PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : wl500g dead, dead, dead... Or not ?

Antiloop
01-05-2004, 00:31
ok this is not a question, but something that may occur to someone as it has occured to me this time

the next thing I was upgrading a WL500g of a friend from firmware 1.6.5.3 (official) to 1.7.5.6CR2 all going fine.
Device upgrade went allright, booted up again and worked 'perfectly' after fucking with his ADSL SpeedTouch modem to set it in bridge, and applying like 20-30 times PPTP passwords etc in the WL500g the device HUNG

after poweroff, the device booted up correctly Wireless was working, IP was assigned also. pinging 192.168.1.1 did work BUT
telnet was not responding, also websetup was not responding
nothing strange i thought, just tried the restore button (when powered on) no action followed, i tried the button when powering on and it went into RECOVERY mode
i uploaded CR2 again: restoration completed succesfully
after it was booted up again, Wireless etc was assigned but still telnet+websetup was dead. i've repeated this like 10 times but it had no harm.

very strange, after restoring 1.6.5.3 into his device
the wl500g booted up again correctly and came normally online

after restoring default configuration i've entered the needed things (his adsl device was in router mode again) and upgraded to CR2, it seems to work correctly now

so it looked like some nvram settings had been corrupted which prevented the device to bootup properly.

so for the rest i still don't have an explanation for this. maybe it's an idea to create a firmware resque sometime, which does not make use of nvram and restores it or something like that..

Royan
01-05-2004, 09:41
This has happened to me with 1.7.5.6-2 as well.
Only with me the router stopped responding during a portscan from grc.com.

I could still access the internet, but the router itself didn't respond to either telnet or web-interface.

I had to restore to 1.6.5.3 before I got it to respond again. After that I upgraded to 1.7.5.6-2, restored settings, and all was back to the way it should be.

Royan

Oleg
01-05-2004, 10:18
What I've observed once - the router have detected what it has 7MB of RAM instead of 16MB (this is due to wrong expectations made by broadcom in the firmware). The solution is simple - power off router for several minutes.
As for GRC - probably your log was to big after scanning.

Antiloop
01-05-2004, 11:50
This has happened to me with 1.7.5.6-2 as well.
Only with me the router stopped responding during a portscan from grc.com.

I could still access the internet, but the router itself didn't respond to either telnet or web-interface.

I had to restore to 1.6.5.3 before I got it to respond again. After that I upgraded to 1.7.5.6-2, restored settings, and all was back to the way it should be.

Royan

note the internet connection was dead as well..

Royan
01-05-2004, 16:26
What I've observed once - the router have detected what it has 7MB of RAM instead of 16MB (this is due to wrong expectations made by broadcom in the firmware). The solution is simple - power off router for several minutes.
As for GRC - probably your log was to big after scanning.

Yeah, I've later figured that that probably was the problem...
Is there any way for a linux newbie (namely me :) ) to control what is logged and what is not in order to keep the log from getting too big (without having to reboot)?

note the internet connection was dead as well...

Yeah, I noticed. My point was merely to say that although in different circumstances, the situation where I had to revert to earlier firmware version, and then "re-upgrade" happened to me as well.

It was more of a "public-service announcement" to say that occasionally, for different reasons and different symptoms, the router locks-up. In those cases it has been shown that you need to revert to earlier firmware and then re-upgrade to make the router function as it should.

Royan

Oleg
01-05-2004, 20:30
No, there is no way to control this now. In the future versions of mine firmware log size will be limited by using circular buffer.

Royan
01-05-2004, 21:28
Ok.
Thanks

Royan

goudkamp74
08-05-2004, 11:33
Hi!

My router is giving problems. I upgraded to the latest 1.7.5.6 firmware and after the usual reboot, I tried to set the router into 'router' mode, without NAT and such because my ISDN router is doing that.

And now the Asus won't startup anymore, the WLAN led stays off for ever and the normal single blink of the power led doesn't occur also anymore.

I CAN get the router in restore mode, ping it to 192.168.1.1, upgrade or downgrade the firmware ( I tried them all, also the original Asus ones) but after a short and even long (5 minutes) powerdown, the router doesn't boot.

Normally, if I take out all cables, I'm able to reset the router's config using the restore button. This time: nothing...

Help! What can I do??

Thanx, Martijn

Antiloop
08-05-2004, 15:15
maybe you can try a very early firmware
version 1.1.3.3 or something

can be found in the Firmware Releases

goudkamp74
10-05-2004, 10:31
Hi, thanx. I tried that too but to no prevail. Still doesn't work. What else can I check ? The WLAN led doesn't come on after many boots and no web or ping.

goudkamp74
10-05-2004, 12:23
If I try to boot from an external USB disk / key, maybe the router could work again? How can I see a boot log ?

Oleg
10-05-2004, 12:40
Please clarify the following: you're able to use router after the firmware restoration, but one you switch it off you're no longer able to access it?

goudkamp74
10-05-2004, 18:02
No, I cannot use the router at all. The only thing that works is the switch :-). It boots, power led blinks once, the WAN led comes up (when I attach my ISDN router) but the AIR led never turns on, the router remains unpingable, WEB config doesn't respond and the LAN clients don't get an IP.

In restore mode, I can ping the router at 192.168.1.1 and put inside a new firmware but after de compulsary reset, the router behaves as above.

Antiloop
11-05-2004, 00:13
about the pinging, the fact i have noticed is that EVERY ip is pingable. (also outside the subnet)

MrBean
11-05-2004, 18:08
My WL-500g suddenly won't give any access and every 10 seconds all lights go off and back on (restarting). At that time network traffic is broken (for lets say 2 seconds), and then i am talking about ethernet traffic and not wireless because wireless does not work at all. It is since new firmware is installed or it has a hardware problem. Actually it is exactly like the problem of a previous post.
The AIR light also doesn't come on and the router is not seen by the discover utility. Web access or pinging to 192.168.1.1 also doesn't work so i can't see what is going on. I have the option to bring it back but i can't stand not knowing whats going on. Does anyone have a clue ?

Ark+
24-05-2004, 20:42
Hi,
Asus has posted a new version of "Asus utility". There is no history file in the package, thus i do not know what is new, but it is worth a try.

Antiloop
25-05-2004, 09:29
My WL-500g suddenly won't give any access and every 10 seconds all lights go off and back on (restarting). At that time network traffic is broken (for lets say 2 seconds), and then i am talking about ethernet traffic and not wireless because wireless does not work at all. It is since new firmware is installed or it has a hardware problem. Actually it is exactly like the problem of a previous post.
The AIR light also doesn't come on and the router is not seen by the discover utility. Web access or pinging to 192.168.1.1 also doesn't work so i can't see what is going on. I have the option to bring it back but i can't stand not knowing whats going on. Does anyone have a clue ?
you should recover it then: press the restore button, then connect power to the device. after doing that the Power led begins to flash, start the recovery procedure from your pc and everything should be fine after finishing

Snigel
16-06-2004, 17:15
My last thread seemed to disappear, maybe it was because of a misunderstanding and som whine from my side.

Back to what was in it.

Changed some settings in my wl500g from the web interface and it died. The lights are lit and so on but I can't connect to it anymore.

I started with just trying to reset settings to default with the button on the back. Without any success. From what I understood from the manual I was going to hold it in for 5 seconds until pwr started flashing. Then it was restored. Well it didn't help me.

So I tried to restore it with firmware restoration, but I can't, until I hold the reset button so pwr starts flashing. I restored with several firmwares, but still can't reach it.

Interesting is that when I use a static ip for pinging it, I sent 130 pings to it and 4 of them got reply! So strange, why just 4 of them? When I hold the reset button until pwr starts flashing I can ping it without any problems, but no webinterface and so on.

What am I doing wrong, and why did it die, I just changed some settings in the webinterface?

I can't tell which settings it were though, cause it was a friend of mine who played around with it. :(

Antiloop
16-06-2004, 20:56
ehm no.. troubles with the thread table at the database.. vbulletin3 does not seem to be stable enough :confused: i'll fix soon a cron that will check everyday and fixes the database, so those errors would not appear anymore (hopefully)

sorry for the troubles..

Antiloop
16-06-2004, 20:57
anyway.. try downgrading to a lower firmware.. try 1.6.5.3 for example that one did the trick for me a while ago

older firmwares can be found at http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware

Snigel
16-06-2004, 21:06
Already tried that one :/
What can have happened, and how should I fix it? It's very strange.
Went and bought an used ap+802.11a pci card for 30€ supporting a/b/g so I got some wlan at least.

Antiloop
16-06-2004, 23:40
have you tried version 1.1.3.3 too?
maybe we should have a firmware which only restores nvram at time of booting back to safe values.
maybe someone has time to fix this

Oleg
17-06-2004, 07:15
Yes, seems nvram settings are bad. I will try prepare minimal firmware which just brings up LAN & starts telnet...

Oleg
17-06-2004, 10:22
Try this firmware (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-recover.trx). Once started it's ifups wired LAN iface, set it to 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and launchs telnetd. No password required to access it. You need to setup your PC with static address, something like 192.168.1.2. Try to telnet to wl500g, to check it's booted. After that you could examine your nvram using "nvram show".

Snigel
17-06-2004, 13:06
I will try it now, thank you all for being so helpful.

Snigel
17-06-2004, 13:23
I tried now, the router boots and I can telnet to it. When I write nvram show I see a lot of settings for the router. Don't really know what to look for. Tried to install a newer firmware after this without success.

Oleg
17-06-2004, 13:28
Ok. At least it's alive. ;-) You need to look thru it to find something unusual using

nvram show|more

or try this one to reset to defaults:

nvram_x default

after that you should be able (i've not verified this) to install regular firmwares

Snigel
18-06-2004, 12:00
I'll try that one then.

Snigel
18-06-2004, 12:11
IT WORKS IT WORKS.

I don't know how to thank you. But I really appreciated this.
Thank You

Maybe we should add the restoration firmware to the others.

//Adam.

Oleg
18-06-2004, 12:28
So, nvram_x default did the trick?

Snigel
18-06-2004, 19:01
Yes, but I noticed something strange though. I connected a cable to the wan port, the led lit, but the router said that nothing was connected. So I can't get any connection. But the other ports and the wlan works normally. Any Idea?

Oleg
18-06-2004, 19:48
Which connection type you've specified? Anyway, this is probably temporarily thing, it should continue connecting normal.

rongogo
06-07-2004, 17:38
Sorry my english is not so good.

