PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [wireless] No connection with centrino chipset

magico
26-04-2004, 21:45
After reading several user comments on the ASUS 500g I decided to buy one too. After unpacking and connecting the wires I had great difficulties establishing a wireless connection with my NEC P520 laptop (also known as the "TU/e" laptop). This laptop has a build in Intel Pro Wireless LAN 2100 3B mini pci card.

At home I have no problem connecting to my 3com office gateway wireless router, but the Asus just won't work. I followed Antiloop's guidelines for setting up the wireless connection, but with no result.

Using the program "Boingo" I managed to get a wireless connection of 5-10 seconds, but then it disappears again. The speed during that short online-time is very low.

The "wired" functions of the Asus work fine on my laptop and pc.

Has anyone had similar problems, or knows what to do? Could it be that my intel wireless card is incompatible? By the way, my asus router has the latest unmodded firmware.

Regards,

Magico!

Royan
27-04-2004, 00:27
I have a Dell 8600 with centrino as well. I think I have the same Intel Pro Wireless LAN 2100 3B mini pci card in my laptop.

When I first set up wireless networking from the asus router, I couldnt keep any connections either.

It turned out that windows xp wireless config and the Intel wireless config program that dell had installed were competing over which one should have control of the card.
Once I turned off the Intel program, most of my problems went away.

Since I set up the asus with "broadcast ssid" turned off, I got other problems. It turns out that the built-in windows xp wireless config has a tendency to drop connections to access points with "broadcast ssid" turned off, in favour og access points that broadcasts ssid. According to MS; "it's a feature" (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427) . :( Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building, and one of my neighbours has a wireless accesspoint with broadcast ssid turned on...

I sorta overcame that by turning up the signal strength from my router to 50mW. I don't know why it helps, but I don't have any lost connections anymore.

Don't know it any of this helps you, but it might give you some ideas to try.

I've been running Olegs 1.6.5.3-3 and 1.7.5.6-2 firmwares, and the signal strength has been set using nvram commands.

best of luck
Royan

Edit: Link.

magico
27-04-2004, 11:27
Thank you for your reply, unfortunatly I didn't help me out. Still I can't get my laptop to recognize the asus router. The laptop simply doesn't see the router at all! It looks like the wireless part of my router is broken or something?

Is it right that the laptop should at least see the router? Even if it's configured wrong? My laptop does see other wireless routers, like the 3com officeconnect.

Antiloop
27-04-2004, 12:10
not if it blocks broadcasting.. then your notebook would not be able to see the network

magico
27-04-2004, 12:37
not if it blocks broadcasting..

The router doesn't block broadcasting, that's why I don't get it, why is the router invisible for my laptop?

Antiloop
27-04-2004, 13:40
The router doesn't block broadcasting, that's why I don't get it, why is the router invisible for my laptop?

have you followed my howto already ? -exactly like described- ?

magico
27-04-2004, 13:45
have you followed my howto already ? -exactly like described- ?

Yes I did, I understand that you are a little bit sceptic about that because my broadcasting is still on. But the broadcasting was the only feature that I configured differently form your howto. But switching on or off the broadcasting does not make a difference in my configuration :(

Antiloop
27-04-2004, 14:58
Yes I did, I understand that you are a little bit sceptic about that because my broadcasting is still on. But the broadcasting was the only feature that I configured differently form your howto. But switching on or off the broadcasting does not make a difference in my configuration :(

i'm not sceptic, that exactly setup has been proven to work (if the devices communicate correctly offcourse)
but if you set it up like that than you can try to find out what the real problem is, because the software settings are already good.

- and surely be sure to install without (if possible with intel) utility, reinstall drivers after removing eventual
- try netstumbler to discover wireless network
- how long is your SSID ? or are you still using the one given in my howtosetup thing.. ?

- do you have the ability to test another wireless card ?

magico
27-04-2004, 17:51
- and surely be sure to install without (if possible with intel) utility, reinstall drivers after removing eventual

Yes I tried, but with no result. I also uninstalled my complete Mcafee security software, but that didn't help either

- try netstumbler to discover wireless network

I did, no results yet

- how long is your SSID ? or are you still using the one given in my howtosetup thing.. ?

I tried several, including AAPg.

- do you have the ability to test another wireless card ?

No the only thing I know for sure is that my Intel wireless card in the laptop isn't broken because it does work on other routers.

I'm going back to the store tomorrow (Mycom, Eindhoven). I hope they give me the possiblilty to demonstrate my problem and we can work it out togheter. I can only think of a defect in the AP.

