PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Flash Drive as USB Storage for FTP server

FIB
11-12-2003, 19:26
Is it possible to use a Flash Drive (Memory Stick) as USB Storage for the FTP-server?

I have unsuccessfully tried to use a Apacer Handy Steno 2.0 128M, Smart card reader (no-name) with 32M CF, Canon IXUS 400 digital camera + 512M CF.

Antiloop
11-12-2003, 19:56
YES that's possible, in fact i use sometimes my

PQI USB 2.0 128mb pendrive(or whatever you want to call it) as FTP at my WL500g

have you already tried to do the FTP root access trick and then to access your usb device ?

my usb is mounted as /mnt/usbfs/ in my router

MrMagu
11-12-2003, 20:29
Please remember that some flash devices have a limited number of writes before they die.

MrMagu

Antiloop
11-12-2003, 20:55
i know.. anyway 2 years warranty.. who cares :D

as you've seen already i'm creating a new forum for Working and Non Working hardware reports.. could be very usefull.. especially because i'm looking too for a good working IDE(3,5inch) USB(2) case

only the ftp protocol sucks for setting up a sort of NAS (network attached storage)

MrMagu
11-12-2003, 21:03
If we can get telnet working on that plastic box, maybe Samba will too.

Antiloop
11-12-2003, 21:06
damn.. you removed the thread while i was answering :)

yes, that would be great and possible in my eyes.. only the problem at this moment is that we can't add STATIC serviceses

the WL500g reboots sometimes itselves because an unknown reason to me, that would mean you have to start/upload those services everytime again (and i'm using a fairly big house network with people who would be using samba at that time and not being able to start it anyhow)

and because of the power consumption of the WL500g it would be a perfect (SMALL) network server (NAS/PrintServer/AP/Router)

MrMagu
11-12-2003, 21:14
(I pushed the wrong button: New instead of Reply - sorry!)

I think it reboots because of bugs in the firmware, and ASUS seem to be updating it very often. When it gets stable enough this might not be an issue.

Mine has been up "1 Day : 5 Hour : 37 Min : 2 Sec", and being hammered by eager Emule-clients all the time. I haven't bothered (dared?) upgrading to the last version yet.

Antiloop
11-12-2003, 21:23
Originally posted by MrMagu
If we can get telnet working on that plastic box, maybe Samba will too.

FYI.. telnet is already working if you want..