PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : HP1100 printer not printing

MisterA
07-05-2004, 14:16
I got a HP Laserjet 1100. And got the v1.7.5.6 CR2 firmware. But still I can't print. There will come pages out of my printer, but there are a few lines on it with al the ASCII-caracters (hearts, smiles, etc). This is even when i'm do the testpage.
I'm printing from WinXP and tried many setting, also RAW, RAW[FF appended] and RAW[FF auto].

On the Firmware thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=249) I found this link (http://www.pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/) where it says that my printer is supported.

Can somebody explain what I'm doing wrong?

Oleg
07-05-2004, 14:30
I got a HP Laserjet 1100. And got the v1.7.5.6 CR2 firmware. But still I can't print. There will come pages out of my printer, but there are a few lines on it with al the ASCII-caracters (hearts, smiles, etc). This is even when i'm do the testpage.
I'm printing from WinXP and tried many setting, also RAW, RAW[FF appended] and RAW[FF auto].

On the Firmware thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=249) I found this link (http://www.pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/) where it says that my printer is supported.

Can somebody explain what I'm doing wrong?
Does it use LPT port for connection?

MisterA
07-05-2004, 14:36
Does it use LPT port for connection?

Sorry, didn't mention it. Yes it connects by using the LPT port

Oleg
07-05-2004, 14:53
In this case it definetly should work.
Have you tried using different drivers? I.e. built-in XP drivers & HP provided? Also, some HP printers supports different dialects of printing languages (i.e. PostScript, PCL, etc...). Have you tried to use different drivers/settings?

MisterA
07-05-2004, 15:33
Tried almost every setting with drivers from HP, it doesn't make a difference. But sometimes I had the push the button on the printer te let it print the page, but there are still coming the ASCII-characters :mad:

The printer is combatible with HP Jetdirect says the printtestpage thats coming from the printer itself. Why doesn't it work correctly? Do I have to try an other firmware?

rej
09-05-2004, 11:57
Hi there,

I have the exact same printer and the same problem. Here is my printer status:

Asus software:
1) HP1100 prints fine
2) Brother HL-1430 OK on Parallel, not on USB

Olegs CR2:
1) HP1100 prints garbage
2) Brother HL1430 OK on both USB and Parallel

Something strange going on here. I didn't expect the brother to work on the router at all, since this is more or less a GDI printer, whereas I thought there would be no problems at all with my HP1100 printer, ESPECIALLY not with the CR2 software, as I understand the printserver in this correspond to HP JetDirect which the HP1100 definitely supports.

As a sidenote, my observations with CR2 in combination with the Brother printer was that printing speed was significantly increased over the standard Asus software. Using the Asus software the printer would not start receiving data till after a few seconds after clicking print. Then it would print a page - stop - print a page and so on. With Olegs software, the printer would receive data almost imidiately, and print continuously.

So for printing speed alone I am not happy to go back to the Asus software and then there is also a bunch of other improvements that I like in his compilation, but since I had to return the Brother printer to my parents, it looks like I have to revert to Asus :(

rej
10-05-2004, 19:29
This is very strange. At first I was able to print to my HP1100, and everything would look fine, using the default firmware (1.6.5.3). With Olegs custom software it didn't work, so I reverted to a standard Asus version (1.7.5.6) and now nothing works! I even tried the version that the router came with, now that doesn't work either! I will try to connect the printer directly to the PC tonight, to see whether something has gone wrong with the driver, even though I have reinstalled it.

BR,
René

MisterA
10-05-2004, 20:12
I give up. Different firmwares, different drivers, different settings. I've even tried other compatible printerdrivers for other printers. Nothing is working.

Maybe I need some magic, who can say?

Thanks for helping. By the way. If someone has the magic please tell me.

Patriarch
11-05-2004, 10:05
G'day

I've had the HP 1100 for years, and had it working with The Jetdirect printerservers as well as Wl 500g. I believe that this is not a problem with Olegs firmware cause I tried it and the HP 1100 worked like a charm. You should however use the Asus firmware If you dont wanna have telnet open to attacks from the internet (in my opinion) Another thing is that I know from past experiences that the hp1100 runs better with the hp1120c drivers. This was discovered on a Jetdirect box (However as far as I know the wl500g uses the same printing techique as the Jetdirect series)
Try deleting all printers, and ad the hp1120 printer to a standard tcp port on your routers ip. btw hp1120 = ecp+epp RAW DONT USE ASUS PRINTING DISCOVERY as this in my experience is faulty software(Might be because of some broadcasting issue in either the wl500g firmware or the Asus config tool)

Good Luck

Regards

Technik
11-05-2004, 13:38
... You should however use the Asus firmware If you dont wanna have telnet open to attacks from the internet (in my opinion) ...
It's not open by default anymore on latest Oleg's firmware version 1.7.5.6-3...

rej
12-05-2004, 16:12
I know from past experiences that the hp1100 runs better with the hp1120c drivers. This was discovered on a Jetdirect box (However as far as I know the wl500g uses the same printing techique as the Jetdirect series)

I think we are talking two different printers, I am talking about the Laserjet 1100, whereas I think you are talking about the Deskjet 1100.