Antiloop
27-04-2004, 20:19
it's possible yes. probably they offer you to swap the unit (otherwise you can return it for credit, and buy a new one :))

I can't think of a solution yet..

magico
28-04-2004, 16:23
it's possible yes. probably they offer you to swap the unit (otherwise you can return it for credit, and buy a new one :))

I can't think of a solution yet..

I traded my asus router today. In the Mycom store the signal was also very weak (but it did connect strangly enough). They agreed that "something" was wrong so I got a new router (only the router itself, not the antenna, powercord, etc.).

When I came home I assumed all would work... But again, the same problem! ARGHHH. I'm starting to lose my mind here... :confused:
By accident, I used the router without the external antenna connected, suddenly the router works! (but the coverage is very poor, max. 5meters)
Can I conclude that the antenna is malfunctioning? Or has it to do with something else?

Antiloop
28-04-2004, 16:40
I traded my asus router today. In the Mycom store the signal was also very weak (but it did connect strangly enough). They agreed that "something" was wrong so I got a new router (only the router itself, not the antenna, powercord, etc.).

When I came home I assumed all would work... But again, the same problem! ARGHHH. I'm starting to lose my mind here... :confused:
By accident, I used the router without the external antenna connected, suddenly the router works! (but the coverage is very poor, max. 5meters)
Can I conclude that the antenna is malfunctioning? Or has it to do with something else?
possible.. if they don't want to swap the antenna, contact me
then i'll arange a antenna swap for you at another store in eindhoven

magico
28-04-2004, 17:09
possible.. if they don't want to swap the antenna, contact me
then i'll arange a antenna swap for you at another store in eindhoven

I did some tests and it's the antenne for sure... Very strange. I can pull it open but all seems to be allright/connected. Tommorow I will visit Mycom again.

Thank you for your offer, I'll keep it in mind. Also thanks for your excellent support so far.

Antiloop
28-04-2004, 19:59
you should normally not be able to pull it open

and I hope it's the antenna :)
good sign for the rest, still haven't heard of a defective WL500g (unless molestrated by user)

magico
28-04-2004, 20:19
and I hope it's the antenna :)

Yes it's the antenna :) You can pull off the top from the base of the antenna. When opened, you'll see a small metal cylinder with a white shielded wire coming out.

max2950
07-06-2004, 12:37
After reading several user comments on the ASUS 500g I decided to buy one too. After unpacking and connecting the wires I had great difficulties establishing a wireless connection with my NEC P520 laptop (also known as the "TU/e" laptop). This laptop has a build in Intel Pro Wireless LAN 2100 3B mini pci card.

At home I have no problem connecting to my 3com office gateway wireless router, but the Asus just won't work. I followed Antiloop's guidelines for setting up the wireless connection, but with no result.

Using the program "Boingo" I managed to get a wireless connection of 5-10 seconds, but then it disappears again. The speed during that short online-time is very low.

The "wired" functions of the Asus work fine on my laptop and pc.

Has anyone had similar problems, or knows what to do? Could it be that my intel wireless card is incompatible? By the way, my asus router has the latest unmodded firmware.

Regards,

Magico!

Hi !

I'm owning an Acer TravelMate 800 laptop, it also features the centrino chipset.
The laptop came with the same wireless card as your laptop. When i purchased my WL500g router i also struggled with the inability to have a wireless connection.
However my problem was a bit different, once i've had enabled WEP encryption i was not able to establish any connection any more... I tried to upgrade the routers firmware, the wlan card's driver, but nothing helped.
So i turned all encryption of on the router side... :eek: :eek:
Since running a wireless network without any encryption is not very secure, i decided to simply change the wireless card of my laptop for a Intel Wireless 2200BG. Now everything works fine, i have WEP encryption activated and stable wireless connections.
For information i'm using the drivers and intel utility that came with the 2200BG card...

Good Luck...

Styno
07-06-2004, 14:25
I happen to have the same laptop (Acer Travelmate 800) and I had also some struggles getting the Centrino chipset to work with the Asus router. Sometimes the connection just dropped after which it couldn't establish a connection anymore, sometimes it didn't see the AP but a connection was established anyway, etc.

I updated all drivers, tried several encryption options, and somehow, eventually it worked fine. So, it is possible to use the centrino chipset with the Asus router.

Note: There are problems with the "Wireless Zero Configuration" (a piece of MS sofware used in Windows XP to simplify wireless configuration) which causes a lot of problems like: no data exchange between pc and router while the connection (according to WinXP) is fine. When you have problems with wireless networks and are using Windows XP, try to disable wireless zero networking in Administrative Tools -> Services and use the software provided by the manufacturer of the wireless card.