PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Exposed Host (DMZ) & Online Games

chrus
20-04-2004, 00:01
I have received my WL-500g today. Everything is working fine now: WAN, LAN, WLAN, Printing, eMule,...

I haven't tested it, but I'm really interested what Online Games does function (making Server or participating as Client) without problems.
I'm especially interested in:
- Age of Empires 2 - Conquerors
- Medal of Honor - Allied Assault
- Empire Earth

I use Firmware v1.7.5.6 CR2 [Oleg]

Wisi
20-04-2004, 01:33
if you insert your client as exposed host it would be the same as if the client is connected directly to internet, so no problems with any games

but be careful

exposed host should have an own personal firewall :)

chrus
20-04-2004, 13:28
Hey Wisi; nice to see you here again ;-)

I have heard that on other routers the DMZ/Exp.Host-Function does not function really good on some applications/games. If for the Asus there will be no problems: perfect. I will check to try it.

As for the Personal Firewall: I deactivate that during Online Games, because I had sometimes performance problems...

Even with things like Winamp-Streams (~140 kbps) I have problems with my software firewall. So I make me with IP-Profiler (http://home.arcor.de/groschh/ipprofiler/) different profiles and change between DMZ/Exp.Host IP and DHCP.

Wisi
20-04-2004, 13:36
ok, so there should be no problem, i have a local mailserver running on my pc and i have no problems to reach this server from wan side.

ftp is also workin, so i exect no problems.

chrus
22-04-2004, 10:54
Yesterday I was trying to enter in a Age of Empires 2 (The Age of Conquerors) Game that a friend of me has started (TCP/IP Online Game). But tough as Exposed Host I was not able to see the Server (Of the Game) started, after entering the IP of my friend. Only after plug the network cable directly in the modem and connecting over PPPoE I was able to see my friends game and entering to play...

Other online-progs like EMule goes well. I have found a description about this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/4/29.ASP

But I don't know if other settings then put the Game-PC-IP as Exposed Host are necessary. AFAIK port forwarding with this setting is not needed. The indication about UPnP says me nothing.

I use Win Xp SP1 with newest patches, DX 9 and login as Admin.

Any suggestions?

chrus
22-04-2004, 18:33
My problems was relative...
I had the problems with the "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter" configured in the IP adressroom 192.168.1.x

Testing it with the "Ethernet Card" configured as 192.168.1.x I had no problems.

Now I have enabled the Wireless Firewall, the Wireless Firewall - DHCP Server and assigned to the WLAN-Card an IP like 192.168.2.x and everything seems to go well...

but don't ask me why...