I have tryed today the firmware WL500g_9.8.1.2_en, and i didnt like it
So i have make the wl500g-1.7.5.6-5 on it, and make a reset with the reset button 10 sec.
I put the power off/on, and now i can't connect to the wl 500g.
The air led go's not on, the wan and lan are on, but they give me no ip.
I have tried to set my pc ip static, 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0. but no response on 192.168.1.1.
So i Can't make no connection with telnet

Help what can i do, have i mayby destroy my bootloader, can i fix this problem ? :(

Regards Rongogo

Antiloop
06-07-2004, 18:39
read the link below
this will probably do the trick
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=515

rongogo
06-07-2004, 19:06
I have read it before, but when i hold the restore button, en then power on.
the power led goos not blinking, it burns continuos, and can not come in to the restore mode. :(
what setting can i make bij my static ip on the pc for the recover mode ?
is 192.168.1.2 ok

Rongogo

Antiloop
07-07-2004, 01:00
192.168.1.2 would be OK yes..

allthough the powerled SHOULD go blinking otherwise you can't do a recovery afaik

if you can manage to get your device into recovery modus, then you can follow the thread above

i've performed with succes a downgrade to the recovery firmware from Oleg, resetted things to default then flashed to 1.7.5.9-2 and flashed to 9.8.1.2

good luck!

rongogo
07-07-2004, 10:13
He is dead +++ :rolleyes:

I got now a new one.
Before i had one with hardware rev 1.0, now i got hardware rev 2.4
I'm looking now for good firmware that makes wifi stable, and with a litle more power output, enyone sugestions ?

Rongogo

Antiloop
07-07-2004, 10:15
other question, how do you mean stable wifi?
this has almost always been stable !?

rongogo
07-07-2004, 10:26
other question, how do you mean stable wifi?
this has almost always been stable !?

I Get the problems before when i was downloading, that the most time the conection was lost, en than i mus reconect with my wifi card.

rongogo

njs
09-07-2004, 14:06
Hi all,

As reported previously by many people, after a short period using eMule or other p2p application the wireless LAN goes down being necessary to reboot the router.
This was happening to me with my Intel 2100 3B card, everytime. Yesterday I tested a SMC 802.11g and guess what... No problems at all... All night downloading from eMule, I even increased the number of connections in eMule to test it thoroughly.

Could this be a problem of brands/implementation ?? Does this happen only with Intel 2100 3B cards ?

BTW: I'm using firmware 1.6.5.3 (no custom)

Regards,
NJS

GJAman
09-07-2004, 14:16
I'have also a 2100 3B card in the notebook (Asus M3700N) and had also problems with the connection when using Shareaza 2.0

I haven't test it yet with de Asus WL-100g PCMCIA card, because my internet conection is not 54 Mbps (But 1 Mbps download and as you now the 2100 3B card is 11 Mbps) :D

Maybe a while test it this weekend if I have time

realcash
15-07-2004, 15:20
@rongongo:
I got the same problem. Plz help us hier http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=631&highlight=connect

bumper
31-08-2004, 12:42
For all others who may be struggling out there.

I have had a lot of problems with my WL500G, and it came very very close to being sent back to the vendor. WAN port dying was most frequent but LAN ports died just about as frequently. I did try different setup recommendations posted in these forums that looked promising, but failed all after about 8 hours of operations.

While looking for a way to force my dsl-modem port to 10mb, I found a related post of someone complaining his modem died ever since he installed SP2, which I did too. The problem seems to be related to UPNP, I disabled it on both my machines and have been running since then, just passed the 24 hours limit and counting!

Hope this helps others
Bumper

Jean-Fabrice
04-09-2004, 10:37
Well,

Flashed my wl500g with 1.8.1.9. Flashing took a long time....strange and after rebooting, no connexion at all...

No led is flashing, so unable to make use recovery method (device not found...) and I d'ont get any IP.
Have tried the reset button more than 5 seconds, rebooting => no more result
Have tried the reset button while powering up,more than 5 seconds => no results....

Start to worried....

Anyone has an idea ?

Oleg
04-09-2004, 11:35
Have tried the reset button while powering up,more than 5 seconds => no results....

Have you pushed RESTORE before powering on and released after power on?

Jean-Fabrice
04-09-2004, 12:46
Well, I've tried all sort of combinaison with the restore button : before power up, while power-up, after power-up, less than 5 seconds, more than 5, etc.

I've tried setting an IP on my PC in the supposed original LAN of the wl500g (192.168.1.x), no answer from 192.168.1.1 ; and in my previously set-up LAN (192.168.0.x), no answer from 192.168.1.254 (wl500g)

Leds are :
Power up : on / not flashing
Wan : on / flashing from time to time
other : on when connected / not flashing.
Air : off

:(( think it is definitively dead....

JF

jolanthe
04-09-2004, 14:07
Have you pushed RESTORE before powering on and released after power on?

Hallo Oleg, thanks for the hint with the sequence of reset and powering up. i did follow you sequence and now the power LED is flashing which is acc. to the manual fail of firmware upgrade. Any idea how to reset?

Many Thanks
Jolanthe

Oleg
04-09-2004, 14:38
Hallo Oleg, thanks for the hint with the sequence of reset and powering up. i did follow you sequence and now the power LED is flashing which is acc. to the manual fail of firmware upgrade. Any idea how to reset?

Many Thanks
Jolanthe
Reset or recover? To reset from blinking just power off the unit. To recover use firmware restoration tool.

Jean-Fabrice
07-09-2004, 10:40
Well,

I flashed my wl500 with 9.8.1.9 and it is now really dead. Don't know why..

Have try all the RESTORE tips with no success : POWER LED never starts flashing. Have try everything like tftp at boot time, firmware restoration tool, restore button : wl500 seems totally dead.

Does anybody know if there is a hard way to restore a correct firmware, using an external hard tool and if so, what is the component to be flashed ?

Thanx a lot.

Jean-fabrice

Antiloop
07-09-2004, 11:22
uhm

what about this thread?

for another way of restoring possible refer to this thread:

Jean-Fabrice
07-09-2004, 13:58
Thanx for your help Antiloop.

I've read all the possible Chupa threads about restoration and try everything but nothing help.

About serial access to console, it would be great (just to know what's wrong in the wl) but as far as I understand, I cannot simply access console with a USB/Serial converter and a vt100 emul., can I ?

Jean-Fabrice

Antiloop
07-09-2004, 14:05
Thanx for your help Antiloop.

I've read all the possible Chupa threads about restoration and try everything but nothing help.

About serial access to console, it would be great (just to know what's wrong in the wl) but as far as I understand, I cannot simply access console with a USB/Serial converter and a vt100 emul., can I ?

Jean-Fabrice

yes but what about this thread,, am i hearing echoes ?

regarding the console stuff you should ask TechniK for help he's the 'expert' atm for me :)

Jean-Fabrice
07-09-2004, 14:34
yes, you're hearing well. :o sorry

What about this method for WRT54G : http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/redhat/wrt54g_revival.html

Does something similar could exist for wl500g ?

Jean-fabrice

Jean-Fabrice
07-09-2004, 14:52
Looking at wl500g internal pic, I found an AMD chip named AM29LV320D.
does this chips contains flash information ?

I found spec @ http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23579c5.pdf

and saw that there is a reset pin at PIN12.

Do you think that grounding this pin can helps ? or will my wl500g explose when grounded ;)

Jean-Fabrice

Antiloop
07-09-2004, 20:50
Looking at wl500g internal pic, I found an AMD chip named AM29LV320D.
does this chips contains flash information ?

I found spec @ http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23579c5.pdf

and saw that there is a reset pin at PIN12.

Do you think that grounding this pin can helps ? or will my wl500g explose when grounded ;)

Jean-Fabrice

i suggest you to find out what pin 15 and 16 do exactly
would be a worth trying and also very interresting

what about the echo, you are naming 2 different firmware versions which have failed ? if it is still the same failure please don't open a new thread for it in the future anymore

Oleg
07-09-2004, 21:26
yes, you're hearing well. :o sorry

What about this method for WRT54G : http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/redhat/wrt54g_revival.html

Does something similar could exist for wl500g ?

Jean-fabrice
For this to work you need a working PMON which does not work to you as seems. But you could try this anyway.

Rynno
07-09-2004, 23:13
WL500-g FW Version 1.7.5.6-CR5 worked fine for a few months. This week the
wireless connection nearly disappeared. Can't connect anymore (and yes :rolleyes: i read the wifi web 128 for dummies...)
Think there might be a strange problem. The WL100g PCMCIA card connects fine with the other network from
my neighbours. Stumbling around with Network Stumbler gives a short (one vertical green stroke of) signal of my own
wireless network every 10 minutes. Reset to default (reset >5 seconds) doesn't help, inserting one of the backed up
settings doesn't help. Ofcourse the "Block Broadcast SSID" is set to "No" for testing.
BTW, no settings in the router had been change --> Wifi worked fine, shut down
my laptop, next morning Wifi dead... (Wired connections are working ok)
Tomorrow i'll try flashing an old FW version, then go back to 1.7.5.6-CR5

Antiloop
07-09-2004, 23:26
turn it off for 10 minutes and then power on :D
50/50 chance it works

Jean-Fabrice
07-09-2004, 23:46
Ok, will give it a try if Asus doesn't accept RMA.

According to you, is the AMD AM29LV320D the good chip to be resetted (like the Intel one in WRT) ?

Jean-Fabrice

Rynno
07-09-2004, 23:57
turn it off for 10 minutes and then power on :D
50/50 chance it works

Thanks,
It's alive.... Wireless output from the Wl500g.
Still no connection wit the laptop, but that's another (small) problem i guess.
Must install a small fan or a heatsink on the wifi card inside the Asus someday.
Let you know.

(Antiloop --> en de groeten uit Geldrop)

Rynno
08-09-2004, 07:54
Next morning..... No wireless, think i have a hardware failure.

Oleg
08-09-2004, 08:22
Just to clarify - wrt54g method do not "reset" the chip, but causes CRC or invalid nvram content errors in the pmon, causing it to go to recover mode. wl500g on the other hand are always goes to recover mode if it detects that RESTORE button is pressed during the power on.
It does not matter who has produced the FLASH.
Also, Reset PIN will not clear FLASH, but reset the internal CPU. This will not help you.

Jean-Fabrice
08-09-2004, 08:35
Just to clarify - wrt54g method do not "reset" the chip, but causes CRC or invalid nvram content errors in the pmon, causing it to go to recover mode.

Yep, that's what I saw reading the Intel flash datasheet. VoidMain is shortenning A19-A18 to produce CRC error.
I will try to shorten the same on the MAD flash (even if they are not close each other).

I think MY wl500g must be different because it doesn't go to recovery mode when I pressed RESTORE button at power on

Jean-fabrice

win139
13-09-2004, 08:45
My WL500G was also inaccessible the wireless in these few days. I didn't know why, just shut it down and turn on again.
But it rarely happened before untile these few days......

