58613120 53119412 5493708 91% /tmp/harddisk

No USB sound card listed?

cunami
26-06-2006, 15:31
Isnt thee i way i can check if my usb sound card is mounted and supported?

I have plugged the USB sound card into the router. And i have logged in through telnet.

I have now typed the command "df" should all connected devices be listed there?

I can only see the following:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 2944 2944 0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 58613120 53119412 5493708 91% /tmp/harddisk

No USB sound card listed?

"df" will not show you sound card, I suggest better to take a look to syslog on /tmp dir, there should be logged all information about all pluggable devices, like sound card, printer and others.

Rasmuskarlsen
26-06-2006, 16:17
Okay when i type "dmesg" i get the following.....
There might be an error? but i dont know i mean?

[admin@(none) root]$ dmesg
erface 1 endpoint 0x1
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usbaudio: failure (error -145) to get output sampling frequency device 2 interfa ce 1 endpoint 0x1

which repeat itself about 50 times!?

I dont know how to type det command syslog on /tmp dir correct, and get the output from det syslog...I dont know all theese linux commands.... :)

Rasmuskarlsen
03-07-2006, 19:35
Anybody who knows?

FilimoniC
10-07-2006, 13:03
Can anybody give me a scheme of USB speakers ? I cant find what i want in shops

Rasmuskarlsen
22-07-2006, 22:17
Okay last news in this case.

I have now connected a USB stick, installed IPKG, installed Esound

But when i try to launch esound via:

I get this error:

[admin@Rasmus500gp root]$ /usr/local/esd -d /dev/sound/dsp -tcp -public &
[admin@Rasmus500gp root]$ - using device /dev/sound/dsp
/dev/sound/dsp: Input/output error

What can be wrong? If i run the command: "cat /tmp/syslog.log"
I get this output:

Jul 22 23:20:17 kernel: usbaudio: failure (error -145) to get output sampling frequency device 2 interface 1 endpoint 0x1
Jul 22 23:20:20 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Jul 22 23:20:20 kernel: usbaudio: failure (error -145) to get output sampling frequency device 2 interface 1 endpoint 0x1
Jul 22 23:20:23 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Jul 22 23:20:23 kernel: usbaudio: failure (error -145) to get output sampling frequency device 2 interface 1 endpoint 0x1
Jul 22 23:20:26 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Jul 22 23:20:26 kernel: usbaudio: failure (error -145) to get output sampling frequency device 2 interface 1 endpoint 0x1

Which just repeat itself over and over....?

Anybody who might have an answer to this?

Please help!

Rasmuskarlsen
24-07-2006, 13:09
I have now tried running the mixer program supplied with dsp.

[admin@asus sound]$ /usr/local/esd -d /dev/sound/mixer
- using device /dev/sound/mixer
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
Audio device open for 48Khz, stereo,16bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

Hmm?

Tony Tong
10-08-2006, 15:57
I am using Oleg 1.9.2.7-7e firmware..
There is a audio features Waveserver.
If I connect a USB sound card to WL-500GX, how can I make use of Windows media player to send audio file to the router and let it play from the USB sound card???

Please advise.

Thanks

WlanMan
02-12-2006, 16:54
I am using Oleg 1.9.2.7-7e firmware..
There is a audio features Waveserver.
If I connect a USB sound card to WL-500GX, how can I make use of Windows media player to send audio file to the router and let it play from the USB sound card?

Use the Asus suplied plugin for windows media player and set it up acording to the manual.

Greets
Wlanman

fruktsallad
06-12-2006, 11:29
Hey guys!

First of all, thanks, this tutorial was invaluable in setting up esd on my wl500g.premium (and my macbook). I'm using a c-media usb stick.

However, there's a slight problem; Every other minute, there's a stutter in the audio. It just goes silent for about a second and then starts again from where it ended and "fast forwards" the lost second. I'd think this is some kind of buffering going on, but since it's a bit irregular i don't know...

This happens both when streaming from Winamp and from OS X.

Is there anyone else having this? What to do about i? Are there any alternatives to running esd?

WlanMan
07-12-2006, 15:35
This happens both when streaming from Winamp and from OS X.

Is there anyone else having this? What to do about i? Are there any alternatives to running esd?

Hi

I cant recall an alternative, but there maybe is one. Try to google around for esd+linux and look for alternatives.

As for esd, the winamp plugin works quite well, if you have the same problems with OS X (btw, how did you managed this?) the problem is in the rounter. Did you tried the asus solution with media player, is there the same problem ? The C-Media usb soundcard here works fine.
maybe you post a kernel log ?

Greets
Wlanman

fruktsallad
07-12-2006, 16:12
Hey there! =)

Actually, I'm not 100% positive, but I do believe this happened using the waveserver as well.

