PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Afterburner/125MBits : Which PCI-Cards are compatible?

TinyRK
18-10-2005, 22:31
Hello there,

has anybody experiences with other 125MBits-PCI-WLan-Cards than with the ASUS-Products?

What about this card:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=184400

I think it uses the same chipset (Broadcom), so I think it should work, eh?
I want to use ith with the WL-500g Dlx
What do you think?

Thanks in advance

WlanMan
18-10-2005, 23:45
Hi

I dont habe this card, but if it has the same chipset and moreover if it is advertised with afterburner support (maybe some other marketing name thou) it should work. All these non-standart speeders are only compatible with same chipsetvendor of course.

Greets

TinyRK
19-10-2005, 07:41
I´ll gonna check it out. :D

Styno
19-10-2005, 08:41
The chipset needs to be Broadcom and advertise with 125Mbps or Afterburner.

TheEagle
20-10-2005, 16:44
Yeah I'd also like to know if there are PCI cards known to work with wl500g deluxe afterburner. I contacted Linksys they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me if their card works, and Asus at least told that prolly from November there'll be a wl-138gE PCI card supporting afterburner. Can't wait ^^

TinyRK
24-10-2005, 13:06
I just wanted to report, that it works great!
Full steam ahead with 125MBit/s!

For only 30€ I did nothing wrong.

So, go out and support your local dealer. :D

TheEagle
24-10-2005, 14:00
woohooo, thx m8! :cool:

pintovit
25-10-2005, 09:56
TinyRK, have/could you test it with a wl500g (not the deluxe)?

It would be nice to know. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Vítor

TinyRK
25-10-2005, 18:19
I have tested it with an ASUS WL500g Deluxe.
There is no opportunity to test it with another device.
Sorry :(

Styno
25-10-2005, 19:33
Ok so you've got the 125MB/s marketing speed, great! Can you tell us what that means in real world performance? Show us some benchmarks please....

TinyRK
26-10-2005, 07:23
Tell me how to bench, please.
Kind of 3DMark for WLan? :D

Give me Links to the Benchmarks, and I´ll do it.

Styno
26-10-2005, 08:22
Simple, copy some files (large and small) with afterburner enabled/disabled and time it (1 m distance). Then do it again, say, 10 m away, that should tell us something about the enhanced range capabilities.

No fancy software needed, sorry :p

TheEagle
26-10-2005, 14:55
Got my card (Belkin) today. So far I'm not .... impressed. Actually I'm angry. I already had written this post saying I only reach 2,4MByte/s in 1m distance. Then I remembered that all the time i was testing now I had afterburner enabled. I gave it a chance and DISABLED it. Wow ... 5MByte/sec transfer rate.

Obviously Belkin HighSpeed WLan PCI card is NOT compatible to Asus Afterburner mode, although the connection info says 125MBit (so somehow AP and client seem to be compatible). If I discover anything else, I'll tell you. For now I'm just pissed I didn't buy the cheaper normal 54g card. :(

Edit: prolly some newer driver could help, original Belkin is dated Feb'04 and I can't find a newer one on their website. If any1 finds a newer one, please tell me.

TinyRK
26-10-2005, 15:46
Sorry to hear that. :(
I haven´t benched it yet, and the shown 125MBit-Connection made me shure to have Afterburner enabled and full combatibility. :o

Edit: And another thing is: Afterburner is mentioned in the driver-preferences.

TheEagle
27-10-2005, 09:47
Ok i have to take back few things I said.

Looks like when I tested without afterburner I forgot to disable my wired connection first (was in a hurry to leave :rolleyes: ) so the 5MByte were not over W-Lan. Came back home late so I cancelled the "1m" tests and brought the card to a friend who sits on the "receiving end". So my test environment is now:

Asus Wl500g Deluxe --> 2m RG58 cable --> self-made antenna ( this one: http://theeagle.dyndns.org/wlan.jpg ) --> 60-70m through the air, no obstacles --> 1 or 2 concrete walls (hard to tell which way the signal is taking ;) ), --> one more antenna like mine, 2m RG58 cable, the Belkin card.

Oh by the way I found another driver (shouldn't have looked for "german" drivers, but for english ones on their website) still they're from mid 2004. And don't seem to improve anything.

After I installed the card I got an instable connection from 500kbyte/s to 700kbyte. Without afterburner. I have to mention that with the 802.11B card we used before we had rock stable 635kbyte. Ok, lets enable the afterburner. NOTHING. No connection possible ... it showed the 125MBit, but kept trying to receive an IP until it timed out. :(

So after some setting here and there in the router (afterburner off, frame bursting re-enabled, setting channel 11 manually , one or another reboot, dont know what else) we have somewhat stable 780-820kbyte/sec. Though that is more than my internet connection can provide, I'm not really satisfied with it. Especially since it seems I never got more than 2,4MByte in 1m distance. Or do I expect to much? I mean, with 54Mbit card I'm almost not better than with 11MBit.

I'll try a bi-quad antenna next month I think ... and if i got money left, the asus card (wl-138gE) if it ever hits the market.

TheEagle
10-12-2005, 08:29
breaking news ... google delivers first search results for "wl-138gE", the asus afterburner PCI card. Not yet available anywhere, but at least it's mentioned on some pages (it has not been 1 month ago) ... if anybody manages to buy one, please report.