Rynno
14-09-2004, 20:25
My WL500G was also inaccessible the wireless in these few days. I didn't know why, just shut it down and turn on again.
But it rarely happened before untile these few days......

This is not the case, i'm having this problem for nearly two weeks now.
A few minutes ago i flashed to Firmware 1.7.5.9-CR5 without success,
(Router works fine accept the wireless) this really must be a hardware problem.
After powering down the WL-500g for 10 minutes the wireless works for
a short time, after that no wireless anymore.
I really think there is a bad connection somewhere on the internal wifi card.
Must go back to the shop and claim my warranty :mad:

fastfox
21-09-2004, 16:29
ill give it a try

fastfox
22-09-2004, 08:44
deactivating UPnP does help,no disconnect since yesterday,even with P2P programm and mass connection on wan line

thx

Rynno
27-09-2004, 17:42
Must go back to the shop and claim my warranty :mad:
Last weekend, went back to the shop with my router. Servicedesk didn't
ask me anything, and did not respond to my remarks but they gave me a new
WL-500g instantly. At home, tried my new router ( it's indeed a newer one,
because i wrote down the serials of my old one ... :cool: ) but same problem :eek:
While writing this message i'm happily connected to my neighbours wifi network!
(WL100g card) Laptop works, router should be working. Maybe i'm a dumbo after
all??? Strange that my backup configs which worked perfectly don't work anymore...
And no, this isn't a SP2 conflict as a haven't installed it yet.
One thing i did notice: Netstumbler does close down the Wireless Zero Configuration.
Closing down Netstumbler start the service again automatically.
Not that i'm using it, but i am trying a lot to get this thing wifiíng again.

To be continued...

Pandabeer
27-09-2004, 20:17
:mad: Can somebody help we...who can help me to restore de NVRAM (HW version 1.0)

See also

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=5356#post5356

Antiloop
27-09-2004, 23:08
try to start from scratch when configuring the router

if you restore backup settings it will restore corrupted stuff too, and this will result everytime in the same failures

Antiloop
27-09-2004, 23:33
no posting in howto!!!

read your Private messages please, I've offered you an option there a while ago

bsd234
28-09-2004, 03:52
when turning on the router, the wireless LED always doesn't light up.
But the wired connection is ok. When browsing to the router and look at the wireless part in status & log, the channel is 0 and click "refresh" again, the channel becomes 2147439232. Anyone has such experience? :confused:

Antiloop
28-09-2004, 08:29
when turning on the router, the wireless LED always doesn't light up.
But the wired connection is ok. When browsing to the router and look at the wireless part in status & log, the channel is 0 and click "refresh" again, the channel becomes 2147439232. Anyone has such experience? :confused:

no do a restore of your defaults turn your machine off for 10 minutes and start over

Pandabeer
28-09-2004, 17:27
Sorry, I didn't know that there was a way for private messaging..Antiloop please check your inbox, thanks for your offer....Hopefully you can help me...

Rynno
28-09-2004, 22:54
try to start from scratch when configuring the router

if you restore backup settings it will restore corrupted stuff too, and this will result everytime in the same failures

I always make backups with comments if there are problems,
the backup up router config was working perfectly (This time i'm sure).
There are also wired problems now. Network shares between 3 XP machines
are not visible, or some metafoorproblem appear and no network workgroup available at all.

Summary:
Internet works always. (wired, no wireless)
XP <--> Win 98 shares works fine.
VNC (remote / client) XP<--> XP / XP <--> Win 98 always works.
XP <--> XP shares never works.
Opening the network workgroup sometimes doesn't work at all, and takes a while to display a metafoor error.

This evening i tried some setting with masterbrowsing auto/off/on, no succes.
I wanted to restore a recent backup on my laptop, i suspect that thing the most but that isn't easy without a network.
Maybe i'll kick this thread to another one, it becomes heavily offtopic
:D

Rynno
19-10-2004, 21:04
There are also wired problems now. Network shares between 3 XP machines
are not visible, or some metafoorproblem appear and no network workgroup available at all.

Wired problems are all solved now, wireless still dead...

Reinstalled XP on my laptop, new Asus WL-100g Drivers, new Asus Wlan control
center, checked settings without success. I really suspect the WL-100g card at
this moment, although it can connect to my neighbours wifi ad-hoc network sometimes.
Or could it be i got my old WL-500g router replaced with another defective one at the shop???

Rynno
24-11-2004, 20:51
Wireless working fine a for few weeks now, the only change i made
was changing the channel. Very strange, i tried this before so shoot me...

jbkerner
30-01-2005, 05:58
:) Yesterday my WL-500G had the same symptoms like below after playing with NVRAM. The restore utility doesn`t work but i found a great solution (Thanks JockyW:http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1451&highlight=dead

Recovery!!:
-----------
1. pull power cable and wait 20 seconds
2. keep button pressed and connect power cable: power led should flash
3. ping 192.168.1.1 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2
4. run Asus Firmware restoration tool, select firmware file (e.g. wg01080109_WL500g_EN.trx) and press upload.
After some seconds press the Abort button or wait until it says "Upload fails! Please check the connection"
5. from a dos box or linux console run: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wg01080109_WL500g_EN.trx
6. tftp returns something like: "Transfer successful: 3731456 bytes in 2 seconds, 1865728 bytes/s" if it doesn't redo steps 1-5 (sometimes I needed three or four times before it worked)
7. after ca. 80 seconds your Asus should reboot

I did this procedure with
1. wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
2. wl500g-recover.trx
Then I could flash any firmware and the device was alive again.....

ciao,
jbk

recker
27-02-2005, 09:24
hi

wonder if any one can help. I was playing with nvram and like muppet newbi that I am did a typo and now my router doesent work.

switch it on and there is now power light, it only works as switch. tried the reset and have been looking around in this forum but still not able to get it back to life. cant seem to find anything on the net ether. in brife there is

no power light
not able to ping it on 192.168.1.1
asus firmware restoration dosent find it
but works as a switch

thanks
the recker

Oleg
27-02-2005, 09:33
If it's still under warranty - replace it. It still probably could be bringed back to life, but this will void your warranty (you will need to open the box).
So, what you've changed in the nvram exactly?

recker
27-02-2005, 09:42
was trying enabling the extra 16 mb of ram think I mist typed something, my falt for not double checking things.

a little knowledge is very dangeros

thanks

Stevio
27-02-2005, 13:03
Well yesterdat i had no powerlight too, but after an hour , i put the power-connector in the router and it suddenly got powered, but i think u already tried that

Hoorna
13-03-2005, 11:12
@Oleg

Yesterday I bought an ASUS 500g deluxe. Because the serial number starts with 4c I decided to upgrade unit bootloader. I followed your instructions on this forum step by step and it everything went ok. The process goes exactly as you describe ending with resetting the unit to defaults. After that I upgraded the firmware to 1.9.3.5 beta.

When I was ready with these procedures I putted the unit in AP-mode; my ADSL-modem is acting as DHCP-server. Unfortunately I had now a problem which there was not before. In AP-mode the WAN port is dead (however the LED is burning). It doesn't matter if I instruct the unit to get an IP-address from the DHCP-server or if I give the unit an appropriate static IP-address. Downgrading the unit to firmware 1.8.2.1 doesn't help; the problem persists.
In Home Gateway mode the WAN port not dead. The WAN port is than working normally.

What should I do now. If I put the cable of my ADSL-modem in an LAN port everything is working fine. But when doing that I loses one LAN port which I need for another PC; in that case I have one LAN-port to short.

Oleg, can you help me out?

Oleg
23-03-2005, 14:38
Added this to Known Bugs Section.
I believe this should be fixed by ASUS in the firmware.

I will also try to fix this in the custom firmware.

heinz57g
10-04-2005, 00:35
have just taken 3 hrs to read thru this forum, and now my head feels just like my WL-500g: DEAD.

upgraded from 1.8.1.9 to 1.9.2.7, worked fine but WLAN a bit slow. dealer said to upgrade to 1.9.3.6 (beta but from ASUS website), and that apperently killed the unit. no access the normal way, and even the recovery tool (firmware restoration) comes back with either no unit found, or starts to update for a second or two, then FAILED, CHECK CONNECTION (wired !).

i think i have tried all i could find, but there are so many ifs and buts in the mssgs here in the forum that at the end i know less than intitially. all versions of pressing reset and turning on, trying the CLEAR-NVRAM version, the IP adresses given (where in XP to enter anyhow?), and whatever.

does anybody here have some kind of summary, some kind of steps a simple user like me can follow, step by step, without going thru a million websites that to me seem to make it only more confusing, most of then telling different stories anyhow?

i have used the SEARCH function, i have read thru everything i could, but ... the blasted thing still plays dead.

and i am supposed to have it installed by monday ...

greetings - heinz -

tomilius
10-04-2005, 00:50
Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Right-click > Properties > Internet Protocol > Properties

heinz57g
10-04-2005, 01:00
have been trying this now 5 times:

>> 1. pull power cable and wait 20 seconds
>> 2. keep button pressed and connect power cable: power led should flash
>> 3. ping 192.168.1.1 should reply else redo steps 1 and 2

no chance: pinging comes back HOST NOT REACHABLE.

so also no further steps possible. any ideas?

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g
10-04-2005, 01:35
tomilius, thats where i thought it was, and where i had entered it, but no difference in the results: none.

on the ping i now get TIME LIMIT EXEEDED

greetings - heinz -

tomilius
10-04-2005, 04:04
Come to think of it, I had this same problem. Leave your router unplugged for an extended period of time for it to cool off. Try... an hour. If that doesn't help, leave it unplugged overnight.

I put my router in the freezer once for about 3 minutes. Couldn't hurt, I suppose.

tomilius
10-04-2005, 04:43
Just to also mention it here...
You did try leaving the router off for a while, right?

heinz57g
10-04-2005, 09:18
10-20 minutes at a time, should be enough, no?

i have now become something like an acrobat, pressing an almost non-existing button in the back, at the same time plugging in the powercable, and all the time watching the LED in the front. while with my third hand selecting files on the computer and pressing ENTER. forget the mouse ...

greetings - heinz -

PS: one thing that i cant quite figure out: does not occasionally somebody of ASUS (sales/service) check this most competent board? they MUST have a foolproof method to reset a dead unit, they would not have the time to try 32 systems how to get back to recovery mode and to flash a new system.
i was not trying to be ironic when i said 'competent' to the members of this board, but it just seems that too many opinions sometimes overshadow the real (and often simple) way.

tomilius
10-04-2005, 19:42
The truth is, most people don't have as much trouble as you do. I didn't have your EXACT problem, but my router was doing something to the effect of sending out 1 packet per second (really). I unplugged it and plugged it back in but that didn't help. I had to leave it unplugged--all night. Sure, 10 or 20 minutes sounds reasonable... but it was 2 AM or so when I was doing this anyway, and I had thought it was broken so I just left it unplugged all night and it worked normally in the morning.

