PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : cpu freq on WL500g

vio
07-10-2005, 14:08
Default value of clkfreq is 125. There is any way to lower this more than 100MHz? The ideea is to minimize the power consumption of the box. The lower consumption obtained is 500mA when wl is down. The asus router is used for some serial data aquisition and the processor load is very small.

I tried the following commands:
1. nvram set clkfreq=100 && nvram commit && reboot; result: CPU: BCM4710 rev 0 at 100 MHz
2. nvram set clkfreq=64 && nvram commit && reboot; result: CPU: BCM4710 rev 0 at 100 MHz

There is any any power management functions available for BCM4710?

WlanMan
08-10-2005, 12:54
Hi

No one that i know about. The "hlt" instruction known by x86 cpu´s is not presend so the kernel can not put the processor into some sleep mode during inactivity. But maybe oleg knows more.

Does the down-clocking work, i mean is it persistend after reboot and shows the kernel log a lower bogomips count ?

Greets

vio
09-10-2005, 09:56
Hi,

The down-clock is persistent after reboot, but the 100MHz is the minimum. I found the table in the code and indeed there are no values lower than this. Maybe the stability is affected when cpu freq is too low.

one reason for me to try to lower down the power consumption: WL-500g cannot be mounted on a car (with a DC/DC converter) because in around 4 days will "kill" the battery if the car is not used.

Regards

Hi

No one that i know about. The "hlt" instruction known by x86 cpu´s is not presend so the kernel can not put the processor into some sleep mode during inactivity. But maybe oleg knows more.

Does the down-clocking work, i mean is it persistend after reboot and shows the kernel log a lower bogomips count ?

Greets

Styno
09-10-2005, 10:49
Can't you use some on/off circuitry in the car to minimise the poweruse of the WL-500g? Or does it have to be on 24/7?

WlanMan
09-10-2005, 16:42
The down-clock is persistent after reboot, but the 100MHz is the minimum. I found the table in the code and indeed there are no values lower than this. Maybe the stability is affected when cpu freq is too low.

You think right, most cpu´s are dynamic devices which will not work without a minimum clock rate. You can think of it as the cpu´s registers are like dram and the general funktion depends on a steady pulse to refresh them (but this is a very simple aproximation).

Can´t you use an extra lead acid battery in the car ? There is not much you can do to reduce power on the 500g, maybe cut/desolder the led´s, try to cut power trace to the printer port chip... i wouldn´t recoment any of this :).

Greets

vio
10-10-2005, 06:11
The DC/DC converter used are able to do on/off function, but it will be some more hardware & wiring required. And also I'll loose the logs from the box. I can save the logs into flash, but I'm not sure how many times I can do save 2 flash.

Can't you use some on/off circuitry in the car to minimise the poweruse of the WL-500g? Or does it have to be on 24/7?

xtraya
10-10-2005, 15:53
my asus goes 216 mhz

i bought it in may 2004, MAC adreses goes somthing like 00 0E A8 ...

britnet
02-12-2005, 10:51
my asus goes 216 mhz

i bought it in may 2004, MAC adreses goes somthing like 00 0E A8 ...

Hey,

really cool.

I only have a Wl500b, and I dont really need the wireless speed.
But I need more CPU Power, because of generating pictures with rrd tool.

Which are the steps, I can run the CPU?

Will it be stable?