PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Dynamic Dns problems

ethanpil
02-05-2004, 16:58
First of all, I want to thank everyone here in this community, I dont know what I would have done without all of your help and the better firmware! Its too bad that Asus can't pay you for doing their work for them... :D

Anyway, I have not been able to get dyndns or zoneedit to update sucessfully, neither automatically or manually. I dont even see when it tries is the system log. So I have several questions for you guys, maybe you can help me out:

1) Can I update my dynamic dns service from the command line by telnet? How?

2) Where can I see the status of the last attempted automatic or manual update. I have looked all over the Status and Log pages of the config page, but no luck.

3) What is the proper information to put into the dynanic dns setting section, here is what I have, is it correct? I have used these settings successfully with my old linksys for almost 2 years...

I really appreciate any insights you guys can provide, I really need to get this working! Thanks

Ethan

Oleg
03-05-2004, 00:01
1)
/init/ddnsclient FORCE
2) There is no status available
3) Your config is right, but probably the IP address assigned to wl500g is not valid

ethanpil
03-05-2004, 04:19
Oleg,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you explain what you mean by not having a valid ip address? I have dhcp through my isp, how can the ip be invalid?

How can I tell if my IP is invalid and what can I do to correct the situation, if that is the case?

PS. I ran the command /init/ddnsclient FORCE at the commandline and I got the response: DDNS Update NOIP

What does that indicate?

Thanks

Ethan

Oleg
03-05-2004, 10:57
Your IP address should be "real" internet address, not the one from the internal net of your ISP. Also, if yo use ADSL modem you to configure to bridge mode and terminate PPPoE/PPTP traffic using WL-500g.
To check on your IP address post "IP Address" field from the Status & Log | Status page.

ethanpil
03-05-2004, 16:15
Everything looks correct to me, see the image below...

I am on a cable modem, dynamic ip address, and I dont have to login and its not PPPOE thats why I am so stumped!

What else could it be?

Thanks for your help!

ethan

Oleg
03-05-2004, 16:36
Have you tried manual updating using the browser? Does it show the same IP?

ethanpil
03-05-2004, 17:09
Do you mean manually updating my DHCP address or my DynDNS address?

I have tried both, my ip address through the cable modem comes back correctly 68.32.112.83 and of course as mentioned, clicking update under dyndns settings does nothing either.

Oleg
03-05-2004, 17:28
No, I mean updating the dyndns using browser - http://www.dyndns.org

kuen
04-05-2004, 07:48
Hi all,

Also my hostname of DynDNS.org can't update suddenly, I can press update button at webpage to update it manually before. But now all methods I have tried still not update. :(

There is none of log against DDNS except using command
/init/ddnsclient FORCE and get "DDNS Update NOIP"

regards,
kuen

ethanpil
04-05-2004, 15:43
I can update manually on the dyndns.org website, but I want the router to do it, manually checking, comparing and updating my ip is not something I want to do on a daily basis.

Does anyone have any other ideas or wats for me to debug this problem?

Ethan

kuen
05-05-2004, 04:42
I found it can work if "WAN DNS Setting" select "No" and input custom ip provided by ISP.

ethanpil
16-05-2004, 16:55
kuen,
you have figured it out. this seems to be working for me so far. is this a bug in the firmware?

ethan

kuen
18-05-2004, 07:47
It should be a bug! I have upgaded the lastest firmware still got the problem. My DDNS must "manual" update everytime restart the WL500g, if disconnect the WAN (no restart the WL500g) sometimes can auto-update when reconnected to ISP.

Hope can fix it at new firmware! Or Can I custom my script to update the DDNS automatically?

kuen

ethanpil
18-05-2004, 07:56
I am not sure how to edit the script in the firmware to make it work correctly. But I wonder how can we call attention to this problem?

Antiloop
18-05-2004, 10:15
if one of you can figure out the 'problem' it can almost surely be fixed, but i assume that your ip's change very often

mine are 'dynamic' and did not change for over 1,5year already so i can't test this for one of you i think..

kuen
19-05-2004, 16:44
not often change! few days will change one time. if changed, I can't access my router from Internet until manual update.

kuen