It's not that there's a single, simple, working way to solve these problems. It's situation-dependent, I'd expect.

But here's the guide that should get it working or your router is toast (probably overheated and melted something):
1. Leave the router completely unplugged for 12 hours at room temperature or below.
2. Boot the router with the button on the back held down.
3. Notice the blinking LEDs.
4. Now, set a wired computer's IP address to anything in the 192.168.1.0 subnet (probably other than 192.168.1.1--192.168.1.10 works).
5. Run the ASUS Firmware Restoration utility.
6. Use it to upload some firmware--some good firmware, not corrupted or such.

That stuff should work under any circumstances... or your router is toast.

heinz57g
11-04-2005, 07:12
tom, did just that. night in the cooler DID make a difference, at least it was found and recognized.

the update with the 1.8.1.9 version the also started, also a new feeling. it went for about 15-20 seconds, then broke of with the usual FAILED error and asking me to check the connection.

then unplugged it, held RESET for 10 seconds, turned it on again, and now it
is recognized in DISCOVER, but when i check the version, it shows 1.9.2.7,
which is the one i had tried to flash on saturday, and which broke the whole thing.

what do i have now? half a 1819, half a 1927? a corrupted one? setup and all
screens show up normally, but i will only have a chance to check operation late this afternoon. and as a newcomer in this field i will probably not find out any hidden mistakes of inconsistencies for quite a while, or untill it is too late.

any suggestions? try the whole thing over again?

greetings - heinz -

tomilius
11-04-2005, 07:48
The WL-500g really is a great router--probably has more features, or at least more feature potential, than any other. You can try leaving it in the cooler even LONGER as that seems logical... or you can exchange it. Or you can return it. I, myself, haven't even had the best of luck with this router when it comes to stability or reliability, and if it keeps it up, I may return mine myself.

But I doubt it. I just got a VPN on this thing!

Stand it up, too. That seems to help it not overheat.

heinz57g
11-04-2005, 10:02
overheating or overuse cannot really be the issue on mine: was brandnew out of the box on friday, only worked that day for about 30 minutes (with 1819), then software was upgraded to 1836, which slowed it down a bit (trying for less than an hour), and friday into saturday night the disaster with 1927 happened.

so alltogether it might have been turned one one hour+!

how do you explain this putting it in the cooler, and the long waiting times in-between? never heard this on anything non-mechanical. have unfrozen stuck HDDs this way, but this was 15 years ago.

and yes, from all i hear it is a great router, and compared to many others it is even more reliable. but ...

now for an update: my mixture of 1819 and 1927 firmware (as shown) really does not work, found this out even before i can get to a DSL modem this afternoon. the unit is found when using DISCOVER, and i can even get into the menus.

when trying to acces it from the IE (using my.router or 192....), no connection can be made at all. it shows NO CABLE CONNECTED (which is not true anyhow).

returning it to the dealer might be the best option. but there i might get into a loop: it was the dealer who suggested to update to 1927!

any idea if i stick to 1819, as the unit comes out of the box, how bad that one is and where the main deficiencies or problems are? can i live with it?

greetings - heinz -

barsju
11-04-2005, 10:07
Well it's obviously broken.. Why not return it and get a new one from the store?
S.

heinz57g
11-04-2005, 10:47
that is naturally an option, as it is only 3 days old. but: officially all guarantees are invalid if one tries to flash anything BETA, and 1927 is marked as such even on ASUSs website. so i am not sure where i stand.

but it still leaves the main question: WHY did this happen? following all instructions to the point, and having enough experience form the past? how did it happen? will it happen on the next unit too? shall i just stay with 1819?

what am i then missing, what problems will come up and will remain unsolved?

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g
13-04-2005, 13:33
so, i am back, a day later than planned i managed to test this strange WL-500g.

seems to work fine, both the router part, as well as the WLAN and the connection to the DSL modem. now i am not a power user, so i cannot yet identify any small problems, but standard things seem ok.

the AIR light seems to blink/flicker about every two seconds, traffic or no traffic. any idea if this is normal?

why i call it a strange machine: though i uploded (see earlier mssgs) version 1819 into it, it still shows 1927 when checking it.

does that mean i could have a corrupt system? or just that the indication did not update properly? is there any way (please: short of flashing it again and again) of testing, maybe with some command line commands, to test which version is r e a l l y in there?

so far all testing, wired LAN and WLAN, was with WIN XP systems. the next problem will be to test WIN98se, later tonight. any WINDOWS 98 users out there that have any specific suggestions? ASUS says it will work fine, my dealer (!) says it will not at all. very encouraging, no?

greetings - heinz -

Antiloop
14-04-2005, 09:10
so, i am back, a day later than planned i managed to test this strange WL-500g.

seems to work fine, both the router part, as well as the WLAN and the connection to the DSL modem. now i am not a power user, so i cannot yet identify any small problems, but standard things seem ok.

the AIR light seems to blink/flicker about every two seconds, traffic or no traffic. any idea if this is normal?

why i call it a strange machine: though i uploded (see earlier mssgs) version 1819 into it, it still shows 1927 when checking it.

does that mean i could have a corrupt system? or just that the indication did not update properly? is there any way (please: short of flashing it again and again) of testing, maybe with some command line commands, to test which version is r e a l l y in there?

so far all testing, wired LAN and WLAN, was with WIN XP systems. the next problem will be to test WIN98se, later tonight. any WINDOWS 98 users out there that have any specific suggestions? ASUS says it will work fine, my dealer (!) says it will not at all. very encouraging, no?

greetings - heinz -
if it is showing another firmware version you have done something somewhere wrong..

the air led flickers often, yes this is normal as your network generates traffic even if all pc's are turned off (your network does not know those pc's are turned off..)

try to flash to a custom firmware, and see if it responds when you are trying to telnet to the unit, PLEASE CONSULT MANUAL on how to use Firmware restoration util as this is one of the best ways!

heinz57g
14-04-2005, 11:16
>> if it is showing another firmware version you have done something
>> somewhere wrong..

thats what i thought, but how to find out?

>> the air led flickers often

clear. in this case, with everything switched off, every two seconds to the dot, almost like it was searching.

>> try to flash to a custom firmware

WOW, thats what i was trying to avoid. pls take a minute and have a look at the posts below, between me and tom mostly, and see how much headache the flashing already caused.

so you understand why i am more than reluctant to ty flashing again. but if need be, which of the versions here is the most stable one for very standard operations? just solid router access, and WLAN as it should be.

>> telnet the unit ...

can you explain what this means, and/or where i could get simple info on it?

>> PLEASE CONSULT MANUAL

surely done 100times over.

>> use Firmware restoration

thats what was done: originally with 1927. when it left a non-working non-responding machine, it was flushed (after a night in the cooler) with 1819. that flashed for 20+ seconds, then broke off with an error, but strangely enough the set works now. but still shows 1927 as the firmware version. go figure. i can't.

greetings - heinz -

Antiloop
14-04-2005, 13:04
>> if it is showing another firmware version you have done something
>> somewhere wrong..

thats what i thought, but how to find out?

>> the air led flickers often

clear. in this case, with everything switched off, every two seconds to the dot, almost like it was searching.

>> try to flash to a custom firmware

WOW, thats what i was trying to avoid. pls take a minute and have a look at the posts below, between me and tom mostly, and see how much headache the flashing already caused.

so you understand why i am more than reluctant to ty flashing again. but if need be, which of the versions here is the most stable one for very standard operations? just solid router access, and WLAN as it should be.

>> telnet the unit ...

can you explain what this means, and/or where i could get simple info on it?

>> PLEASE CONSULT MANUAL

surely done 100times over.

>> use Firmware restoration

thats what was done: originally with 1927. when it left a non-working non-responding machine, it was flushed (after a night in the cooler) with 1819. that flashed for 20+ seconds, then broke off with an error, but strangely enough the set works now. but still shows 1927 as the firmware version. go figure. i can't.

greetings - heinz -

the firmware restoration tool at your windows machine will show if there are errors occured, and if flashing was a succes or not

either your wl500g unit is a brick (from factory) or something else is wrong.

don't take this personally:
Ofcourse I personally do not have much problems with those units as expected so sometimes it's hard to believe others do have problems although mostly the same problems stay after they got a replacement from asus or the shop(and thus the error was between the monitor and the chair)

flashing 1.9.2.7-4 (custom one) would do fine

heinz57g
14-04-2005, 14:24
antiloppp, dont worry, i take all things technical with a lot of humor, i would have long given up (in the 1980s with my ALTAIR) if not humor would have kept me alive. never take anything personal, ever, specially not on a forum like this one where info and opinions are usually so well founded.

- >> the firmware restoration tool at your windows machine will show if
- >> there are errors occured, and if flashing was a succes or not

it showed an error after 20 seconds of flashing v1819. but the unit DID work after that, and shows it is running v1927 (the BETA from the ASUS page)!

and it seems to run normally (2 days only, but nothing to compare with).

- >> either your wl500g unit is a brick (from factory) or something else
- >> is wrong

THAT needs again humor. i will see after the weekend if the dealer wants
to exchange it.

- >> don't take this personally

see above, never do.

- >> it's hard to believe others do have problems

well, if it tell you that i have been thru some 100+ computers, still some 20 of them running, from a SINCLAIR spectrum that runs my heating system, to a P-M735 laptop that tries to run my life and business, and that i usally do NOT have much problems setting up any equipment, would that help a bit?

- >> thus the error was between the monitor and the chair

i sure know what you mean. and sometimes the most obvious mistakes are the most difficult to find, because one does not look in the simple corners. never happend to you?

- >> flashing 1.9.2.7-4 (custom one) would do fine

you mean -CR4? will do that, weekend. any special remarks before i go to the mad-house, then?

many greetings - heinz -

PS: hey, i just notice YOU are running -3c. now it know, you want me to test -4 just to make me sweat ... and my wife angry for a totally spoiled weekend.

Snufkin
14-04-2005, 18:19
just to make me sweat... and my wife angry for a totally spoiled weekend

Just my two cents. I've discovered totally upredictable router behaviour when plug/unplug Ethernet cables in it. In other words when 500g is switched on it's highly undesirable to change cable connection.

To my mind the reasons are quite simple:

I have outdated electric wiring with unstable ground connection. Therefore ISP hardware, router and my desktop have slightly different electric potential of ground terminal, enough to shock router's electronics.
I have quite a dry air in my apartment and very often meet with static electricity. Moreover I've read reports of guys who are living in area with very strong thunderstorms, and they have fried up two LAN ports during last 2 years.