I managed to get esd running on OS X using this guide:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060602065532384

But how would I go about to post a kernel log? (Do I have to mention that I'm a total linux noob - I've put quite a few hours into this already just to get this far ;-P)

I've had some progress troubleshooting; So far, I've kind of ruled out the possibility that this has something to do with ESD, because i'm getting the same problems when using madplay+netcast to play mp3 streams. It's nothing that happens on my macbook, cause i get it both when streaming directly from my computer (ethernet/wlan no difference) and when streaming off an internet radio station. And it happens when totally disconnected from the net with just a cable connecting my comp to the router.

I've been watching the cpu usage on the router using the top command, and there's nothing going on there. When the dropouts occur, madplay is just about the only process using up cpu, and it's using about 15%. So the problem isn't lack of cpu power. Nor have I found any individual process that peaks during the dropouts; I've killed off as many as possible but to no avail.

I'm thinking it'd be good to have a program on the router that could buffer like a second or two before sending it out to the usb card. Any idea how this could be done?

Or maybe I need to use another audio driver? How would I go about doing that? =)

Any clues?

fruktsallad
09-12-2006, 13:10
OK, after monitoring the syslog, it turns out the problem seems to be related to the usb-uhci.c. The log gets filled with these messages, just about one per minute, and some of them, although not all of them, result in the audio blanking out for a second or so.

Jan 1 01:06:02 kernel: usb-uhci.c: iso_find_start: gap in seamless isochronous scheduling
Jan 1 01:07:02 kernel: usb-uhci.c: iso_find_start: gap in seamless isochronous scheduling
Jan 1 01:08:02 kernel: usb-uhci.c: iso_find_start: gap in seamless isochronous scheduling

When I had the USB stick connected to the first port and then switched it to the second (lower) port, i got gap-free playback for about 30 minutes. But the error messages above still kept filling the log. Then, out of nowhere, it blanked out at 01:37:02. And then at 01:44:02, '46, '48, '54, '58 and '00. Then I shut it down.

This problem was also described in this thread:
http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=3388&highlight=iso_find_start

Alas, they didn't seem to find a truly satisfying solution; simply switching the ports doesn't do it for me.

Heeeeelp! :confused:

elektronaut
21-01-2007, 22:13
What is the problem with the unslung esound package? After installation esd is not found. The downloaded binary provide from the OP works, but I'd like to use the 'official' stuff.

elektronaut
25-01-2007, 11:38
Found it finally.
/opt/bin/mipsel-linux-esd

dyonisos
20-03-2007, 15:09
I would like to stream the audio input from an USB microphone (attached on WL500gP) over the internet to an appropriate client. Is that possible with esound? If not, how would that work? any working ideas welcome.

many thanks in advance!

WlanMan
10-04-2007, 14:47
Hi

Esd ist for output only to what i know.
If you find some linux commandline aplication that does the job you want, its sure possible to compile it for the asus.

Greets
Wlanman

iamqwerty
04-09-2007, 22:01
This weekend I installed Vista with the new WMP 11. Apperently there is a problem with the asus speaker plugin, so I decided to use the esound daemon with winamp instead. The usb-flash boot procedure didn't work for me, I guess a powered usbhub is required, so I decided to build a custom firmware instead. It's a very simple hack, and works perfectly for me:

First build the oleg 1.9.2.7-7g firmware as explained in the wiki: http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/compilingcustomfirmware

Enter the broadcom/src/gateway/others folder and get esd:

$ wget http://home.in.tum.de/%7Epustka/mipsel/esd
$ chmod +x esd

Delete or rename the binary file waveserver in others.

Create a new file named waveserver with this content:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/esd -d /dev/sound/dsp -tcp -public &

Make it executable:

$ chmod +x waveserver

Finally, open the Makefile in the gateway folder and search for the string waveserver. There will be a comment saying something like: Asus binary crap :). Copy the line with "waveserver" and insert a new line where "esd" replaces "waveserver".

Compile with make image-WL500g.

Ofcourse esd will not be disabled when you select disable waveserver from webgui and apply (you will have to reboot to get that effect). But you wouldn't do this trick if you want to disable esd.

Hope someone find this useful. Cheers

WLAN-Fan
05-02-2008, 10:28
Hi,

what is the main idee for this project?

Do you connect a USB-Sound-Card on your Router?
And than connect analog Sound-Cable from the PC-Sound-Card-Line-Out to the USB-Soud-Card-Line-In?

I habe build this Project HowTo WL-HDD + USB-Sound-Hub als MP3-Player mit PDA-Fernbedinung (http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12042) http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12042
Can you make a picture of your Hardware?
Is it the same like yours?

By.

ChessMaster
28-02-2008, 01:37
Hi there,

I have set up esd on my router as per instructions. Downloaded the winamp plugin etc. Start up esd on the router etc and all is fine, no errors etc and the router tells me that it is running at 48 kHz, 16bit etc.

