PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Better antenna for wl500g (cheap ofcourse)

i-beast-a
02-05-2004, 21:53

Technik
02-05-2004, 23:15
Well, I would start with the Radio Power tuning on WL-500g first (firmware 1.7.5.6 - Wireless - Advanced)...
If you really wish to replace the antenna, check this link: http://www.saunalahti.fi/elepal/antennie.html

i-beast-a
03-05-2004, 09:55
Thanx for the link!

This is good reading stuff.....

I've already played with the output power of the transmitter.
But raising this power is only half the job!!!
I've to raise the power of the laptop also :-)
And this is not possible.

With a better antenna you cover both back and forth communications.

If i'm gonna play with a homebrewed antenna I'll definately post it here :-)

Technik
03-05-2004, 10:10
I've already played with the output power of the transmitter.
But raising this power is only half the job!!!
I've to raise the power of the laptop also :-)
And this is not possible.

Yes I know that. ;) But did you try to decrease the router's radio power as well?
It could be also possible that PC card is setting it's own radio power automatically and it could depend on received signal level. If the received signal is too strong, the PC card could 'think' that no high power is necessary and set it low... But the strange thing is that you don't see the router at all occassionally. Maybe you could also check the power management settings of the WiFi card...

i-beast-a
03-05-2004, 17:45
I already set my laptop to long range al the time and so it is not able to decrease it's power.

I'm going to play with it for a while now.....

I live in a home with concrete walls and ceilings, so there is metal everywhere :mad:

But it is still strange that the signal strenght looks perfect and the connection simply dies at some locations.

Could this be a kind of noise in a specific frequency?? :confused:

Olituga
04-05-2004, 11:42
Hi!
My systemprinting ( i use printer hp 5550 series, Win XP, USB serverport) now with firmware 1.7.5.6-test4 works! Congratulations, Oleg! I, i am a absolutely novice in that things... I'm a simple informatic user and therefore i can only look for programs-solution!
Yes, it works, but...still two "buts"...
1. Like with firmware 1.6.5.3, also now the file remains longtime in the queue after printing while the printer's led flashs...
2. Also like with firmware 1.6.5.3, now parallel port also don't works properly. (Note that parallel cable works very well direct from computer). From parallel port of the print server it prints two lines and the sheet skipt imediatly.
Please, does someone can explain the reasons and better the solutions?
Thanx!

Olituga

Antiloop
04-05-2004, 13:40
:confused: ehh Olituga you should probably place your post in the right thread..

Alpaca
16-06-2004, 08:15
I'd like to come back to the original topic. Unfortunately, I am not too much into building an antenna myself. I'd rather get one off the shelf. Would a 5 dB antenna do any good? Does anyone know what the gain of the original antenna is?

RoofCat
16-06-2004, 08:50
Would a 5 dB antenna do any good? Does anyone know what the gain of the original antenna is?

As far as I remember - original antenna is 2 dB. My prior experience with exchanging 2dB->5dB antennas on Dlink equipment shows positive results (more stable connection on 300 m LOS distance).