To avoid problems with mains and static I finish all cabling before switching router on and do it only after all peripherial devices (from router's point of view :) ) switched on.

Good luck in wiring and routing ;)

heinz57g
14-04-2005, 19:32
every two cents are welcome! actually i consider these hints at least 50 cents worth. really, every bit helps. see below, some 4-5 mssgs down, the way routers stay overnight in a refridgerator ... and it helped!

greetings - heinz -

Antiloop
15-04-2005, 00:45
well mostly i'm running pre-CR versions meaning newer than the current ones, so no I do not want you to test CR4. I have a stronge believe in Oleg that his latest custom release works fine and better than the 3C I'm currently running :D

I do update so now and then all my devices at the same time..

heinz57g
16-04-2005, 13:09
so, tonight is the night when i will try the flashing again, the unit is already in the fridge. so to all who read this, do me the favor and keep your fingers crossed for me. i hate to feel like an idiot.

and to all who helped or commented, it is a free beer on me if everything works out well. not blackmail, just a thankyou. and dont worry, it will not be cyberspace-beer! it WILL be there.

a few questions came up while reading and reading posts and manuals:

- a - the webinterface is factory set to admin / admin. to change the password, there is a page, easy.
but how and where/how to change the login name (which is highly recommened to be done wherever i
read about it)?

- b - after flashing the new firmware, the reset button is to be pressed for 5++ seconds. WHEN is this supposed to be done? (1) right after the interface confirmed the update, you log off it, but the unit is still turned on? or (2) after and while the unit is turned off? or (3) after the unit was off, then is again fully turned on, then the RESET, then off and on again?

- c - and once i have everything set and done, and am mainly interested in a stable working unit, with good range, but not interested in speed (11Mbps will do just fine in this case), is there a point of setting speed limited to 11? i keep reading that speed at AUTO balances speed against range, which to me means if it tries high speed, it would automatically lower the range, which is the opposite of what i need.

greetings, and already sweating - heinz -

PS: my wife has already moved out for the weekend ...

Styno
16-04-2005, 14:47
Make sure you've read this post before you start upgrading: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1329

Now that I've made my contribution to this topic and your firmware upgrade, I would like to remind you to not forget the free beer when the upgrade went successfully.

Styno
16-04-2005, 14:58
Ok, now seriously:

- a - the webinterface is factory set to admin / admin. to change the password, there is a page, easy.
but how and where/how to change the login name (which is highly recommened to be done wherever i
read about it)?The custom firmware has page for that too.

- b - after flashing the new firmware, the reset button is to be pressed for 5++ seconds. WHEN is this supposed to be done? (1) right after the interface confirmed the update, you log off it, but the unit is still turned on? or (2) after and while the unit is turned off? or (3) after the unit was off, then is again fully turned on, then the RESET, then off and on again?When the webinterface has come back (=upgrading has finished and the router has rebooted) you can start pushing the reset button.

- c - and once i have everything set and done, and am mainly interested in a stable working unit, with good range, but not interested in speed (11Mbps will do just fine in this case), is there a point of setting speed limited to 11? i keep reading that speed at AUTO balances speed against range, which to me means if it tries high speed, it would automatically lower the range, which is the opposite of what i need.As you practivally explained yourself: The router and client itself are trying to connect at the highest speed possible for the range that is between them. However if you are really far away, I can imagine that when the speed on the router is set to e.g. 1Mb you might get a connection earlier. But, auto should suffice just fine.

greetings, and already sweating - heinz -Hmm, are you sure thats not just the summer coming closer and closer? ;)

heinz57g
16-04-2005, 18:44
hey, just for those who think i am joking: i meant it about the beer. and for those who dont drink beer, i'll throw in a bottle of wine from a country that claims to have excellent wine, but nobody has ever heard of. so ... that is also the reason why i'm so over-careful: i am sitting in this country right now, and being 2000km away from the nearest real computershop, and a local dealer that is most unhelpful (not true: he just doesnt know), and that makes me dead serious about my promises. just watch it. it might take some time, but it will be there.

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g
18-04-2005, 11:10
i am back. not on the original system, but at least in the office where i can write emails and get into the forum.

the firmware update of the WL-500g worked. cooling it down well before doing anything, and giving it time between actions really helped, or so it feels.

1927-4 seems stable. i cannot see much difference to the earlier version, but the extra entry for login name. is there anything i should know? or just let it do its job? are the real improvements hidden way? fine with me.

what didnt work, and what contributed technically to my silence, was the second part: getting it to hook up with 3x WL-167g USB sticks in WIN98 computers. install was difficult but fine (it asked for several well hidden files, in WINDOWS/SYSTEMS/HELP/RASPPPOE and wherever).

but the various mssg in the control software shows it receiving and sending fine, with signal 90++% all the time, but i cannot address anything with the browser. IE6.0 (latest updates) just plays dead. it says something like 'looking for proxy', then gets the standard error page. internet or the WL-500g pages, same effect: none.

i dont know how many settings of IP adresses in network i have tried, or how often i have set it from automatic to static IP. till 4:00h in the morning when my head refused to distinguish between a light switch and the computer.

IE6.0 works fine when connected to the DSL modem directly, but that is in a room (normally) unaccessible to me, one floor down. but nothing reacts on WLAN, which is what i need desperately.

any suggestions whatsoever?

greetings - heinz -

Namu
03-08-2005, 13:23
Before my vacation I flashed my 500g to v1.9.2.7 CR6b and everything worked without any problems...

I went on vacation for two weeks and I got home yesterday hopin to pop in my laptop and do some catching up... but that was a nono...

My entire router was deadish... Wan dead, Wireless dead... Only thing that was working was dhcp.

I've hard reset it and re-entered all my settings. Everything on the router is working again except my wireless. I've tried everything I’ve learned about this piece of equipment in the last six months but nothing's working.

Tried changing channels, multiple hard resets and re-entering the settings. Hell, at the moment I’m trying the basic, standard settings that come with wireless after a reboot but that won't work either... I'm running out of idea's fast and I can use all the help I can get.

acidbrain
11-08-2005, 23:57
HI!

I tried to flash my WL500g with tftp, but I think I did not wait long enough before I powercycled it.
When I put the power plug in, all leds light up for a moment, then all leds except power go off. The power led stays on for ca. 3, then starts to blink in 1s intervals.
The router does not respond to pings, pushing the reset button has no effect.
Did I brick my router?

Any ideas are welcome!

Greets,

Daniel

Oleg
12-08-2005, 07:05
It's in the firmware restoration mode and should answer pings. You've to check your network config.

acidbrain
12-08-2005, 13:19
Thanks for your answer! You were right.
I did not connect directly to it, but through a hub, i think that was the problem.

I was already looking for a cheap place to buy a new one ;)

Pjotrek
23-08-2005, 11:39
Hi!

I have two WL500gx. The one in the summer house 500 km away is almost dead. I can still make an SSH shell to it and SCP to or from it, but no webserver reacts any more.
The big problem is that it will not reboot when the command is entered. Neither does the kill or killall commands work any more, most other seem to work.
Any ideas how to make it reboot whithout travelling 500 km? :(

britnet
23-08-2005, 12:56
try to start the webserver manually.

/opt/etc/init.d/S80thttpd start

Pjotrek
23-08-2005, 14:18
Yeah, I have done that, but I still need to reboot. God knows what it lets through right now...

jaapjeuk
23-08-2005, 22:32
Yeah, I have done that, but I still need to reboot. God knows what it lets through right now...

at first try to do:
ps -ef | grep httpd
kill -9 <httpd-pid>
then again
ps -ef | grep httpd
a) are both httpd still alive now ??
b) take a look at your /tmp/syslog.log ...

Pjotrek
24-08-2005, 06:21
Thanks, but I did try all that. Kill -9 just does not have any effect, just as the reboot and halt commands.

jaapjeuk
24-08-2005, 14:23
Thanks, but I did try all that. Kill -9 just does not have any effect, just as the reboot and halt commands.

please show us your (remote) listing of:

ps -ef
cat /tmp/syslog.log
iptables -L -vn
iptables -L -vn -t nat
netstat -an
ifconfig

joossie
28-08-2005, 14:21
I had that problem too.
Try to change your WAN and/or LAN cables (get some new cables), that was my problem (I had a wrong WAN-cable, everything worked, but with that cable wireless didn't work).

WVR
30-08-2005, 15:29
Messing about with erase nvram; now it won't come up at all.
At power on all leds come on, then the power led goes out. All the lan and wan ports appear to be bridged so it acts as a wired hub.
Easily connected up a serial port using old Nokia serial data cable. Settings that work are 9600 8N1, but it just echos back what I type to it.
So the bootloader seems to have been erased.

As this model does not seem to have Jtag connector, has anybody any idea how to recover? I wonder how they get the bootloader onto them at the factory?

Oleg
30-08-2005, 20:13
Messing about with erase nvram; now it won't come up at all.
At power on all leds come on, then the power led goes out. All the lan and wan ports appear to be bridged so it acts as a wired hub.
Easily connected up a serial port using old Nokia serial data cable. Settings that work are 9600 8N1, but it just echos back what I type to it.

It should not echo back and should be 115200 8N1.

So the bootloader seems to have been erased.

Unlikely.

Anyway, there is GPIO7 connector on the board - try attaching it to the ground and turn device on. If this does not help - use this method for recovering:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=859

WVR
31-08-2005, 11:52

Unlikely.

Anyway, there is GPIO7 connector on the board - try attaching it to the ground and turn device on. If this does not help - use this method for recovering:
Thanks for your response Oleg but I already tried most of the methods in that thread. Tried shorting various pins etc based on chip data sheet info. Nothing seems to change the way it powers up, never get recover blinking.
Before it went wrong I was messing around with some mtd erase nvram commands.
The pmon that was on there was the WL500gd-01-04-01-50 that you posted about previously.

WVR
08-09-2005, 21:56
After scratching my head over the thread http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=859 for some time, I managed to debrick my Asus WL 500G deluxe.
It was well bricked, the pwr led would not come on and serial port didn't help.
The same pin 10 grounded on the MX29LV320 chip works on this model too.
(Note chip is other way round from wtzm's pic of the wl500g.)
I must have grounded the pin 12 times before I held it on long enough at power on.
After that Asus normal f/w restore tool worked to get back on latest Oleg f/w.
It seems grounding pin 10 for short time does not do any permanent harm.
I didn't solder but used sharp grounded probe placed with aid of strong magnifying glass.

Thanks guys.
Where do I send my donation?
Bill (in the UK)

Oleg
09-09-2005, 09:46
Congrats to you. How you've bricked it? :) nvram stuff?

wtzm
09-09-2005, 13:03
Nice to hear that it worked for you! By the way: The two wires are still connected (isolated at the far end and duct-taped to the case; so the next earthquake shouldn't accidentally bring them together) to the flash chip inside my wl500g - just in case I manage to "brick" it again ;).