So the problem is still unsolved, and quite mysterious and I am very anoyed by it :(

BR,
René

rej
12-05-2004, 19:02
OK, I've messed arround with it, and I STILL can't make it work. The problem is exactly the same, whether I use LPR or RAW print server (i.e. Asus or Oleg firmware). It prints only garbage, one or two lines per page. Often time I have to press the button on the printer to make it print the next page, and this also contains garbage. One page also becomes multiple pages. I am almost certain that it worked in the beginning, but reverting to Asus firmware still won't make it work.

I know for a fact that the printer worked with my D-Link router with built-in LPR printserver (only here the queue name was lp instead of LPRServer) and it also worked on a borrowed Fujitsu-Siemens Connect2Air 500 router with LPR print server. Therefore it seems very strange that my printer doesn't work with the Asus router at least with LPR print server.

I am wondering whether it can be a hardware issue, that makes the printer incompatible with the router. Does anybody have a comment for this?

It is quite anoying, since the printserver was the primary reason for chosing this router when I changed from wired to wireless.

BR,
René

Antiloop
12-05-2004, 19:49
ok uhm.. you could try a soft reset for your printer.. or even a hard reset (ie call hp for the correct times to press the buttons, when i have time i will look it up at the hp connect online system)

is your printer working at this particulair moment too with the other routers?

rej
12-05-2004, 20:02
ok uhm.. you could try a soft reset for your printer.. or even a hard reset (ie call hp for the correct times to press the buttons, when i have time i will look it up at the hp connect online system)
Do you think that would help, the printer works fine connected to the PC itself?

is your printer working at this particulair moment too with the other routers?
I don't know, as I don't have them in the house anymore.
BR,
René

Oleg
12-05-2004, 20:51
A small foot note: be sure to either restart windows printer spooler or reboot your pc completely after each unsuccessfull print attempt. when playing with drivers.

gerrit
13-05-2004, 15:01
Hi,

I had a similar experience with my brother HL5040 using oleg's firmware (i didn't try with asus firmware). It would only print garbage. I finally fixed it by using another printer cable (a shorter one)! It works from windows clients connected by ethernet, i didn't try wireless yet.

Antiloop
13-05-2004, 20:35
okay.. as i own a few HP Laserjets as well (6L, 2200DTN, 2200DN) i will try to hook one up again to the wl500g and see if it works at parallel AND usb (i've only it at usb before, i assume the 1100 doesn't have usb or does it?)

Lord_Moebius
23-05-2004, 01:47
Just as you, I have spent quite some time getting my HP LaserJet 1100 to work with the Asus WL500g, but alas... It just doesn't work, printing garbled text and weird characters all the time. :mad:

I used both the old and the new 1.3.0.0 Asus utilities to set it up, and I am using 1.7.5.6 firmware, with a fix for PPTP (by Oleg?).

I only tried the LPR protocol, which works perfectly for the exact same printer when hooked to the LPD of an old Redhat 7.0 Linux server. In other words: it's definitely the Asus WLAN router that's at fault here. :confused:

Erwin

lukie
17-08-2004, 00:14
This helped my with my HP Laserjet 1100 which is connected by the LPT Port.
Follow the instructions given in the Manual.
Open the properities of your connection: 'Standard TCP/IP Port'
Select the 'LPR' Protocol.
Enter quename: 'LPRServer'
Done. This worked for me. HTH for U
(i'm using ASUS FW 1.7.5.6, WinXP SP1, HP1100 driver from Microsoft, 2m LPT cable)

sebbbb
20-08-2004, 10:05
Hey!
I've got the same problem with mit HP Laserjet 1100 @ Asus WL-500-g.

I also tried 3 different FWs for the Router and 2 different Printer-Drivers, but it doesn't work. Data is send is to the Printer and the Printer says i had to push the START-Button, b/c Data is puffered.
When i push the START-Button just 1 line of sh** is printed.

Please help me. I tried really all possibilities: I Know you need to use LPR (with LPRServer) when you use Win XP. But that doesn't work either.

Please... Do you have a solution???

Could it be a broken hardware???

P.S: Sorry for my bad english

Sebbbb

monnier
20-08-2004, 16:59
- USB printer interfaces are not simple bidirectional pipes like a parallel interface. You can have several pipes (channels) going to the same USB printer at the same time. More specifically, USB devices advertise themselves as either 7/1/1 (i.e. unidirectional pipe), 7/1/2 (bidirectional pipe), or 7/1/3 (multi channel).
- The JetDirect protocol offers very similar multi-channel facilities. But our own daemon (the p910nd) only implements a small subset of JetDirect: a unidirectional pipe (the next version will probably offer a bidirectional pipe).

What is probably happening is that the printer's driver uses the extra features of the JetDirect protocol, so it does not work with the p910nd daemon. By constrast, when talking to an LPR server, the driver knows all too well that it only has a unidirectional pipe available (the LPR protocol is very restrictive).

Now, why does it work over JetDirect when it's connected to the parallel port?
Why doesn't it work over LPR with Oleg's firmware?
No ideas.

Maybe you could try the new p910nd with bidirectional support: it didn't help me get
my ink-level information, but maybe it will be just sufficient to get your LJ-1100 to
work over JetDirect to USB.