PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Desperately seeking help!!

trebor
19-05-2004, 22:56
I am new at this...so please bear with me and forgive me if much of the following sounds like jibberish...

I bought a WL-500g Router and WL-100g adapter for my laptop. The reason I went with ASUS because I've been told it's one of the easiest to install....NOT!

I followed step by step the instructions in the manual, but I am still unable to connect with my router (i.e. I can't access the "my.router" web page).

When I type ipconfig at the DOS prompt, I get the following..

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.. :
Autoconfiguration IP Address..... : 169.254.120.46
Subnet Mask.......................... : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway..................... :

I tried to call ASUS support...but was put on hold for 20 minutes (long distance call).

I restored the router to default settings several times.

My need is simple, I merely want to access the internet via my laptop...that's it.

Can someone please help me see the light?? :(

Thanks in advance....

Trebor

saga2000
19-05-2004, 23:13
Well I have had the same problem...
I don't know what the problem exactly is,
but I know the prossible solution for it...

You have probably set you network-adapter to get his IP automatically
But the trick is to set it static the first time because you are probably out of the range for the router or something like that I don't get this...

So you will have to set something like this:

IP-Number: 192.168.1.xxx /for xxx choose a number you like between the 1 to 255 (so not 0,1 or 255)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I hope you're problem is solved now
Greetings

Ps I know my english is very poor

trebor
19-05-2004, 23:36
Well I have had the same problem...
I don't know what the problem exactly is,
but I know the prossible solution for it...

You have probably set you network-adapter to get his IP automatically
But the trick is to set it static the first time because you are probably out of the range for the router or something like that I don't get this...

So you will have to set something like this:

IP-Number: 192.168.1.xxx /for xxx choose a number you like between the 1 to 255 (so not 0,1 or 255)

I hope you're problem is solved now
Greetings

Ps I know my english is very poor

Thank you so much for the quick response saga2000. I changed the TCP/IP settings for the wireless adapter to:

IP-Number: 192.168.1.2

Unfortunately, when I try to scan (survey) the router...nothing comes up. I am still unable to access the setup page. Moreover, when I ping 192.168.1.1, all the requests time out.

Am I missing something?

btw...your English is very good :)

benhodg
20-05-2004, 12:54
Are you trying to configure all this via the wireless link to start with?

If your laptop has an ethernet connection on it, then I would get the network setup and the wireless link setup using the wire link, and move to wireless once the basics are running OK.

If nothing's registering in the scan from the wireless card, then either the unit's not exposing the wireless network id (which it should expose by default until you turn it off) or the wireless network itself is turned off in the router.. in which case you're stuck until you get a wired link to the router to resolve the issue I guess.

Once you have a direct link and you've setup your IP address to be 192.168.1.x where (x) is NOT 1, and gateway addr to 192.168.1.1, then you should be able to browse to that address using your local web browser.

Antiloop
20-05-2004, 16:28
hm yes i don't know what your problem is out of your post it seems you don't even have a wireless connection at all.

could be smart to follow this link first: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10

and yes connect with LAN first

trebor
21-05-2004, 14:09
Connected and configured it successfully via ethernet cable.

Thanks all of you for your help! :D

Trebor