WVR
09-09-2005, 13:14
Congrats to you. How you've bricked it? :) nvram stuff?
Yes, I detailed how in http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=3137
You gave me pointer there to fix thread but I didn't understand wtzm's reference to pin 10 until yesterday when I looked at data sheet for nvram chip and saw that it is address line A20. Its the same chip in the wl500g-deluxe, but mounted on pcb at 180 rotation to wl500g pic.

WVR
09-09-2005, 13:17
Nice to hear that it worked for you! By the way: The two wires are still connected (isolated at the far end and duct-taped to the case; so the next earthquake shouldn't accidentally bring them together) to the flash chip inside my wl500g - just in case I manage to "brick" it again ;).
Your eyesight must be very keen to solder a wire to that pin. They are so small and tightly packed.
Its good that I fixed it as I no longer have to hide it from the wife :-)

wtzm
09-09-2005, 13:25
Actually it took some patience and a really fine-tipped soldering iron to complete the task. Eyesight was a minor issue, although a big laboratory magnifying glass (with its own included light source), would have been nice. :rolleyes:

putin
14-09-2005, 00:33
So how long did you have to hold the ground on for?
I'm in the same position, dead deluxe with the MX29LV320 chip. Pwr led doesn't come on at all, the lan and wan lights flash on at power up then the active port led flashes when I ping the box but I can get no response.
I've tried grounding pin 10 several times but with no luck. How can I tell it has worked? Does the power led start flashing like recovery mode or should I just wait for ping to work?

Oleg
14-09-2005, 10:10
You've to ground it, then turn on power.

putin
14-09-2005, 13:50
Hmm.. Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I was hoping there was something I'd missed to be honest.
I'll tell you the history. I stuffed up the nvram and reset to recovery stopped working, the power led was staying on though and the router still worked as a 'transparent' bridge. So I tried shorting pins 9 and 10, as that was the first suggested fix I found. I must have shorted something else too though because then the power led stopped coming on and it stopped responding to pings. I then tried grounding GPIO7 and spent the best part of a day trying to ground pin 10, connecting it to earth points on the board in various different ways, with no luck.
I've read you guys talking about corrupting pmon. Is that what I've done? I take it it's a bad thing. As you might of guessed this is getting a bit beyond me now. :o

superyam
19-09-2005, 05:33
Hello,

My router suddenly off the "AIR LED" after power off then power on, no more wireless function. I can connect to internet but like direct connect to the modem. When I check my IP using IPCONFIG, now display my real IP. I can't login to 192.168.1.1 to do anything.

Can anyone help me to solve the problem or need to repair? Thanks.

Superyam

WVR
19-09-2005, 13:30
I had to hold pin 10 to ground for some time whilst powering on the Asus.
When it worked (around the 6th attempt) the Asus power led stayed on, before it was off after poweron. As soon as possible remove the pin10 grounding connection.
When I got it to keep the power led on, then the normal reset-to-defaults procedure worked i.e. hold the reset button on the back in whilst poweron.
Then I could use Asus firmware restore utility to put back on whatever firmware I wished.

putin
20-09-2005, 10:13
Well I've had another go but no luck. I must have tried about 50 times, sometimes holding it on for over a minute without the slightest flicker from the power led. I'm pretty sure I've physically stuffed the flash chip with my bumbling.
This is going in the bin now before I lose any more hair over it... unless anyone knows a good use for the parts? Think I'll strip the USB connectors, they might come in handy.
Thanks anyway everyone.

WVR
20-09-2005, 11:38
Thats exactly how I felt after I stuffed mine. I put it away for a week, then had another go after carefully re-reading wtzm's info. I'm sure you know that the chip is the other way round on the gx from his pic. In fact pin 5 is marked so you can count from that... I picked up ground from the marked pin on the internal uart connector.
You could also try a serial port, but I had no joy with that.

putin
22-09-2005, 12:46
I've just rigged up a serial cable. I used a USB to serial converter cable, built a little cable that connected the TX0, RX0 and GND pins to a female serial port and connected the two. Looks pretty solid but I get absolutely nothing back from hyperterminal. I'm using 115200 8-N-1 Hardware and have tried a few other combinations but the most I can get back is an OK to the AT command and that's coming from the USB-Serial converter itself. Plus the USB-Serial cable has an LED that should flash when it's handshaking or there's data transfer.. not a flicker.

mobile
06-10-2005, 10:57
Hi
I lost web interface access on wl-500g even ping goes well after reseting it.
Power LED flash in recovery mode but I can only ping my own ip not factory default 192.168.1.1 ? I try tftp -i (my ip) 192.168.1.22 put wgxxxxxxx_WL500g_EN.trx several times but no joy so far. What is the magic key please to get device become alive again :confused:

Oleg
06-10-2005, 11:38
Use firmware restoration tool.

mobile
06-10-2005, 12:27
Use firmware restoration tool.

Oleg thanks for fast reply.
I try restoration tool before I opened new thread here but when I try uploading C:\Wireless\Firmware Asus wl-500g\wg01090207_WL500g_EN.trx PWR LED on my wl500g goes OFF and I get message from restoration tool as there is no wireless device in recovery mode found. I try repeating this several times with no success at all ?!? tnx

Oleg
06-10-2005, 12:44
You've to disable all network adapters (inlcuding bluetooth) in the network connections and leave only one (ethernet) enabled.

Styno
06-10-2005, 13:29
Please read this tutorial on firmware upgrading (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1329). Never use wireless connection for upgrading of firmware!

mobile
07-10-2005, 11:10
Never use wireless connection for upgrading of firmware!

Hi
I readed how-to several times and I trying with recovery mode uploading over cable as suggested. My wireless card was disconected, disabled then but recovery tool still not see router connected. After that (reading this thread) I fired up my desktop clone and take me few minutes for upgrading firmware to router which become fully accessable now. Thanks for hint it would be the very last what would come to my mind. :o
Anyway the strange thing is windoz see wireless card on my notebook disabled but not the recovery tool from Asus. :mad:

JohnSK
28-10-2005, 07:59
hi everyone,

I received my Asus WL-500G Deluxe today and I flashed DD-WRT v.23, build date 27/10/05, ASUS binary. Everything went OK, after first reboot the firmware loaded up no problem.

But after powering off the AP only the 4LAN a 1 WAN LED are on, the POWER and AIR leds are off and I can't ping the AP -- hell, I can't even establish a connection to the AP (Windows reports the lan cable is disconnected..). Resetting the AP has no effect, nor does holding the reset button and pluggin in the power cable.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is it because of the FW?

Please help :(

Randale91
28-10-2005, 08:15
hi everyone,

and I flashed DD-WRT v.23, build date 27/10/05, ASUS binary.

Ask for support where you found your firmware.

Styno
28-10-2005, 08:35
Hmm yes, we don't have much experience with DD firmwares here so the first thing would be to seek help there. But we do have some tips for borked WL-500g's: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1329

macsat
28-10-2005, 09:07
You should probably try to logon to the router and reboot to factory defaults.

DD-WRT is OpenWRT based - OpenWRT is pretty picky with Defaults when flashing from Official ASUS / Olegs Firmware.

JohnSK
28-10-2005, 09:45
Thanx for help.. I used this forum because forums dealing with DD-WRT are 99% LinkSys only. I will have to look into the problem again, the whole AP is dead as it doesent respond to resetting, nor does the LAN/WAN switch work at all. I will keep you updated on any progres I made ;)

kopimi
01-11-2005, 22:08
I am experiencing the exact same problem. Pls keep this thread updated with yout progress and I'll do the same =)

kopimi
02-11-2005, 22:23
check this thread for helpful info

http://forum.bsr-clan.de/ftopic3306.html

do NOT use the 27.10.05-dd-wrt.v23.beta2-firmware on a WL-500gx ;)

kopimi
03-11-2005, 06:56
My router is alive and kickin with the 01.11.05-firmware!

Here's what I did:
1 Cable from antenna connector to pin 10 (i put some scotch to isolate the others and to be sure not to ground the wrong pin) See image below.
2 Power on, after like one second it went to recovery mode ie Power-led flashing and I removed my groundcable.
3 I then followed the instructions on this page http://wl500g.info/archive/index.php/t-859 and flashed my baby with http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
4 Let it reboot again
5 Put it in recovery mode by pressing reset-button then reapplying power til power-led blinkin.
6 Flashed with 01.11.05-dd-wrt.v23.std_beta2

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/bh420/6376877.jpg

Everything seems to be working now... Except when applying settings my browser (FF) seem to not reload and get back on it. It stays loading 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi until i reload manually.

Big shouts to Brainslayer and Bh420 for their help!

I even managed to keep my 'Warranty seal' intact thanks to a neat tweezers! :D

britnet
03-11-2005, 07:58
Great!!

I had to do this in the past, too. :rolleyes:

Its more comfortable only to shorten the pin 9 and 10.
(Its really the same thing, but you dont need an cable)

You can do this with a not isolated screwdriver, its really very simple.

lost
21-12-2005, 11:25
I apologise for the off topic, bu t I can't find a forum for this router.
I did the upgrade for the last asus firmware and it didn't work out. The power led is blinking, I can't enter the router page, the router utility says it can't find any router, and the software to restore the firmare says it can't find a router in recovery mode. Of course I've tried the reset for hours....
Is it dead and gone? Or is there any hope?

If you can help please keep it in simple words, I'm new at this.

Thanks bros.

lost
22-12-2005, 09:54
Problem solved!:)

Thanks anyway.

dovocom
30-12-2005, 16:33
Putin,

do a search for JTAG... as a last resort..

Don

sodb
30-12-2005, 17:23
Are you shure about the correct COM port. It seems that you hyperterminal to the internal modem instead of the USB/COM port. A USB/serial convertor usually does not respond at AT commands.

eTh0
14-01-2006, 18:10
hello

i received today a wl-500g deluxe router and put an openWRT firmware (with squashfs) on it. everything worked fine. but then i was to quick and did the mistake to flash it again with an openWRT with jffs2.

now the power led of the router is blinking and nothing more. i am able to enter recovery mode and upload any other firmware. but: the led does not change its behavior.

i am also able to ping the router, but i am not able to access it with telnet or ssh or web.

i was reading and trying a lot of things this afternoon (some threads i have found on this forum like using wl500g-clear-nvram.trx or flashing with an asus firmware) but nothing is working :cool:

is there any other thing i can do? or could someone explain me what's going on? or is there just the hardcore method left to ground some pins?

sincerely,
pat

eTh0
14-01-2006, 19:52
hi

i tried once again (after 1oo times ) to flash the router et voila it worked.

cheers

hanz
05-02-2006, 09:30
Hello,
I flashed new firmware fews days ago and now I can not ping my router.

