PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Help: Wireless WL-HDD2.5 Setup

grumpa
13-09-2005, 14:47
I'll try to ask my question in another way. Can you connect a Wireless G WL-HDD2.5 with a Belkin (or any other) wireless router, or must it find an AP to hook up to ... ? If you can, does the WL-HDD2.5 get set up as an AP, WDS, or Hybrid? If you can't and it must find an AP, then is the WL-HDD2.5 set up as an AP, WDS, or Hybrid?
Forum experts ... take away my 8 day "can't install" pain ... please.
ps. using Asus fw: 1.2.3.4

peewee
14-09-2005, 12:38
My WL-HDD2.5 is connected (wireless) to my DLINK 6.14+ wireless router.
I use olegs firmware and no security options.
In the WL-HDD2.5 setup I use the same SID and channel that I use in my DLINK. Other changes in the WL-HDD setup are;

AP Mode: Hybrid
Connect to APs in Remote Bridge List?: Yes
Allow anonymous?: No
Remote Bridge List: "The wireless mac address of my DLINK"

Extended Mode: Ethernet Bridge (This is only so that I can connect the WL-HDD to a NON wireless device to give internet)

I have not made any changes in the DLINK. The DLINK is the DHCP server, firewall etc etc.

Mybe this helps you a bit?

grumpa
14-09-2005, 13:39
PeeWee ... you may be my answer!
Thanks for the one and only reply. It is reassuring to hear that the WL-HDD2.5 can work wirelessly - I started to believe it wasn't possible. I'll give your advice a try ... is there a way to reach you by email if I have other questions?
Thanks.
Jim

grumpa
14-09-2005, 13:41
PeeWee ... which Oleg firmware version are you using? Thank Jim
---

My WL-HDD2.5 is connected (wireless) to my DLINK 6.14+ wireless router.
I use olegs firmware and no security options.
In the WL-HDD2.5 setup I use the same SID and channel that I use in my DLINK. Other changes in the WL-HDD setup are;

AP Mode: Hybrid
Connect to APs in Remote Bridge List?: Yes
Allow anonymous?: No
Remote Bridge List: "The wireless mac address of my DLINK"

Extended Mode: Ethernet Bridge (This is only so that I can connect the WL-HDD to a NON wireless device to give internet)

I have not made any changes in the DLINK. The DLINK is the DHCP server, firewall etc etc.

Mybe this helps you a bit?

peewee
14-09-2005, 13:49
PeeWee ... which Oleg firmware version are you using? Thank Jim
---

http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wizard.php?brand=1&model=4&cat=firmware

(ASUS / WLHDD / 1.9.2.7-6b)

Sjoerd

grumpa
14-09-2005, 15:02
PeeWee your setup and solution worked. No answer from 12 calls to Asus TechSupport. I am online - finally. One more (I hope) question. I can access the hard drive (FAT32) using FTP, but I can't "see" it on my network ... it doesn't appear anywhere ... is FTP the only way to access it, or do I need another step (configuration) to get there?
Many thanks ... Jim

peewee
14-09-2005, 16:54
PeeWee your setup and solution worked. No answer from 12 calls to Asus TechSupport. I am online - finally. One more (I hope) question. I can access the hard drive (FAT32) using FTP, but I can't "see" it on my network ... it doesn't appear anywhere ... is FTP the only way to access it, or do I need another step (configuration) to get there?
Many thanks ... Jim

I'm glad to hear that it works.

To share your files you have to enable SAMBA. This acts like a windows share. See http://www.macsat.com/samba.php for this. Don't forget to give your WL-HDD a host name in the WL-HDD setup / IP Config or it will not work.

MACSAT has many useful tutorials.

Sjoerd

grumpa
14-09-2005, 19:08
Great progress but I'm going in circles. I read the Sambe tutorial, but it makes no sense to me (strictly a Windows guy). Here is where I am. I can (thanks to you) access the WL-HDD2.5 wirelessly! I can FTP into the hard drive and download files. If I fool around with the GUI Samba options (enable Samba Demo) I can see the hard drive using Windows Explorer, I can copy files from the drive, BUT I can't write to the drive. I suspect a restriction of the Demo? I think I need a more "newbie" guided approach to this final task of reading and writing to the drive wirelessly ... I suspect you have me close, but it looks far away to me. If you'd rather do this via email, I am at:
jimsavold@cox.net

peewee
14-09-2005, 19:33
Great progress but I'm going in circles. I read the Sambe tutorial, but it makes no sense to me (strictly a Windows guy). Here is where I am. I can (thanks to you) access the WL-HDD2.5 wirelessly! I can FTP into the hard drive and download files. If I fool around with the GUI Samba options (enable Samba Demo) I can see the hard drive using Windows Explorer, I can copy files from the drive, BUT I can't write to the drive. I suspect a restriction of the Demo? I think I need a more "newbie" guided approach to this final task of reading and writing to the drive wirelessly ... I suspect you have me close, but it looks far away to me. If you'd rather do this via email, I am at:
jimsavold@cox.net

I might not be able to help you with this one.

After fooling around with the SAMBA demo mode I ended up using the MACSAT tutorial to get it working. I only use it so I can share files to my XBOX. If you look at the SAMBA menu in the WL-HDD setup you see that it says nothing about which directories you want to share or that you allow changes or not. In windows you can choose a directory, give it a share name and choose the type of access (R/RW).

In MACSAT's tutorial you can do just that.

I see that the tutorial doesn't explain that you need to TELNET to your WL-HDD via "putty" (a useful telnet prog.) and he uses NANO as a text editor.

I have installed much more from MACSAT starting at http://www.macsat.com/ipkg.php

This might be a "too big" of a step for you if you only want SAMBA working.

Sjoerd

grumpa
14-09-2005, 19:44
PeeWee ... once again I stubled into PuTTY. I can Telnet into the server, but for some reason can't execute any of the commands correctly (eg: mkdir). I logon with my id and password ... it tells me I'm in the root ... I can change directories to /opt ... but stop right there ... I can get through this if I can break the secret how to issue commands while in Telnet ... should I start in another directory? I am almost there ... I have a screenshot of my Telnet seesion if you want me to email it to you.
Thanks.

peewee
14-09-2005, 20:21
PeeWee ... once again I stubled into PuTTY. I can Telnet into the server, but for some reason can't execute any of the commands correctly (eg: mkdir). I logon with my id and password ... it tells me I'm in the root ... I can change directories to /opt ... but stop right there ... I can get through this if I can break the secret how to issue commands while in Telnet ... should I start in another directory? I am almost there ... I have a screenshot of my Telnet seesion if you want me to email it to you.
Thanks.

Reading MACSAT's SAMBA tutorial I noticed this: "When creating the start-up script at the end of this Tutorial, I consider your setup to be simular to the setup I created in the ipkg Tutorial "

If you haven't doen this, your "/OPT" will be pointing (mounted) to a read only file system that you cannot change.

In telnet / putty you are in a immediate mode just like dos or windows cmd.

Sjoerd