When I play music in winamp it sends it to my wl-500g router and my USB sound card / adapter starts flashing but there is no sound!

I know that the sound card works because I can plug it into the USB ports on the PC and play winamp through it. It only doesn't seem to work when attached to the router.

Any ideas? I will try any suggestions as this is driving me nuts!

thanks

WLAN-Fan
28-02-2008, 12:02
Hi,

I have set up esd on my router as per instructions. Downloaded the winamp plugin etc.
What is esd? Have you a Link?

You will controll with winamo from your PC the Sound of the USB Soundkarte who is connected on your Router?

Have you installed the USB-Libary?

Gruß.

ChessMaster
02-03-2008, 08:25
Hi there,

What is esd? Have you a Link?

I just followed the instructions on this link:

http://home.in.tum.de/~pustka/WL-500g_as_wireless_soundcard.html

Have you installed the USB-Libary?

Not sure if there is a USB library that I need to install as I would assume that all of what I need is in the latest firmware which I have installed. I assumed that all I needed to install is EsounD daemon.

I am using a 3D USB sound card (PD552). I wonder if there is a problem with the compatibility of the chipset here?

Has anyone managed to use this p0articular USB sound card in this way? As I said in an earlier post, all I get is a long, high pitched tone when I play the audio player through my router.

How do I check what chipset it is using?

Cheers

WLAN-Fan
03-03-2008, 13:41
Hi,

Quelle: Enlightened Sound Daemon EsounD esd (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightened_Sound_Daemon)

Der Enlightened Sound Daemon, kurz EsounD oder esd, ist ein Soundserver der von den Fenstermanagern Enlightenment und GNOME verwendet wird.

Zweck eines Soundservers ist es dafür zu sorgen dass mehrere Anwendungen gleichzeitig Audiosignale ausgeben können. Dazu greifen die Anwendungen selbst nicht mehr direkt auf das Audiogerät, beziehungsweise deren Treiber, zu, sondern senden statt dessen den wiederzugebenden Audiostrom an den Soundserver. Dieser mischt die Ströme und gibt das Ergebnis dann über das Audiogerät wieder.

EsounD verfügt auch über einfache Sequenzerfähigkeiten, so können Samples geladen und später wiedergegeben werden. Weiterhin ist EsounD netzwerktransparent, ein Programm muss also nicht auf dem selben Host wie der Soundserver laufen um Audioströme an diesen zu senden.
By WLAN-Fan.

Tex-Twil
11-04-2008, 18:50

Thanks,
Cunami
Hi,
could you direct me to the place where I ma supposed to add the driver in WinXP SP2 ?

Thanks,
Tex

gogusclipici
11-09-2008, 23:35
Hi guys.

I have installed esd on the router (WL500gp) and the plugin in winamp and everything works great.

But it only works when i start ESd manually. If I try to add it to post-boot it doesn't work.

Here is what i have:

#!/bin/sh
insmod ipt_TTL.o
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i vlan1 -j TTL --ttl-set 128
dropbear
killall waveservermain
killall waveserver

Any thoughts ?

LE: FW Oleg's 1.9.2.7-9

gogusclipici
19-09-2008, 19:57
Nevermind.

It works now. I don't know what the heck was going on.

Thanks anyway.

preacher@wl500g
21-01-2009, 16:46
Well, I bought a cheap USB-adapter via ebay (1€), plugged it in, killed waveserver, startet esd and got a good output using Winamp plugin (resampling) instantly. My adapter is started using 48kHz, 16Bit, 44,1kHz is not supported.

Then I did the following: kill esd, Winamp brought an error message because of this. OK
Copied esd to /opt/ altered post-boot, flashfs save/commit, reboot

So, since that time no more sound! Winamp doesn't complain about transfer errors, it keeps playing until I kill esd.
ESD produces CPU-loads of 1-15% when playing, so it does something.
Sound hardware is also working, because when unplugged or audio.o unloaded /dev/sound is unpopulated.
On my notebook running Vista, the adapter works perfectly!
Output keeps silent, when the output failed for the first time, I got an infinite beep with approx. 400Hz.

I restarted the router several times, started esd manually with different parameters, tired the other output plugin, ... but no result after spending more than two hours solving that problem.

I use a WL-500gP with Koppel v1.69 and mediatomb 0.11.0-r2 static mips32.

Does anybody have a recommendation for me?

kortas
14-06-2009, 14:21
It seems I had similar problem with sound device. It seems I have solved it..

Try to send a wav file using play command, it will output an error, which is ok.

play /opt/harddisk/music/some.wav -d /dev/sound/dsp
and then you should be able play music

more information about my problem is here http://diy.sefikuv.net/asus-500g-deluxe-usb-sound-using-tenx-tp6911