In normal mode my router not responding on ping, but in recovery mode
I can ping my router and I can upload any firmware (over tftp) but again in normal mode is situation same. (can not ping asus)

I tried upload wl500g-clear-nvram.trx in recovery mode and then again in recovery mode tried WL500gx_1.9.5.0_EN.trx. but situation is same.

in normal mode my router do not respond.

any ideas?

thank you for your help.

Hanz

TheEagle
05-02-2006, 10:37
I heard of cases where the firmware change would change the IP to a random number. Tried the device discovery tool from ASUS?

hanz
05-02-2006, 10:53
yes,

I have bit progress ....

I did it over asus restoration tool ... (my ip was 169. something ) and now I can sometimes ping my router in normal mode.

in normal mode I have this:

Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=573ms TTL=100
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=100
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=642ms TTL=100
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=712ms TTL=100
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=768ms TTL=100

in restore mode I have ping reply in 1 ms ....

any idea?

thanks

Hanz

VidJa
07-02-2006, 13:02
Hi hanz, I have the same problem. I can ping the router in restore mode, but not after flashing firmware, does not matter what version i use. (only on some occasions it would reply with a ping)

did you have any progress?

oleo
07-02-2006, 13:24
During upload press Abort button on firmware restoration tool. This will procuce CRC error and consequntly clear NVRAM. Then upload firmware of your choice!

hanz
08-02-2006, 21:20
Hello
my ASUS is back online.
I did this:

1/ My Asus was offline (switched off) over 24 hours

2/ I ran my pc in no dhcp mode (so my ip was 169.254. something)

3/ I flashed my asus with this firmware: WL500gx_1.9.3.5_EN.trx
(over asus restoration tools)

I waited until restart and after restart I could ping asus on IP address 192.168.1.1 (of cource I changed my NIC address on this range)

and it is all and really WORK!

try it and give me info

hanz

VidJa
10-02-2006, 22:44
Left my supposedly dead wl500g (after flashing latest asus firmware) for 24 hours disconnected from the power source and magically it worked again. I guess depriving it of power clears the nvram also

DaGM
28-02-2006, 19:44
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4674

FrankyG
01-03-2006, 11:01
Hi,

I simply enabled Upnp , rebooted router and since then I've not been able to access the router at all. I've also enabled Upnp on my Desktop PC (wired) and laptop (Wireless). The only other device which is attached is the cable modem! Does the cable modem need to be Upnp enabled?

I tried rebooting all devices and PC's-still no access to configuration page.
Then tried to factory reset the router by pressing reset button for 5-10 seconds. It wouldn't reset. During all this time the PWR and LAN3 lights were lit, the WAN light was flashing continually.

Then tried firware restore by setting fixed IP on desktop, and performing the procedure on the router (Power off, reset + Power on, release reset) but NOTHING I do will get the PWR light flashing. Tried to reach the router using the firmware recovery tool, no success.

I tried the Firmware recovery procedure with the WAN cable connected, then disconnected, both failed.

Finally tried to ping the router from PC, can't even do that.
My next procedure will probably involve a hammer and eye protection.

Is it a lost cause? Is there anything I've missed or try before scrapping the router?

Thanks for any help!

Rgds,

FrankyG

ps I can't remember which firmware was installed, only that It was one of Oleg's custom ones, probably from around July/August last year. I may have exported the settings-would this file indicate which firmware was in use?

Snufkin
01-03-2006, 17:08
Debricked my wl500 ... (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=3220&highlight=brick):)

Balu
08-05-2006, 09:53
Hi All,

I have a "little" problem with my WL500g Deluxe. After pushing the reset button the wireless is working correctly (air led is blinking - open mode, SSID: DEFAULT, etc.) after the proper configuration and restart (WPA-PSK/TKIP, hide SSID, G-mode protection, MAC filtering) I can not even see my router and the air led is on continuously.

Previously it worked fine for almost 1 year with Oleg's FW.
I have tried several FW versions: the latest Asus 1.9.5.0, Oleg's 1.9.2.7-7c and I also tried to downgrade but nothing helped.

Any idea, comment?

Thanks
B

TheEagle
08-05-2006, 09:55
"Hide SSID" and "see my router" ... well I'd say that doesn't fit together. You'll need to manually configure your W-LAN client if the SSID is hidden. Or do you mean (by saying "can't see my router") you can't even connect to it using a wired connection? What happens if you do not select "hide SSID"?

Balu
08-05-2006, 10:19
"Hide SSID" and "see my router" ... well I'd say that doesn't fit together. You'll need to manually configure your W-LAN client if the SSID is hidden. Or do you mean (by saying "can't see my router") you can't even connect to it using a wired connection? What happens if you do not select "hide SSID"?

Normally if I searching for wireless networks when SSID hidden I can see "Unknown" as SSID name but in my case I cannot see anything. Same problem when I skip the hide option... :(

It seems after the configuration and restart wireless is totally dead. Wired connection is OK.

TheEagle
08-05-2006, 10:59
That's strange indeed. Anything in the logs mabe?

But I'd try like this ... enable one option after another (change SSID first, test, hide SSID then, test, enable WEP, test, change to WPA and so on). See which option it is that makes the trouble. Have no other idea than that.

Balu
08-05-2006, 18:28
Telnet:
[admin@(none) root]$ wl status
SSID: ""
Mode: Ad Hoc RSSI: 0 dBm noise: 0 dBm Channel: 1
BSSID: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Capability: IBSS ShortSlot
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]

Web management:
Mode : AP Only
Channel : 6

Stations List
----------------------------------------

Balu
08-05-2006, 20:17
telnet 192.168.1.1
wl ssid something

restart
new PSK
restart

So conclusion: if you have same problem with wireless interface do not worry, just ensure with telnet you have proper SSID. As I can see sometimes the web interface lies! Make sure...

bye
B

Me2
28-05-2006, 20:49
Hi All,

After reading this forum i bought a nice wl500g
Been working nice for some weeks and today i added port 10000 to the forward port list.
After the reboot, the router did not give any ip's any more.
Tried to reset, re-upp firmware with tftp..
Put pc to static, on 192.168.1.2 and also at my own normal settings
Tried to ping the wl500 at any ip i could think of and scanned both the 192 range as my normal range.
The wl500 acts now as a hub ??
It will go into restore mode, but restore tool does not find it.
Neither does tftp give a solution (it times out)

Anybody tips ??
Greetings
Me2

Me2
29-05-2006, 12:53
Hi all

Just tried with ethereal to see if the router still broadcasts anything while in restore mode.
I could not see any packets on the ranges i have used (10.10.10.*) and the default range of the wl500g deluxe (192.168.1.*)
Is there any other range or thing i could try ?
All the lights light up like normal, even when you go to restore mode so pmon should be working, right ?
The wlan light goes on like normal, but with my laptop i do not see any signal from it (using Airopeek)

Any tips or help is welcome
Greetings
Steven

Forgot to mention that i had changed the Mac address of the Wan port..
Tried APIPA, its 169.* adress, and use the restoration tool, but it does not find the router in any situation.
As soon as the router hangs behind the normal network it passed trough the dhcp to the normal server, acting as an expencive hub ;P

When i use the restore button while powering on, the power led goes blinking. Wlan light off
When i use the restore button while the power was on, 5secs push, the Power led turns off and the Wlan light stays on
When i use the restore button while power is on, and keep button in for 10sec the power goes flikkering

When i use the internal reset button, all lights go on, power turns off and after it resumes normal lights

Perhaps this edit will help someone help me :)

GReetings Steven

Edit 2
I do not know what happened but after redoing all above for the edit, it suddenly worked
This time the reset went directly to fast blinking, rebooted and was done

lrondao
15-07-2006, 13:20
Hi,

I have a WL500G R1.00 for almost 3 years. I've had several firmware releases, official and from Oleg. The last one I tried a few months ago was 1.9.5.0 beta version from the official Asus site.

This week I got home and the unit was dead. After poweroff/on only the power led is on, the Air led should be on to but that doesn´t happen.

I've tried to reset but it doesn't work, the power led never flashes.

The PC does't have connection to the router (i'm not using wireless), with DHCP enabled i get the limited or no connection warning. With fixed IP I just can't ping the router (I see the LAN led blink on the router but it does't respond). I've tried to ping 192.168.2.1 that I had configured and 192.168.1.1 that is the default IP. Nothing worked...

Sometimes I had this behaviour (Air led woudn't turn on after power on) but a simple poweroff/on would do the trick.

I've opened the unit and removed the wireless card and tried to boot once again but it didn't respond anyway.

I've seen several ppl with dead router problem on the forum but none with the same problem has mine, the power led always on...

I've read the trick of shortcut PIN10 to GROUND. Would this work in my case? I haven't tried... I've seen were the PIN10 is, but were is the GROUND? Is it on the unit or should I use the GROUND from a wall power socket? I don't really know much about this stuff...

If nothing works shoud I try to send it to repair or should I just buy a new one? I don't have warranty anymore...

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated...

Luís

gestapo
21-12-2006, 16:48
Problem solved!:)

Thanks anyway.

The solution is:

1) manually set your PC's ip to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
2) run "Firmware Restoration" utility (available on CD with your 520g)
3) select firware file (*.trx)
4) push "upload" button
5) wait
6) your router is alive now. enjoy:)

brutal666
26-08-2007, 21:27
Hi,

I have Asus 520g router.
While I made Firmware upgrade via web I have not got any response after starting it.
In 5 minutes I pulled out the power cable.
Since then, the Unit is dead.
I have tried firmware restoration, while I press the restore put the power cable, power led is blinking but no response for ping, firmware restoration tool, tftp.

Please help!

I have read many Q&A and I coundn't find working solution for my problem?
How can I be sure that went wrong and I have to throw out?

siaco
08-09-2007, 09:51
Hi all,

I have an Asus 500g Deluxe which seems to have gotten a problem after my house lost power for some time. I have observed the following:

When I insert the power cable, all lights except power and air lights/leds is turned on for a second.
Power and air leds do never light up.
When I connect a pc to lan 1, the correct lan1 led turns green as it shod.
All lan ports + wan may be used and the 500g deluxe seems to be operateing as a switch between all these ports.

I have tried to unplug the power, let it be out for some time and plug it in again. I have also tried to hold in the reset button as I plug in the power, and keep it pressed for some time. I have also pressed the reset button when the power is connected without any luck.

The next thing I did was to give my computer a static IP of 192.168.0.2 (as the DHCP server is no longer operating from the asus box) and then tried to ping 192.168.0.1 which was the IP of the asus box without any reply.

