PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Oleg Firmware: Please a GUI for SAMBA

grumpa
14-09-2005, 23:56
First a special thanks to Sjoerd (PeeWee) for helping me past 8 days of Asus agony. But I have raised the flag of surrender. I do not have the background to get Samba running, much less mount drives, create partitions through Telnet, run PuTTY and Nano, or anything else that could be handled by a GUI by Oleg just to get a wireless harddrive accessible in Windows. It would have been nice to unpack the WL-HDD2.5 give it a network identifier (SSID) and have it operating in minutes. So thanks again to Sjoerd.
Oleg ... please ... for those of us who just want a simple wireless harddrive ... GUI it.
Jim

Antiloop
15-09-2005, 10:21
First a special thanks to Sjoerd (PeeWee) for helping me past 8 days of Asus agony. But I have raised the flag of surrender. I do not have the background to get Samba running, much less mount drives, create partitions through Telnet, run PuTTY and Nano, or anything else that could be handled by a GUI by Oleg just to get a wireless harddrive accessible in Windows. It would have been nice to unpack the WL-HDD2.5 give it a network identifier (SSID) and have it operating in minutes. So thanks again to Sjoerd.
Oleg ... please ... for those of us who just want a simple wireless harddrive ... GUI it.
Jim
it's already GUI'd ?

grumpa
15-09-2005, 11:11
The Oleg "Samba GUI" was: Samba Demo. That apparently gives Read-Only drive access ... in the Macsat tutorials there are at least two other manaual steps that must be taken using Telnet / PuTTY / Nano to enable full read-write access. One was "Configuring Samba", which needed you to have already completed the "ipkg Tutorial". That is what I was asking for a full Samba GUI to do.
Jim

Oleg
15-09-2005, 11:29
R/W share name is share$

grumpa
15-09-2005, 11:49
Oleg ... first - thank you for the great firmware for my WL-HDD2.5. Great features. When you wrote that the "R/W share name is share$", please understand that even that is a mystery to me ... how to use it, how to enable it in Windows XP. I am not a newbie at all - I can learn Telnet ... but ... why couldn't the contents of the Masat Tutorials on configuring Samba and "ipkg" be part of the Oleg GUI? I have your firmware running my WL-HDD2.5 ... far superior to the Asus 1.2.3.4. But I can't get beyond "read-only" access - I get that through your Samba Demo. That is when I leanred I need to Telnet into the server and enter a world I am not familiar with ... and I wondered why theses last steps were necessary, or could it be part of the Oleg firmware suite.
Regardless of how this discussion turns out - thank you.
Jim

Oleg
15-09-2005, 12:22
you do not need telnet.
just browse \\wlhdd\share$ intead of \\wlhdd\share
this is a hidden folder

grumpa
15-09-2005, 14:03
Oleg ... thank you, 10 days of wireless madness are over. Share$ indeed gives me R/W access! Everything wireless seems to be working perfectly. I do have an unexpected problem not related to wireless. When I put my Ethernet cable into the WL-HDD2.5 I now get a Windows system error: IP conflict. Do I have enable/disable something in the configuration to allow Ethernet access?
Thanks again for all of you patience and understanding - expert help too.