PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Cannot get into my Asus WL500G Deluxe anymore - Deep trouble

cranberry
27-10-2005, 02:25
My Asus WL500G Deluxe, with openwrt, was working perfectly. Then I tried to setup WDS with another Linksys WRT54G v1 (connecting to ADSL). It worked fine. They linked together. Perfect, I was happy. So I tried to swap them, connect Asus to ADSL instead. I simply 'reboot' from ssh. Then, oops, can't connect back to the device. But Linksys is ok.

As I know there are two ways to rescue a Asus WL500G Deluxe.

1. Reflash the firmware: Unplug power, press reset, replug power, 1s then release reset. Then can tftp to 192.168.1.1.

2. Failsafe of openwrt: Unplug power, Plug again and wait for 3s, then press reset and hold for 10s then release. Then can telnet to 192.168.1.1 and reach a minimal openwrt.

I tried both before, they worked.

But this time, a whole night of 5 hours, retry again and again, all failed. All I can see is the box bootup until Power and Air are on. I can see a non-secured wireless network named "openwrt". Can connect to it. No dhcp. No 192.168.1.1 there. What about LAN? No, no 192.168.1.1 too.

People suggested serial console but I have no idea of how to buy those electronic parts and put things together.

Should I send my box back to Asus. Will they help me?

Randale91
27-10-2005, 09:10
1. Please check your switch or hub (power off and wait min 30 sec) if you are using such a device between computer and router

2. Openwrt will switch to another ip in tftp mode, if you changed it before.
I saw this behavior some time ago.
So the router will not answer with a ping response on ip 192.168.1.1.

3. Please power off router (wl500g) Wait!!!! And be patient,
plug the power after 5minutes and try to get to tftp recovery mode.

4. Does the power flash ? If yes find the ip the unit responses and
try using Asus Firmware recovery utility from windows and flash a normal
oleg custom firmware.....

5. Disable all firewall programs !!!!

Good luck.

cranberry
27-10-2005, 10:20
If its in flash mode, the power led will blink and wait for tftp upload. Main problem is that this behaviour disappeared, no matter how i repeat the push reset->power->release reset sequence.

I think I haven't done the sequence wrong?

TheEagle
27-10-2005, 10:48
one thing not mentioned in here before ... if you manage to get your wl500g into recovery mode (actually I have no idea why it does not seem to work), u need to set your network card to DHCP, then open a console and to be sure type

ipconfig /release

enter

ipconfig /renew

Especially the "renew" will take a while, a minute or so. After this do a

ipconfig /all

The ip should be something starting with "169.xxx.xxx.xxx" ... only THEN you'll be able to use the firmware restoration tool from asus.

Randale91
27-10-2005, 14:11
If its in flash mode, the power led will blink and wait for tftp upload. Main problem is that this behaviour disappeared, no matter how i repeat the push reset->power->release reset sequence.

I think I haven't done the sequence wrong?

Yes, then you have a problem.

Maybe a little hint:

1. Power off ASUS router
(i had the same problem, min 30minutes off!! go for a walk, take a deep breath ;) )

2. Press reset button

3. Power on and wait until power led flashes!!!!

4. Now!!, release reset button.
(if you release the button too fast, you will never
reach recovery mode)

Don't be nervous, i know if you try to get it working the more
you are getting upset.

If all these hints fail, return your router and buy a new one.

britnet
27-10-2005, 14:41
If all the steps fail Randale91 describes you have to try this:

I had a similar problem in the past.

britnet
27-10-2005, 14:46
If all the steps fail Randale91 describes you have to try this:

I had a similar problem in the past.

Try This:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2615

Styno: Hey Britnet, you can use the 'Edit' button for that :)

cranberry
28-10-2005, 02:06
I think I'd try to return it to Asus first. If they discover my non-oem firmware and refuse to replace, I'll try that method

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/redhat/wrt54g_revival.html

But, its for linksys! Why?

Styno
28-10-2005, 08:33
In the firmware upgrading howto, there are also some tips when normal upgrading doesn't work: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1329