It seems to me like my trusted asus 500g deluxe is dead :\ Is there anything I can do to wake it up again?

A big thanks to all who reply! :-)

siaco
13-09-2007, 06:11
Hello all again!

I'm sorry to say, but I have not found any solution to this problem on my own, and I have now bought myself a new router, the D-link DIR-655.

I am still interesting thought to find a solution to this and fix the ASUS, so if anyone have any ideas they are welcome to write them down :-)

mistraller
13-09-2007, 21:00
Did you run Oleg or original firmware? Looked already for "bricked my router" topics? I thought there was a solution to get a brick-router back to live. Unless it's hardware damage of course.

You should try the 192.168.1.x range because 192.168.1.1 is default asus ip.

siaco
15-09-2007, 12:35
Did you run Oleg or original firmware? Looked already for "bricked my router" topics? I thought there was a solution to get a brick-router back to live. Unless it's hardware damage of course.

You should try the 192.168.1.x range because 192.168.1.1 is default asus ip.

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I have tried 192.168.1.x-range now too without any luck. I did ran Oleg's firmware. I have looked at bricked my router topics, and the closest thing I have found which might fix this is http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2507 .. So maybe I should try that..

------------------------------------
Update:
I have tried that too now, but it didnt help. So I guess I only have a switch now :]

replicant
11-11-2007, 18:51
Please help me !

I have followed all the steps pointed here in this forum trying to restore my wl500g router firmware.
Problem: when finished rebooting, the router has 4 LAN leds lighten up and ping to 192.168.1.1 just doesn't have any answer.
What I did so far: I used the firmware restoration tool to successfully apply the firmware file wl500g-clear-nvram.trx and then wl500g-recover.trx. Until this point all seems to be quite well: it responds to ping and the only lights on are the power and LAN. However, I still can not open the web interface. Is this ok ?
Then I apply one of the latest firmwares: wl500g-1.9.2.7g.trx or wl500g-1.9.2.8.trx and when it finishes the upload+reboot process, my router looses all conections including the LAN that connects directly with my PC and remain with the 4 LAN lights always on. All others ligths are off including power. Ping does not answer anymore and reset by pressing the reset button does not work either.
I had one command prompt session where I issued:
ping -t -w 10 192.168.1.1
In this window I was following current access to router. By the time of the last firmware uploading I see this sequence:

Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Destination host unreachable.
Destination host unreachable.
(forever and ever)

Do I have to send the router to garbage or can it somehow return to life ?
Am I doing something wrong ?
I must say I own this router for 3+ years with no trouble at all.
Since I've found this forum, always used oleg's firmware and was very happy with it.
I don't know what caused this problem since I did no firmware upgrade. Suddenly the router just died. Strange thing (and this is what gives me some hope) is that I have access to the router with the firmware restoration tool or even a telnet session with all firmware prior to the recent ones.
Does anyone have some hint I could try ?
thanx in advance

gluip
13-11-2007, 15:17
Unfortunally I my router lost also power for a minute. And since then the power and air led are dead.
I used the router as a access point. So it stills functions like a hub but that is it.

It happened once before but then I could solve it with the resetbutton and reconnecting the power.

Someone found the answer yet? I still have the default firmware on it

thnx in advance Gluip

gerett
18-11-2007, 19:47
Hello,

I have the same problem. But my Asus light doesn't flashes... I can't try to restore it.

I post here, but the message was not display...

Perharps an error... Someone can help us?

Thanks.

@+

raisch
16-02-2008, 06:20
i have the same problem; searching the forums didn't bring a solution that works.
power & air led are dead
all lan leds are turned on for a second when powering on
lan led is turned on if port is used
no flashing power led when holding reset button at powering on
ping 192.168.1.1 doesn't work

pin9, 10, 12 etc. trick doesn't work
using a different power supply doesn't work

can anyone help?
raimund

CountZero
18-02-2008, 10:40
Connect a terminal to the rs232 port and post the output here.

Summers
23-02-2008, 02:23
WL 500g have got his air light dead. Its the only one that blanked out, this router is new, 2 months usage. I cant connect my Wireless since then and cant find the router in my lan. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

buqiming
28-02-2008, 03:39
we have same problem, you can try flash the low version. this problem i try 3 days.

agregatori
29-02-2008, 18:58
have had the same problem with my Wl-500G! No ping, no air led and no possibility to enter recovery mode with pressed reset button.

After I've tried all possible opened the WL-500G and soldered the PIN 10 of the flashrom with the ground and finally got it in recovery mode.

After router was reachable with ping, put first wl500g-clear-nvram.trx second wl500g-recover.trx and than dd-wrt.v23_asus.trx or whatever you are using as firmware.
Get these files here: http://rapidshare.com/files/95968376/wl500gfiles.zip

Use for that, the asusrecovery tool from Asus or download it from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/95966729/asusrecovery.zip

Wait until router reboots and you are done.

Attached is a picture of the Pin10 soldering if you can not find it in the forum (it comes from this forum).

Regards

kolp
10-06-2008, 17:06
My lights on the router comes on and everything I am able to ping the router. And was able to restore the latest oleg software onto the router. But my problem is that I can't get on to the device webpage for some reason. So yea my problem is similar. Thanks in advance all you guys

piri
12-06-2008, 08:01
hi,

i experimented with a new dd-wrt version on my wl-500g and after reboot my router did not respond anymore (power led on, radio off, connected lan on) and is not pingable

it's a wl-500g with dd-wrt 2.4 on subnet 192.168.100.*

so I tried the standard procedure with clearing nvram, recovery and a new firmware -- did not work:

1) when I enter recovery mode, the router is not reachable under 192.168.1.1 (power led flashing slowly, radio off, connected lan activity)

2) I have to set a manual IP adress in the original subnet e.g. 192.168.100.10 and the router to 192.168.100.1 to reach the router in recovery mode.
STRANGE: now the router is pingable both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.1.1

3) the firmware restoration util cannot upload the clear-nvram, it detects the router but stops after 2 seconds and seems to reboot the router.

4) also tried tftp (both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.1.1) but the upload times out....

5) also tried the long recovery (read somewhere in the forum) but this didnt help either....

any ideas???? would the pin10 trick help?

help is kindly appreciated!
cheers, thomas.

piri
13-06-2008, 11:30
pin10 did the trick ... :cool:

durval
01-02-2009, 22:03

Unlikely.

For the record, shorting GPIO7 to ground on my Asus wl500g deluxe with board release "R1.33" zeroed the NVRAM OK: I powered off the unit, opened it up, connected a wire between the "GPIO7" and "GND" jumpers and powered it up: it started blinking the LEDs, then I powered it down, removed the wire and powered it back up: presto, NVRAM is zeroed out, and I again can access the device.

Also for the record, my original fuc^H^H^Hmistake was setting wrong vlan parameters on nvram: after nvram commit and reboot, the device came up ok but I could not access it on any address, neither via LAN nor via WiFi.

Oleg, your hint really saved the day: shorting the GPIO7 jumper is MUCH easier than soldering things on the board.

Cheers,
Durval Menezes.

Tonik
28-02-2009, 17:25
Shorting GPIO7 to GND (exactly as durval did) worked like a charm to bring back to life my WL-500g Deluxe which seems to have had its nvram garbled after interruptions in power supply.

Huge thanks to Oleg!

tzoom84
19-11-2009, 03:12
Oleg's method sparked my curious engineer mind. Regarding grounding GPIO7 to erase the flash, why does that work?

skom
09-12-2009, 15:09
It's possible to restore WL-500gP V2 after plaing with NVRAM?
If yes how can I do?

ygor.almeida
24-05-2010, 00:17
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get my WL500w working again, but no way to have it ... it's bricked all lights up no response.

I've build a serial console cable, using dku-5 (i was able to bring wrt350n back to life, and also some dvd's)

but when i try to get into wl500w i just got this

Quote:

þÿ÷gýúþþÔÿÿêüåsÕýÐØÕÎ|Öÿùûþþ¥í©eÔ{~ÕõäôüüÌrÔàX¸lè]5<TtUDA!t!ÄpP(,àD¸µ½h¯»AQøPPDPÈAQYE§$> ¨TÁP(¥ì¢aEGD
¥
@¬U`Rp Ô î
UÁ*U]]u¨TS<ñDDuÀT±
_¯Å0

UÀ!¨)%T" §dDð`(
ÍjÔRtWÀÄDÄ Cl(d (b"ª
DâÖT© 1$áè@\U À
D\)`©*U-HqFÂ1Aq%¦
T T E%! ¤
D@Ò
D´@ÕD`4D,©LÔ
¾U]]5« @
U]]5" ºUúuÕ
,UþuÕ1 L U]]5£ìU]]5}Uû]5KUºuÕ/¨@

What can i do ?

wpte
24-05-2010, 10:09
Looks like the wrong baud rate.

according to a guy on the dd-wrt forum it is: 19200,8,n,1

Have you checked PSU output and the capacitors on the main board, before jumping into harsh measurements :p

Jasman
15-10-2010, 15:19
I have a WL-500GD (that's how it's labeled, but for the purposes of this question, it's a WL-500gx). I upgraded some outlets in my house and had my router plugged in when I flipped the breaker back on. The immediate problem was that the router wasn't working although the power light, wan, and lan lights were on, but every 5 seconds or so, all LAN lights would come on and the router would reset. I've tried going through the process of using nvram clear and restore any number of times (with my ethernet IP set static 192.18.1.2), but one thing that doesn't change is that when the port connects, the name I gave my AP is still there. So, in other words, I can't really clear the router to default settings.

Based on what I've read, I thought power supply was the culprit. I scored a used, but hopefully good 5V 2A supply, and no change (in fact, my original supply didn't show symptoms of being bad, like a swollen capacitor). I've tried pin 10 / 9 and pin 12 shorting, and while those are clearly doing something, I can't figure out what, and it isn't consistent. Bottom line is, my router still isn't reset to default, with default settings, after all of that.

I can get into restore mode, ping 192.168.1.1, flash, and everything, but I'm always back to square one when I install firmware - the router keeps resetting itself and I can't get into it through a browser.

So, anyone have any ideas what trick might work to really clear all of it's memory? Also, I want to clarify whether one should or shouldn't use nvram restore with the WL-500gx, or just nvram clear. Thanks.

kopec
21-02-2012, 13:27
Hello,
some time ago my wl500g Deluxe started automatically rebooting itself after every 10secs. At first I tought it's the adapter, so I bought a new 5V/2A adapter. Now I see the problem is still there. I somehow came to disabling the wireless just before it can restart itself and it looks to solve the problem, is there some kind of log to look at to see what's wrong with it? I have a working telnet connection.

Thanks, Martin