PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [Wish] PPP connection through USB - Is it possible?

RoofCat
05-05-2004, 21:46
Hello,

If there is a wishlist for customized software, I've got an item which may be worth including in it - namely PPP backup connection through modem (or GSM phone) connected to USB port of WL-500g box. Main usage of this feature is to allow transparent fallback in case of WAN connection failure. This may allow to inform remotely owner about failure and also to backup rather useful security mode of Asus box.

I've read about such feature implemented in one of the Pheenet routers.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience in Linux development and only limited expirience in Unix setup. But I am ready to test this feature if it will appear someday in CR versions.

Regards,
RoofCat

Nenik
26-07-2004, 19:35
I'm currently running GPRS / Siemens M50 / Prolific PL2303 USB/serial as my primary internet connection.

I only had to add usbserial and pl2303 modules and /sbin/chat program, with few scripts to use it as a primary connection.

As a fallback, you'll have to hack the original scripts much deeper, as the unit would probably try to reboot itself if it loses WAN.

Antiloop
26-07-2004, 23:43
I'm currently running GPRS / Siemens M50 / Prolific PL2303 USB/serial as my primary internet connection.

I only had to add usbserial and pl2303 modules and /sbin/chat program, with few scripts to use it as a primary connection.

As a fallback, you'll have to hack the original scripts much deeper, as the unit would probably try to reboot itself if it loses WAN.
nice.. are you willing to write a howto for this? (also include some examples then please)
tx