PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Newbie Advice Needed

nevillybob
01-05-2004, 19:53
I currently have a combined ADSL modem/Router working which is connected to a few P.C.'s via a 10Mbit hub.
The router is acting as a DHCP server.

I want to add a WL500g but want to keep the ADSL modem/router in place. What kind of setup should I go for? Should I just replace the hub and run the WL500g in WAP mode only connected to the adsl router/modem? If so does this limit my ability to use the printer sharing/usb functionality?

Cheers,

Nevillybob.

Rynno
02-05-2004, 12:31
You could replace the 10mb hub for the WL500G, and set ip up as an "Access Point"
But than you can't use some nice functions of this thing. But the printerport will work in this mode.
4 * 10/100mb ports are available for your other pc's in the wired lan.
Enter the setup: Menu System setup, Operation, and select Access Point.
By doing this, the five LAN ports and the wireless users are connected as one network without the router functions.
The next thing you can do (but is not a must) is setup a fixed IP and subnet mask (255.255.255.0) for the access point:
Menu IP Config, Lan, then pick an IP that matches the IP adress pool of your other (DHCP enabled) router.
By choosing a fixed IP for your access point it's easyer to remember for configurations.

Thats all.

nevillybob
02-05-2004, 13:38
Thanks for the swift reply.

You mention I would not be able to use some of the nice functions. Which functions would they be?

Many Thanks

Nevillybob

Technik
02-05-2004, 15:43
Thanks for the swift reply.

You mention I would not be able to use some of the nice functions. Which functions would they be?

Many Thanks

Nevillybob
Hehe, just try to switch the router to AP mode and you will see what disappears from the web configurator menu... :) For instance it's USB application settings (FTP server and Web Camera) etc... But it's still possible to change the configuration or start daemons using Telnet / SSH of course (if you are running on Oleg's customized firmware). ;)